Author Topic: Rebuilding light armor unit  (Read 5598 times)

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Rebuilding light armor unit
« on: 16 May 2018, 04:42:03 »
Hello,

The players in my group find themselves in the need to rebuild their light armor forces.  Each of the four players has put forth an idea, but so far haven’t come to an agreement.

The idea’s to rebuild the light armor battalion so far – all agree to maintain the 3 lance/4 company structure.
1.   Stay with hovertanks for recon and fast strike/response. Purchase Pegasus and Fulcrums
2.   Purchase a lance of Galleon 102’s for each company, plus a lance of Myrmidon’s, and then keep the remaining hovertanks as is.
3.   Go with Myrmidons for everything.
4.   A lance each of Maxim’s to better support the infantry, a lance of Galleon’s for recon, and a lance of Fulcrums for the fast strike/response role.

What would be your thoughts on one of these idea's or something else entirely?

For reference –
This is an AU setting, but one easily recognizable. Biggest change I can think of is that Wolfs Dragoons created the AMC in 3062. Current year is 3067 and the FedCom Civil War is over.

The players are a merc unit, and are members of the AMC. AMC and WoB have been in a proxy war for 5 years.

They have one battlemech battalion (in a 4 lance companies/4 company structure, all heavies and assaults), one heavy vehicle battalion (3 lance companies/4 company), one infantry battalion (4 platoons/4 company), and an aerospace wing (24 fighters). Supporting units include artillery, air defense and a VTOL unit. They have full dropship support.

The light armor battalion that was beat up operated in a 3 lance/4 company structure. The entire unit was composed of hovertanks, of which 16 survived and are being placed back into service (Drillsons mainly).

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Rebuilding light armor unit
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2018, 07:04:12 »
Combo numbers 2 and 4.

Maxim''s and Myrmidon's with your remaining hovers you have leftover.

Recon with fire support/ Infantry abilities and fast strikers.

TT
« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 07:07:45 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2018, 08:52:57 »
The fast hovers work better as a hammer if they have a solid anvil to work against, like the Myrmidons.  Having a combination of the two gives you a lot more flexibility than only having one tool to work with.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2018, 13:39:34 »
Your anvil is already the mech & heavy vehicle battalions.  You need the cavalry option of hovertanks- so rebuild with all hovertanks gets my vote.  Not sure I would buy Fulcrums at their price tag, but whatever floats your boat- but go fast hovers.

Additionally your infantry should have their transport organic to their own formation- it avoids all sorts of command & control problems.  Mechanized infantry are different than plain infantry who get told they can ride in someone else's vehicles.  It comes down to training which BT is probably too abstracting them to display- basically the folks who work with the equipment every day will have the skills to operate more efficiently than the troops who do not.  It is that simple.

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2018, 16:15:28 »
I agree with Colt Ward on this. I would go with Fulcrums (standard and Heavy 2) using semi-guided LRMs, as they are fast and good at recon and carry TAG. 2 lances per company, plus a lance of Drillsons (Streak models, if you have them or upgrade them) make a fairly ferocious company. Just make sure all of them have the semi-guided LRMs, and watch the explosions... **ahem** As I was saying, I think this mix will work well, but as always, YMMV.
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2018, 21:35:26 »
Since I am not aware on whether the VTOLs are capable of transporting the infantry I'd take a lance of Maxims, a lance of Pegasus/Galleons (honestly depends on how much water is an obstacle compared to more broken terrain), and a lance of of Fulcrums.  I assume if they can afford a modest amount of Fulcrums then the cost of SG missiles is probably within their range as well.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2018, 00:05:47 »
It's looking like the hovertanks will win out in some fashion. The player that has been advocating remaining with that option is wanting to explore getting Bandit hovertanks from the Dragoons. He's liking the idea of a lance each of Bandits/Fulcrums/Drillsons. But if they can't get the Bandit, then he wants at least a couple of Pegasus for each company.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2018, 00:22:04 »
Omnis?  Eh . . . one thing to consider rather than Pegasus might be the Blizzard Black- should be easier to get as its in production on Epsilon Eridani specifically for sale to the merc market though that might depend on when Ep E gets added to the Protectorate.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2018, 00:36:21 »
Hmm I will mention that. I'm not overly familiar with it other than what I just read on Sarna.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2018, 20:08:48 »
I'd go cheap with all Goblins, all the time.  Lances would mix LRM, SRM and MG variants to carry two platoons per lance, making each essentially a combined arms company.  The hover version of that uses Maxims, Saladins, and Saracens.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2018, 20:42:02 »
I go real cheap. 2 lances of Strikers for light support and a lance of Skulkers to act as spotters.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2018, 05:06:16 »
There was some talk about going with cheaper vehicles. Still not decided yet - we have a session coming up though where the players will be talking with several dealers (we try to alternate a role playing session with a table top session)

Then there is the matter of getting crews, and I believe they are going to try poaching from the 3rd Dismal Disinherited.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2018, 09:52:57 »
As much as I like the idea of the hammer and anvil, I would go with the fast hovers as your mechs are the anvil.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2018, 17:08:55 »
As much as I like the idea of the hammer and anvil, I would go with the fast hovers as your mechs are the anvil.

Yep they are staying with hovertanks. They just need to figure out what. Probably next weekend we'll find out for sure.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2018, 17:22:17 »
The militia I built use 2 Maxims, 1 Saracen, and 1 Saladin (>:D) per "Hover Mechanized Infantry Company" (i.e., two platoons of infantry, one platoon of hover tanks).

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2018, 18:13:14 »
The militia I built use 2 Maxims, 1 Saracen, and 1 Saladin (>:D) per "Hover Mechanized Infantry Company" (i.e., two platoons of infantry, one platoon of hover tanks).

That's pretty nice, I think I might steal that.  Was this from those "dirtbag militia" threads?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2018, 19:16:30 »
That was certainly my inspiration... Here's the link to the thread...

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2018, 06:25:48 »
That was certainly my inspiration... Here's the link to the thread...

Ah ok I recall reading that thread now. That was some good work there!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2018, 08:40:22 »
Thanks!  It was a lot of fun to work out, too!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #19 on: 26 May 2018, 11:06:13 »
Oh I like this question, its right up my Skye March alley for vehicles.

As stated Fulcrums are pricey, but the TAG is nice, so I'd use them as a Company Commander build around a Platoon of cheaper Drillsons.

Maxims for the Infantry & Myrmidons for some not so easily immobilized anvil action.

HQ Platoon, Transport Platoon, Armor Platoon for each Company.  Good to Go.

Possibly a 2nd Fulcrum to lead the Maxim Platoon if you don't need a full 4 for the Infantry, or a newer tech Maxim instead w/ TAG/C3S, etc etc.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2018, 02:11:27 »
I honestly wonder if folks read the OP . . .

They have a mech battalion
They have a heavy armor battalion
They have a infantry battalion

The light armor battalion, which had previously been all hovertanks, got trashed and is being replaced.

While I enthusiastically support infantry having integral transport and ISVs . . . its not the light armor battalion unless you are suggesting they be consolidated together rather than the light armor being reconstituted.  Nor does the light armor battalion need a 'anvil' since the group already has a mech & heavy armor battalions for the anvil.

It sounds like the light armor battalion before were the 'cavalry' of this force- screen, skirmishers, and used to pin enemy forces for the heavier elements to hammer them down.  Except they got caught or just had bad luck when they got stuck in.  Which means IMO if you want them to be more survivors you want a long range weapon in a turret for the skirmishing- Regulators are the ideal but expensive/hard to get but you want something like them.
Colt Ward

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2018, 06:45:49 »

It sounds like the light armor battalion before were the 'cavalry' of this force- screen, skirmishers, and used to pin enemy forces for the heavier elements to hammer them down.  Except they got caught or just had bad luck when they got stuck in.  Which means IMO if you want them to be more survivors you want a long range weapon in a turret for the skirmishing- Regulators are the ideal but expensive/hard to get but you want something like them.

Pretty much. In this case the unit got busted up pretty bad in a trap from some WoB forces. This is what has prompted the thinking of getting some active probe equipped tanks like the upgraded Pegasus or Galleon that had been mentioned.

The players will be sticking with an all hovertank force. I have no doubt Drillson's will be back in some numbers, they all love that tank, but filling out the rest of the unit still remains open. We just need to sit down and figure that out.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2018, 13:02:38 »
if the rest of the unit is hovers, stick to that.
some Probe equipped Pegasus tanks would be a good idea i think.

but if you can get them, you might consider getting a few lances of Regulator's, which would let you give the cavalry element some decent integral firepower without sacrificing speed.

alternately, the Fulcrum Hovertank might be a better choice.. it is more available and while it lacks the heavy single hit punch of the regulator, a LL/LRM10 combo isn't bad.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2018, 13:12:55 »
I honestly wonder if folks read the OP . . .

They have a mech battalion
They have a heavy armor battalion
They have a infantry battalion

The light armor battalion, which had previously been all hovertanks, got trashed and is being replaced.

While I enthusiastically support infantry having integral transport and ISVs . . . its not the light armor battalion unless you are suggesting they be consolidated together rather than the light armor being reconstituted.  Nor does the light armor battalion need a 'anvil' since the group already has a mech & heavy armor battalions for the anvil.

Did you read the 4 suggestions he posted from his players Colt?
They mention Myrmidons & Maxims both as something the PLAYERS are considering.
I think everyone is going off those suggestions v/s just rebuilding the all Hover force.
If they want to change it up, they can, people are just suggesting the various units to do so.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2018, 13:19:12 »
And the OP did specifically throw the floor open to completely different ideas:

What would be your thoughts on one of these ideas or something else entirely?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2018, 13:50:03 »
Personally, I think I would favor the following, if trying to keep costs down:

Command Company:
Command Platoon: 4 x Drillson
Battle Platoon 1: 4 x Condor
Battle Platoon 2: 4 x Condor

Skirmish Company 1:
Battle Platoon 1: 4 x Scimitar
Battle Platoon 2: 4 x Scimitar
Recon Platoon: 4 x Pegasus

Skirmish Company 2:
Battle Platoon 1: 4 x Scimitar
Battle Platoon 2: 4 x Scimitar

Support Company:
LRM Support Platoon 1: 4 x Saracen
LRM Support Platoon 2: 4 x Saracen
Close Support Platoon: 4 x Saladin

If just trying to keep costs moderately down, Go with the following for all companies:

Platoons 1 and 2: 4 x Drillson

If not worried about keeping costs down, I'd say go with the following for all platoons:
2 x Fulcrum (Large Laser version)
2 x Fulcrum (SRM, extra medium lasers version)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2018, 14:25:43 »
I'd go with Saracens over Scimitars, personally.  LRMs have more uses than AC/5s...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2018, 14:43:41 »
I'd go with Saracens over Scimitars, personally.  LRMs have more uses than AC/5s...

To me, the Scimitar has more character than the Saracen...all comes down to personal preference...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2018, 15:10:48 »

If just trying to keep costs moderately down, Go with the following for all companies:

Platoons 1 and 2: 4 x Drillson

Ruger

I think that's pretty close to what might happen, eventually. There will likely be some Fulcrum's in there as well.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2018, 18:43:00 »

There is a Scimitar Missile...

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2830/scimitar-medium-hover-tank-missile

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016