Author Topic: What Are We Listening To: This List Goes Up To Eleven!  (Read 34763 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: What Are We Listening To: This List Goes Up To Eleven!
« Reply #930 on: 08 May 2024, 19:47:50 »
Metallica after the Black Album is just angsty James whining about how miserable he is. Before that, he wrote songs with meaning. Since 1996, it's all been "Argh! Another generic song about a bad day!"
isnt mettalica gone? i mean dead burried and most members pushing daisies? heck even classic rock radio stations are not playing any of their stuff...oth queen led zeppelin rolling stones elton john rod steward joan jett janis joplin are always on

Nope.  Only one fatality for Metallica.  Former bassist Cliff Burton.  Everyone else is alive and are living in quite good circumstances.

Young, poor musician James was hungry and still understood the generation he was growing up in.  He made excellent music until he became a fat cat with less connection to the average listener each year.

In all this time there are only two songs they made that I actually do like.  Unforgiven Too is pretty good actually.  Devil's Dance has a nice heavy groove.  Other than that... 
« Last Edit: 09 May 2024, 02:37:45 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #931 on: 08 May 2024, 23:52:14 »
Did Metallica ever get that much radio play?  I don't think it did in my area, at least. I think I only ever hear them on satellite radio stations that frankly play a lot of artists that really shouldn't get any play at all.

Theme From Rocky XIII (The Rye Or The Kaiser): Weird Al Yankovic
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #932 on: 09 May 2024, 01:40:37 »
There's a lot of stations that did Mandatory Metallica.

Anyway. Reliqa, "Mr. Magic"
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #933 on: 09 May 2024, 06:13:02 »
Lacuna Coil - Anima nera
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #934 on: 09 May 2024, 08:03:29 »
The Longest Johns - Ashes

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #935 on: 09 May 2024, 17:34:18 »
There's a lot of stations that did Mandatory Metallica.

Might not have been as much of a thing in my area, the radio stations were and still are dominated by Country, Christian, and Country Christian.

Edison's Medicine- Tesla.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #936 on: 09 May 2024, 17:56:28 »
Yeah, and by contrast I lived in the suburbs north of Detroit most of the time.  Metallica was getting so much play, daily and nightly.  And I don't mind hearing a lot of the classics.  it was like that until about 2006  or 07 pretty much.  15 years of heavy rotation.

Anyway, I heard Justice again the other night on Ozzy's Boneyard.  Satellite radio is were it's at.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #937 on: 09 May 2024, 18:12:59 »
Enter Sandman was the only Metallica song I ever really liked, and that was because there was a comic book store owned by a metalhead in my town when I was a teenager and Enter Sandman was basically the store's theme song because it was called Neverland.

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #938 on: 10 May 2024, 02:11:32 »
At some point on my radio channel both Enter sandman and Nothing else matters were in the highest rotation so they played every 30mins or so.
I got somewhat fed up with both of those tracks, and turned from enjoying them to absolutely loathing them  :sad:

Chris Hülsbeck (or Huelsbeck) - Hashtags
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #939 on: 10 May 2024, 06:03:00 »
Sabaton - Wolfpack
Nightwish - Nemo

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #940 on: 10 May 2024, 08:30:57 »
At some point on my radio channel both Enter sandman and Nothing else matters were in the highest rotation so they played every 30mins or so.
I got somewhat fed up with both of those tracks, and turned from enjoying them to absolutely loathing them  :sad:

My local corporate classic rock channels did that to me with every single one of the fifty or so songs in their rotation. I actually play a game where I flip through the three stations and see if I can identify the three songs playing in less than five seconds. Usually it's something like: 1 - commercials. 2 - In the Air Tonight 3 - commercials. I pretty much permanently turned them all off last year, and just call up something on Youtube through my phone.

And lately I've been on a Feurschwanz kick. Besides Ding, I've added Shubsetanz and their cover of Warriors of the World to my rotation. It's hard to do Manowar better than Manowar, but they come close. The difference is that Feurschwanz understand that they are ridiculous and embrace the ridiculousness, where as Manowar are just clueless about it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #941 on: 10 May 2024, 09:07:06 »
ok am i only one that seems to that every classic rock streaming channel or corp radio plays eagles hotel california at least 4 times minimum through out the day? for past 20 years?
i frankly because of that song grew to not hate but to despise that song and eagles and i used to enjoy them.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #942 on: Today at 02:03:29 »
There was a local classic 70s & 80s rock station in my area about 20 years ago that played Bohemian Rhapsody a minimum of twice an hour.  I still get twitchy whenever I hear Queen.  I quit listening to the station in 2008 when the DJ decided to start telling some seriously racist "jokes" on air.

But yeah, Hotel California is an overplayed song, but not as much as Lyin' Eyes is.

Anyway, listening to Girl's Talk by Hanabie.  As usual, I have absolutely no idea what it's about but it sounds cool.

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #943 on: Today at 02:30:40 »
Reading this thread prompted me to look into how radio licensing, royalties, and advertisement pressures all work together: the repetitive, hits-based playlists they spin are the logical result of their environment.  Repeatable and recognizable tracks take center stage, and since classic rock seems to be America's favorite genre, it takes the mediocraty treatment even harder.  I mean, I still pretend radio isn't a thing and just listen to full albums off my walkman. 

Track of the day: Fort Knox -- Goldfish.  Track of the hour: Battle Flag -- Lo Fi Allstars feat. Pigeonhed.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #944 on: Today at 02:48:03 »

Chris Hülsbeck (or Huelsbeck) - Hashtags

I hear you.  Nothing Else Matters was on 3 different stations at the same time a couple times during my teens and early 20's.

What makes up for it is something like Ozzy's Boneyard where out of nowhere you'll hear "Orion", or "Creeping Death", or Justice, like we were just saying.  I can jam out to Lepper Messiah anytime it's on.  Or The Thing That Should Not Be.

God Saved the Queen ~ The Exploited.  This song is not a cover of the Sex Pistols.  It's its own kind of Scottish hardcore punk thing.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:52:33 by rebs »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #945 on: Today at 03:01:43 »
"Black No. 1" - Type O Negative
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

NightSarge

• Lieutenant
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #946 on: Today at 06:19:41 »
Leaves Eyes - Jomsborg
Nightwish - Nemo

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #947 on: Today at 08:29:22 »
"Black No. 1" - Type O Negative

I was listening to that the other night. I still lover Peter Steele's deep voice.

Speaking of, Youtube recommended me a video of some tiktok bass singers doing a cover of Hoist the Colors, the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Holy crap is that good!

Register