Author Topic: The Dragon's Lair  (Read 186161 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: The Dragon's Lair
« Reply #30 on: 25 March 2011, 17:47:57 »
That was enlightening. Wonderful, another internecine war. I can't believe they killed off Vincent Kurita.

Clinically crazy eldest son? Great, and that guy from the cartoons' grandson is the new Coordinator/puppet.

Granddaughter.  Yori Kurita is a girl.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 25 March 2011, 19:15:32 »
Hmm, considering how willful Kurita women usually are I think the puppeteers may be underestimating this one.

As I saw it, there was two Black Dragon factions during the Jihad: The ones that rebelled and the ones that stayed loyal to the council. Jerrar and Minamoto probably belongs to the second faction. Also, Sapphire can not be Jerrar, since the Sapphire refers to Jerrar in third person in a way that excludes the possibility. Minamoto is probably Sapphire.

Yeah, seems like. Anyone else bored by this conflict though?

Nanaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 25 March 2011, 19:24:20 »

Not so much bored, but sick and tierd of it considering we Nova Cats have been continually getting the shaft because of it.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #33 on: 25 March 2011, 19:49:57 »
I'd have to agree it's time for something new.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #34 on: 25 March 2011, 23:23:39 »
Hmm, considering how willful Kurita women usually are I think the puppeteers may be underestimating this one.

Internal division in the Combine is like breathing.  If it isn't ISF and O5P conspring it's the Black Dragons.  The Combine has become the League in that it is largely a second class power and most of it's actual storyline is taking place inside it's borders.  It has gotten a bit old to me, but that's just my opinion.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Nanaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 26 March 2011, 10:18:11 »
Internal division in the Combine is like breathing.  If it isn't ISF and O5P conspring it's the Black Dragons.  The Combine has become the League in that it is largely a second class power and most of it's actual storyline is taking place inside it's borders.  It has gotten a bit old to me, but that's just my opinion.

Only first-rate powers nowadays are the Capellans, the Republic and the Rasalhague Dominion.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2011, 10:20:40 by Nanaki »

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #36 on: 26 March 2011, 14:25:32 »
I dunno, the Feddies haven't really suffered any major setbacks.  They just have a loon for a First Prince
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Nanaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 26 March 2011, 19:34:29 »
I dunno, the Feddies haven't really suffered any major setbacks.  They just have a loon for a First Prince

Well, to be honest, they have not exactly recieved good luck, either. They have been in a state of slow decay for quite some time, while all three of the top-tier nations have been skyrocketing in overall strength (Well, the Republic's case is because of their possession of a superweapon).

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2011, 12:48:04 »
And I don't see it that way.  The Republic is basically surviving in a state of military dictatorship in a pocket of space that can't be invaded.  Most of the territory outside of Prefecture X has been gobbled up either by opportunists like the Senatorial Alliance and Covenant Worlds, or lost to pro-house movements like the Stormhammers and Dragon's Fury which really really hurt the Republic.

Honestly the Lyrans may have been considered a first rate power prior to invading the former League, but they have problems of their own now.  Still wouldn't count them out in the long run, I can't see Alaric being accepted by the Lyran people.  The League is barely reformed and Regulus still poses a big threat, but I don't think anyone is saying the reformed League is in the same category as the Cappies.

The Cappies seem to be the only power that hasn't collapsed in on itself, yet.  The greater and greater alienation of the Canopians may come back to bite them if Canopus formally aligns against Sian with Andurien's help.  That's my pereference as an Andurien sympathhizer, but unlikely.  The Fed Suns really haven't gotten it half as bad as anyone else, but Caleb's insanity is bound to get them into trouble eventually.  I'll be curious to see if he ends up getting the Suns into trouble with the Dragon the Cappies.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Nanaki

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2011, 13:51:05 »
that can't be invaded.

That is the key phrase. Name me any other faction with the ability to warp time and space and make themselves impossible to be invaded. Sure, the Republic's fortress is not very big, but honestly, does it have to be? Ask yourself. What would you rather have: Fourty worlds that cannot be invaded by any means, or 400 worlds that can be invaded. I would rather have the fourty, because that would be fourty worlds that are perfectly safe, that I can build a powerful and extensive industry, R&D facilities, and economy within without the enemy being able to breach its defenses. This gives me the necessary power and economy to raid my enemy's facilities and invade their worlds, expanding my powerbase while my enemy can do -nothing- to strike back at me. Infact, if the ending of Surrender your Dreams is followed, this is -exactly- what the Republic does in the future... and it is going to suck when the successor states and clans that possess territory around Terra are going to get attacked and rolled by an enemy they cannot fight back against because the writers saw fit to give the Republic a superweapon that can only be countered by deus ex machina.

This is why the Republic is still a first rate power. Despite all their losses against the Successor States and Clans, those losses are irrellevant because the Republic possesses a superweapon that inevitably reverses the tables.

The Cappies seem to be the only power that hasn't collapsed in on itself, yet.

Well, The Combine collapsed on itself during the Jihad and the Black Dragons/Warlords has pretty much stopped them from making any progress in recovery. With insult to injury, it looks like the Black Dragons have actually succeeded in a coup de tat, which very likely will mean a civil war as the Warlord of New Samarkand will move to crush his opponents and unify the Combine under his leadership.

The Federated Suns has been pretty stable during and after the Jihad. They have their rogue nobles, but mostly the rogue nobles attack enemy states, not eachother. Their biggest weakness is Caleb,  but while things are almost inevitably bound for the pooper for them because of Caleb, it has not reached that point just yet.

The Lyrans were actually doing really well until their latest leaders made some collossal mistakes that handed their realm to the Wolves and Falcons on a silver platter. They are really in a bad spot, and I think things are so volatile in that region that almost anything could happen.

The Free Worlds League is probably the most intriguing. They are quite officially the Battletech  chew toy, they spent a chunk of their history being irrellevant (3025-3036), another chunk being a Blakist/Comstar catspaw (3036-3069), and the remaining chunk of it dead (3069-3139). So I think their ascendancy is a bit overdue. Despite being attacked by the Wolves and Lyrans the Free Worlds League had managed to stay together, and have been slowly regathering most of the component states back together. Despite their ascendancy, though, they still have a long way to go before they can be considered a first-rate or even second-rate power.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2011, 14:03:03 by Nanaki »

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #40 on: 28 March 2011, 08:41:01 »
*quietly observes the discussion while tapping controls on a small noteputer*

Oh, don't mind me... Just a helping hand looking for ways to be of assistance...  8)
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #41 on: 31 March 2011, 17:49:10 »
Greetings fellow samurais. I have returned and I'm happy to see that flame of the Dragon is still strong. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 01 April 2011, 12:52:54 »
That was enlightening. Wonderful, another internecine war. I can't believe they killed off Vincent Kurita.

Clinically crazy eldest son? Great, and that guy from the cartoons' grandson is the new Coordinator/puppet.

Why am i reading 'crazy eldest son' and thinking 'Jinjiro Kurita'?

Also does anyone know if the Legions of Vega survive into the dark age?

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #43 on: 01 April 2011, 13:07:32 »
Also does anyone know if the Legions of Vega survive into the dark age?

Yes. At least, there's a 7th LoV.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 01 April 2011, 13:14:35 »
Thanks RB.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 02 April 2011, 13:16:38 »
I was wondering what were typical enemy mechs that DCMS might had captured during Successor Wars and War of 3039?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 02 April 2011, 13:28:05 »
Anything common to the AFFS & LCAF should be available in limited numbers.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 02 April 2011, 13:40:02 »
Thanks. Thats nice selection from mechs in new boxed as it has so many AFFS mechs in it and alos some LCAF. Its good thing becouse among mechs in that box only 6 are onces that we use regulary.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #48 on: 02 April 2011, 13:40:59 »
I wonder if the 2nd Legion of Vega survive to the dark age.
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #49 on: 02 April 2011, 21:50:26 »
I wonder if the 2nd Legion of Vega survive to the dark age.

They apparently made it through the Jihad.

However, Vega is ceeded to the Republic of the Sphere and then taken by Clan Ghost Bear's Omega Galaxy, so the Legions should probably be renamed.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 03 April 2011, 04:37:44 »
As roosterboy says on page 3 of the thread, there is a 7th Legion of Vega around in the dark age.

I'm hoping they are back to being the Penal Units they were originally created to be.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
« Reply #51 on: 24 April 2011, 02:45:40 »
I was wondering, in what era(s) do you guys play in with your Kuritans? And why?

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 24 April 2011, 19:07:04 »
I typically play in the 3025-3039 era. I've played in the modern 3050-3067 era in a few campaigns, but I revert to the late Succession Wars era most of the time.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #53 on: 24 April 2011, 19:14:34 »
My opinion is that House Kurita is most fun to play in 3025 and grows progressively less fun with each iteration of the game.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 25 April 2011, 03:12:16 »
My opinion is that House Kurita is most fun to play in 3025 and grows progressively less fun with each iteration of the game.

True, hopefully as we get fully into the dark age timeline this well be addressed.

Darthvegeta800

• Warrant Officer
  • "Loyalty is it's own reward!"
« Reply #55 on: 25 April 2011, 03:14:54 »

I agree with that sentiment both gameplay and rp wise.

The constantly returning Black Dragon routine, the diminishment of traditionalism and the occassional bout of 'kamikaze' are regretful.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 03:23:42 by Darthvegeta800 »

MY MAIN FACTIONS:
Draconis Combine: Fifth Sword of Light
Clan Jade Falcon: Gamma Galaxy
Clan Ice Hellion: Alpha Galaxy

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 26 April 2011, 04:25:28 »
I prefer War of 3039 as I view it as high point of DCMS.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #57 on: 26 April 2011, 04:57:27 »
I have to agree with the end of 3rd SW to just before Clan Invasion being the most 'fun' time to play Kurita, and the closer to Clan invasion things get, the less fun it actually gets.

And past initial invasion and into the FCCW and Jihad, things get downright annoying and dreadful with how dried and dry things get. Dark age had potential for refreshing things up, but then it gets the 'megaloarmyitis' again.

The reason I came to BT and what interests me most is the small units and even lone mechwarriors with the funny stuff, which seems to be on the current official stomp list...
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #58 on: 26 April 2011, 14:49:04 »
I actually like playing the clan invasion and the Jihad era just because of the differences in technology between CSJ and the DCMS.  Jihad is fun because there are so many good DC designs at that point, plenty of bad ones too, but good ones i can use.  Plus, by the mid point of the Jihad DC combined arms gets better with the infusion of Hiryos, field gun infantry and .  Good stuff.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Black Mist

• Sergeant
  • This IS the 'Nicer' side of the Confederation.
« Reply #59 on: 05 May 2011, 10:42:20 »
Hey!
I am new to the boards,and(as you can see from the icon) the Dragon is one of my factions.One question though,what made each of you like the Combine?(personally it was the cool Japanese cultural aspects......and Grand Dragons I like Grand Dragons!)
When life gives you lemons:
(1)you sell the juice
(2)use that money to hire a lawyer
(3)suit the the person that dumped all those stupid lemons on you for all they are worth!