Author Topic: When it all goes to hell...  (Read 6884 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
When it all goes to hell...
« on: 17 July 2019, 10:10:07 »
We've all been there in our Battletech career. We had that moment- you know the one. Everything was going well, you were in control of the situation, and then it all came apart- and you knew that the fight was ruined for you. You even know the moment everything changed- the gauss shot missed, the artillery scattered back on you, your Blackjack slipped on pavement, your enemy rolled a '12' on that wild ER large laser shot... and everything changed.

But hey, we all love a story about failure, don't we? So let's yuk it up and let those stories out. Tell us your worst 'uh oh' moments, let us revel in your bad day- and know that we've all had our own, we're sharing them too!

Obviously, I'll go first (and probably have more as we go).

The players, as a merc company, were hired to find a pilfered nuclear weapon, hidden in a seaport's warehouses somewhere. The weapon was mated to a ballistic missile (a CAV 'Whisper' Scud launcher was used as the miniature), and Comstar wanted it back- no matter how bloody things got. Who stole it, no one knew- yet. To find the weapon, the players had to have a Mech stand in base contact with a warehouse for four turns (two if it had a Beagle probe, which only one did)- at the end of the scan, the players would be told what the warehouse contained. Some were empty. Some had assorted goods stored in them. One had a Scud launcher. And others had defending units that would pop out and immediately engage the scanning unit. This could range from dock security (rifle infantry) to light vehicles to a Brigand-class Battlemech.

...oh, and one had a Demolisher II tank.

So our intrepid merc saunters up in his MAD-5D Marauder, a Mech that as the GM I'd wanted dead for a while. He made a beeline for the nearest warehouse, and started his scan. I checked my inventory sheet to see what was in that particular building- oh, it's the Tank-O-Death. So I'll be firing on him at a range of two hexes as soon as it reveals itself. This should be fun!

The tank popped out the door (I presume with a Kool-Aid Man 'OH YEAH'), and let go with all four weapons. The Marauder was immobile. The tank was treated as having cruised to leave the building. It was short range, no intervening terrain, and a 3 for gunners. This was going to be ugly.

It was.

The LB-20X, firing slug shot, went wide. The Ultra AC/20 jammed. The machine guns both pinged off the legs near-harmlessly. I couldn't believe it- the ace in the hole to make life interesting on the players had essentially wasted its best chance at causing real damage. The players, understandably, made damned sure that every unit that could help remove the Demolisher from the field did so- since this was the old BMR rules, an inferno-packing Kintaro was plenty enough to do the job. With the big gun gone, the remaining forces weren't able to do much more than slow the search down a bit, and the Scud was soon found and recaptured. (It was sabotaged by the thieves to go off later, but that's a story for another day).

To this day it's one of the biggest wastes of a turn I've ever seen in a game- Battletech or otherwise. What a mess.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: When it all goes to hell...
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 10:21:53 »
I was playing the first scenario from the House Arano sourcebook on Megamek the other week.  I was playing Rampart company, and was doing well - had downed one of the enemy mechs while taking no major damage.  And then one turn I misjudged my moves, wound up with enemy mechs adjacent to three of mine, and they subsequently killed all three with lucky hits.

Daaaaaaang.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 10:29:24 »
I hosted a mass online MegaMek game once, for some online friends.

I was commanding a Locust, and was moving into an urban area.  Figuring "it'll never happen", I ran my bug at nearly-full speed, then tried to take a corner on concrete.

Fail the PSR.  Fall.  Skid.  Exit the map while on said skid.

Eliminated on round two. X_x
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2019, 10:39:05 »
oh man where to start...

1) light mech fails a psr on pavement. skids into a tall building. damages building. cf drops below what can support the Catapult on the roof. catapult falls. wait, does this building have basements? yup! TWO! light mech falls into the giant hole, self-crits gyro. accidental DFA time! catapult crushes light mech's CT, loses leg.

2) that time i failed a 4+ ammo explosion check in turn 3 and blew up my rifleman

3) playing as gm/opfor in a star league campaign where the player was assaulting a city in search of records at the enemy HQ. deploys in a way that mucks up my deployment. vehicle company scrambles toward the other side of the map. three out of four of the demon tanks failed easy skid checks and immobilized themselves crashing into buildings. a suddenly outgunned opfor gets routed

4) i was forced to deploy my forces on a 4'x6' map to protect a city (seriously, why does this keep happening?). my opponent got to drop his entire assault company in one corner of the map. bad times ensued

5) that one time my nightstar took twelve or thirteen gauss rounds in one turn. it actually survived into the next turn.

6) insert any number of times i lost a unit due to my chronic inability to count correctly

7) Big Bad of a Jihad campaign I ran was fleeing. Game was about to be called due to time and that he had moved under the cover of an assault lance that showed up turn 12 to cover his retreat. player takes one final shot - punches through a torso and finds an ammo bin. XL engine.

8) in a large team game I jumped my wounded panther behind a building to cool down. opposing player runs his archer through the building and punches my already damaged head off

9) I had set up this epic chase scenario near the end of the first chaos campaign i ran. full of surprises. hidden units. fun surprises. it tooks hours to plan and an hour to set up. player beheads the chase mech in turn 3 with 11s on a gauss shot. 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2019, 10:59:28 »
Gen-con 2016 I'm helping run bootcamp (learn to play).

The mechs are a Jenner and Panther.

Due to being short 1 player, I'm running the Panther and the player is in the Jenner. The first turn, we get to shooting. I fire my PPC... and hit. Normally this is a good thing. Where do I hit?  The head.

Slight issue, the stock Jenner only has 7 armor points in the head. Killed on the first turn.  Ok, so I reroll to somewhere else so I don't kill this person on turn 1.

Turn 4, the last one of the learn to play, the final shot of the match, I fire that PPC and hit.... head.  I don't think that player came back. :(
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2019, 11:13:58 »
I have a few, and they are all very similar:

1st - Playing in a campaign, and made a scenario where the players could 'hot'swap' their damaged mechs for some heavier, undamaged mechs. Player gets his mangled mech up to an atlas...one turn to exit/enter and then power up (didn;t want to take tooo long doing this). First shot from the baddies to this mech, Guass round to the head!

2nd - Friend running a campaign, can't remember the mission but we were still pretty light, so at the start of the session he informs us another mech pilot is coming in to give us some added extra firepower in form of an Awesome...first round, first shot HEAD by a Guass round

3rd - Another campaign, players are doing TOTAL CHAOS, can't remember the mission, but the 'elitest' of the WoB mechs, 1st round - Shot to the head - not enough to destroy, but enough for a Crit roll. 2 Crits! Both Sensors!

Hmmm....seeing a pattern here for 1st Round Head shots.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2019, 11:28:54 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2019, 11:23:09 »
No matter how sucky your position, there is always hope of a couple 12s. It's a feature, not a flaw.

The time my mint executioner took two arrow iv to the side torso. Seriously, who put more armor on the arms than the side torso?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2019, 12:12:48 »
Does being in a BTech rpg campaign where our GM has us roll to see if we successfully seduce a date and then again for our “performance” afterwards, and getting boxcars on the former but snake-eyes on the latter count?

:-[ xp

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2019, 12:16:46 »
it does  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2019, 12:32:03 »
JHB's new chatty topic gets totally ignored at the Kickstarter goes live . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2019, 12:37:06 »
To be fair, I think everything short of the forums spontaneously exploding would be ignored in favor of that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2019, 13:21:55 »
Total Chaos Campaign generic mission.
Because of weather, the mission has so many to-hit modifiers, plus jumping, my forces are nearly impossible to hit.

Meanwhile, all I absolutely have to do is scan the enemy and survive a certain amount of time and escape.

First turn, King Crab has LOS on my Griffin. After all modifiers have been added up, King Crab needs boxcars to hit with his Gauss Rifles.

Needless to say, between eating two Gauss Slugs and rarely winning initiative, I was so on the defensive with that Griffin, that I was never able to complete my scan objective.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2019, 13:53:26 »
I mentioned this in another thread, but I was driving a defending Stalker parked in Heavy Woods.  An enemy Grasshopper runs up, and I need 5's to hit with the kitchen sink (less the LRMs, of course).  I hit that lucky bastard with one Large Laser and one Medium.  In return?  He gets a TAC, and finds an ammo bin, instantly reversing the battlefield situation completely.  C'est la vie de BT!  :P

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2019, 15:08:55 »
  My group was playing out a Clan vs IS scenario where the forces were given BP to spend on pilots and mechs; One of the players submitted his choice, which literally cost almost a quarter of the BP available for 6 players. He was adamant about his choice, and pretty much said that his mech with its elite pilot would be the key to victory. I ran it past the other players and they had no problem with it and I settled for a pair of Spiders, even though we were facing a pair of kids we called the "Masakari Brothers", who only played Clan, only used Masakaris with elite pilots, and heavily depended on head capping.

As I expected, the elite IS pilot, in his game-winning mech was headcapped on the first turn, without even hitting a target. So much "I told you so"...

Yeah, we lost but my Spiders managed to curbstomp one Masakari with a series of physical attacks, keeping him on the ground, unable to attack but unable to kill him before the game was called.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2019, 15:21:49 »

Yeah, we lost but my Spiders managed to curbstomp one Masakari with a series of physical attacks, keeping him on the ground, unable to attack but unable to kill him before the game was called.

and my local group wonder why I like spiders, despite the cain I regularly raise with he back-lines...

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2019, 15:22:04 »
As a player to myself:  Clan Invasion scenario in an urban setting.  I sprint my Dasher (really good pilot) down a street, needing to make one turn on pavement to get behind an opposing 'Mech.  I flub the roll.  I skid past the target (lovely mental picture), stripping armor as I go.  At the end of the street is a lake.  During the skid, the torso loses all armor.  Into the lake I go.  Multiple automatic breaches.  Torso floods.  'Mech dead.  Pilot trapped in his cockpit until post-battle salvage operations.

As a GM to a player:  I had one player in a merc campaign who was totally focused on getting the biggest and baddest 'Mechs with long-range weaponry, and never risking his stuff.  He would let the other guys take the risks.  This went on for months, maybe over a year, and he was into the assault range for most of his lance, but still refused to take risks.  The other guys just put up with it.

Honestly not targeting him, I set up a scenario with hidden forces at randomly determined spots on the map, with randomly determined turns to emerge from the bordering bodies of water.  He backed his LRM boats(I think it was something like customized Stalker, Archer, Cyclops, Atlas) right up to one of the hidden groups, playing it cautious as ever.  Turn comes up for that group's deployment.  It's an assault lance.  He's facing the wrong way, and stationary.  It was carnage.  A 'Mech dead.  The rest crippled.  He quit the campaign at the end of the turn (he had plenty of funds to stay in), and to this day I bet he thinks I did it intentionally.   

CDT Special Agent #343

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2019, 15:32:41 »
This one i recall best:
My Orion attacks a Hunchback whose pilot got knocked out previously. I fire all weapons, merely disarming (literally) the Hunchback, including a headshot that rolls the small laser.
Of course, an alpha strike with the Orion is not a smart idea, especially with some previous heat. I fail the lowest ammo explosion roll and lose the Orion.
The next round, the Hunchback pilot wakes up, stands, and walks away from the map because he had no weapons left.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2019, 17:53:07 »
Teaching newbies at my college. Two versus two with four Mechs each side. We each get one mech of every class and I explain each (the beginner box) so they have a good ideas of capabilities. I have the other team pick first: Atlas, Catapult, Clint, Jenner. A solid force if they get close... and it’s only two maps laid horizontally. My partner picks the Awesome, JagerMech, Trebuchet, and I pick the Panther: basically the force I would have picked with exception of the JagerMech.

Round one: with needing boxcars to hit my partners Jager hits the Clint with both AC2’s and AC5’s Rolls location to hit, head. Rolls Crits and the cockpit is destroyed. My PPC from the Panther legs the enemy Jenner: blows off the leg. Atlas gets two POC’s from the Awesome and the Trebuchet spreads missiles about the Catapult.

Round two: Jenner gets hit in the head by the Panthers PPC.... JagerMech hits the Catapult in the head with a single AC2, the AC5 crits the CT. Engine Hit. Awesome connects with two of three PPC’s on the Atlas.

Round three: Atlas gets in range to get an extreme range hit with his weapons: needs like 7’s... misses everything. Catapults ammo cooks off after the pilot Alpha’ed (Against my advice!). Panther and Awesome hit with two PPC’s on Atlas: Trebuchet wastes missiles in the Catapult. Jager also wasted a good crit on the Catapult breaching a location.

Round four: they surrender.

Yeah..... their teaching/beginner session went to hell... but they actually enjoyed it. We couldn’t stop laughing.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2019, 19:39:17 »
I kinda feel like Hellbie has teleported here and touched all my dice before my last 3 games.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Andrew_Cluetain

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Sniper Mech?
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2019, 21:38:46 »
There are those days, recently in a Dark Age Campaign, we where trying to get back to our Dropship but had to break through some mediums(8) and we where in high end heavies for the most part (Vulture IV, Warwolf, Sunder, and a Gauntlet)  problem was the first turn of shooting TAC's the Warwolf's gyro and we couldn't hit anything half the time; and it got worse...  Vulture gets the same TAC like turn 2 or 3 and the sunder pilot eventually walks home since he (Gauntlet died to ammo crit) can't out maneuver the remaining 6 or 7 mediums that all want his back...
Remember us Ravens seek the ultmate highground, space.

CSR Beta Galaxy

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2019, 22:11:32 »
I was in a merc campaign running a Penetrator when an enemy Trebuchet opened fire at me from long range.  He gets a hit, my AMS kicks on and swats down a few missiles, dropped the cluster down to 6, IIRC.  So he rolls hit locations.  Five points somewhere, and one point... is a TAC to the center torso.

He crits my AMS ammo: 22 points of damage to a location that has 23 points of structure.  Instead of doing the usual thing and mixing it up with the enemy, my Penetrator spent that game hiding in the back and sniping.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2019, 07:42:44 »
I'll throw another one in. (There's no shortage...)

Tukayyid, battle is Smoke Jaguars vs. Comstar to take Focht's bunker. The Jaguars are pushing hard, but the Com Guards are doing a surprisingly good job (even without Focht's Atlas on the field yet) of holding the bunker. The problem is that their left flank is weakened, and the Jags are pushing hard on that side (courtesy of yours truly) with three Mechs- an Uller, a Ryoken, and a Daishi. The Coms have no answer for the latter, which is slowly but steadily advancing without a care.

Then the Mongoose came.

It occurred during the same turn as a lucky crit knocking the ammo (not the rifle) off the Uller A, neutering that Mech. The Daishi had chased the largest of its opponents on this side of the field- a Shadow Hawk- behind some trees, and was now dealing with two opponents- a Whitworth ahead of it, and a Mongoose that had jogged behind. (I'd been counting on the Uller to keep that situation under control...) Whatever- a Mongoose is a damned good light Mech, but it's a freaking Daishi after all. My rear armor is mint, my limbs have only taken token hits... yeah, the Uller can't really deal with it all that well now, and the Ryoken is busy chasing down that stupid Shaddy, but this is well in-hand.

Then the Mongoose fired its weapons.

The small and one of the mediums both missed, but the two arm-mounted medium lasers? Those didn't miss. The first hit the head- ow. The second then... hit the head, causing a crit, which promptly went to the cockpit.

Ever see The Boondock Saints? It was like that kind of execution. Two guns held to the back of the head (don't try imagining how that works on a Mech shaped like that), pulled the trigger, nothing but gazpacho. Around the long table, word traveled fast on both sides- holy shit, did you see what happened down there, the Jaguar's juggernaut is down, did that Mongoose just headcap an assault Mech, etc.

The Jaguars still won the day, and the Ryoken made life hell on the left flank the rest of the evening, but what ended up as a bloody push up the middle could have been resolved far easier with a left-flank push by that Daishi. Stupid Mongoose...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #22 on: 18 July 2019, 09:51:17 »
One of my most dramatic failures...

In an urban map, my Sirocco decides to be a badass and go all Citytech Cover art, charging straight through a Level 2 Light building(CF 15) to engage a lance on the other side.

Sirocco enters the first hex of the building. Building takes ten damage in the form of a Sirocco-shaped hole just installed in one wall(95 tons/10=9.5, rounded to 10).

Sirocco rolls the required piloting check, succeeds, and takes no damage. Moo hoo ha ha.

Sirocco now rolls to see if the building has a basement. A 3 results in a Depth 1 basement, and the Sirocco takes minor falling damage to the legs and a bit of embarrassment.

With a lightning flash of memory and a growing sense of dread, I skim through the Building section again, and per page 168, the building takes another ten damage due to the Sirocco's fall while inside. This reduces the building's CF to zero, triggering a collapse.

Much laughter is had by everyone at the table(myself included) at my star Mech's misfortune, when I notice the very last sentence on page 176: "If a unit occupies a basement when a building collapses, that unit is destroyed." There aren't any exceptions. xp

My headcanon is that the mech isn't actually destroyed, just trapped. We know mechs are proportionally far weaker than actual humans, so when the mech falls and all the available space gets dulled with rubble, the mech cannot get any leverage with its limbs, and is trapped until someone digs it out.

Moral of the story: If you're playing with random basements, stay the hell out of any building whose CF is 20% or less of your tonnage.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 18 July 2019, 09:52:54 »
... Depth 3 basement? Man, 18 meters underground, why do people in BTU have such basements? Are they hiding secret bases or ComGuards there?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2019, 09:53:59 »
elaborate wine cellars

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2019, 09:54:51 »
... Depth 3 basement? Man, 18 meters underground, why do people in BTU have such basements? Are they hiding secret bases or ComGuards there?

"It's the cops! Quick, Joey, get into the basement and power up that Stalker I ain't goin' back to prison!"
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #26 on: 18 July 2019, 09:55:45 »
Underground parking garage. It's the only way to provide for your employees without having militia Demolishers take up all the good spots.

(And the one in my example was just Depth 1)
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 18 July 2019, 10:00:32 »
Ah, right, i read that "3 result" as depth 3 for some reason.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #28 on: 18 July 2019, 10:09:42 »
"Topic: When it all goes to hell..."  That, in my games, is what is known as "Turn 1".  The rest is usually downhill from there.

Played 3 games in a row against a friend, back in the day.

First game, round 1, his GHR and my TDR are at 21 hexes, and we both need 12's to hit.  No point in me wasting ammo at those odds, right?  He fires his LRM-5, rolls the necessary boxcars to hit, rolls snake-eyes for location, and crits both my gyro and engine on turn 1.  I proceed to fall down, spend the rest of the match attempting to stand, and fail all but once, where I'm promptly put back on the ground permanently.  I think I did about 5-10 points of damage to his 'Mech the entire match.

Second game, his Spider against my Javelin, we both run to close the range, and both end up with 12s to hit (he's got a better movement modifier, but I've got a terrain advantage).  Again, I'm not wasting ammo at 12+, while he shoots at boxcars to hit, gets the hit on the first shot, a TAC to a torso location with ammo, and I'm out of the game before I've taken a shot.

Third game, his Warhammer against my Marauder, he gets a PPC hit to the head of my 'Mech on the opening shot at bad odds, crits the cockpit, and it's game over.  My own return shots are 2 easier, and miss.

Of course, when a friend's Kraken tried crossing a shallow stream on the second turn of a game, failed the piloting roll, fell, and breached the head in the water, that was a bad day too.  Pretty bad when you not only don't get to take a shot, but don't even get to see your opponents.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 18 July 2019, 11:51:33 »
First MO I participated in, so 2nd one Fanpro did, I am playing my Warden Wolves . . . across a mostly open map against a IS force.  We start towards each other, and I keep the movement on my Phantom H down to match the Orion IIC that was running in . . . so it only has a +2 on a design that is supposed to get a +4.  It gets hit by LRMs, want to say a 5 rack, at range 21 . . . needed a 10 or 11 . . . hits with 3 missiles.  Rolls a 2 for location . . . rolls a 12 . . . engine, engine, engine.  Backstabbing speeder gone, leaves me the Orion IIC as my only other mech with IIRC a veh and BA to fill that 5k force.  I think the veh was a Svantovit, it blew later . . . and my Orion IIC could not hit with cERLLs or Gauss before the Gauss got crit.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register