Author Topic: Mechcommander: Darkest Hours  (Read 2930 times)

Androsynth

• Corporal
Mechcommander: Darkest Hours
« on: 18 May 2018, 09:59:23 »
Anyone see this? I didn't see a post. The old Mechcommander games were released as open source, and some kind folks over at No Guts No Galaxy updated the whole game with modern resolutions, integrated all the expansions into two mega-campaigns, and added several hundred multiplayer and single player missions.

It's as fun as you remember it being.

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4427.0

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Mechcommander: Darkest Hours
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2018, 10:08:15 »
Have not looked, MC1/G or just 2?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Androsynth

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2018, 10:14:54 »
Have not looked, MC1/G or just 2?

Both were released, this is MC1. It's great. Forgot how much fun it was stealing the Mad Cat in mission 3 and then stomping the game with it. There is a stupid amount of content here too. Hundreds of hours worth.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2018, 10:33:59 »
Yeah, I recently used the patch to get it going again . . . and you can do some fun things with a TT campaign based on the MC story though I was playing through in MM.  Still on the first campaign, I had one of the starter pilots get a closer connection to his mech thanks to a Jag AC.  Its quite challenging but has ended up with some interesting options-  I have a new WVR-6K custom based on salvage that I liked before the Jags blew that apart though the pilot survived.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2018, 12:47:44 »
Thank you so much for sharing this!  This brings back so much nostalgic memories of my childhood (I was in 4th grade during 1998).  Extracting it now!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2018, 13:04:42 »
I got check this out when i head home.  Thanks for the heads up!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Androsynth

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2018, 14:25:50 »
A couple of tips to get it running: the mod ships with a bunch of resolution-specific executables in the main folder. Launch the one with the resolution you want. Before you launch, right click on it and set the compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 2. Note that the in-game graphics scale to whatever resolution you ran, but the menu and pre-mission screens do not, being static pixel images. The game looks and plays best in the 12xx by 7xx range, IMHO.

Pro tip to those who haven't played it in years: on mission 3, you are ambushed by a Mad Cat. Send a disposable mech and greenie merc over the bridge just south of the start zone (before it's destroyed a few seconds into the mission) and fight your way south to the mad cat, which will squash you like a gnat, but also be visible. Then just use a big and little artillery strike on it (may take several tries) and the pilot will eject, leaving you with a mech that will save your ass over the next 10 missions or so.