Author Topic: Georg von Trapp class Dreadnought Submarine  (Read 4708 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Georg von Trapp class Dreadnought Submarine
« on: 11 July 2017, 16:00:43 »
Georg von Trapp class Dreadnought Submarine
Code: [Select]
Type: Georg von Trapp class Dreadnought Submarine
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Movement Type: Naval (Large, Template E)
Mass: 100,000 tons

Equipment                               Mass
Chassis:                                36,352.80
Engine: Fusion                          23,850.00
    Cruise MP:  7
    Flank MP:   11
Heat Sinks: 472                         472.00
Power Amplifiers:                       0.00
Fuel:                                   0.00
Turrets:                                289.70             

Armor Factor (Vehicular Stealth): 5,089     318.063     
                Internal    Armor
                Structure   Value
Front           80      463
Front R/L Side  80      462/462
Rear R/L Side   80      462/462
Rear            80      463
Turret (T1)     80      463
Turret (T2)     80      463
Turret (T3)     80      463
Turret (T5)     80      463
Turret (T9)     80      463

Weapons and Equipment   Location            Mass
4 Cruise Missile 120    Front               540.00
1 LAMS                  Front               1.50
3 SCL-3s                Turret 1            750.00
32 Arrow IV Launchers   Turret 2            480.00
2 LRM 20 (IS)           Turret 2            20.00
40 Plasma Cannons       Turret 3            120.00
1 Helipad               Hex 4               500.00
4 LRT 20 (IS)           Right Sponson       40.000
4 Laser RISC Hyper      Right Sponson       32.000
1 LAMS (IS)             Right Sponson       1.50
4 LRT 20 (IS)           Left Sponson        40.000
4 Laser RISC Hyper      Left Sponson        32.000
1 LAMS (IS)             Left Sponson        1.50
3 SCL-3s                Turret 5            750.00
Flight Deck             Hexes 6, 7, & 8     1,500.00
3 SCL-3s                Turret 9            750.00
1 LAMS                  Rear                1.50
Advanced Fire Control   Body                355.40
Comms Equipment         Body                15.00
Mobile HPG              Body                50.00
Angel ECM               Body                2.00
Bloodhound Active Probe Body                2.00
Docking Thrusters       Body                2000.00

Ammo                                        Mass
Cruise Missile 120 Ammo (40 Missiles)       2,400.00
Arrow IV (IS) Ammo      (800 Rounds)        160.00
LRM 20 (IS) Mine Clearance Ammo (100 Salvos)    20.00
Plasma Cannon Ammo      (4000 rounds)       400.00
LRT 20 (IS) Ammo        (400 Salvos)        80.00

Crew: 939 Total                             6,573.00
        23 Crew-2nd Class Quarters
        646 Gunners/Other-2nd Class Quarters
        270 Bay Personnel-2nd Class Quarters
        150 Maritime Escape Pods            1,050.00
        10 Theatre MASH bay                 12.50
        6 Field Kitchens                    18.00

Cargo:
    50 Fighter Bays 5 Doors                 7,500.00
    10 Light Vehicle Bays 2 Doors           500.00
    20 4-Man Battle Armor Bays 1 Door       160.00
    11,835.538 tons standard 1 Door         11,835.538
    4 Lift Hoists                           12.00

Notes:
Features Armored, Omni, Submersible, and Tractor (Naval) Chassis Modifications

Design Quirks: Narrow/Low Profile, Easy to Maintain, Searchlights. Improved Sensors, and Poor Performance
Named for a famed and decorated Austrian Submarine commander. Built in the late republic era by the Federated Suns to help defend the few remaining undersea bases against the Capellans and Combine aggression. Republic Engineers aided in the design, not only wanting the Federated Suns to be able to hold the line in their wars, but wishing to employ the design themselves as well.
Partially inspired by the Word of Blake's Wyrm submersible Fortresses and the Lyran Jormungands, and even the Draconis Combine's own Triton Missile Submarines.

The Georg von Trapp has several components to it's arsenal. Designated engagement bands. The first band of engagement is it's aerospace fighters, capable of intercepting foes well before they reach the atmosphere. The second engagement occurs when an enemy enters range of the three trios of Subcapital Lasers, again prior to entering the atmosphere. Shortly after the enemy hits the atmosphere they enter the third engagement band, which is the Arrow IV flak barrage from over thirty tubes.

Closer in the VTOL and WiGEs carried by the Georg von Trapp engage in the fourth engagement band. Close in the last engagement band consisting of a withering array of plasma cannons opens up and drives what remains of an enemy force out of control even if it survives the barrage.

For defensive measures the vessel uses a quartet of Laser Anti-Missile Systems, and also uses a pair of LRM launchers with mine clearance missiles. A contingent of 100 battle Armored marines both protect the ship and are prepared to conduct sorties against enemy incursion. Thick plates of vehicular stealth armor are layered to protect the ship and make it difficult for enemies to return fire on it.

Capable of submerging, it can also engage foes underwater with sponson mounted Long Range Torpedoes and Hyper Lasers. Coupled with it's fusion engines that can propel at over 110 kph, even submerged makes such a massive ship difficult to kill.

It can support land operations with close shore support from the Arrow IV. For further inland it has a quartet of massive cruise missile launchers capable of devastating anything struck.

It also carries over ten thousand tons of cargo. This combined with the completely modular design of the omni-technology used in the vessel's construction allows it to be customized easily for the world it is built on, and adapt to the changing situation on a world. Intended to operate not only as a base of operations but be capable of gorilla operations on a world even after it falls to the enemy. To further support this, the Georg von Trapp class was built with a reinforced structure capable of operating as a naval tractor. Even more the lift hoists built into the design allow it to haul an astounding two hundred thousand tons. This allows it to conduct salvage operations on any enemy warships that might fall to it, further cementing it as a king of the oceans.

Variants
Rumor has it that in order to finance construction of these behemoths, the First Prince also sold the design to Clan Diamond Shark. Rumor further states that there are on a few worlds in the Clan Protectorate, vessels greatly matching the description of the Georg von Trapp class, and it stands to reason were it built by the while clan foxes, they would first upgrade it with clan technology. While that is just a rumor, the omni-technology in the design would make such a practice trivial to do if one had access to the clan tech components.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
Re: Georg von Trapp class Dreadnought Submarine
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 01:20:24 »
Reading through it while dealing with your great support sheet.... this thing is really a "Dreadnought" - although wouldn't be some SC Missiles be a better weapon to deal with foes that get into Low Orbit?
Because hands down in the combat of the 32st century some PWS that provide ortillery might me a common sight. Not to forget that SC does not deal so much collateral damage on a miss, so the inhibition to use orbital weapons is smaller.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2017, 01:25:29 »
Yeah that's a lot of firepower and speed 100,000 on a 7/11 :o
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2017, 17:01:19 »
although wouldn't be some SC Missiles be a better weapon to deal with foes that get into Low Orbit?

Because hands down in the combat of the 32st century some PWS that provide ortillery might me a common sight. Not to forget that SC does not deal so much collateral damage on a miss, so the inhibition to use orbital weapons is smaller.

I had considered it, but decided against it for a few reasons. Keeping a supply of SC missiles on hand would make it far more difficult to keep this supplied. The subcapital launchers take up a lot more space as well, and I don't think I could actually get nearly as many on this.

I had considered using a smaller number of subcapital launchers, two things held me back, I wanted it to be able to engage a large number of targets simultaneously, and I wanted it to be accurate. I don't think subcapital weapons are as easy to hit with as artillery flak. Further, Arrow IV launchers are a lot more versatile. They can be used to support ground forces within their reach, and when paired with TAG, can provide pinpoint fire on a target. They can also be loaded with a lot of other ammo types, and while they are there mainly for anit-air duties, engaging enemy ships with Arrow IV inferno rounds will wreck whole surface fleets in short order.

I also considered Subcapital Missiles rather than cruise missiles, however, when i did the math, cruise missiles seemed to have a longer range (a lot longer) than surface fired subcapital missiles... and the cruise missile 120 hits harder than any subcapital missile does. Sure the cruise missiles can't fire into orbit, but there is enough AMS in aerospace now that subcapital missiles wouldn't be terribly effective as anti ship weapons unless they are fired en masse in sustained barrages that overwhelm the MAS defenses... or at least not as effective as I would like. Instead the ship relies on sub-capital lasers for those needs.

Subcapital lasers can use AA mode to engage airborne enemies, so have the range, accuracy, and punch to give even pocket warships a bloody nose. When combined with the ability to submerge, it becomes a hit and run game that can cause problems for any pocket warship trying to deal with it. Especially with this ship's relatively high speed (I know it isn't fast compared to aircraft, but it is fast for an aircraft's target) and the maneuvering options the docking thrusters give it, and even the LAMS systems defending it, it can make a PWS's day go badly (capital/subcapital missiles and cannon fire can be dodged, the lasers not nearly so much).

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 19:59:22 »
All those missiles launching....that's the sound of music... :D

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 20:28:14 »
All those missiles launching....that's the sound of music... :D

Yup... I was amused when I went searching for famous naval commanders and ran across him... his actual story is kind of impressive, even before the events in the movie.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2017, 21:06:58 »
Holy crap, that's heavily gunned to be carrying that much armor and going so stoopid fast.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register