Author Topic: Random lore thought about ASF's  (Read 1537 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Random lore thought about ASF's
« on: 19 January 2020, 11:28:52 »
Aerospace fighters are what we'd call a SSTO or Single Stage to Orbit craft, aka a space plane, that can also manouver etc and fight as a plane in space or atmo. But I was thinking (and with me that's always risky) would a ASF actually have enough thrust and fuel to get it into space? I don't think that if you launched a fighter from your typical terra type world that you'd have much in the way of endurance once you get out of space and into orbit, limiting their capabilities to near earth orbit and the like without risking running out of fuel and then becoming a bit of valuable salvage.

So if that's not a thing, would a ASF have some jettonable boosters that would be used to get it up and get it fast enough before its engine takes over and they then leave the atmosphere and get into space with something resembling a fuel supply? Or am I just thinking too much into this?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Random lore thought about ASF's
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2020, 11:45:51 »
BT fusion rockets are ridiculously fuel efficient, even in "tactical" mode.  Strategic mode manages to outperform pure matter/anti-matter annihilation.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2020, 12:50:20 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2020, 15:10:06 »
ASFs don't even need droptanks to get to the moon, it just cuts the time down considerably.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2020, 15:14:33 »
BT fusion rockets are ridiculously fuel efficient, even in "tactical" mode.  Strategic mode manages to outperform pure matter/anti-matter annihilation.
my headcanon is that since KF drive physics was developed from studies of weird effects within fusion powerplants, BT fusion uses a method that actually results in a small amount of energy from hyperspace leaking into the fusion chamber. so BT fusion is basically Zero Point Energy enhanced.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2020, 15:15:30 »
That could work... you still have to squint pretty hard, but it CAN work...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2020, 15:19:16 »
would also help explain why the efficiency goes away when you are recharging a KF drive. makes it less about "how much fuel to meet the power need" and more about "how inefficently do we have to run the ships powerplant to avoid it's field effects from screwing up our KF core?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2020, 15:25:32 »
Another +1 for that... good idea!  :thumbsup:

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2020, 09:51:41 »
would also help explain why the efficiency goes away when you are recharging a KF drive. makes it less about "how much fuel to meet the power need" and more about "how inefficently do we have to run the ships powerplant to avoid it's field effects from screwing up our KF core?"

Hey, I'll buy that!  Considering FTL travel is a thing in the BTU, I don't find it too hard to rationalize the way some stuff happens  :thumbsup:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register