Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: "The Anvil" and "A Splinter of Hope" Novellas  (Read 18705 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Re: NEW RELEASE: "The Anvil" and "A Splinter of Hope" Novellas
« Reply #30 on: 01 August 2018, 11:29:56 »
ok, so I'll download an app and go from there. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Cheers!

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 01 August 2018, 15:33:46 »
I have to say I quite enjoyed Splinter of Hope.  Without going into spoilers, I think it gives Fedrats and Crapellans a lot of what probably attracted them to each respective faction without being very hamfisted with stereotypes.  As someone who was introduced to Battletech through reading the novels instead of actual tabletop games, Im glad that the novels are making a comeback.  Here is hoping full length novels will be brought back as well as the novella was a little light on in-universe details.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #32 on: 01 August 2018, 20:18:55 »
Ok, my dark age fu is weak. When did <redacted> get behind the wall and get out? Asking for Splinter of hope.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 01 August 2018, 20:29:00 »
Ok, my dark age fu is weak. When did <redacted> get behind the wall and get out? Asking for Splinter of hope.

Probably 3145.  See page 25 of FM3145.  Looks like it was probably part of the voyage from Callison.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2018, 20:31:25 by Tai Dai Cultist »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: 01 August 2018, 20:50:22 »
It's in Shattered Fortress
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 01 August 2018, 20:58:24 »
So, I'm sure it's just an oversight, but in The Anvil we have a moment where Stephanie Chistu's Jade Hawk is referred to as an OmniMech. But the Jade Hawk is a Battlemech. Any chance we're getting an Omni variant of the ride? :D
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 01 August 2018, 21:59:11 »
So, I'm sure it's just an oversight, but in The Anvil we have a moment where Stephanie Chistu's Jade Hawk is referred to as an OmniMech. But the Jade Hawk is a Battlemech. Any chance we're getting an Omni variant of the ride? :D
My guess is that its a simple slip up, I picked up a few other types of slip ups in there

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #37 on: 02 August 2018, 01:14:47 »
Not sure why the Lyran's aren't nuking the Falcons. The problem with the mongol doctrine is that the Lyrans can do it too.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #38 on: 02 August 2018, 02:19:13 »
Spoiler - I have done my best to make this as illegible as possible. Highlight it if you want to see what I wrote.

Jade Falcons are apparently terrible at melee fighting. Clan Sea Fox should remember this for future trials. Someone grabbed a spear and the wielder was surprised! Apparently they use these spears often, as far as I can tell in color guard exhibitions.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #39 on: 02 August 2018, 02:21:12 »
Not a pro-tip because I'm an amateur, but if you make text white, make it glow white and shadow white then it is very hard to read. At least for me.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 02 August 2018, 06:41:43 »
As for the stuff you were trying to hide, I don't think it was a total surprise that she would think to make that move, but more a surprise based on her previous reactions in that battle.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 02 August 2018, 07:49:00 »
It's in Shattered Fortress

Thank you Wantec, Tai Dai.  Poking my way through it.  I'm reminded of Lord Palmerston's famous quote. “England has no eternal friends, England has no perpetual enemies, England has only eternal and perpetual interests”

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
« Reply #42 on: 02 August 2018, 12:25:24 »
Finally New novels to advance the timeline. YEAH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Order both via amazon, and found both books to be surprisingly good.

Sad on some the characters outcomes, but left with hope for the future.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #43 on: 03 August 2018, 09:54:05 »
Spoilers ahead!

My guess is that its a simple slip up, I picked up a few other types of slip ups in there
Anvil was pretty solid, outside of the detail problems that were not caught- which is a little problematic- but while I could deal with the narrative in A Splinter of Hope, I was not a fan of how the two main meta characters were portrayed.  It was almost the same jarring continuity feeling from A Call to Arms to the Proving Grounds fiasco with Tassa Kay/Anastasia Kerensky.  Danai's character was pretty well established in her last few MWDA novel appearances and IIRC she had quit referring to Daoshen as her 'brother' in her own mind since she had learned the truth.  She was mentally capitalizing 'Enemy' like her old lancemate that was in command of the Dynasty Guard and she had not been that bloodthirsty- duty bound & unflinching but she solved some of her problems with guile.

Julian's difference is a bit more explainable for narrative purposes- 3-4 years leading a government in exile with most of his territory lost and being mostly at war since the mid 30s- first aiding the Republic, then being sent to die with the Lyrans against the Clans, and then finally struggling back to the FedSuns with the loss of a lot of support.  However during all that time, he had led from the front and put his life on the line to protect other soldiers so some of the internal thoughts did not line up to who he had been.  He had also been piloting a Templar III since his first appearance, and I expect Shattered Fortress will make the Dawn Guard's origin more clear.  Edit-  To be clear, I disagree with Cubby that he was one dimensional in MWDA.  I think he was a tad naive while being so convinced of his place that he did not see himself being groomed to become First Prince.  The faux relationship with Sandra Felon from Chesterton to keep Amanda Hasek happy, his involvement with Zhou & Levin balancing his commitments as a ally while serving his own House properly, and his interactions with rogue Knight Conner Monroe as the Fortress announcement spreads are all part of his development and show the depth IMO.  He has ideals and he sticks with them . . . but you might say until he met Gavin, they were never challenged.  We may not LIKE his decision but we know a lot more OOC details, and history is filled with power struggles within as enemies pound on the gate- along with how bad that turns out.  Bonfire might start to show his pragmatism coming to the fore with his remarks to Anastasia about taking her from Alaric.

Roderick has green eyes- specifically noted b/c they are outside the Steiner norm, his Rifleman IIC had 2 LPL and 2 ACs, Ultras I think per MWDA and more importantly Bonfire of Worlds which was a CGL product.

Jasek pilots a Templar III, as discussed about the cover's being a Templar I.  As described in the book, he was still sporting the Stormhammer colors- and it seemed they were rolled into his Arcturan Guards unit.

Anvil's biggest flaw was in a character who appeared in the opening of the story and the close- Cynthy . . . Malvina saved her from her infantry, spoiled her and yes treated her something like a pet.  Malvina gave her treats- we see her eating a chocolate treat in Bonfire of Worlds on the bridge of a DS before a Trial- and at one point told her she would gift her the galaxy after killing everyone else off.  She even seems to have mentally set her outside the way she views everyone else as being split into the caste system which caused some questions among the warriors about why the child/teen was special.  Malvina loved her in her sick twisted way, and was raising a fellow psychopath . . . but five years later has so abused her and shifted her view of Cynthy that she uses her as a object lesson of what the IS will become & to unsettle other Falcons in different ways.  Her ER3145 write up is definitely a POV character from the outside looking in and a single sentence from that seems to be where that version of the character came from while her interactions in Bonfire & MWDA novels paint a different picture.  Do I have a problem with the epilogue foreshadowing?  No, and I could definitely see Bonfire Cynthy doing the same thing though for different reasons.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2018, 13:16:55 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 03 August 2018, 12:41:34 »
Funny you mention that, I noticed Cynthy feeling really different as well.

Also, was that some serious foreshadowing how she accepted and then hid that knife? And is Stephanie Chistu really that calculating?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 03 August 2018, 12:52:16 »
Jasek pilots a Templar III, as discussed about the cover's being a Templar I.  As described in the book, he was still sporting the Stormhammer colors- and it seemed they were rolled into his Arcturan Guards unit.
Hunh? In the novella it was only ever described as a Templar I. It even carried the Prime loadout.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #46 on: 03 August 2018, 13:20:12 »
Sure . . . but from Skye in Flight of the Falcon to Bonfire of Worlds, its a Templar III with a TRO-standard load out.  With it sounding like it was his long time mech and the emotional attachment the subordinate had to 'his' mech . . . its a background detail problem just like the Jade Hawk being a Omni.  Its why the cover was being dissected with the old Templar I in the wrong colors.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 03 August 2018, 13:35:42 »
Just thought of something that made me laugh!

Maybe in the Battle for New Syrtis, the Capellans did us a solid and destroyed the Garm factory line once and for all.

Burn it, burn it with fire!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #48 on: 03 August 2018, 13:37:56 »
The Garm is a great mech . . . for killing vehicles.
Colt Ward

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #49 on: 03 August 2018, 13:54:28 »
I was going to say, I seem to remember Cynthy killing someone...

Or watching someone be killed gleefully?

It's been a long time. But her personality makes a serious shift in this book.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #50 on: 03 August 2018, 13:56:45 »
I am upset that Clan Sea Fox is not mentioned in A Splinter of Hope at all. I hope we are not forgotten in Shattered Fortress the same way. We got him there. [/quote]

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 03 August 2018, 14:13:18 »
I was going to say, I seem to remember Cynthy killing someone...

Or watching someone be killed gleefully?

It's been a long time. But her personality makes a serious shift in this book.

Bonfire of Worlds, she set up a lower caste to be killed after 'he' made Malvina look foolish by leaving a workstation with a open mike.  Bec is has his hunch and then sees Malvina find chocolate on the controls- which is what I referenced earlier.
Colt Ward

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 03 August 2018, 18:46:22 »
Not the first time that different authors have imbued a character with radically different personalities.

Just look at the many faces of Anastasia Kerensky.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 03 August 2018, 19:01:54 »
Those are solved by paying attention to the broad brush of the actions they performed. "That was another author" is an annoying argument to deal with. They still did the things they did in the novel.

Spoilers! To get them off my chest.

On Julian Davion's fate:
Guess the authors got tired of Gigavictor being Gigavictor, so they cut out all the excess. They may have cut a little too much, because he's Ox now. Hope the Davion family is robust.

On the end of Shredded Hope:

Apparently Danai is now an eldritch abomination, able to use Yen-lo-wang's axe to cut through space and time, do as she wishes and then return. She now is able to rebuke Daoshen. She's very powerful now.

ANd finally, it's not much of a spoiler, but Templar IIIs do suck and we seem them act as the Apollo principle in motion in both books here.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #54 on: 03 August 2018, 21:11:22 »
The broad brush?  I was pointing out the MWDA and more importantly Bonfire references to two of the three characters- which is the 'broader' brush.

A character changing from being pampered- given chocolate to eat on the bridge and in front of lower castes as she follows Malvina around and in another scene having her hair brushed gently by Malvina- then going to being a literal beaten, cringing, servile 'bellycrawler' character is quite different.  Heck, I do not have Rending in front of me, but I think Malvina had Elemental body guards and a nurse assigned to Cynthi- most of which were killed in the blast to try to take out Malvina.  Its not 'its another author,' its a different character.

Templar IIIs are ok, just giving up the greater pod space you get from the I's XL to get increased survival with the LFE.
Colt Ward

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 03 August 2018, 22:07:24 »
Templar IIIs are ok, just giving up the greater pod space you get from the I's XL to get increased survival with the LFE.

I happen to love the T III and have had luck with them.

Unfortunately I don't know the DA characters enough for personality changes. I do remember the Cynthy change. Cynthy becomes ilKhan?

Personally I don't see why Yen Lo Want is feared. I mean how much of Justin's mech is left in that thing? If you had an Orion with Alexander's ashtray and Teddy's seat cushions, would everyone be in awe of it?

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #56 on: 04 August 2018, 06:45:54 »
The broad brush?  I was pointing out the MWDA and more importantly Bonfire references to two of the three characters- which is the 'broader' brush.

A character changing from being pampered- given chocolate to eat on the bridge and in front of lower castes as she follows Malvina around and in another scene having her hair brushed gently by Malvina- then going to being a literal beaten, cringing, servile 'bellycrawler' character is quite different.  Heck, I do not have Rending in front of me, but I think Malvina had Elemental body guards and a nurse assigned to Cynthi- most of which were killed in the blast to try to take out Malvina.  Its not 'its another author,' its a different character.

Cynthy was a kid back then, she's a teenager now. She being a different character is completely understandable.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #57 on: 04 August 2018, 07:17:27 »
And if Cynthy was anywhere near the blast, well, PTSD can hit kids hard.  Especially if she blamed herself (or was blamed at first by Malvina)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #58 on: 04 August 2018, 07:24:19 »
Are these availble as PDF's? I don't have a reader or anything.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #59 on: 04 August 2018, 07:55:32 »
Kindle and nook both have pc apps if you need to read on your laptop

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register