Author Topic: Solaris Match - The Factory  (Read 4779 times)

Alex Keller

• Captain
Solaris Match - The Factory
« on: 18 August 2012, 01:11:44 »
So after we finished up a segment from our AToW campaign set in the early days of the Jihad, Rimp and I got a quick Solaris VII match in in honor of GenCon's CamoSpecs diorama!

Forces:

Rimp's 'Mech was a Gargoyle C, built for close combat dueling.  I took a Summoner C myself, something that could use some maneuverability to get in some devastating close range shots.  Unfortunately, neither of us was particularly good at using the terrain our first time in the Factory.

Turn 1
Rimp wins initiative and elects to start on "B", the location on a level 3 elevated gantry.  That puts me and my Summoner inside the broken chemical tower.  Rimp runs his Gargoyle down the ramp, while my Summoner makes its way out of the tower and close to the elevated bridge.  No line of sight, so the first 10 seconds of the match is all anticipation.

Turn 2
I win initiative.  Rimp moves his Gargoyle into the doorway of the large 2 story building.  I jump my summoner up onto the bridge and into the top floor of the large 2 story building.  No LOS...  The fans are getting restless 20 seconds into the match!

Turn 3
I win initiative.  Rimp moves his Gargoyle deeper into the building and into the open pit, where he can see my Summoner standing on the edge.  At the cost of overheating, both Mechwarriors alpha strike! Rimp's Gargoyle tears huge wholes into the Summoner as the Ultra AC/20 shears all the armor off the Summoner's right arm.  Under advanced TacOps rules, Rimp gets 3 critical hits to the arm, taking out the Shoulder, Upper Arm Actuator and Lower Arm Actuator.  It'll be a +4 penalty for the Summoner to file its ER Large and ER Small lasers.  Five ER Medium Lasers score direct hits along the torso and arm, a glancing blow hits the left arm.  In return, my Summoner torso twists and looks down on the Gargoyle.  My Summoner's Ultra AC/20 scores with both slugs, tearing into the center and left torso.  The ER Large Laser hits the center torso again, and the ER Small Laser hits a leg.  The Streak SRM-6 peppers the Gargoyle.  Both Mechwarriors immediately feel the heat from their weapon attacks, but they maintain control and succeed in standing.

Turn 4
I win initiative again.  Dogged by heat, I take my Summoner down the ramp.  Meanwhile, Rimp slogs his Gargoyle into the elevator.

Turn 5
Who wins initiative?  It doesn't matter.  Both sides are in for blood.  Rimp exits the elevator and stands on the edge of the whole in the floor, gazing at where he once stood.  I am more than happy to meet him as I run my cooled off Summoner into range.  Both sides alpha strike!

At close range, Rimp's Gargoyle hits with both UAC/20 slugs. They shred the armor off my center torso and right torso, scoring an engine hit and killing one of my jump jets in the center torso.  The 6 medium lasers spread fire across my 'mech's legs and arms.  One laser even hits my head, but I'm able to remain conscious. 

In return, my Ultra AC/20 fires back, cutting into the Gargoyle's internal torso structure. My targeting computer registers a heat spike as my autocannon damages the Gargoyle's engine shielding.  My ER Large Laser misses, thanks to the difficulty of firing with no working arm actuators, but somehow my ER Small Laser hits, scoring damage on a leg.  More importantly, one of my SRM's touches off the Gargoyle's AC/20 ammunition.  BOOOM!  With three engine hits, Rimp's Gargoyle loses power and crumples unceremoniously to the ground.  Victory is mine!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: Solaris Match - The Factory
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2012, 04:13:58 »
Nice Duel.

Shame about the ammo boom. But it is the way of the Battletech at times.

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2012, 08:53:50 »
Nice Duel.

Shame about the ammo boom. But it is the way of the Battletech at times.

But what would battletech be without the occasional star spangled banner style finale?  >:D

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2012, 13:01:25 »
I have to admit, it was nice to have a 1v1 game.  We typically play huge campaign style where the smallest battle has at least 8 units.