Author Topic: Capellan Aerospace organization.  (Read 3133 times)

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
Capellan Aerospace organization.
« on: 02 October 2019, 22:00:29 »
 I seem to recall that it was stated somewhere that the CCAF organized their basic fighter units (flights/air lances/sections etc.) in groups of 3 rather than 2 like almost everyone else. It got me wondering how their squadrons were organized. Are the 9 fighters strong (3 flights of 3) or 6 strong like most others (2 flights of 3).
 It also got me wondering how they interfaced with standard dropship designs. Standard Union's & Leopard's only have space for 2 fighters each. Overlord's are okay with space for 6. I thought Leopard CV's might be the answer but the write up on Sarna.net for the Quetzalcoatl says that the Confederation had no fighter carrier production of their own.
 Of course, if I'm wrong about this then the whole question is irrelevant.
 (note: I'm using the qualifier `most' because I am aware that there are units that do use a non-standard organization - like the 1st Drakkons - but this seems to be on a unit by unit basis, rather than a National Policy).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Capellan Aerospace organization.
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2019, 23:46:57 »
The opening of "The Sword and the Dagger" gives the following description:

"Next came specially rigged and fitted freighters that disgorged hosts of AeroSpace Fighters strapped with fuel tanks more massive than themselves."

Sounds like the CCAF's aerospace arm uses Mules or Mammoths retrofitted as aerospace fighter carriers.  Since those are custom refits in any event, they could certainly rig them for multiples of three.

The squadron in the scene has six fighters, so two flights of 3 in a squadron.  Thus, a standard Overlord has two flights.  Pilot Uchita Tucker notes that the CCAF fighters are usually transshipped from the jump point to the target world in Overlords or Unions.  That implies that the CCAF uses modified Unions (Union CVs) to carry fighters in support of planetary assaults (presumably 12 fighters per Union CV, making two squadrons/four flights).  This wasn't done on Stein's Folly because the JumpShip berths that would have held those CVs were filled with troop carriers (Overlords).
« Last Edit: 03 October 2019, 00:11:40 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2019, 00:00:26 »
I seem to recall that it was stated somewhere that the CCAF organized their basic fighter units (flights/air lances/sections etc.) in groups of 3 rather than 2 like almost everyone else. It got me wondering how their squadrons were organized. Are the 9 fighters strong (3 flights of 3) or 6 strong like most others (2 flights of 3).
 It also got me wondering how they interfaced with standard dropship designs. Standard Union's & Leopard's only have space for 2 fighters each. Overlord's are okay with space for 6. I thought Leopard CV's might be the answer but the write up on Sarna.net for the Quetzalcoatl says that the Confederation had no fighter carrier production of their own.
 Of course, if I'm wrong about this then the whole question is irrelevant.
 (note: I'm using the qualifier `most' because I am aware that there are units that do use a non-standard organization - like the 1st Drakkons - but this seems to be on a unit by unit basis, rather than a National Policy).

As far as dropships; it works better than does ComStar/WOB's Level system. Oi...

As far as the details here....I snipped this from my copy of the old FM:CC. Looks like they flex a bit.

The opening of "The Sword and the Dagger" gives the following description:

"Next came specially rigged and fitted freighters that disgorged hosts of AeroSpace Fighters strapped with fuel tanks more massive than themselves."

Sounds like the CCAF's aerospace arm uses Mules or Mammoths retrofitted as aerospace fighter carriers.  Since those are customs refits in any event, they could certainly rig them for multiples of three.

That really cool, actually. And I always figured there must be military variants of the Mule; particularly a fighter carrier.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2019, 00:31:53 »
 Thanks.
 My other thought that it is maybe a Defensive / Offensive difference. Permanently assigned planetary defense units use the 3 unit organization while more mobile line units use the 2 unit set-up.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2019, 07:27:14 »
Not according to canon. There seems to be only one structure in place. Though that does make the provision of DropShips problematic for the CCAF. One also has to wonder, when this shift from standard IS organization took place and why. If this was an invention of an era before the Succession Wars, there should be DropShips available supporting that organization, e. g. enlarged and modified Unions that simply add another ASF berth. That's basically half-way to a Union-C in tonnage: 3,600 tons for the Union, 4,500 tons for the Union-C, a Union-C(CAF) might only need 4,000 tons, though, but it would need to provide for 15 units as well.

But if the invention of the typical CCAF ASF organization is a thing of the Succession Wars, then one begs to ask how they accomplished any DropShip support. Certainly, Mule-CVs are a possibility, but we never got stats for them. They're also very big, which is fine for large scale operations, but not for the company-sized raids of the Third Succession War. Also, Mules are vulnerable. Sure, the British flew Harriers off of freighters during the Falklands War, but that's not an ideal situation. Might fit the 3SW-train though. ::)
liber et infractus

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2019, 20:26:05 »
Not according to canon. There seems to be only one structure in place. Though that does make the provision of DropShips problematic for the CCAF. One also has to wonder, when this shift from standard IS organization took place and why. If this was an invention of an era before the Succession Wars, there should be DropShips available supporting that organization, e. g. enlarged and modified Unions that simply add another ASF berth. That's basically half-way to a Union-C in tonnage: 3,600 tons for the Union, 4,500 tons for the Union-C, a Union-C(CAF) might only need 4,000 tons, though, but it would need to provide for 15 units as well.

But if the invention of the typical CCAF ASF organization is a thing of the Succession Wars, then one begs to ask how they accomplished any DropShip support. Certainly, Mule-CVs are a possibility, but we never got stats for them. They're also very big, which is fine for large scale operations, but not for the company-sized raids of the Third Succession War. Also, Mules are vulnerable. Sure, the British flew Harriers off of freighters during the Falklands War, but that's not an ideal situation. Might fit the 3SW-train though. ::)

I'd say Buccaneers.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2019, 16:15:49 »
Drost IIB, 2470 updated AeroCarrier.

Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 4...

Old design still floating around even in the Dark Age!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2019, 15:37:03 »
The CapCon isn't 3-fighter units for all units.

As that chart shows they use them for Command Units & the sometimes on the line.

The idea of Offensive/Defensive split is interesting but I don't think we have any proof either way.

I'm not sure why DS transport would be an issue.  They still form a Tier-2 total of 6 fighters regardless of base 2 or base 3, so things like LEO-CV & Overlord work there.

The Base-2 option means Leopards & Unions are also just fine.

The only real issue would be 18 fighter carriers like the Titan that the SLDF used but since that ship would be rare to non-existent in CapCon hands its a non-issue.

Also, the Mule is HUGE & has the capacity to carry well over a battalion of fighters.

I think the term "Freighter" might be better applied to that Union variant thingy like the Grey Death used, Trojan? IIRC.

One of those could be fitted to carry a 12 fighter CapCon unit, maybe more, I don't recall the exact cargo level that ship has.

There is even the armed variant of the Union (CV) which would give you 14 bays.

Meanwhile the Vengeance covers any issues of moving a full 39 fighter wing.

Doe the story in "Sword & Dagger" actually spell out 2 Triples?    Its been a long time since I read it & my copy is in storage.   But I do seem to recall the pilot talking about herself & her wingman, not wingMEN.  So that would imply deployment in pairs.  But like I said memory fuzzy from long ago.

It occurs to me that the 2 man v/s 3 man issue might be dependent on what Dropships they are assigned since Leo/Union would break up a Triple.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register