Author Topic: Joint fire mandrill and blood spirit campaign questions  (Read 29983 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Joint fire mandrill and blood spirit campaign questions
« Reply #60 on: 09 June 2020, 00:53:42 »
As you and others  pointed out in the Save the Jags thread, the Smoke Jaguars Brian caches are well nigh cashed in all likelyhood.  But the Nova Cat caches are probably a safe bet for decent equipment - from Star League designs, to IIC's, to to the occasional older OmniMechs.   The Nova Cats were a relatively rich Clan, so anything is possible, certainly all this.

I also in my head have the idea that as a clan with a big fleet a convo or cache of warships would have been possible targets

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 25 June 2020, 16:46:12 »
I just reread some source books and holy heck the absorption war was a waste for the spirits! They lost 5 galaxies and got nothing!! If they had held off a year they could have dropped a huge force on huntress or any other tempting target with a very good chance of holding it.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 09 September 2020, 10:22:51 »
Smaller scale idea: the spirits eventually took over the mandrills watch in canon but I am not sure if it is stated what they got in return?

Perhaps some of the ultra elite mick kreese pilots were loaned out as trainers to beef up the spirits naval arm?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 05 October 2020, 17:30:10 »
Smaller scale idea: the spirits eventually took over the mandrills watch in canon but I am not sure if it is stated what they got in return?

Perhaps some of the ultra elite mick kreese pilots were loaned out as trainers to beef up the spirits naval arm?

Would the watch have been used to scout out secret colony sites?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 05 October 2020, 18:10:20 »
I don't think the Watch were used for colony sites I thought it was Merchants that found Colleen and Merchants are likely the only caste with the freedom (under the watchful eye of a Warrior minder) and incentive to find new habitable systems. In my opinion the Spirits took the Mandrill Watch over at the Loremaster's request in exchange for support of the Kindraa in the event of an attack and to use them as an alternate intermediaries to the Sharks for trade reasons. They also probably received aid in developing weapon designs and expanding factories from the Mandrills which were undergoing a bit of an expansion before being kicked down during Reaving.

Warship

• Sergeant
  • Once more into the fire
« Reply #65 on: 05 October 2020, 19:06:43 »
I just reread some source books and holy heck the absorption war was a waste for the spirits! They lost 5 galaxies and got nothing!! If they had held off a year they could have dropped a huge force on huntress or any other tempting target with a very good chance of holding it.

Yep.  It did not make any sense.  They could/should have waited for the Absorption to end and then trial for select parts of the Burrocks.  The Adders would probably have been glad to pare down those new troops and maybe some of their holdings which may not have been worth defending.   

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 05 October 2020, 22:37:53 »
I don't think the Watch were used for colony sites I thought it was Merchants that found Colleen and Merchants are likely the only caste with the freedom (under the watchful eye of a Warrior minder) and incentive to find new habitable systems. In my opinion the Spirits took the Mandrill Watch over at the Loremaster's request in exchange for support of the Kindraa in the event of an attack and to use them as an alternate intermediaries to the Sharks for trade reasons. They also probably received aid in developing weapon designs and expanding factories from the Mandrills which were undergoing a bit of an expansion before being kicked down during Reaving.

That makes sense. I also just love the idea of the poor spirit warrior who had to knock heads together on their joint watch unit.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 19 November 2020, 10:28:14 »
Yep.  It did not make any sense.  They could/should have waited for the Absorption to end and then trial for select parts of the Burrocks.  The Adders would probably have been glad to pare down those new troops and maybe some of their holdings which may not have been worth defending.

Exactly! The mandrills also should have done this. Heck between the spirits and mandrills aggressively going after former burrock assets they could have really blunted the adders growth.

For that matter rather than batter themselves in wasteful conflicts during the WOR the mandrills should’ve shined! They could have snap up some choice bloodnames and formed new kindraa

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 01 December 2020, 14:52:42 »
During the abjuration of the nova cats did the mandrills or spirits get involved if so where?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 27 January 2021, 15:10:09 »

In addition once more clans left or where kicked out the spirits and mandrills could have really claimed a lot more

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: 14 February 2021, 09:25:01 »
While in canon the proto phenotype was developed by the spirits and cobras:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/ProtoMech_Phenotype

Could the mandrills have done so as well and or did they adopt it?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 14 February 2021, 12:32:24 »
While in canon the proto phenotype was developed by the spirits and cobras:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/ProtoMech_Phenotype

Could the mandrills have done so as well and or did they adopt it?

They couldn’t have done it on their own probably, it’s mentioned that even their scientists were split along kindra lines and they had bad research cause of it. Unless they felt it was Omni level they wouldn’t be able to band together long enough to make it work.

And even if they did the fact it takes 20 years to get a single warrior out of it would hamper them, they would have died out as soon as they were getting the first generation.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 14 February 2021, 17:59:30 »
They couldn’t have done it on their own probably, it’s mentioned that even their scientists were split along kindra lines and they had bad research cause of it. Unless they felt it was Omni level they wouldn’t be able to band together long enough to make it work.

And even if they did the fact it takes 20 years to get a single warrior out of it would hamper them, they would have died out as soon as they were getting the first generation.

Sigh oh mandrills... medium and long term planning just is not your thing!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 14 February 2021, 19:44:36 »
Sigh oh mandrills... medium and long term planning just is not your thing!

not sure short term is something they plan for either.  ???
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 25 February 2021, 14:58:00 »

Did the various kindraa all collectively dislike the burrocks? If so that is another reason to wait the chaotic mandrills could have broken off more chunks of former burrock strength from the adders

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 25 May 2021, 17:21:47 »

Again in an AU where the mandrills were unmandrill, the development of proto tech could have helped the kindraa work together to adopt and improve proto tech earlier

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 13 July 2021, 13:11:09 »

As ties between the spirits and mandrills got closer I am surprised that the mandrills esp mick kreese with its strong navy were not more heavily involved with the spirits new colonies
S

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 05 October 2021, 17:40:09 »
I assume each kindraa leader tended to act with out the say so of the khan but would the opposite have been true of the spirits?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 10 November 2021, 18:30:28 »
As you and others  pointed out in the Save the Jags thread, the Smoke Jaguars Brian caches are well nigh cashed in all likelyhood.  But the Nova Cat caches are probably a safe bet for decent equipment - from Star League designs, to IIC's, to to the occasional older OmniMechs.   The Nova Cats were a relatively rich Clan, so anything is possible, certainly all this.

As fast as they had to pull up stakes I would imagine some caches had to be abandon

What were some common second line Mech and or vechiles the nova cats would have cached?
« Last Edit: 31 January 2023, 14:02:13 by Sjhernan3060 »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 10 December 2021, 20:02:35 »
3 days, don't wanna seem desperate  ;)

Lol! But seriously what IS the acceptable wait time?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 05 January 2022, 18:16:42 »

That’s a great point I always got the sense that the nova cats were always on the top tier of resources so I would assume they had well stocked caches which likely had not been tapped since the golden century. However their escape from the homeworlds was a rushed mess so I have to believe a huge amount of material was left

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 20 January 2022, 14:02:29 »

I am curious about the specific handicaps the mandrills fractured nature would have caused amongst scientists. Would for example prototypes and research teams be reapeatldy trailed over?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 25 March 2022, 19:31:58 »
I assume each kindraa leader tended to act with out the say so of the khan but would the opposite have been true of the spirits?

Bumping this up again

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 25 March 2022, 19:42:58 »

I seem to recall a statement in one of the sourcebooks which stated that the Spirit officers were reluctant to take their own initiative, which did handicap their actions in the Absorption War.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 31 March 2022, 17:07:18 »
Hand the Warships out to the others for prestige, political favours and resources. Or, keep them all and declare themselves to be the new core of the Clan's naval might.

The Warships don't really have any use in strong-arming the other Kindraa, even the Mandrills wouldn't be crazy enough to orbitally bombard their rivals' enclaves.

So I think I know the answer to this but in the scenario outlined earlier: say kindraa mick kreese without khan approval trialed for and won a several warships from a rival clan. If kindraa mick kreese said: “
Well we are the core of clans navy now so if the clan who we attacked counter strikes it should be seen as a threat to all kindraa” but even as typed that I can imagine the other kindraa would be like: hey man you brought this on yourself!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 28 June 2022, 09:30:23 »
With all the great mandrill discussions happening because of the recent Sharpnel story, I was wondering did the smythe jewels actually do any joint missions with the spirits?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 05 October 2022, 12:53:20 »
With all the great mandrill discussions happening because of the recent Sharpnel story, I was wondering did the smythe jewels actually do any joint missions with the spirits?

Also the sharpnel story really paints the smythe jewels in a bad light do we think they were waiting to cross the spirits?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 25 December 2022, 12:42:21 »
Also the sharpnel story really paints the smythe jewels in a bad light do we think they were waiting to cross the spirits?

Following up on this: the mandrills are beloved by the spirits due to the history with the smythe jewels but everything else I have read on them the smythe/jewels were shady as heck! So would they have betrayed the spirits given time?

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 25 December 2022, 13:53:08 »
We don't know. Pure speculation either way.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: 25 December 2022, 22:09:27 »
We don't know. Pure speculation either way.

I guess it’s lucky for the mandrills that the other kindraa dealt fairly with the spirits

Register