Author Topic: HBS Battletech - The Argo  (Read 16711 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: HBS Battletech - The Argo
« Reply #60 on: 13 May 2018, 05:16:54 »
Heh... it seems the Leopard's cargo capacity is also infinite...
well yes and no.
for "reasons" what we have is significant liberties taken.
leopard, has 1 bay ~6 active mech limit, essentially the 4 mech bays and 2 fighter bays on a standard leopard all converted to mech bays.
you then have a functionally unlimited supply of "free" armor plating. that takes no significant time to replace.
you also have a functionally unlimited capacity of cargo bay storage of mechs in "mothball" and or incomplete status.
in addition your "spare parts" storage is also functionally unlimited.

I know as I was working through the campaign, there were times where I was all "where can I find some extra cash, when each month costs me ~3/4 million  and I was like why do I need 150 heat sinks... I don't sell off till I am down to ~70 and 70 medium lasers and .....

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #61 on: 13 May 2018, 12:59:05 »
Cargo capacity is unknown. For game purposes, it's infinite.

Actually in the game they specifically state 57,000 tons of cargo space.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2018, 13:00:42 »
Gotcha, I totally missed that.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2018, 13:28:29 »
Actually in the game they specifically state 57,000 tons of cargo space.
Wow, that's alot room.  You could fit bunch of Union and Overlord Dropships with all that weight carrying ability. (i know you can't put them in there...)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #64 on: 14 May 2018, 18:24:12 »
Wow, that's alot room.  You could fit bunch of Union and Overlord Dropships with all that weight carrying ability. (i know you can't put them in there...)

At 4/6, with 57,000 tons of cargo, 30 SI (same as a Behemoth), minimum 24 crew, a 300-meter grav deck, and 1000 tons of fuel, you're left with around 8400 tons left.  Adding in docking collars, you're reduced to 6400 tons.  That's also running maximum armor tonnage.

From that, you need to add escape pods/lifeboats, 'Mech cubicles, any small craft it carries, and additional life support for passengers, plus any weaponry.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #65 on: 14 May 2018, 19:05:04 »
Well, 18 'mech cubicles would be 2,700 of those tons, so I'd work everything else from that...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 14 May 2018, 19:33:18 »
To be fair I would have put the 18 mech cubicles from that 57,000 to better represent the fact that you can upgrade the design

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #67 on: 15 May 2018, 09:21:29 »
At 4/6, with 57,000 tons of cargo, 30 SI (same as a Behemoth), minimum 24 crew, a 300-meter grav deck, and 1000 tons of fuel, you're left with around 8400 tons left.  Adding in docking collars, you're reduced to 6400 tons.  That's also running maximum armor tonnage.

From that, you need to add escape pods/lifeboats, 'Mech cubicles, any small craft it carries, and additional life support for passengers, plus any weaponry.
Oh, i was mistaken. I though the 57k was dedicated to actual cargo, not ammenities like meter grav deck,  docking collars and armor.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kato

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 15 May 2018, 10:43:33 »
Oh, i was mistaken. I though the 57k was dedicated to actual cargo, not ammenities like meter grav deck,  docking collars and armor.
They are.

At 100,000 tons you're spending 26,000 tons on the engine at 4/6, 6,000 tons on structure at 30 SI and even with 57,000 tons cargo have some 11,000 tons left over for everything else. 750t of that for controls, 1020t for fuel, minimum 180t for quarters, 250t for a grav deck, 108t of armor, whatever the experimental docking collars weight... If you'd want to fluff it out for stats as fixed at that any any mech bays and such eating into cargo my suggestion would be to simply double the SI (and armor) and use up the remainder for 50 or so quarters for passengers and some weapons. And if you want any more of any of that i'd first reduce the armor, because we'd at that point be running 384 points per facing average in protection...

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 15 May 2018, 13:54:06 »
They are.

At 100,000 tons you're spending 26,000 tons on the engine at 4/6, 6,000 tons on structure at 30 SI and even with 57,000 tons cargo have some 11,000 tons left over for everything else. 750t of that for controls, 1020t for fuel, minimum 180t for quarters, 250t for a grav deck, 108t of armor, whatever the experimental docking collars weight... If you'd want to fluff it out for stats as fixed at that any any mech bays and such eating into cargo my suggestion would be to simply double the SI (and armor) and use up the remainder for 50 or so quarters for passengers and some weapons. And if you want any more of any of that i'd first reduce the armor, because we'd at that point be running 384 points per facing average in protection...
only nitpick i have is the argo is listed as having 2g sustained thrust, i believe unless i am mistaken that 3/5 would work

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 15 May 2018, 14:03:16 »
I'd interpret that as 4/6.  Overthrust/emergency thrust doesn't really fit what I see as sustained. Besides, even at 4/6, there certainly appears to be enough room for everything.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 15 May 2018, 15:39:03 »
For all the complaints about the "daisy-chaining isn't rules-legal", I respond with "The developers of the Argo created a genuine technological breakthrough the construction rules don't account for yet, but the prototype was lost and the personnel who knew the system got killed during either the 1st SSW"

It's as big a technological leap, in my mind, as the creation of Introtech when everyone was running what would eventually be known as Primitive Tech. Or the development of the Docking Collar, if we're staying in the realm of Jumpships.

Nicoli

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 15 May 2018, 18:59:46 »
For all the complaints about the "daisy-chaining isn't rules-legal", I respond with "The developers of the Argo created a genuine technological breakthrough the construction rules don't account for yet, but the prototype was lost and the personnel who knew the system got killed during either the 1st SSW"

It's as big a technological leap, in my mind, as the creation of Introtech when everyone was running what would eventually be known as Primitive Tech. Or the development of the Docking Collar, if we're staying in the realm of Jumpships.
Slight spoiler, If that was the case then the discussions about the risks of owning Lostech in-game were really stupid as you already have one of the most important pieces of lostech to recover considering the time period your in where Jumpships of any type were precious. I think it would have just been easier to handle it as a special exploration warship design. Instead of weapons and heavy armor it was fitted with tons of cargo space and things for long duration self-sufficiency. Something that would be very valuable to a merc unit but significantly less useful to a great house which is concerned about other things.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 15 May 2018, 20:15:14 »
Slight spoiler, If that was the case then the discussions about the risks of owning Lostech in-game were really stupid as you already have one of the most important pieces of lostech to recover considering the time period your in where Jumpships of any type were precious. I think it would have just been easier to handle it as a special exploration warship design. Instead of weapons and heavy armor it was fitted with tons of cargo space and things for long duration self-sufficiency. Something that would be very valuable to a merc unit but significantly less useful to a great house which is concerned about other things.

Could also explain why ships like the SLS Pioneer were already being pulled from exploration use before the Amaris Coup.