Author Topic: ProtoMech of the Week: Basilisk and Basilisk Quad  (Read 17625 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
ProtoMech of the Week: Basilisk and Basilisk Quad
« on: 03 February 2015, 11:16:00 »
From TRO:3075!!

~

Disclaimer: There is a ProtoMech of the Month article that was written on the Basilisk a few years back. It can be found over here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/protomech-of-the-month-the-basilisk/
I've decided to do a new article for this machine in order to give it the same analysis that I've aimed for before, while covering the three new variants of the Basilisk released since 2012.

~

The second generation of ProtoMechs was a wildly mixed bunch. Most of the Homeworld Clans designed at least one (with the Spirits taking the prize by helping to make no fewer than three new models), and the quality of each varied immensely. The first to reach production would be the Erinyes - more commonly known as the Jade Falcon mistake. This abortive ProtoMech would only barely improve on its predecessor, the Harpy, but would remain just as useless as its progenitor. It would take one more year for the next new ProtoMech to reach full production: the Basilisk, which appeared in 3063.

Code: [Select]
BASILISK
INTRO: 3063
FACTIONS: Cloud Cobras, Steel Vipers, Star Adders, The Society
WEAPONS: ER Medium Laser, LRM-3 (2 shots)

ARMOR                 INTERNAL   
          (5)                    (2)      Arms -> Cored: 27 pts
          / \                    / \      Legs -> Cored: 33 pts
      (4 / 14 \ 4)           (2 / 7 \ 2)  Torso -> Cored: 21 pts
         | | |                  | | |     Legs -> Destroyed: 12 pts
        (  8  )                (  4  )
         MG (3)                 MG (1)

The first thing to notice is that the Basilisk shares the same tonnage as the earlier Roc. Why wouldn’t the Cobras simply put the Roc into production, then? For a few reasons. Firstly, the Basilisk was created to fill the large hole in their ground-based Touman. This meant that the Cobras not only needed a well armed machine, but one able to take a massive amount of punishment. The Basilisk succeeded in both roles. At its inception, it was the heaviest-armored ProtoMech to ever appear - and it carried even more firepower than the respectably-armed Roc. The 4/6 movement profile would surpass the Minotaur on the ground, allowing it to keep up with a larger variety of “standard” units, without aiming for the high (now unneeded) mobility of the Roc. In short: the Basilisk was to act as a solid anvil for existing Cobra forces.

The LRM is the real waste on the machine. It has its uses; it can be used as a long-ranged option while the Basilisk closes to ER Medium Laser range (making the lack of ammo a good choice in terms of weight savings and efficiency), or it can be used to plink over a long period of time. If a Point of Basilisks works together, one can shoot a single LRM volley every turn to give the Point an effective 10 turns of long ranged plinking. My issue: the LRM-3 could have easily been dropped down to an LRM-2, giving it an additional 200 kgs to spend on more ammo. The Basilisk would have then had 14 shots for its laucher, giving it long-ranged durability at a reduced BV cost.

As it stands, 320 BV can be expensive for what you get. You’re paying a small chunk of BV for a launcher that you’ll barely use, although it’s not an absurd price to pay for the amount of armor and ER Medium Laser that you get out of the deal.

BASILISK 2
INTRO: 3064
FACTIONS: Cloud Cobras, Steel Vipers
WEAPONS: ER Small Laser, ER Micro Laser (x2), SRM-2 (10 shots)

(5)                    (2)      Arms -> Cored: 25 pts
          / \                    / \      Legs -> Cored: 29 pts
      (4 / 12 \ 4)           (2 / 7 \ 2)  Torso -> Cored: 19 pts
         | | |                  | | |     Legs -> Destroyed: 10 pts
        (  6  )                (  4  )
         MG (3)                 MG (1)

The Basilisk 2 would make its appearance a year later, showing up in trial runs within the Cobra’s Alpha Galaxy. The largest change would be its new use of jump jets, boosting its movement up to 4/6/4 in ideal conditions. The weaponry would be changed around while still maintaining a recognizable appearance; the ER Medium would be swapped out for an ER Small, while the LRM-3 would be replaced by an SRM-2 with 10 (!!) shots of ammo. Two arm-mounted ER Micro Lasers would round out the pack, but these additional guns would force a less-than-ideal reduction of armor. Simply by looking at the amount of damage needed to destroy each location, one can see that the Basilisk 2 fails many thresholds that the original Basilisk would survive.

The first thing to note is that this variant was largely put through its paces on Homer. A mountainous and desertic planet, Homer also suffers from a harsh surface gravity of 1.4 g. This would make the jump jets amazingly useful; instead of moving 3/5 (as the standard Basilisk would), the Basilisk 2 would be able to move a risk-free 3/5/3 to keep some of its mobility. This lends it well to ambush tactics and mountainous terrain, nearly ideal for the planetary conditions it found itself in.

The issue, once again, revolves around the missiles. The SRM-2 would suffer from a heavy +2 to-hit penalty due to the gravity. Although I am obviously unsure if the Cobras did this, I would recommend swapping out all of the standard ammo for specialty rounds; Smoke, ARAD or Heat-Seeking rounds could all come in handy. Beyond Homer, the SRM-2 can give the Basilisk 2 a slightly longer range, but being forced to choose between the ER Micros and SRM at close range still make it appealing to load a few Smoke rounds into the launcher to help with closing strategies.

BV is a heck of a lot cheaper, coming in at 238 this time around. I still think it’s a bit expensive, especially since you have two short-ranged options that can’t be used at the same time. Dropping the ER Micros would have freed up a good 1000 kg to spend on upgrading the launcher and carrying more armor and ammo.

BASILISK 3
INTRO: 3067(?)
FACTIONS: Cloud Cobras, The Society
WEAPONS: ER Medium Laser

(5)                    (2)      Arms -> Cored: 25 pts
          / \                    / \      Legs -> Cored: 29 pts
      (4 / 12 \ 4)           (2 / 7 \ 2)  Torso -> Cored: 19 pts
         | | |                  | | |     Legs -> Destroyed: 10 pts
        (  6  )                (  4  )

The Basilisk 3 apparently made its debut as a variant put into production on the Tanite worlds. Rumors abound that this is, in fact, a Society model, although the RATs do place it in standard Cobra forces as well. 3067 would mark the first time that Improved Jump Jets would be used on a ProtoMech, giving the Basilisk 3 a very nice 4/6/5 movement profile. This choice would force the sacrifice of the LRMs found on the original model, which really isn’t a huge downside in my eyes.

This change fits with the Tanite worlds very well. Two of the worlds (Alexandra, Tanis) have lower gravity than usual (0.9 and 0.7 g, respectively). This would have the effect of boosting the Basilisk 3s speed to 4/6/6 on Alexandra and 6/9/7 on Tanis - both increases entirely risk-free, due to the very nature of ProtoMechs. Even on Stacha, with its 1.1 g, the Basilisk 3 would keep all of its 4/6/5 mobility. This would make the Basilisk 3 quite a threat to both vehicles and ‘Mechs it would encounter in the defense of the planet.

The reduction in armor makes the Basilisk 3 a near-clone of the original Roc. Weaponry and jump distance is the same, while they also share the same amount of armor. The only differences lie in ground speed (with the B-3 being slower) and with how the Basilisk has its ER Medium mounted in its torso instead of a Main Gun. Although this reduces its firing arc, it also allows the B-3 to carry two more points of armor in its torso and two more in its head (with one having been shifted from the legs up to the head, another good change in my book considering how much you'll be jumping).

This small reduction in ground speed has the rather impressive advantage of reducing BV by a whole 32 points, down to 306. If you’re the type of person who routinely jumps their Rocs around like there’s no tomorrow, the Basilisk 3 is an upgrade of that classic design. I’m quite fond of it.

Now we can take a look at the crazy stuff. 3072 had the Cloud Cobra branch of the Society unveil their own two varieties of the Basilisk - both of them Quads. Using them required either lobotomized pilots or the Feralize drug, both of them repugnant options for your “typical” Clan pilot. It dramatically altered the standard Basilisk doctrine; the transformation into a Quad enabled the Basilisk-Q to move at 5/8 speeds with the same old engine, while the armor was largely concentrated and replaced with a heavier (but more dangerous) Electric Discharge plate. Firepower was swapped over to a single SRM-4 with 10 shots of ammo, while additional melee weapons were attached to its claws, tail, and head.

BASILISK QUAD
INTRO: 3072
FACTIONS: Cloud Cobras, The Society
WEAPONS: SRM-4 (10 shots), Quad Melee Weapons, EDP Armor

(5)                    (2)     
          / \                    / \      Legs -> Cored: 42 pts
         / 14 \                 / 7 \     Torso -> Cored: 21 pts
         | | |                  | | |     Legs -> Destroyed: 21 pts
        (  13  )               (  8  )

The result is a ProtoMech that wants to close to point-blank ranges. The Melee Weapon System boosts its frenzy attacks up to 6 points of damage per hit (extremely respectable, considering the B-Qs size), while the EDP can discharge for a dangerous Taser effect. The EDP can then recharge for 6 turns straight, since the SRM-4 doesn’t demand any heat sink usage, which allows a full Point of B-Qs to constantly Taser an opponent without pause. Ouch. Combine that with Feralize, and you’ve got a possible 12 points of frenzy damage per Proto, at the cost of a +4 to-hit for the missile launcher and the loss of initiative for that unit (My interpretation of this is that the B-Q’s Point is forced to move first out of all units on the table - not necessarily a bad thing if you’re planning on encircling with them).

If you want to wander down the Feralize path, then carrying alternate munitions for the launcher is a must. Smoke rounds will help you close in to do your damage, while infernos might allow you to start some tactical fires if need be. Otherwise, the SRM-4 gives you a decent punch against all things conventional while letting you critseek well against damaged targets. It’s a very nasty ProtoMech if used well, and 213 BV isn't too heavy a price for it.

BASILISK QUAD B
INTRO: 3072
FACTIONS: The Society
WEAPONS: Quad Melee Weapons, EDP Armor

(5)                    (2)     
          / \                    / \      Legs -> Cored: 38 pts
         / 12 \                 / 7 \     Torso -> Cored: 19 pts
         | | |                  | | |     Legs -> Destroyed: 19 pts
        (  11  )               (  8  )

The Basilisk-Q B is straight up ridiculous. The only “heavy” ProtoMech to ever explore the high-speed avenue, it has a large enough engine to move 8/12(16) with the help of an extremely intelligent Myomer Booster. This led Society scientists to dump the SRM-4, leaving the Basilisk B with nothing but Melee Weapons and its EDP. This thing is a brawler in the purest sense of the word, made to enter melee combat as quickly as possible with Feralize pumping through the veins of its operator. The loss of initiative is a definite plus here; the BQ-B can encircle nearly anything it wants to with its incredibly high speed.

The downside here is that armor was reduced compared to the original...and for no reason. The BQB is absurdly underweight, and having some extra armor would have done a lot to improve its survivability. Even so, this wasted weight does have the plus side of reducing BV all the way down to 239, making it quite cheap for something that should be putting out a 12-point hit every other turn (along with a few Taser effects).

As an added note, don't forget that frenzy attacks only strike the legs of a 'Mech - three BQs on Feralize can put out an insane 36 points of damage concentrated between both legs of their target. Note: this just changed with the latest errata - now ProtoMechs can only attack targets in their own hex. This means that a maximum of two ProtoMechs can attack a single target per turn, reducing the max damage down to 24.  The PSR the 'Mech will have to roll will be made more difficult because of the Taser effect, and so BQs can be used as extremely effective hunter-killers when used against slower high-priority Heavy or Assault 'Mechs. Another thing: both Basilisk-Quads are an absolute bane to Battle Amored units. For the original BQ, 20 SRM-4s (possibly loaded with infernos) are enough to heavily damage a formation, while the effects of EDP automatically shut down a suit (or effectively destroy it for the scenario's purpose) with every physical strike that connects. Use of Feralize is also effective; no BA suit enjoys getting smacked with an 12-point hit, no matter the scenario. If you're a BA user, avoid the BQs. Seriously.

All in all, I like the Basilisk. The Standard and 2 both have some flaws that must be overcome, but they fit well with the nature of the machine. The 3 is probably one of the best line troopers you can get, while the two Society machines are extremely dangerous close-ranged berserkers. It comes to no surprise to me that the Adders and Vipers both enjoy the design (and I imagine that the Vipers would have loved the Basilisk 3), while the Society also made heavy use of the design. I feel like the Cloud Cobras mostly hit the nail on the head with their first ProtoMech, and I hope that they’ll bring more impressive ProtoMechs the next time they show up.

~

MASTERUNITLIST: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=basilisk
CAMOSPECS: http://camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=808
IRON WIND METALS: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=3451
« Last Edit: 18 May 2020, 13:14:30 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: ProtoMech of the Week: Basilisk and Basilisk Quad
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2015, 14:34:04 »
This is actually the protomech that got me into enjoying the usage of protomechs (At least, the quadruped redesign). I vastly prefer close-up urban combat, a role the Basilisk Q happens to specialize in.

And besides... Just look at the Basilisk quad. It looks like a dinosaur, battlearmor, and tiger were mixed together into something... Terrifying.

All in all, a well-written article.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2015, 14:43:37 »
Its a shame about the Basilisk Quad B being underweight. Has there been indication from TPTB or the designer as to what its supposed to be (IIRC there are quite a few designs that are underweight?).

I also find it interesting that there's no allowance to the BV of a ProtoMech with a main gun and arm mounted guns, since you can't fire them both in the same turn.

I also sort of find it interesting how many of these are labeled "Clan Cloud Cobra and Society" in terms of usage. maybe the Cobras are a bit more tainted than they let on?

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2015, 15:18:32 »
Its a shame about the Basilisk Quad B being underweight. Has there been indication from TPTB or the designer as to what its supposed to be (IIRC there are quite a few designs that are underweight?).

All of the designs that are underweight are Society designs from the Wars of Reaving Supplimental; the current stance on them puts them in the same category as BA with a "weight cap" that may or may not be met. The in-universe explanation is that the Scientist Caste was rushed into putting them into production

I also find it interesting that there's no allowance to the BV of a ProtoMech with a main gun and arm mounted guns, since you can't fire them both in the same turn.

This is something that heavily hampers certain designs...the Svartalfa alone would be a lot more interesting if you got a BV reduction. Having to pay for full usage of both the SSRM-6 and the 2xMedium Chem Lasers costs a loooot of BV.

I also sort of find it interesting how many of these are labeled "Clan Cloud Cobra and Society" in terms of usage. maybe the Cobras are a bit more tainted than they let on?

I'm not sure. I'm hunting through the books right now, seeing if there are any clues that point one way or another. So far, though, all I'm seeing is the corrupt batch of Scientists on Tanis.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2015, 02:15:54 »
All of the designs that are underweight are Society designs from the Wars of Reaving Supplimental; the current stance on them puts them in the same category as BA with a "weight cap" that may or may not be met. The in-universe explanation is that the Scientist Caste was rushed into putting them into production.

Sort of a shame. I know underloading things is technically legal, it just feels wrong, especially when its only one faction getting caught up in it. I know theoretically BV balance it a little bit, it just feels odd.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 02:52:31 »
Question: Where's the table of weapons and stuff for the non-society models?

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2015, 09:53:48 »
Sort of a shame. I know underloading things is technically legal, it just feels wrong, especially when its only one faction getting caught up in it. I know theoretically BV balance it a little bit, it just feels odd.

I feel ya, I really do.

Question: Where's the table of weapons and stuff for the non-society models?

Oh! Didn't know people appreciated those. Since no one had ever mentioned them before I've been slowly phasing them out, I only posted the Society one this time around to show how the BQ-B was underweight. Here ya go!

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2015, 10:31:44 »
I'm torn between liking the Basilisk and hating it. On the one hand its well armored by Protomech standards with good firepower, on the other it makes odd choices with the missiles and ammo that make me wonder how early the Society began their sabotage. Six hundred kilos on a weapon that can only fire twice? Ten turns of SRMs that block the Micro lasers?

Oh! Didn't know people appreciated those.

I really appreciate them. They're a concise way of showing things that gives more info than the record sheets without overwhelming me with data.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2015, 13:35:47 »

Oh! Didn't know people appreciated those. Since no one had ever mentioned them before I've been slowly phasing them out, I only posted the Society one this time around to show how the BQ-B was underweight. Here ya go!

Dude, we really appreciate your articles. All of them. And for all the wrong reasons... there are a lot of victim... err, players, that will discover the might of protomechs the hard way thanks to those articles  O0 O0
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2015, 13:54:10 »
I'm torn between liking the Basilisk and hating it. On the one hand its well armored by Protomech standards with good firepower, on the other it makes odd choices with the missiles and ammo that make me wonder how early the Society began their sabotage. Six hundred kilos on a weapon that can only fire twice? Ten turns of SRMs that block the Micro lasers?

I really appreciate them. They're a concise way of showing things that gives more info than the record sheets without overwhelming me with data.
Well, Wars of Reaving points out that the ATM system wasn't totally finished when the Coyote scientists presented it to the Warriors, but they did it to get the Warriors to stop bugging them for a while and let them get back to work. Likewise, the implication is that the Eyrines was purposefully designed badly so that the program would get killed and the scientists could move it off the records.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2015, 14:35:37 »
It's more that without the table the article doesn't make that much sense early on, you're suddenly talking about the armaments without telling us what they are, it's hard to understand things

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2015, 15:09:27 »

I'm not sure we can really blame the Society for this one. The Erinyes is one thing - it uses the worst (proven nonviable) tonnage possible for a ProtoMech which leaves it with barely any options. On the other hand, this is a 7-ton Proto that's sturdy and has impressive firepower...and the LRM ammo issues would be immediately visible to anyone giving the thing more than a glance. I dunno.

Alright, awesome. I'll make sure to keep them in all future articles if people are getting good mileage out of them!

Dude, we really appreciate your articles. All of them. And for all the wrong reasons... there are a lot of victim... err, players, that will discover the might of protomechs the hard way thanks to those articles  O0 O0

Mil gracias, G&D :)

It's more that without the table the article doesn't make that much sense early on, you're suddenly talking about the armaments without telling us what they are, it's hard to understand things

Ohhh, I listed the weapons in the #code section right above the armor diagrams. I figured it'd be easier to put that kind of information there instead of repeating it over and over again in the main body of text. I find that it can sometimes get confusing to figure out what a 'Mech or Proto has in terms of firepower when it's spread out across a paragraph or two. By doing it this way I can instead focus on talking about the actual use the Proto can get out of its weapons, etc.

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2015, 13:32:59 »
The Basilisk Quad is one of my favorite Protomech designs. Thanks for this article!

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2015, 13:44:30 »
The Basilisk (Quad) is yet another design which I had written off shortly after reading its entry in WoR. I'm glad this article made me take a second look, because I now understand why it's such a dangerous little Proto.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2015, 13:45:49 »
By the way, I'd like to add my support for those comparative graphs you do; they're excellent, and honestly, there's part of me hoping you'll go back and add them for the articles that lack them.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2015, 14:03:29 »
By the way, I'd like to add my support for those comparative graphs you do; they're excellent, and honestly, there's part of me hoping you'll go back and add them for the articles that lack them.

I agree with the others, that your comparative graphics are amazingly effective and worth trouble.  It helps give a bulleye picture of the unit your talking about.

I do have to admit, when i see you use the ASCII graphics highlight the ProtoMech's features (which is great too) i keep thinking your getting some of the data from old Battletech MUD. This since it very dead on similar to what they used in that text based game. )
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2015, 14:58:46 »
The Basilisk Quad is one of my favorite Protomech designs. Thanks for this article!

My pleasure! I really enjoyed writing this one.

The Basilisk (Quad) is yet another design which I had written off shortly after reading its entry in WoR. I'm glad this article made me take a second look, because I now understand why it's such a dangerous little Proto.

Sick! I know that IMO, it's *the* most effective ProtoMech the Society brought out during the Reavings. The Sprite, Boggart and Zs are all good in their own right, but this one is a nasty lil' customer.

Shouldn't be too hard, I'll look at which articles are missing them and add them later on this week.

I do have to admit, when i see you use the ASCII graphics highlight the ProtoMech's features (which is great too) i keep thinking your getting some of the data from old Battletech MUD. This since it very dead on similar to what they used in that text based game. )

I never played the BattleTech MUD (or any MUDs at all), when were they active? The graphs come straight from the MegaMek entitystatus files (shame on me for forgetting to give credit before now, grr), I find that using ASCII graphics makes certain things a lot easier to understand.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2015, 16:01:13 »
Making the Society ProtoMechs was fun. I especially enjoyed taking things to 11 with the Basilisk quad. One thing that seems to have gone unnoticed is what when one of them encounters a MD infantry platoon.

But clearly I made systemic errors when working out the various Protomech designs. At this stage, I couldn't tell you what the source of my mistakes were. I certainly didnt intend for any to be underweight.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Since fixing it would also require new recordsheets, we may be stuck with this one for a while.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2015, 16:12:26 »
I never played the BattleTech MUD (or any MUDs at all), when were they active? The graphs come straight from the MegaMek entitystatus files (shame on me for forgetting to give credit before now, grr), I find that using ASCII graphics makes certain things a lot easier to understand.
I don't want distract you from your featured article, so i'll keep this brief.
However, this MUD is the generic name for the these old UNIX type server games which stayed around longer than even the old Multiplayer Battletech game.

There were multiple games
One the games is BattletechMUX - A link for info on it.  Basically, how your doing your graphics is for armor is very much like if someone was playing the game.  As far being around I'm not sure, you'd have have telnet client which are free to log on and check it out. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2015, 20:15:04 »
Making the Society ProtoMechs was fun. I especially enjoyed taking things to 11 with the Basilisk quad. One thing that seems to have gone unnoticed is what when one of them encounters a MD infantry platoon.

Woah, input from the designer himself! I didn't know you were the guy who made these, Paul, thanks for sharing!
Yeah, the BQ would cause devastating damage in a theoretical Society/MD clash. I'm really not sure how the MD would have won this sort of fight at all beyond using an absurd number of WMDs.

But clearly I made systemic errors when working out the various Protomech designs. At this stage, I couldn't tell you what the source of my mistakes were. I certainly didnt intend for any to be underweight.
Apologies for the inconvenience. Since fixing it would also require new recordsheets, we may be stuck with this one for a while.

Something I noticed the first time around is that the BQ-B works if it's a biped design; I think it's little things like this (and maybe a weight change for magclamps) that caused most issues. It's not too bad a thing in the end, since the BV drops accordingly.

If anything, it'll let the Homeworld Clans field vastly superior versions of these once they come back to rampage around the sphere.  :D

One the games is BattletechMUX - A link for info on it.  Basically, how your doing your graphics is for armor is very much like if someone was playing the game.  As far being around I'm not sure, you'd have have telnet client which are free to log on and check it out. 

A'ight, cool! They any fun? I think I might have been too young to enjoy them in their heyday, I'm not sure.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2015, 20:45:12 »
A'ight, cool! They any fun? I think I might have been too young to enjoy them in their heyday, I'm not sure.

I dabbled with them, they were pretty cool. I think only problem with someone them now is that it really required people online to play against.  I remember using a Shadow Hawk, using a grid map march towards an enemy Locust in a forest.  It was interesting experience, it was like playing in a submarine in away.  ;D

I'm not sure if other Battletech themed MUDs required people be on to play. 

Thanks again for the great article, GreekFire!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2015, 12:14:32 »
Made a small correction to the article; the ProtoMech Melee System adds +2 to damage for every 5 tons of weight (including fractions). This means that the Basilisk (Quad) and Basilisk (Quad) B can both put out 6 points of frenzy damage in normal circumstances, or 12 points of damage if boosted with Feralize. That's the same amount of damage as a 60-ton 'Mech's kick, and enough to one-shot an Elemental suit. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #22 on: 20 March 2015, 14:02:21 »
Awesome article.

I do use the Basilisk 1 sometimes.  It makes a nice little body guard for a Bane 3 or other big clunky fire support unit.  The protos can lob a few LRM's in with the Bane and act as pickets if a mech tries to close on the Bane.  Yes, I know clan LRM boats don't need body guards cuz no minimum.  But having a point of Basilisks turn on an approaching mech allows the walking missile rack to focus on something else.

I also find both versions of the quad to be scary.  A point or try of either can essentially knock down and keep down an assault mech for an extended time.  Melee and taser and missiles mixed each turn is scary.  The Quad B is purely a drugged out rabid feralize machine.  You take a whack from a trey of those and you're falling down.

To the patient go the spoils

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2015, 14:10:16 »
Two ProtoMechs can be in the same hex, so a proper Sept would have no trouble surrounding a target and getting 12 Frenzy attacks in. Which'd crack the 20+ mark for a piloting check. At a +4 modifier. Assuming no critical damage to the leg. (144 damage possible, let's say only half hit...)
And a freny attack made while at the same elevation as the target goes to the Punch table.

Oh, one other thing worthy of mention: When you get kicked multiple times in the same phase, you have to make multiple piloting skill rolls. So a second version of this approach would be to get 4-6 ProtoMechs on target to ensure there's an EDP hit, while 3-4 'Mechs kick the target. Possibly 5 piloting checks, at +4 each. Go team.
Speaking of team, did you get Magpulsed by anyone recently? Ah, +6 it is. Yes, even those with a 1 Piloting skill can fall.

Also of note is that the EDP adds damage to the base frenzy damage vs infantry.
So, the Basilisk will do 7(14) against conventional infantry, and 8(16) against cybernetically enhanced infantry.
Each.

Pesky Tau Zombies...

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #24 on: 20 March 2015, 16:05:42 »
Two ProtoMechs can be in the same hex, so a proper Sept would have no trouble surrounding a target and getting 12 Frenzy attacks in. Which'd crack the 20+ mark for a piloting check. At a +4 modifier. Assuming no critical damage to the leg. (144 damage possible, let's say only half hit...)
And a freny attack made while at the same elevation as the target goes to the Punch table.

Oh, one other thing worthy of mention: When you get kicked multiple times in the same phase, you have to make multiple piloting skill rolls. So a second version of this approach would be to get 4-6 ProtoMechs on target to ensure there's an EDP hit, while 3-4 'Mechs kick the target. Possibly 5 piloting checks, at +4 each. Go team.
Speaking of team, did you get Magpulsed by anyone recently? Ah, +6 it is. Yes, even those with a 1 Piloting skill can fall.

So, the Basilisk will do 7(14) against conventional infantry, and 8(16) against cybernetically enhanced infantry.
Each.

Pesky Tau Zombies...

Hmm... my players will really hate you for this. I approve  O:-) O:-) O:-)
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2015, 16:32:24 »
Hmm... my players will really hate you for this. I approve  O:-) O:-) O:-)

Tell them I love their tears, and that they should be thankful we didn't make a Boggart with EDP and MWS. (base damage 9 before feralize, etc)

Paul

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2015, 17:04:49 »
Each.

Pesky Tau Zombies...

Is that how it works? I've always played it as frenzy attacks being the same as physical attacks dealt by 'Mechs, so damage/10, round up.
If Protos deal their full damage to infantry units...then yeah, the B-Qs suddenly become a lot worse.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2015, 20:44:54 »
!
Good point, that might be a faulty assumption on my part.
I'll investigate.
Now, obviously, it doesn't detract from the intent of the Basilisk or the EDP if you're right, I'd always thought it an amusing coincidence that the Society accidentally made the best anti-MD-infantry tech. Not a huge deal if that stops being true.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2015, 21:39:50 »
I dunno, there isn't anything written ATM in Total Warfare covering it. I posted something in the errata forum so hopefully there'll be an answer to that sometime soon.

It'd be fantastic if frenzies did full damage against infantry though...man, that'd be brutal.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 21 March 2015, 01:43:46 »
... I'd always thought it an amusing coincidence that the Society accidentally made the best anti-MD-infantry tech. Not a huge deal if that stops being true.

I always took this to be the foreshadowing of something big; damn conspiracy theory hat.  ::)