Author Topic: The Wars of Reaving (print edition)  (Read 9725 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
The Wars of Reaving (print edition)
« on: 02 September 2011, 16:51:55 »
Hello.

I suppose it's a sign of how little attention I've been paying to the new release announcenents on the forums, or how little I expect them to equate to what the distributors up here end up getting to the actual store*, but I was genuinely suprised to see the print copy of The Wars of Reaving at the local FLGS yesterday. I didn't realise the book was actually in development, let alone set for publication.

(They also got the Reunification War book in, but I could only go for one book this time.)

The first thing I had to say is that, while the idea of the Wars of Reaving was around, this book felt like the first time in a long while that I was reading a "new" history. While events like Operation KLONDIKE were fascinating to read about, that book seemed to mainly flesh out a lot of what was already fairly well established as happening in that era; and as for the Jihad itself, a lot of its goings-on were in a sense spoilered by the Dark Age material published elsewhere. In the case of the Wars of Reaving, however, even in the Dark Age there was a veil of mystery hanfing over the Home Clans; now, it feels like the first truly new set of events has been added in to the setting.

One detail I really like about the book is how the borders go; starting with the ful 20 Clans from KLONDIKE, with a message meant to be handed down to their successors, a message gradually worn away as so many of the tiles are re-drawn, removed, wiped clean, or smashed into ruin. (Even the little detail of showing the faded symbol of an Absorbing Clan just as certain Clans are removed or replaced; very clever indeed.)

However, one thing I'm a bit disappointed at is with the maps. Both have the background colour of the terrain areas too closely matched with the text used to name each system; it's hard to make out the black text agaisnt the dark grey colours. Plus, on the 3067 map, it's really eye-straining to try and read the names of the scattered worlds on the Deep Periphery cutaway; some of the letters look like they have streaks cut across them.

As for the long-term impact of the changes in this book, I'd be most interested personally to see how the Hansa will deal with the increasingly more-than-lukewarm water it's suddenly finding itself in; hopefully the prospect of a return to the Deep Periphery in a future book will be helped by the significant shifts in the regional balance of power this book lays out.

On a wider note, a part of me wonders how much of an effect the Reaving will have on the broad Clan fanbase. With so many losses, Annihilations, Abjurations and Absorptions, will long-standing fans of certain Clans feel disenfranchised with the loss of their faction of choice; or perhaps, will they become focused on the time periods in which they felt most at home in, ignoring the later books?

(In essence, will the Reaving do to the Clanners what the Clan Invasion itself did to the Spheroids; divide those who embraced the changes from others who cut their interest in Battletech off at the point just before they's have to pay attention to them?)

In all, it's an excellent book, and one which seems to be the first in a long time to really define something "new" (if I'm not making a maess of how to describe it); though I wish the maps had been better tailored to greyscale.

Oh, and are there official colour images of the new Scorpion and Lion logos anywhere?

*While the store gets in a fair amount of Catalyst books, there are a few, like JHS:Terra, which are supposedly released but which never showed up. Unless they are still PDF only?

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
Re: The Wars of Reaving (print edition)
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2011, 17:12:58 »
Though ordered i'll stick to playing pre Jihad as usual. After all most of my factions are at their best pre Jihad. Heck most of them are dead post Reaving/Jihad. :)

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2011, 10:36:38 »
I just got into the Blood Spirits ans now they are gone :'(  But I'm not mad, it's just the way it goes I still have a bunch of other faction that I play, that are still around. I loved this book, I tried to hold out for the print version but couldn't and bought the PDF and then still bought the print version. They got my money twice and I don't care :D

subspook

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2011, 19:44:40 »
According to a certain Dark Age novel the Blood Spirits might now be as dead as we think. I doubt Randall would completely kill his favorite Clan.
Taurian and Proud of it

subspook

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2011, 19:51:59 »
"might NOT" horrible grammatical error on my part sorry. Also, I have to give props to Mr. Rome this book looked very difficult to write and he did a great job.
Taurian and Proud of it

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2011, 22:52:33 »
Got my copy just before the long weekend.

Immense enjoyment having it in my hands to read.

All I can say of Ben Rome. Great Job [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy] [notworthy]

Looking forward to the supplement that is planned. Any Idea when it is coming?

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2011, 23:18:00 »
According to a certain Dark Age novel the Blood Spirits might now be as dead as we think. I doubt Randall would completely kill his favorite Clan.

Considering the source who comes up with that (back water ME who apparently finds said information on the planet's local intranet), I'm not sure that information is still reliable.

jackson123

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2011, 21:03:09 »
cant wait to get a copy.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2011, 04:16:41 »
Can't wait to read it, been waiting for some Clan focused stuff.
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2011, 13:33:42 »
Catalyst intentionally went out of their way to leave the Wars of Reaving as a mystery so they could come out with a sourcebook with a new and refreshing storyline, relatively unknown to fans. 

As annoying as that was, it was immensely satisfying to finally get the complete story. 

The quality was better than the Reunification historical, less typos.   

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2011, 18:12:40 »
This was wonderful and amazing book to read.  I wish so much they were able make some kind of feature story, like continuing short-story in the beginning of the book.  WoR is so epic.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

General308

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2011, 11:26:10 »
I have the PDF.  I am not a clan player.  But I really really enjoyed this book.    Best story in a long time

Rael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2011, 19:03:21 »
The book is great, I really enjoyed it. Read it cover to cover in one awesome, eye-searing go.

The storylines are solid and suitably epic. There's subtlety and depth as well as the general chaos and death. I particularly enjoy Clans forging unlikely alliances or doing things that might normally be out-of-character, yet having these things justified by events. This made for enjoyable unpredictability.

Good to see the Society and Burrocks rear their heads (totally called that months before ;) ) and to see so many of the Clans darkest sides.

Sometimes I think things are a little underexplained. For example, the Vipers apparent surprise at the Adders turning around and pointing out that they were once an IS Clan too. Much earlier in the book Vlad Ward did the same thing and the Vipers did have some rebuttals to make; it would have been good to reiterate this at the later time. Without taking into account these previous reasons for not considering themselves Tainted, the Vipers could be seen to have been hit by a really obvious sucker punch. It's not that there's no explanation, just that some digging and deduction are needed to find it. Hey, maybe I'm just lazy, though I guess I don't really mind having to think. :P :D

jackson123

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2011, 20:55:02 »
This book is good, read it in one night. b+

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2011, 05:42:44 »
wow real,,I think your off a bit,,,the Society and burrocks wreck it for most peeps I know.I lov the "rocks",but when they where brought back they were made,,,WAY to powerful.

As for the Soc'after Khan Pryde figured out what was up in the last Twilite of the clans book,,,this wouldn't have happened,they'd be under the "watch's eyes" every second.

I think someone droped the ball on this,,,overall B-.
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Rael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2011, 18:36:09 »
I lov the "rocks",but when they where brought back they were made,,,WAY to powerful.

Two scratch Galaxies and a handful of Warships that were completely crushed by Clan Star Adder?  ???

The Burrock Touman was basically Upsilon Galaxy plus odds and sods that they could gather up on Tanis. They were as small as they could be and still present a halfway credible threat.

this wouldn't have happened,they'd be under the "watch's eyes" every second.

Apparently not, since it did happen.

You'd be surprised how many howlers inteligence organizations make in real life, and those are a lot more professional than the Clan Watch. Some fans just don't understand how many mistakes and wrong assumptions are made in the real world, and then when something similar crops up in BT they go on to falsely blame it on bad writing and 'stupid pills'. That's what's happening here.

Marthe Pryde never really knew how extensive the Society was until it was too late. The concept of the Society is alien to the hidebound Clans, it's not something that would really occur to them. The Clans are used to conformity and the Warriors are used to dominance. They grew complacent. Go figure, they're humans and flawed after all.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2011, 18:40:20 by Rael »

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2011, 22:13:52 »
right now i am reading the book right now and its sitting on table beside me right now. it cool reading to say the least. right now somewhere around page 116 in the book. post more when done reading in the next couple of days.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2011, 04:18:28 »

You'd be surprised how many howlers inteligence organizations make in real life, and those are a lot more professional than the Clan Watch. Some fans just don't understand how many mistakes and wrong assumptions are made in the real world, and then when something similar crops up in BT they go on to falsely blame it on bad writing and 'stupid pills'. That's what's happening here.

Marthe Pryde never really knew how extensive the Society was until it was too late. The concept of the Society is alien to the hidebound Clans, it's not something that would really occur to them. The Clans are used to conformity and the Warriors are used to dominance. They grew complacent. Go figure, they're humans and flawed after all.

Sorry Real,,,I understand and your WAY off.By giving the book a B,I thought it was good,,,not exellent.Bad writing and "stupid pills' are your words,,,I feel sorry for you not seeing that this is a game and fiction,,,and not real life,you must seperate the two "That's what's happening here".

As to Marthe,,,,she seems to "agressive" to let anything go,she wouldn't have let "this" subject slip past her,being that type of person(according to the writers,you so happilly pointed out).

I personally like most of what has been put out over the years,,,,but I dont mix RL with the Game.i,e comparing the Clan Watch to say the CIA,,,,LOFL.
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Rael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2011, 18:19:10 »
I feel sorry for you not seeing that this is a game and fiction,,,and not real life,you must seperate the two "That's what's happening here".

I enjoy irony so I like it when someone tries to be patronizing without making any sense whatsoever.

As to Marthe,,,,she seems to "agressive" to let anything go,she wouldn't have let "this" subject slip past her,being that type of person(according to the writers,you so happilly pointed out).

No-one said anything about her letting it go. What I said is that she didn't know how extensive the Society was. She knew that Etienne was taking liberties and he was punished for it, but that's all. It's not like Marthe Pryde knew all about the Society and thought "Nah, it's not a big deal. Let 'em have their fun."

but I dont mix RL with the Game.i,e comparing the Clan Watch to say the CIA,,,,LOFL.

So by what standards do you judge how credible things in BT are? I'm going to guess 'arbitrary preconceptions', but I'll see what you have to say.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2011, 14:33:15 »

Especially since their icon wasn't removed from the margin---it's just faded....

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2011, 04:17:42 »
Man this book is DENSE, tons of info tons of words, I've been trying to read it during down time and random off schedule moments and I've been getting confused about what and who happened before where I've picked back up again, this seems like it requires a dedicated sit down read through, not a casual on break scan.

555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2011, 19:29:06 »
Can anyone give me an explanation for why the Stone Lions were created?  That part seemed particularly annoying, and its not something I've been able to come up with a rational explanation for.

ItsTehPope

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2011, 19:34:06 »
Can anyone give me an explanation for why the Stone Lions were created?  That part seemed particularly annoying, and its not something I've been able to come up with a rational explanation for.

One of the clans that was targeted for Reaving and overall shunning were the Hells Horses, but one Galaxy, Zeta was left behind.  Before they were about to be annihilated their GalCom stated that not a single warrior of theirs was ever in the Inner Sphere, and was thusly free of taint.  The Lions were born to remove any sort of "taint by name association"
If you actually care to listen to my thoughts outside of Battletech, find me at www.uselessblot.com

(4:37:55 PM) moonsword134: You're a bastard.
(4:38:11 PM) moonsword134: And so's the talking whiskey monkey who lives in bottles of tequila to give you ideas.

(4:52:52 PM) ShinjoJinturi: simply by having tag on the field, even in a game that appears to not have any lrms or arrows on the board, you can inspire fear

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2011, 19:49:45 »
Done as a political move by the Star Adders who wanted to keep the Stone Lions on side and give them an extra vote to play with - a very clever move.

Personally I've loved this book, some of the things in it are truely great, some nasty and some annoying.  Also like some of the rules in the back adds so much more to play with.

Shame the Ancestral Home's special got cut  :D #P
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2011, 01:11:53 »
But why give up so many resources?  You create a new clan, with all the hassle and potential emnity that creates, and lose the resources of a (damaged) galaxy for political support?  This was a great book but I the creation of the stone lions just seems plain silly.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2011, 19:17:13 »
Well, for the foreseeable future the kitties are politically beholden to the Adders. The War was winding down and they were looking at their future. Another vote to ensure their dominance versus... even more warriors and parts of a Galaxy?

The Adders are so far ahead of the Lions that they can (and probably will try) to swallow them whole when it's time. Politics.

Frankly, when I read that I clapped. It was a brilliant move. A proxy Clan... imagine, in a few years you can suggest they attack for you, preserving your forces while they do your dirty work. Council votes go your way. It's a puppet Clan and the Adders are savvy enough to use them right.

George_Labour

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2011, 09:36:16 »
One thing to consider is that the clan may not have wanted to absorb the remnants of another clan at that time. Considering all the craziness involving betrayers, claims of impurity, and guys in lab coats making super STDs absorbing a group of people who may or may not get your clan wipe out seems like a bad idea.

So instead they try a repeat of the jade wolves idea, only without the parts where the khan gets strangled instead of thanked.

As for the rest of the book I found it to be an enjoyable read. Although I was confused in exactly how they came to the conclusion involving the Fire Mandrills, and most definitely did not like how the Bood Spirits got treated. It's always seemed to me like the Blood's were there simply to get slapped around by the other clans, which is irksome as they're one of my favorites.

OTOH the revelations of their colonization projects leaves me with hope they'll pull off a surprise recovery. So long as they don't become a second group of secret cybernetic martians.

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2011, 22:24:21 »
Slowly but surely I read my way through this little by little. It was a long time coming and I did not want to miss even a Bit of it. Got it PDF first then the day it showed up at Heroes Haven I got the book. Oh it is a Great source book. Not Fiction Book. Maps would have nice at least though. if only to help see all the moving around. like in the Fed Com Civil War Book. The Clans have had their Jihad now indeed. The New Clan Invasion can now begin right? I am a Jade Falcon Fan.
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2011, 23:03:15 »
Alright, I'm convinced.  Creation of Stone Lions has officially been moved from "silly" to "irrational".

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 07 November 2011, 15:53:56 »
Is it really so irrational, with the Burrock example /right there/ in front of them?