Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf: a Running Review  (Read 32597 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Hour of the Wolf: a Running Review
« Reply #30 on: 05 May 2021, 22:47:43 »
Chapter 16: Geneva falls off screen, effectively doubling down on the ultimately pointless death ride of the Republic navy. Not only did the wolves step in to do their job for them, but preventing the bombardment does not appear to have appreciably changed the situation.

Malvina continues her cartoonish villainy, and frankly I'm just tired of it.

And Stone's still trying to convince himself that his strategy is working, but some of reality appears to be seeping through, since he authorizes the mysterious nighthawk plan, the intention of which is pretty obvious at this point.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 05 May 2021, 23:19:29 »
Interlude: Disregard Terra. Acquire Currency. So far the Sea Foxes seem to be the only sane guys.

Chapter 17: Am I imagining things or did Malvina and Alaric both survive headcapping weapons to the face? Sure, you can say "glancing blows", but two at the same time... (three if you count Chance getting her cockpit smashed).

Obviously I don't believe either is dead, and I wouldn't even if I didn't already know how it ended. And what exactly was Redburn's plan for getting away with this? It would be perfectly clear that any bodies recovered simply weren't clan warriors (clan warriors carry their codexes with them). And none of the attackers were getting out of that alive. Was he just assuming everybody would be torched beyond recognition when their mechs went down, and if he'd set up something to help that along, wouldn't that in and of itself have raised suspicion? Maybe the next chapter will clear some of that up. 

Don't get me wrong. Headhunting is absolutely the right play. But it seems unreasonable for anybody to expect the deception to last. Maybe they hope it'll last just long enough for the two sides to trade blows enough to pass the point of no return? Seems iffy, but in the state the Republic is in, even a shaky plan is superior to no appreciable plan at all.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 23:21:21 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 06 May 2021, 00:49:20 »
Certainly the Falcons aren’t ones to stop mid battle (war really) to check that stuff. And those malvina-ites will be angry enough to not care either way. (Ideally)
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #33 on: 06 May 2021, 05:24:23 »
Malvina continues to immerse herself in her villainous role. Is she somehow worse than in prior books or am I just suffering from villainous brat fatigue? I honestly can't say.

No, she's a lot worse in this book than she was in past. But I can't say way, due to rules 1, 3, 4 and 7.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 07 May 2021, 02:17:05 »
Chapter eighteen: Chance gets headshotted out of her mech again. Setting aside the extreme luck in surviving that exact situation twice, this is also why you don't lead from the front, kids!

Also she was critically injured and concussed just the day before. While I don't put it past the clans to jump into battle regardless of their injuries, there isn't much of a comment on them in this case, literally just a sentence about pushing past the pain of her injuries. It would have been nice to see more indication of her struggling with those injuries, just to add some consequences for prior events.

Will she shrug off these injuries as well?

Also the Warbear is confirmed dead, and he will be missed. While I've poked fun, I can at least acknowledge that he served some narrative importance. There was at least an attempt to use him to suggest that Alaric was not himself capable of doing all the things and still needed and wanted to surround himself with talented people. Will the wolves suffer the lack of his tactical geniustm, or will they continue on as though nothing appreciable has changed? We shall see.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2021, 02:18:38 by Liam's Ghost »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 07 May 2021, 02:43:01 »
Chapter Nineteen: Malvina of course manages to get upstaged by her prisoner. I'm just so sick of her and her psychopatic but kinda dumb mean girl routine that I was rooting for her to be out of commission just for a little while longer so I wouldn't have to read more of it yet.

Blah blah honor blah blah dead bear blah blah now it's serious blah blah. I feel like we're supposed to sympathize with Alaric here, maybe even agree with him? Certainly it's been hammered into us how shameful the headhunting attack was, but I just don't feel it. Oh no, you're angry because the guys you attacked who don't live under your ridiculous system didn't follow your rules. Suck it up princess. This is the real world. The people you attack don't owe you a ****** thing. You aren't entitled to define the rules of the wars you start.

(I see hardcore crusaders who get puffed up at dishonorable spheroids as petulant children is what I'm saying).

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #36 on: 07 May 2021, 07:28:47 »
The interesting thing about the headhunting is, that we get the impression it is the headhunting itself that is a problem. Which is strange, given the Zellbrigen and duels. It would have been so easy to make it about the false flag part, but that's not what the novel focuses on.
I always tell people, to look at it as if the false flag was the problem, because then it fits with Clan thinking.

Also, I agree on Malvina. She was less of a cartoon villain in the past. But I will give some leeway here, since it is kinda normal that her mental issues would grow and grow, given her position and any lack of resistance to her becoming more and more cartoonish.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 07 May 2021, 09:43:18 »
(I see hardcore crusaders who get puffed up at dishonorable spheroids as petulant children is what I'm saying).

I've had questions about this with almost all portrayals of Clanners. 
Clanners versus Inner Sphere: They don't follow the rules!  They are horrible!
Clanners versus Clanners: Constantly not following the rules in order to win.  Sneak attacks, headhunting, artillery blasts from a horde of artillery, ganging up on targets, intentionally choosing the obvious weakness of the opponent (an elemental challenging an aerospace pilot to unaugmented combat).

Up to a point I can explain it as Clanners exploting the system but able to maintain appearances of honor.  You didn't see me blast Kerensky with a cluster worth of artillery.  Yes I choose the less honorable combat to win my bloodname, but that's within the rules. etc.  But what I don't get is the supposed inability of any clanner to deal with any such tactics from the Inner Sphere. Not just complaining, but losing, because they are incapable of expecting or dealing with IS tricks. Clanners deal with Elementals daily, but can't deal with a camouflaged or hidden enemy?   

The weakness of Clanners facing the Inner Sphere seems overblown to me.
Maybe it's just excuses.  Clan warriors can't possibly lose to the Inner Sphere, therefore it must be their dishonorable tactics and not because I'm not as good as I think I am.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #38 on: 07 May 2021, 09:57:30 »
Maybe it's just excuses.  Clan warriors can't possibly lose to the Inner Sphere, therefore it must be their dishonorable tactics and not because I'm not as good as I think I am.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

Against the Inner Sphere, strictly "honorable" combat plays to the Clanners' advantages so of course they insist on it, and if the IS "cheats" well then that just goes to show how superior we are to those surats anyway, etc. etc.

Against other Clanners where strict honor rules would only create an actually level playing field, well, of course find any way you can to abide by the letter while flouting the spirit, or completely circumvent them if needs must.
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 07 May 2021, 21:33:04 »
Hey, isn't Alaric employing and planning on raising up the Fidelis who false flagged an entire warcrime not too long ago, and whose entire schtick is covert, sneaky, dishonorable operations?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 07 May 2021, 21:56:35 »
Chapter Twenty: The chapter takes some time suggesting that Alaric must struggle on alone without his best advisors, but I can't shake this feeling that there won't be much struggling involved.

He's also got a plan for dealing with the Northwind Highlanders. Even if I didn't know what was coming, the memes are so prevalent that I would have guessed he'd offer to let them keep Northwind if they bowed out. I'll save what I think about what actually happens for when it happens.

The crew of Fratricide has kinda grown on me. So much so that sharp eyed readers may have noticed that I never complained that there were only two of them (until now) instead of the full complement a tank of that size should probably have. I'll let that go though.

The rest is more typical Alphas posturing at each other, which frankly I'm bored with. Malvina is her usual blustery brat self and Alaric is the totally cool guy who has all the words. We get it, Alaric is the chosen one, as foretold by the scrolls.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 07 May 2021, 22:29:31 »
Chapter Twenty One: God Damnit.

So Alaric talks the Northwind Highlanders out of a well prepared defensive position because Scotland.

Then he talks Tara Campbell out of taking him out of the fight when she's got him dead to rights. Because suddenly now she's afraid her regiment might get wiped out. Not when she had her army travel to Scotland to charge headlong into a numerically and technologically superior foe just a bit ago, but now. Because Alaric talked her into it. Because the writer probably realized that having Alaric win a three on one fight was probably too much for even him and needed to write a way out of it.

God damnit. This book is gonna go sit in the corner and think about what its done.

Also we're introduced to the old guard, a regiment that totally always existed.

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: 08 May 2021, 01:36:23 »

Then he talks Tara Campbell out of taking him out of the fight when she's got him dead to rights.

I expressed the exact same sentiment in another thread. I would be the first one on this forum to defend this novel, but I believe most narrative criticisms derives from how events are presented instead of their outcomes.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #43 on: 08 May 2021, 20:54:09 »
God damnit. This book is gonna go sit in the corner and think about what its done.

The best thing about "Hour of the Wolf" is actually this very review. I had more fun with it than while reading that steaming pile of manure.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 08 May 2021, 22:07:37 »
Chapter Twenty-Two: Two more drones in this fight, appearing with no context or reasoning as part of the largely faceless enemy that is the Old Guard. Some context about how the Republic is using them would be nice, but the snapshots we get of each battle is too small for that. Were the old guard sending them all in at once, directed from controllers behind the lines? Were they being sent in in waves with drone controlling units switching to new ones as their prior drones got killed, like a reserve force that saved on manpower?

It's an interesting dynamic that I would have liked to see explored is what I'm saying. The chapter itself is pretty much the standard "pitched battle against a largely faceless enemy" that has happened so often. A little diversion into something we haven't seen over and over again would have been nice.

I'm surprised that the Old Guard managed to walk off the battlefield rather than being formally introduced just in time to be wiped out. But then they were fighting the Jade Falcons after all. Let it never be said that Malvina ever got a chance to be as "cool" as Alaric.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 22:14:42 by Liam's Ghost »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 08 May 2021, 22:22:39 »
Interlude: Erik Sandoval-Groell dropping some truth bombs. You don't go running out to help a friend while your own house is on fire.

Also the Ghost Bears have caught on that Terra's an elephant trap. The notion that it is still particularly important mostly exists to trap nation states and get them killed and the only really winning move is not to play.

(I mean, it's probably not going to consume the Wolves like it is the Republic and Jade Falcons, because Wolves, but it really should. Alaric should not be able to get away with leaving everything that makes his empire an empire unprotected, but he probably will)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 08 May 2021, 23:38:41 »
Chapter Twenty Three: And thus the Old Guard died so that some falcon other than a Malvina follower could get the kill while staging the fight in the middle of a 300 reference.

Honestly, it's about what I expected. The old guard were introduced, touted as the best of the best, got one token moment to shine against the designated bad guy, then died mostly off screen.

Maybe it was supposed to be a reference to how Napoleon's cherished Old Guard couldn't bring him victory at Waterloo. But really, it was just another Worf to be brushed aside. 

Also, Alaric Ward is happy to hear that the Republic is concentrating the best of their troops against the Falcons. This is actually the second time that he has indicated that this is all according to Keikaku, which I suspect might be a relevant fact later.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Stone finally realizes that nobody's coming to help and it's time to surrender.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #47 on: 09 May 2021, 01:21:57 »
Blah blah honor blah blah dead bear blah blah now it's serious blah blah. I feel like we're supposed to sympathize with Alaric here, maybe even agree with him? Certainly it's been hammered into us how shameful the headhunting attack was, but I just don't feel it. Oh no, you're angry because the guys you attacked who don't live under your ridiculous system didn't follow your rules. Suck it up princess. This is the real world. The people you attack don't owe you a ****** thing. You aren't entitled to define the rules of the wars you start.

Lest we forget, Pardoe has written a BattleTech novel where the Jade Falcons engage in a headhunter attack on Lyran commanders. Whether he forgot, disregarded it in favour of the narrative here, or was deliberately invoking the Clans' hypocrisy is unclear.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #48 on: 09 May 2021, 01:38:09 »
Lest we forget, Pardoe has written a BattleTech novel where the Jade Falcons engage in a headhunter attack on Lyran commanders. Whether he forgot, disregarded it in favour of the narrative here, or was deliberately invoking the Clans' hypocrisy is unclear.

I'll vote "forgot" any day
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 09 May 2021, 02:46:40 »
Chapter Twenty Four: We get it Alaric, you had a serious bromance with the War Bear. Your occasional bouts of grief might be meaningful if they didn't feel like token attempts at pathos.

The Clans once again lecture the Inner Sphere on honor, though it is also used as a chance for Stone to get a shot in at Malvina. Alaric, of course, dominates the conversation, essentially dictating the surrender and the terms of the trial with the Jade Falcons, while Malvina is mostly there to get prickly and talk about ripping out people's hearts. Because she's a plot device at this point rather than a person. She exists entirely to establish why Alaric is the chosen one.

Stone once again agrees he was dastardly with his headhunting attack and tries to once again weasel into Alaric's good graces, but our designated protagonist is having none of it, because why would he? I suppose it's in character for what we've seen of Stone at this point to angle for treacherous vizier, but... come on man, it's time to stop.

Also, hi Cynthy.

Interlude: Okay, so this was mentioned by Alaric in the last chapter and I just assumed it was typical posturing, but then Daoshen says (or rather thinks) the same thing, that everybody's been trying to claim Terra all this time.

But it's bunk. The Great Houses haven't been trying to take Terra all this time. In fact, aside from a few hiccups they've been content to respect the neutrality of Comstar while it held Terra, and even the Word of Blake until they went Jihadin'.

Sure, if one of the great houses had gained real supremacy during the Succession Wars then they would have inevitably turned to Terra, but that never happened, and each house had literally a thousand other things to care about rather than Terra. Terra's safety was so taken for granted that Comstar got by with no publicly disclosed defense force for a significant part of its existence.

To suggest that suddenly Terra is the big prize everybody wants feels like a clunky attempt to add punch to Alaric's inevitable victory.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 09 May 2021, 18:24:25 »

But it's bunk. The Great Houses haven't been trying to take Terra all this time. In fact, aside from a few hiccups they've been content to respect the neutrality of Comstar while it held Terra, and even the Word of Blake until they went Jihadin'.

And ComStar didn't even suspect the Clans were aiming for Terra, until Ulric spilled the beans after the Battle of Luthien.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 09 May 2021, 19:06:08 »
Chapter Twenty-Five: The formal trial is declared in a big ceremony. Not much to say about that.

Jack is now angry thinking Stone threw them away for nothing. There is always people like that after a defeat, out to look for someone to blame. Sometimes they're armchair generals, but sometimes they're just people who want all the deaths they saw to have some meaning. Is his anger justified? Not really for the reason he thinks (Stone had honestly convinced himself he was going to win, so he didn't intentionally send them out with false hope), but it's pretty human.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 09 May 2021, 22:10:59 »
Chapter Twenty-Five: The formal trial is declared in a big ceremony. Not much to say about that.

Jack is now angry thinking Stone threw them away for nothing. There is always people like that after a defeat, out to look for someone to blame. Sometimes they're armchair generals, but sometimes they're just people who want all the deaths they saw to have some meaning. Is his anger justified? Not really for the reason he thinks (Stone had honestly convinced himself he was going to win, so he didn't intentionally send them out with false hope), but it's pretty human.

That was probably my favorite bit of human writing. One of the few parts that made sense also.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 10 May 2021, 01:56:35 »
Chapter Twenty-Six: "I feel as if I am betraying my people." I mean, you are Tara. But it's not like it's even the first time during this conflict, so cheer up, okay?

The constant hero worship of Alaric is almost as tiring as the constant reminder that several of Malvina's commanders follow her out of fear. The founders weep for these squeemish chickens that followed them. Is it really so much to ask that Stephanie Chistu say "you are compromising our battle plans and our chances in the single most important battle of our lives in the name of your petty grudges and I challenge you to a trial of refusal, you spoiled, petulant brat."

Sigh, Vlad Ward would have murdered at least two Khans by now.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 10 May 2021, 02:23:36 »
Chapter Twenty Seven: Lots of the usual fighting. Alaric does not behave as Malvina expects and outfoxes her because of course he does.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #55 on: 10 May 2021, 02:42:10 »
Chapter Twenty Seven: Lots of the usual fighting. Alaric does not behave as Malvina expects and outfoxes her because of course he does.

Given the venue for the final Wolf/Falcon throwdown (central Canada), it would've been fun if the fighting had ended up swirling around (and probably burning down) Stefan Amaris' Imperial Palace, where he surrendered to Kerensky and was subsequently executed.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 10 May 2021, 02:55:33 »
Chapter Twenty Eight: Malvina has a plan!
Chapter Twenty Nine: And she actually pulls it off!

A tabletop purist might claim that the affects of the fire were greatly overblown (by the rules external heat sources like fire are capped out and by themselves aren't really much of a threat to any mech with double heat sinks). However, I'm going to have to lean towards the lore side of the lore vs rules debate in this case. The troops trapped in the cauldron trod common ground with the Ghost Bears in the Holth forest on Tukayyid.

I will, however, comment that Malvina pulling off her plan on such a huge scale in so short a time seems very iffy to me. Setting aside the logistics of setting up a great big three galaxy surrounding perimeter of accelerants in a very short time, nobody who's responsible for running the air battle managed to notice that the Jade Falcons were mounting massive air strikes to light the forest on fire until it was too late?

While there might be perfectly reasonable explanations for this, we don't get any. Instead, it is just a thing that happens.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 10 May 2021, 03:38:37 »
Chapter 30: Alaric's totally secret reserve is finally revealed. Honestly, with the recruiting of the Dragoons being the subject of an entire novella all its own, I'm not sure why the writer was being so cagey about it. 

Since I skipped ahead in my reading list to get this book out of the way, I don't have any thoughts on the Dragoons turning wolf (aside from... hey, aren't a significant portion of the dragoons recruited from outside the unit and thus don't really have that clan connecti... no, no, save it for the other book).

Keeping them back up until this point is probably a good move. The wolves clearly didn't need to commit them against the republic, and if they've somehow kept them hidden all this time, it gives the Wolves fresh troops that are technically allowed into the fight (being already on planet).

I wonder how the wolves actually kept them hidden. A large fleet of wolf affiliated dropships coming to terra late, landing in North America, and suspiciously not doing anything at all was something the falcon fleet in orbit would have noticed. So I'm wondering if that will be addressed or not.

Chapter 31: Basically pregame show.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 10 May 2021, 08:31:17 »

and if they've somehow kept them hidden all this time, it gives the Wolves fresh troops that are technically allowed into the fight (being already on planet).

It's funny how the details required of a batchall can change according to the needs of the story. In other Clan stories we have the two sides sharing rosters down to the last MechWarrior. Malvina could have asked for the same here. But she needs to hold the idiot ball.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #59 on: 10 May 2021, 08:32:02 »
Given the venue for the final Wolf/Falcon throwdown (central Canada), it would've been fun if the fighting had ended up swirling around (and probably burning down) Stefan Amaris' Imperial Palace, where he surrendered to Kerensky and was subsequently executed.

Battle is too far to the east, there's a whole two provinces in the way. Amaris Palace is in Lake Louise, Alberta. Battle takes place in central and northern Ontario, through to Manitoba, with Malvina being based in Winterpeg... er, Winnipeg.

The authors clear lack of understanding of Canadian geography was extremely frustrating. Length of trial, vs geographic area, vs lack of dropship transport, equals broken suspension of disbelief.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones