Author Topic: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)  (Read 169640 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: HBS Battletech Discussion Thread (there may be spoilers)
« Reply #1320 on: 28 August 2018, 19:02:23 »
I'm actually glad the patches won't work on my machine now.  Lancers (Multi-Target, Breaching Shot and Bulwark) are the way to go in the base game.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1321 on: 28 August 2018, 19:23:47 »
They're changing almost every skill, but only in a beta build so far.  The actual new patch is actually pretty nice.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1322 on: 30 August 2018, 11:29:47 »
Lancers are still very strong. Now if you max move into woods and use vigilance, you can get 75% DR to go with your evasive chevrons. Potentially OP, so hopefully they tone that down a little.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1323 on: 30 August 2018, 11:47:06 »
You do not need to be a lancer to do that though. I do that with my centurion and shadowhawk brawlers :)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #1324 on: 07 September 2018, 08:21:57 »
https://www.exophase.com/game/battletech-steam/achievements/ are these accurate to fit the requirements? I wondering because I've done two skirmish's with Urbanmechs using nothing but DFA's (against Locusts) and either I'm not using the right targets (maybe at least a medium mech as the victim) or the achievement was typed wrong by the web page creator...? Now I know some are correct (I got the Pick On Someone Your Own Size from reviewing this page) but...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1325 on: 09 September 2018, 18:15:21 »
Just got a new land speed record for the "reinforcements" appearing during a random mission.  While the audio for "Command Interface..." was playing (i.e., before the scenario even fully loaded), I got Darius' voice over for "I just got visual on enemy reinforcements...".  Hopefully those that can run the patch don't have this problem any more...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1326 on: 09 September 2018, 18:41:41 »
Yep... reloading that one... The mission started in contact with the reinforcement lance of elite and fully armored assault 'mechs.  Plus, the first turn the expected opposition ran into range (i.e., turn 2), their Victor put an AC/20 round right through the cockpit of an otherwise pristine Highlander...  ::)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1327 on: 09 September 2018, 19:01:16 »
Not good... just got the same warning about reinforcements when reloading.  And this for a supposedly 4.5 skull mission against pirates...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1328 on: 10 September 2018, 18:58:52 »
So... the mission was very close run, and my Gauss Rifle took a crit in the process.  The OPFOR consisted of two lances of pristine "pirate" mechs, six Assaults, and two Heavies:
King Crab, PPC Highlander, Battlemaster and Banshee (these were the "reinforcements" I started the level in contact with)
Stalker, Victor, Thunderbolt and LRM Jaegermech

Fortunately, Yang was apparently able to repair the Gauss Rifle, and a second Gauss Rifle magically appeared in my components list (woo hoo!).  Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1329 on: 11 September 2018, 00:25:57 »
Known issue prior to last patch.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1330 on: 11 September 2018, 03:56:31 »
Good to know, thanks!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1331 on: 15 September 2018, 18:43:12 »
I think I'm about ready to call my second play through done.  The Argo is fully upgraded, and I've managed to become Allied to five factions (the Restoration, Canopians, FWL, Taurians and FedSuns), and have over 51M in the bank.  All (five) of my pilots are straight 10s across the board, though Medusa's pay is 1,000 C-Bills lower than the rest for some reason.

Despite actively looking for another Atlas, my 'mech load out ended up exactly where my first play through did (the Atlas II, Star League Highlander, and both variants of the 3025 Highlander).  I changed the name of the unit to the "Highlancers" after I landed the third Highlander.  Both 3025 Highlanders carry 55 LRM tubes and a Small Laser or two as back up.  The Star League Highlander has 30 LRM tubes on top of the Gauss and 3 Small Lasers for up close work.  The Atlas has two LRM-20s (with various pluses) on top of an AC/20+++ (+20 damage and stab) and a few lasers (a +10 damage Medium and a pair of Smalls).  Glitch is absolute murder with Precision Attack and that AC/20.  She even managed to down an almost pristine Awesome in one round that way.

The only mission objective I was never able to figure out was saving the wounded during the second Panzyr mission.  When I tried it with a light, fast 'mech, it was shot to pieces, and a heavier one just can't get up the hill fast enough.  That doesn't stop you from winning the overall scenario though, so I eventually just moved on.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1332 on: 15 September 2018, 21:19:52 »
The only mission objective I was never able to figure out was saving the wounded during the second Panzyr mission.  When I tried it with a light, fast 'mech, it was shot to pieces, and a heavier one just can't get up the hill fast enough.  That doesn't stop you from winning the overall scenario though, so I eventually just moved on.

I had a battlemaster with jump jets and a pilot with sensor lock book it up the hill.  Following behind it(but at a distance) was a catapult with 2 LRM20s.  I used jump jets and the trees to keep the catapult's defenses up.  It still fired to support the two other mechs I left at the base.  Soon as I was close enough for the sensor lock, the incoming APC was good as dead.  Still cut it close though.  I had one shot.   Catapult then returned to hiding in the base while the Battlemaster kept the stuff on the hill busy.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1333 on: 15 September 2018, 21:46:40 »
Dang... it's even harder than I thought it was... thanks!

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1334 on: 15 September 2018, 22:12:13 »
@Daryk

In that mission I tend to divide my forces in half sort of like DarkSpade mentions. I think I am usually running 3 heavies and the Highlander stripped of its DHS and placed in the other 3 mechs. All with Jump Jets. Highlander and a heavy hold and deal with the APCs that come around the dropships or get close to the walled area. One heavy (closest mech to that side) sprints the first turn only to get as far up that hill as possible to get visual on that road, or use sensor lock on those APCs. With the second mech, an LRM boat like the Catapult mentioned above, taking out APCs on its way up behind the sprinting mech, then both engaging those other APCs when they appear.

Watch the Jenner(?) coming down the hill. It will try to get into that sprinting mech's rear arc on the second and beyond turn so try to put your back somewhat to the wall.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 01:45:21 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1335 on: 16 September 2018, 04:32:15 »
Yeah, that Jenner?  That's exactly what happened to the fast 'mech I tried sending up that hill.  That was my first play through, which I was trying to do without save scumming.  Winning the mission with three 'mechs was TOUGH.

When I played it on my second play through, I sent a Grasshopper jumping up the hill as fast as possible with an Orion for back up, but the number of 'mechs was just ridiculous.  I don't even recall getting a sensor trace on the APC until it was too late.  That little bugger was fast.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1336 on: 16 September 2018, 08:15:30 »
EDIT:  I forgot to mention that if you use my method, the Battlemaster has to spawn in the far left spawn point, or it's not going to make it.

I love that mission because there's plenty of reasons to complete that secondary(extra cash, guilt, being a completionist, etc), but it greatly increases the difficulty if you do.  I also hate that mission because getting that secondary feels less than a tactical dilemma and more like trying to solve a puzzle.   Perhaps we were never meant to actually succeed on that one?  In that case I guess kudos to HBS for making sure the game was prepared for those of us that do.

By the way, I've never had the mission reach a point where I found out if it was true or not, but supposedly if you put an assault mech directly between the wall in the north entrance of the base the APCs can't get through.  This is not true of the western gate.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 08:19:14 by DarkSpade »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1337 on: 16 September 2018, 08:21:14 »
It didn't look that narrow to me, but it might have been.  I did fail that mission once because I spread out the damage on the first APC that appeared (the darn thing took a Gauss slug and on the order of 80 LRMs but refused to die).

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1338 on: 28 September 2018, 09:58:42 »
Ok, got the highlander of the fort brian a grasshopper and a trebuchet that adapted to have the Eridani Light Horse configuration (LL, 3ML and LRM10) since I like it better than the Steiner config. and why the hell would a steiner config be so common in this part of the periphery anyway??? heading with those 3 and a shadow hawk (field refit: LRM5 becomes SRM6) to Defend Smithton from the Taurians that are attacking it. Let's see what happens here.

I had been trying to get an Orion, but no luck with random mission Orion spawns.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #1339 on: 29 September 2018, 18:10:29 »
I had been trying to get an Orion, but no luck with random mission Orion spawns.

LOL, in this play thru I have like six Orions. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1340 on: 30 September 2018, 07:48:53 »
Fist load of Orions
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1341 on: 01 October 2018, 17:03:50 »
Just stepped on a bulldog with my shadow hawk. And it looked tinny. More like a 5 ton or 10 ton vehicle than a tracked beast that weighs more than my mech.

Is it me or mechs in this game are way oversized compared to scenery, buildings and vehicles?

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #1342 on: 01 October 2018, 19:26:27 »
That's because they are. As in, 'more out of scale than MW4" oversized.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1343 on: 02 October 2018, 02:08:24 »
Thought so. Pity since those vehicles are really cool when you zoom in A LOT and actually look at their appearance

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1344 on: 02 October 2018, 10:32:05 »
The scale is likely a result of using MWO models that are wildly out of canonical scale. The Locust is something like, what, 6 meters tall, and the Atlas towers at 18 meters or so. Canonically typical heights seem to lay between 10 to 14 meters, though 8-9 meter tall 'Mechs and nearly 15 meters do exists. (The Nova for example, thanks to lack of hip assembly stands 8.3 meters tall according to one chart, this is among the lowest if not the lowest.)
Of course, even canonical BT 'Mechs are pretty large for their masses. Just consider a modern tank's dimensions and mass...

Definitively a pity the vehicles are so small. They do look damn nice. Also wish they were playable... are there any mods that make them so?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1345 on: 02 October 2018, 11:02:43 »
I've heard the scale can be fixed with a simple json edit, but I don't recall which one.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1346 on: 02 October 2018, 11:20:26 »
Correct.  Look around on Nexus Mods.  It is similar to Mech Resizer or something like that.  Makes all the mechs less than 50 meters tall or whatever they are in game. 

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #1347 on: 04 October 2018, 21:39:14 »
I've heard the scale can be fixed with a simple json edit, but I don't recall which one.

It is a pretty easy edit, literally one line from what I recall. That said, if you scale down as much as would be 'right' they will run into issues with attacks not lining up properly (melee especially).

Just depends what bothers you more; super big mechs or mechs headbutting the air.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #1348 on: 05 October 2018, 17:17:33 »
The scale is likely a result of using MWO models that are wildly out of canonical scale. The Locust is something like, what, 6 meters tall, and the Atlas towers at 18 meters or so. Canonically typical heights seem to lay between 10 to 14 meters, though 8-9 meter tall 'Mechs and nearly 15 meters do exists. (The Nova for example, thanks to lack of hip assembly stands 8.3 meters tall according to one chart, this is among the lowest if not the lowest.)
Of course, even canonical BT 'Mechs are pretty large for their masses. Just consider a modern tank's dimensions and mass...

Definitively a pity the vehicles are so small. They do look damn nice. Also wish they were playable... are there any mods that make them so?
As I said-the scale's even more off than MW4, which had worse scale than MWO.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1349 on: 08 October 2018, 11:26:12 »
As I said-the scale's even more off than MW4, which had worse scale than MWO.
I gotta admit, for all my love for MW4 (played it more times than i can remember), i have never ever paid attention to scale in that game. The ever ugly graphics and largely irrelevant environments are to blame...