Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: "The Anvil" and "A Splinter of Hope" Novellas  (Read 18676 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: NEW RELEASE: "The Anvil" and "A Splinter of Hope" Novellas
« Reply #60 on: 04 August 2018, 10:57:22 »
Cynthy was a kid back then, she's a teenager now. She being a different character is completely understandable.

Its about 4 and a half years from the end of Bonfire until we see her in Anvil.  I am eagerly looking forward to Shattered Fortress because there are a few things that might change it, but when last seen in Bonfire Cynthi had taken Alek's place in Malvina's heart- if Malvina had her way Cynthi would be the sole survivor of the human race and inherit the whole of human space in her internal monologue.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #61 on: 05 August 2018, 14:50:47 »
Got done reading The Anvil yesterday.

Malvina was not subtle with the new Falcon uniforms, was she?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 05 August 2018, 15:49:05 »

I'm currently reading through "The Anvil" as well and was thinking the exact same thing.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 05 August 2018, 17:04:55 »
Cynthy was a kid back then, she's a teenager now. She being a different character is completely understandable.

She's also being raised by an unstable, violent psychopath who makes Romano Liao look calm and rational by comparison.  Even if Malvina was treating her nicely before, it would be pretty unlikely that Cynthy's never felt her wrath in the intervening four years.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #64 on: 05 August 2018, 17:40:56 »
Got done reading The Anvil yesterday.

Pretty sure Malvina and subtle have never been on speaking terms.......

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
« Reply #65 on: 06 August 2018, 09:56:10 »

Length of the book wouldn't have helped make Malvina more understandable.  If you want this, go to Vic's books that cover her rise to power.  She is who she is.  Her choice of uniform fits here.  She's the kind of person that would choose that, regardless of the implications.  For her, it is a way to see those who really follow her and her doctrine. 
There's some reality with Malvina.  The Clans tend to follow winners and Malvina is winning, meaning they can overlook HOW she wins. 
I can't go on without revealing "stuff." 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #66 on: 06 August 2018, 10:04:04 »
The really funny thing with Malvina?

Just how good is the Sea Fox Watch?  How good is their personality/predictive analysis?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 06 August 2018, 11:13:34 »
I can't go on without revealing "stuff." 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

No, go on. We like when Stuff is revealed.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 06 August 2018, 15:08:51 »
I do always crack up when people say I get paint schemes wrong or the variant of the 'Mech isn't right.  First off, paint schemes change over time in 'Mech units.  Second, sometimes your main ride gets blown up and you replace it with something close to it.  A lot of stuff happens "off camera" that is not worth referencing in something short like a novella. 

I didn't feel married to the paint scheme from the Click-Mechs for Jasek...it really is that simple.  I rather like how it came out. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 06 August 2018, 16:02:25 »
Of course, plenty of us don't have the slightest clue what Jasek's Clicky-Tech paint scheme was anyway.

What surprised me in the mech department was the traditionalist Falcon piloting a Jade Hawk and the Mongol piloting a Thor.  That was pretty much the opposite of what I expected.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #70 on: 06 August 2018, 17:03:25 »
I do always crack up when people say I get paint schemes wrong or the variant of the 'Mech isn't right.  First off, paint schemes change over time in 'Mech units.  Second, sometimes your main ride gets blown up and you replace it with something close to it.  A lot of stuff happens "off camera" that is not worth referencing in something short like a novella. 

I didn't feel married to the paint scheme from the Click-Mechs for Jasek...it really is that simple.  I rather like how it came out. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

Actually your description of the colors did match Jasek's Stormhammer paint scheme, but what I was pointing to was the cover art which did not.  The scheme was also in several CGL products, so its not just Clicky.  As for the Templar I vs III, part of that same discussion was that it would give him more firepower than his III had at the expense of endurance and while a rare mech for the Lyrans his rank would likely have it passed his way.

Roderick's eyes & the Rifleman were more of a discrepancy- his color was 'weird' for a Steiner, and Shattered Fortress clearly says he had a RLF IIC 3 (cannot remember if it was customized) which is in line with the Bonfire and the customization easy to guess at from the description.

Anyway, I think its a detail thing and was not trying to slam your work- your work is what got me into BT, the good old MW2 Guide.
Colt Ward

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #71 on: 06 August 2018, 17:16:22 »
I didn't take it as a slam.  It made me smile. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

russtarvin

• Private
« Reply #72 on: 07 August 2018, 10:31:32 »
I know this is a stickler kind of thing, but is the Main Battletech website (Latest Releases page) going to be updated with the newly released novels and the like?  I used to use that as a backup just in case I missed something in the forums, but if that is out of date and the store is not very helpful to find new products it adds difficulty to finding new Battletech items that I have been jonesing/itching (like an addict) for.

« Last Edit: 07 August 2018, 10:33:53 by russtarvin »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #73 on: 07 August 2018, 10:33:29 »
Everybody's probably still recovering from GenCon.

russtarvin

• Private
« Reply #74 on: 07 August 2018, 10:34:53 »
Ahh, that makes sense, Thanks!  I am very happy to have new stuff to get lost in.

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #75 on: 07 August 2018, 11:30:33 »
I read "The Anvil" first since Pardoe is my favorite BTech author (a position further cemented by what happened with Jasek) and then felt bad because I figured "A Splinter of Hope" couldn't possibly compare, but I was decidedly wrong. Having enjoyed both greatly, then blazing through "Shattered Fortress," I'm really excited for the next few years of products.

Well done, gentlemen.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #76 on: 07 August 2018, 16:25:23 »
I know this is a stickler kind of thing, but is the Main Battletech website (Latest Releases page) going to be updated with the newly released novels and the like?  I used to use that as a backup just in case I missed something in the forums, but if that is out of date and the store is not very helpful to find new products it adds difficulty to finding new Battletech items that I have been jonesing/itching (like an addict) for.

It was mentioned to me last week (I'm not ignoring you, Moonsword, I swear!) and it's on my list to do.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 08 August 2018, 17:56:20 »
Malvina left subtle in the rearview mirror about 100 kilometers ago...

And, for the record, there was a reason for the uniform thingy.  Everything in The Anvil is there for a reason.  One of the cool parts of BattleTech is when you finally make those connections and say, "Damn, I have to go back and re-read that part from book X now!" 

Sinister chortle mode on...

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 08 August 2018, 18:11:32 »
How long is it going to be before she changes her title to Fuehrer?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #79 on: 09 August 2018, 22:15:26 »
Just so you guys know the spoiler button is operational again. You don't have to write out the spoiler tag.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #80 on: 14 August 2018, 06:20:43 »
Question regarding The Anvil and A Splinter of Hope, while they are available on Kindle, are they expected to make it to drivethrurpg or the Catalyst store as an ebook purchase sometime in the future?  I like to keep all my items in one or two places :)  Thanks!

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 14 August 2018, 07:52:07 »
Question regarding The Anvil and A Splinter of Hope, while they are available on Kindle, are they expected to make it to drivethrurpg or the Catalyst store as an ebook purchase sometime in the future?  I like to keep all my items in one or two places :)  Thanks!

They are already on DriveThruFiction.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2018, 07:58:09 by Geont »
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 14 August 2018, 09:16:52 »
They are already on DriveThruFiction.

Dang it! When did they move the e-books over there? I was still looking on the RPG site where they had put up all the Legends stuff and didn't see them. I ended up having to fight my way through the B&N Nook ecosystem to get them!

CungrVanck

• Warrant Officer
  • Inner Sphere Historian
« Reply #83 on: 15 August 2018, 08:19:28 »
Dang it! When did they move the e-books over there? I was still looking on the RPG site where they had put up all the Legends stuff and didn't see them.

Same here!  Now I will know to look there in the future.  They are now added to the archive.

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #84 on: 19 August 2018, 21:04:11 »
Can we all agree that, "Chistu's Knife," is now the BattleTech analogue to, "Checkov's Gun?"
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 19 August 2018, 21:51:07 »
No.  The defining requirement of Chekov's Gun is that it's introduced early in the story, plays no part in most of the story after that, and is recalled to serve a purpose vital to the climax.

In order for it to qualify it has to actually matter, not just be hinted at.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 19 August 2018, 21:59:53 »
And typically it doesn't serve as a focus of the scene it's introduced in.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 20 August 2018, 12:00:01 »
At this point, it appears likely to be a plot device...but as to how it will be used, that is not at all clear. Well, it's probably going to stab someone, but who, when, where, and why are still up for debate. I know which aorta I would prefer it gets plunged into, but don't assume that I'm necessarily going to get what I expect. If this were real life, I'd yell 'Occams Razor!' and say we know where it's probably going, but we are talking about writers here; I trust that group of plot-twist-loving mongrels about as far as I can throw them when it comes to foreshadowing!

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #88 on: 20 August 2018, 21:47:18 »
No.  The defining requirement of Chekov's Gun is that it's introduced early in the story, plays no part in most of the story after that, and is recalled to serve a purpose vital to the climax.

In order for it to qualify it has to actually matter, not just be hinted at.
Fair enough. I'm rather deficient in memory for tropes, apparently.
At this point, it appears likely to be a plot device...but as to how it will be used, that is not at all clear. Well, it's probably going to stab someone, but who, when, where, and why are still up for debate.... I trust that group of plot-twist-loving mongrels about as far as I can throw them when it comes to foreshadowing!

This is more like what I was thinking.

Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 21 August 2018, 17:44:50 »
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. 

Then again, I am getting more diabolical in my old age.  So is the knife could be a metaphor or something else. 

You'll just have to wait until next summer to find out.  Same Bat-time - same Bat-channel. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author