Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 140925 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« on: 24 February 2014, 15:52:02 »
I'm a VERY recent convert to the CapCon, as I've recently started reading some older novels and sourcebooks and have become totally hooked! But as I was looking around for a general discussion thread for the Cappies, I was shocked to find that there wasn't one!

I see absolutely no reason why there isn't a general discussion thread for the CapCon/House Liao, so I thought I'd do something about that. And I'd like to start by asking every Cappie fan out there, who is your favorite Capellan character and why?
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2014, 15:56:53 »
Good old Max.

He believed in Santa Claus!

It is great fun to imagine to what ends his Court had to go to make his presents appear under the tree.

I like to think the CCAF doubtlessly had a completely deadpan Command Center dedicated to keeping the Chancellor up to date every Christmas Eve.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2014, 16:00:25 »
Was Mad Max really that bad?! I'm almost terrified to get my hands on the Warrior trilogy. I feel like it's going to make my blood boil a little bit. Not that I mind having the Capellans portrayed in a villainous light, but I like shades of grey too.

Really, though. Was Max really that bad?
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2014, 16:11:01 »
As portrayed in the book.... Unfortunately. I always viewed him as a certified genius - and certifiable, but a genius none the less. One who wouldn't have been fooled easily. Also, as someone who didn't hesitate to kill off members of the CC, but only to the betterment of the CC as a whole, which he did care deeply for. Like Sun-Tzu with more cackling. :)

The books did not portray him well, though. Still a good read, shows the Davion side quite well.

- Shane

It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2014, 16:19:55 »
And I'd like to start by asking every Cappie fan out there, who is your favorite Capellan character and why?

I am no Capellan fan.

Chancellor Maximilian Liao.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2014, 16:22:48 »
So why Max, martian? :)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2014, 16:29:14 »
I am no Capellan fan.

Chancellor Maximilian Liao.

It's a tough question.  I mean, we've had what, Danai and Loren Jaffray as the only sympathetic Liao characters in novels ever?

So many more heels, and when you're picking a favorite heel, it's hard to top Max.

Still, if we're excluding heels, maybe Archie McCarron.  One of my perpetual "when I get around to it" projects is to do up a Xenophon adaptation in the form of the Big Mac's Long March.

Tassa, I know you have a thing for hot Liao chicks so you'd do worse than to look up the McCarron's Armored Cavalry scenario pack.  I'm not at home right now and don't remember her name, but one of Marcus Barton's officers is right up your alley.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2014, 16:37:09 »
I always enjoyed Aris Sung.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2014, 16:40:53 »
I always enjoyed Aris Sung.

Why is that? :)

I have also gotten to know Aris Sung a bit in the Capellan Solution books. Seems like a pretty decent man, as far as things go, but I'm also new so he could be as bad as they come for all I know.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2014, 16:42:10 »
So why Max, martian? :)

For many people here, he is just "Mad Max". Comical character with his "Oh, shiny!" being his most famous quote. Foolish politician with delusions of grandeur, naive enough to trust Davion spies.

But I remember him as he was in the very first Capellan Confederation housebook from 3025.
Dedicated to his almost-shattered nation, wedged between two much more powerful neighbours.
Ready to use any weapons and tools he was able to find.
Relentless and ruthless.

Respected enemy.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 16:44:18 by martian »

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2014, 17:46:44 »
I'll put myself down for Aris Sung as well. He had a very well defined moral center and strong ethics based on the Lorix order and Kung Fu Tzu (Confucious). All that and he still kicked butt.

And I'm not much of a Cappellan fan.
   - Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2014, 18:51:11 »
I always liked Talon Zahn.  He's a talented soldier and planner, but not ridiculously so.  Plus, he works with Sun-Tzu and manages to stand up to him from time to time.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2014, 19:03:01 »
I always liked Talon Zahn.  He's a talented soldier and planner, but not ridiculously so.  Plus, he works with Sun-Tzu and manages to stand up to him from time to time.

I was going to say the same thing but Ion Rush probably comes in a close first over Talon.
Rush is utterly dedicated to the Capellan state, to the point that he recognised that Romano had to die. Despite his treachery (in his mind it was more a good deed for the state rather than a betrayal) he then turns around to work closely with Romano's son, Sun-Tzu.
Why? Because he recognised that promoting Sunny boy to the top job would ultimately benefit the CapCon.

I also like the idea of a warrior house head not just being a mindless killer - instead, he's also a politician who knows how to tread the halls of power and play the game

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2014, 19:30:49 »
...wait, Ion Rush is the one that killed Romano?! I did not know this! :o

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2014, 19:32:50 »
...wait, Ion Rush is the one that killed Romano?! I did not know this! :o

He wasn't.  But he helped Candace get into the palace so that she could off her sister.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2014, 19:35:16 »
He wasn't.  But he helped Candace get into the palace so that she could off her sister.

Oh, okay, this seems a lot more in keeping with the little hints I've been reading. I'm kinda reading my way backwards in Capellan continuity (i.e., I've read the Capellan Solution but not the Warrior Trilogy). In which book did this take place?

Also, I could *swear* that Sun-Tzu pretty much took credit for the assassination of the Taurian Protector that happened during the Detroit summit where Sun-Tzu never showed. Is this accurate as well?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2014, 19:40:04 »
Oh, okay, this seems a lot more in keeping with the little hints I've been reading. I'm kinda reading my way backwards in Capellan continuity (i.e., I've read the Capellan Solution but not the Warrior Trilogy). In which book did this take place?

Right near the end of the blood of kerensky trilogy.

Also, I could *swear* that Sun-Tzu pretty much took credit for the assassination of the Taurian Protector that happened during the Detroit summit where Sun-Tzu never showed. Is this accurate as well?

I don't recall reading anything where he claims credit, but there seems to be assumptions in some source material that this is what happened.  And I could see it, because it netted the Cappies another periphery realm to exploit... er assist with advanced knowledge and cooperation ;)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2014, 19:49:00 »
I don't recall reading anything where he claims credit, but there seems to be assumptions in some source material that this is what happened.  And I could see it, because it netted the Cappies another periphery realm to exploit... er assist with advanced knowledge and cooperation ;)

I forget where in the Capellan Solution this was where I was reading it, but he did everything BUT come right out and say he did it. He also noted that Danai Centrella's death during the Great Refusal was fortuitous because he wouldn't have to have her killed (I'm assuming because he was setting up Naomi Centrella to become the Canopian heir). I remember being surprised by this because while I know what Inner Sphere leaders are capable of on a good day, some things still shock me when I don't see them coming.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2014, 19:55:11 »
I see absolutely no reason why there isn't a general discussion thread for the CapCon/House Liao, so I thought I'd do something about that.

I've never been much of a fan of these sorts of one-faction echo chamber type threads, because I consider the most interesting part of the fiction to be all the varied view points and player passions. Part of the reason behind it may simply be how sour I've been about the idea for so long.

And I'd like to start by asking every Cappie fan out there, who is your favorite Capellan character and why?

Daoshen Liao. He's brilliant, he's human, and he brings it to all comers like Sting clearing the ring during the main event on Monday Nitro.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 19:59:52 by MadCapellan »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2014, 19:57:25 »
Daoshen Liao. He's brilliant, he's human, and he's brings it to all comers like Sting clearing the ring during the Main Event on Monday Nitro.

Plus you could debate all day as to whether he's actually nuts or just projecting an image.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2014, 20:04:21 »
Plus you could debate all day as to whether he's actually nuts or just projecting an image.

Well, considering that ER:3145 and now H:WotR say that he fully believes in his divinity (edit: in the RPG rules section)...I think he's 100% nuts  :D :D

I just hope he doesn't turn into another Mad Max or Romano..  :-X
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 20:06:05 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2014, 20:07:16 »
Well, considering that ER:3145 and now H:WotR say that he fully believes in his divinity...I think he's 100% nuts  :D :D

Considering that it's written by Republic analysts, I'll consider it a 50/50 still ;)

I just hope he doesn't turn into another Mad Max or Romano..  :-X

He's already too successful for that :D

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2014, 20:12:34 »
Considering that it's written by Republic analysts, I'll consider it a 50/50 still ;)

He's already too successful for that :D

Ahh, sorry, I edited it too late.
The whole divinity thing is coming from the OOC RPG section, which has also cleared up some other questionable personalities. Useful section, that.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2014, 20:13:43 »
I've never been much of a fan of these sorts of one-faction echo chamber type threads, because I consider the most interesting part of the fiction to be all the varied view points and player passions. Part of the reason behind it may simply be how sour I've been about the idea for so long.

I don't see why any of those varied viewpoints and player passions can't be shared in a thread dedicated to the faction itself. It is what you make it, after all. ;)

This. I believe that Daoshen is absolutely a product of his upbringing just as Sun-Tzu was, and with the kind of man Sun-Tzu was, I could see Daoshen being groomed to be the kind of leader that projects divinity as just one more part of an ongoing strategy. I can just as easily see Daoshen playing this role for so long and for so well that he's started believing his own hype. But what makes him so fascinating is that you never really know, and there's a case to be made for either side of that equation.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2014, 20:44:06 »

Daoshen Liao. He's brilliant, he's human, and he brings it to all comers like Sting clearing the ring during the main event on Monday Nitro.

Daoshen is not human, you filthy heretic! He's a god! A god honouring with his mere presence in our world!
Praise his name!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2014, 22:51:49 »
I often find these faction-centric threads difficult to navigate, which is usually why I choose not to participate. I tend to prefer discussion threads where most of the participants aren't members of my chosen faction. They usually generate the most invigorating discussions about the Confederation.

Having said that, tassa_kay is one of the few online personae that I have a tough time saying "No" to, so I've chosen to chime in here as well.

As for the opening query:- I can't say that I have an absolute favourite Capellan character. Certainly, there are Capellan-centric characters that I regularly champion in the fiction, such as Kali Liao and Danai Centrella-Liao, but I don't think there's ever been one singular Capellan character who I can confidently say has been the primary focus for my interest in the faction.

I like the mix of personalities and character-types in the fiction for the Confederation too much for me to select just one above them all.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2014, 23:03:16 »
Awww, I'm flattered, Lore. :)

Kai is the one character that I feel I *should* start reading about, but just can't bring myself to do because he's such good friends with Victor. Victor, the character which I loathe above and beyond all others, including the entirety of Clan Star Adder. I can only *hope* that Daoshen did indeed stick him with a pin to make sure he was dead as was jokingly referred to in "Sword of Sedition".

Victor rant over.

I do have to say that I've found I have the same "problem" myself, Lore. While I absolutely adore Danai and consider her to be one of my favorite BattleTech characters, I am also (as you know all too well) extremely fond of Kali Liao as well, and for completely different reasons. Daoshen is also quickly becoming a favorite, as I find his caginess and his "divinity" to be highly entertaining. Even Romano appeals to me just on her general level of insane bitchiness in the pursuit of safeguarding her nation. I have found that I enjoy various Capellans for vastly differing reasons, and I think that says a lot about the multifaceted character of the CapCon as a whole.

I'd like this to be a place where anyone can jump in and join in any given conversation, and I'd hope that it wouldn't just be a chorus of agreement, as I'm sure many of us do have different opinions on things that have happened, or 'Mech design choices, or even in characters.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2014, 01:25:00 »
Well, a new Liao thread  O0

Just stopping by to say that I too like Danai; she's a tough young lady given what she's been through. If there is any karma in the BTU then she'll get to rule the CC, MoC and FS.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2014, 09:28:28 »
*snip*

Not a Capellan fan aside from my love of the Warrior Houses. That said, I like Faith McCarron mainly because there's so little said about here to my knowledge and I like that in from time to time. Near blank slates can be fun in AToW and fanfic writing.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2014, 09:37:11 »
I dunno... Romano Liao possibly?  Less about her over the top Dragonlady personification, and more about how she was handed the Confederation in shambles and managed to barely keep it together.

Not really much of a "Liao" fan.  And not really that much to get behind outside of that dynasty.  Pavil Ridzick, maybe?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you