Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
It's not always about strict weight, but often about dimensional "weight." If a package doesn't fit a certain size, it gets expensive fast, and that's up to the shipping company (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever).

Definitely true, but you can put a lot of force packs in a box that's less than or equal to 165" length and girth combined with the longest side no more than 108".

UPS only charges extra if it's bigger than that and there's no reason for them to be trying to put everything into 1 giant box for bigger orders.
Off Topic / Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Last post by rebs on 09 May 2024, 17:07:34 »
Florida - Boston is a cool new rivalry for a new era.  They just can't stand each other.
BattleMechs / Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Last post by HABeas2 on 09 May 2024, 17:00:28 »
And finally...

The Tankus class. (I cheated here, as I had only four named models on this list; instead, I added a "fifth" in the form of Luciora's other Shockwave expy using a Highlander Mech mode.)

- Herb
BattleMechs / Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Last post by HABeas2 on 09 May 2024, 16:58:40 »
This (and the next post) may be my last batch of these images for a while, since it now covers all the models covered in TRO: Syberia that had five or more named units with official Transformers counterparts.

So...

Here ya goes!

So far, multi-generational adaptation to 0g appears to be a non-starter.  That environment really screws with gestation.  In space station experiments, rodent embryos don’t implant in the uterine wall, blastulas/gastrulas don’t unfold correctly, and defects like brain voids appear if gestation gets that far.  Given that all Earth life evolved in a 1g environment, it’s not surprising that a 1g signal is important to various gestational processes.  (There’s also experiments showing that infant rodents don’t develop normally in a 0g environment, either.)

It’s unclear yet if a low-g environment, like 0.17g at the Moon or 0.38g at Mars, provides enough of a signal to keep mammalian gestation on track.  We just have not run the experiments in those environments.  But I’m doubtful.  Given our evolutionary history, I would guess that either a near-1g planet (like Venus at 0.9g) or a large centrifugal space station that approaches 1g would be needed for safe gestation in space.

The other roadblock is cosmic radiation, exposure to which over multiple years will induce cancers and shorten lifetimes by decades.  Unless settlers are comfortable condemning themselves and future generations to lives underground, a thick atmosphere is required to avoid the omnipresent irradiation.  This again points away from smaller bodies like the Moon and Mars and more towards Venus- and Earth-sized planets.  Or, again, large, well-shielded space stations.

FWIW...
Well done.

Those pictures make anyone else thirsty?
Alpha Strike / Command Star SPA Bonus Ability
« Last post by MarauderD on 09 May 2024, 16:41:19 »
Am I reading this right?

AS:CE 6th Ed, pp 120.  Command Lance:  Half the units in this formation (round up) get a special ability.  So in a Command Star, half of the units (2.5) rounds up to 3.  So you get a Commander unit with Tactical Genius, and 3!!! other units get to pick their special ability?

For some reason, 3 units with Combat Intuition (for example) seems really strong compared to a Command Lance where only 2 units would have the special ability.
 Its unbelievable hat Andrew Dice Clay could help that song.
I'm now getting charged ~$108+VAT for shipping ~$1200 of product, and I'm good with that.

I'm still not happy about being charged VAT on the full value of the order when books are zero-rated in the UK, so I've messaged them to ask for the VAT to be recalculated correctly. It's only $25 difference, but that still matters.
Off Topic / Re: My running days are over
« Last post by Prospernia on 09 May 2024, 15:58:26 »
Try table-top air-hockey: you're not moving your legs.

Or rowing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Register