Author Topic: Anyone have advice for backdrops/backgrounds for pictures?  (Read 246 times)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
I thought I would ask if anyone has found a source for pre-made backgrounds for taking pics
at our scale?
These pics are for a larger than usual area. 4X4 feet. It's actually to show the terrain features
with the miniatures only there for scale. I've got a few ideas but I want to see what anyone
with experience might say.Most of it will be green countryside but I might include something urban.
I might need to take some desert terrain pics later in the year though.
Thanks.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Anyone have advice for backdrops/backgrounds for pictures?
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2024, 00:45:24 »
For my light box, which is admittedly only a foot across, I found a book of Australian landscape photos on clearance at Half Price Books for $3. Some quick work with a knife and I have tons of to-scale backgrounds.

If you need 4 linear feet of background image, you might be hard-pressed, but you might be able to use smaller images tiled / repeated.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2024, 12:19:46 »
Have you had a look at Jon Hodgson Backdrops Book 2 - Sci-Fi available from Bad Squiddo Games?

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2024, 13:22:26 »
Thanks for the responses so far.

I checked in my closet and found a big roll of some kind of paper with clouds on it.
I think I bought it at hobby lobby but I can't remember if it's called a background,
bulletin board roll, or what.
It's pretty big. 4X6 feet I think. The clouds kind of look a little big though.
I also found some Woodland Scenics green flocked paper rolls.
I might use the flocked paper to make rolling hills over the cloud background.
Maybe white tissue sheets over the furthest hills to replicate distance.
If it looks to uniform I can break it up with some "Happy little trees" painted on.
This is a photo background meant to be BEHIND the focus of the photos so that
might work well enough.
If I can find the space to put it this might work better if I can start by gluing it
to some thin plywood that  I have lying around.
It'll be a while until I even get to that point so I'll keep checking back for any better ideas.

Register