Author Topic: 3025 era:Which mechs do you dump ammo from ASAP ?  (Read 12225 times)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
3025 era:Which mechs do you dump ammo from ASAP ?
« on: 11 February 2011, 17:58:33 »
Some mechs seem to have certain ammo dumped off the bat or
if certain conditions are met .Especially before CASE .

Which 3025 era mechs do you dump ammo from ASAP and what ammo do you dump  ?

I'll go first with one of my top examples :
The standard Thunderbolt .
I dump the SRM-2 ammo off the bat .
If there aren't any PBIs then I usually dump the MG ammo as well .

Wish the tonnage could be used for other items but that's the price
of playing only canon variants  .

How about you ?

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
Re: 3025 era:Which mechs do you dump ammo from ASAP ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2011, 18:22:30 »
anything with machine gun ammo. Especially the Crusader variants with it in the center torso

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2011, 20:24:32 »
anything with machine gun ammo. Especially the Crusader variants with it in the center torso

Especially the Crusader.  I watched one get hit by an AC2 I think it was get a CT crit and blow up.  It was untouched until then.  I also like to replace the AC on the Marauder with a large laser and more HS and armor.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2011, 20:30:03 »
I like to dump the LRM-5 ammo from my Grasshopper and Vindicator when it's clear that the other mech is going to try and close in. 

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2011, 02:39:07 »
Its part of the joy of the era, I think, to live a bit dangeriously.  And I've been in games where the two damage from an MG has come in handy.  So I don't dump anything right away.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2011, 03:24:02 »
Nothing if i can help it.  Though if the launcher is critted, i dum the ammo right of the get go.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2011, 03:42:26 »
Battlemaster/Warhammer - why have MG ammo available when its just a big bloody bomb awaiting that magical crit and the weapons are the least effective on the mech itself. At least with the SRM its a decent weapon.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2011, 03:52:55 »
Battlemaster/Warhammer - why have MG ammo available when its just a big bloody bomb awaiting that magical crit and the weapons are the least effective on the mech itself. At least with the SRM its a decent weapon.
Actually on the 'Hammer, I have used those machine guns at point blank range for effective crit seaking. When the range is 1, they are worth 4 extra damage, for free (no heat, ammo is for all intents and purposes unlimited...). They have turned the tide in my favor more than once.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2011, 04:53:52 »
Ideally we should have a rule that allows us to set the amount of ammo we carry around before the game, up to maximum capacity(que thirty people with page references :D ). I myself would love to take 10 Machine gun shots with me, leaving the rest of the ammo bin empty.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2011, 06:37:05 »
Nothing if i can help it.  Though if the launcher is critted, i dum the ammo right of the get go.

I wouldn't say nothing but I definitely dump after I lose the weapon for that ammo.

Mechs with machine gun ammo annoy me a lot because they should've carried at the minimum 3 machine guns preferably four because in that era where heat is a serious premium they weren't a bad weapon, just installed incorrectly.

Why have machine guns in the Cicada's legs? The best defense for a Cicada at fisting ranges is to perform a kick which is prevented by firing machine guns so I'm forced to dump the ammo immediately.

Two mechs that don't carry machine guns but have horrible design implementations of ammo based weaponry are the Jagermech and Kintaro.

The Kintaro has nothing but ammo in both side torsos which guaranties any crit occurring in these locations will destroy it unlike other mechs that have something to potentially absorb the crit.

The jagermech takes one tiny step forward of the Kintaro by having a medium laser in one of the ammo laden side torsos. Then it takes several leaps back by having  55% of the armor of the Kintaro making it the prime example where Kleenex for outerwear doesn't just look silly on actresses and pop stars.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2011, 06:48:41 »
With Rapid Fire in TacOps, MG ammo can come in pretty handy as an "extra Medium Laser" when needed. I'd say there are very few 'Mechs which need to dump ASAP. It really depends on the scenario. The BNC-3Q could probably do without two tons of that AC/20 ammo. Never seen a game go 30 rounds with one of those...
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2011, 07:36:39 »
Agreeing with Iron Mongoose on this one. Furthermore, dumping ammo won't save your mech from that AC20 slug to the head  ;D
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2011, 08:24:37 »
Agreeing with Iron Mongoose on this one. Furthermore, dumping ammo won't save your mech from that AC20 slug to the head  ;D

Not unless it's being sacrificed to the dice gods.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2011, 11:47:36 »
I think it's still a valid point that there are some machines that maintain their functionality after dumping ammo. 

Like I said, the Grasshopper is a perfect example because it is most dangerous jumping in and around, sometimes at close range.  When it loses the LRM-5 ammo, which is hard to use at short range anyway, it becomes more effective. 

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2011, 13:17:41 »
Its part of the joy of the era, I think, to live a bit dangeriously.  And I've been in games where the two damage from an MG has come in handy.  So I don't dump anything right away.

Yeah, you are correct. If you can deal damage with a weapon don't dump the ammo.

Oddly enough I have seen people dumping AC2 ammo while piloting a Blackjack. And it worked  :o :o
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2011, 20:15:51 »
I'm not sure if it's really considered a 3025 mech ,but another one I've seen
the ammo dumped on a lot is the left torso of the Hammerhands 3D and 4 D .

Every person I've seen use it either dumps that left torso ammo off right away or uses a
few rounds and finds a good spot to dump it .

As for the Warhammer and Battlemaster ,in those cases I often keep the MG ammo .

I do however dump a ton of the SRM ammo from the Battlemaster .

I don't often see a mech go through more then 15 rounds of close range combat during a game .

Another would be dumping 2 tons of AC/20 ammo from the Banshee BNC-3Q .

I've seen players dumping SRM ammo and even LRM ammo from the Highlander as well.

In most games that I've seen a player field a Grasshopper the LRM-5 ammo gets dumped
sooner or later .

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2011, 00:12:57 »
It's not a Succession Wars 'Mech, but definitely built with Intro Tech. (Re.: The HMH- series)
If we're going by that, then the BKX- series has a bunch of useless ammo as well, considering how unarmored the torso is.

I would say that out of all of the 'Mechs, the MAD-3R is the best candidate for a "dump ASAP" policy, or really any 'Mech with a poorly protected bin which is isolated, crit-wise.