Author Topic: [Meta] More Obvious Mod Requests  (Read 2893 times)

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
[Meta] More Obvious Mod Requests
« on: 01 May 2019, 09:39:01 »
I've gotten a couple warnings over the years for ignoring mod requests, which is fair enough. But I've found both of them frustrating, because in neither case did I realize that it was an actual mod request until I got the warning. Mods are very active forum participants too, and it's not always clear in the moment what the difference between "I think this topic is silly" and "You'd better stop discussing this topic" are. I'd like, if possible, for the mods on this forum to try to distinguish between them in a way that's more obvious.

Most other forums I've ever been on, any official mod request has been flagged as such in one way or another - red text(sometimes with a signature saying "If I'm typing in red text, it means I'm speaking as a moderator"), prefacing it with "Word of Mod", or something of that sort. An obvious way to distinguish between mod-as-member and mod-as-moderator, so that it's a lot harder to make the mistake I made.

Obviously, I can't and shouldn't demand anything, but I know that I'd really appreciate it if that were to become a common practice. If I'm the only one, then I should just suck it up and read more carefully. But if a lot of other members feel the same way I do, and the mods think it's reasonable, I think it ought to be something that can change. And looking at some of the threads where these things happen, I suspect I might not be the only one making this mistake.

To be clear, I'm not protesting my warnings, and I'm not trying to attack the mod team. They do good work, and this forum is better because of their efforts. But I think this would improve things, and reduce inadvertent rulebreaking. I don't like being the guy acting badly, and I really don't like being blindsided by the fact that I'm doing so. Stumbling into a ditch is unpleasant for all involved, and I think this would make a good guardrail.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2019, 21:38:05 by Alsadius »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: [Meta] More Obvious Mod Requests
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2019, 15:12:12 »
Hey.

Just so you know, the mods and staff are discussing this behind the scenes.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2019, 15:36:46 »
Hey.

Just so you know, the mods and staff are discussing this behind the scenes.

Thank you for the update.  :)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2019, 15:40:20 »
Thank you for the update.  :)

Zero promises one way or the other. Just, your post wasn't ignored.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2019, 17:36:12 »
Zero promises one way or the other. Just, your post wasn't ignored.

Yeah, but that's all I can really ask for.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2019, 03:52:28 »
Yeah, but that's all I can really ask for.

Truly apologize for the delay. From now on mod directives will look like this

***MOD DIRECTIVE***
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Register