Author Topic: When it all goes to hell...  (Read 6912 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
When it all goes to hell...
« on: 17 July 2019, 10:10:07 »
We've all been there in our Battletech career. We had that moment- you know the one. Everything was going well, you were in control of the situation, and then it all came apart- and you knew that the fight was ruined for you. You even know the moment everything changed- the gauss shot missed, the artillery scattered back on you, your Blackjack slipped on pavement, your enemy rolled a '12' on that wild ER large laser shot... and everything changed.

But hey, we all love a story about failure, don't we? So let's yuk it up and let those stories out. Tell us your worst 'uh oh' moments, let us revel in your bad day- and know that we've all had our own, we're sharing them too!

Obviously, I'll go first (and probably have more as we go).

The players, as a merc company, were hired to find a pilfered nuclear weapon, hidden in a seaport's warehouses somewhere. The weapon was mated to a ballistic missile (a CAV 'Whisper' Scud launcher was used as the miniature), and Comstar wanted it back- no matter how bloody things got. Who stole it, no one knew- yet. To find the weapon, the players had to have a Mech stand in base contact with a warehouse for four turns (two if it had a Beagle probe, which only one did)- at the end of the scan, the players would be told what the warehouse contained. Some were empty. Some had assorted goods stored in them. One had a Scud launcher. And others had defending units that would pop out and immediately engage the scanning unit. This could range from dock security (rifle infantry) to light vehicles to a Brigand-class Battlemech.

...oh, and one had a Demolisher II tank.

So our intrepid merc saunters up in his MAD-5D Marauder, a Mech that as the GM I'd wanted dead for a while. He made a beeline for the nearest warehouse, and started his scan. I checked my inventory sheet to see what was in that particular building- oh, it's the Tank-O-Death. So I'll be firing on him at a range of two hexes as soon as it reveals itself. This should be fun!

The tank popped out the door (I presume with a Kool-Aid Man 'OH YEAH'), and let go with all four weapons. The Marauder was immobile. The tank was treated as having cruised to leave the building. It was short range, no intervening terrain, and a 3 for gunners. This was going to be ugly.

It was.

The LB-20X, firing slug shot, went wide. The Ultra AC/20 jammed. The machine guns both pinged off the legs near-harmlessly. I couldn't believe it- the ace in the hole to make life interesting on the players had essentially wasted its best chance at causing real damage. The players, understandably, made damned sure that every unit that could help remove the Demolisher from the field did so- since this was the old BMR rules, an inferno-packing Kintaro was plenty enough to do the job. With the big gun gone, the remaining forces weren't able to do much more than slow the search down a bit, and the Scud was soon found and recaptured. (It was sabotaged by the thieves to go off later, but that's a story for another day).

To this day it's one of the biggest wastes of a turn I've ever seen in a game- Battletech or otherwise. What a mess.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: When it all goes to hell...
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 10:21:53 »
I was playing the first scenario from the House Arano sourcebook on Megamek the other week.  I was playing Rampart company, and was doing well - had downed one of the enemy mechs while taking no major damage.  And then one turn I misjudged my moves, wound up with enemy mechs adjacent to three of mine, and they subsequently killed all three with lucky hits.

Daaaaaaang.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 10:29:24 »
I hosted a mass online MegaMek game once, for some online friends.

I was commanding a Locust, and was moving into an urban area.  Figuring "it'll never happen", I ran my bug at nearly-full speed, then tried to take a corner on concrete.

Fail the PSR.  Fall.  Skid.  Exit the map while on said skid.

Eliminated on round two. X_x
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2019, 10:39:05 »
oh man where to start...

1) light mech fails a psr on pavement. skids into a tall building. damages building. cf drops below what can support the Catapult on the roof. catapult falls. wait, does this building have basements? yup! TWO! light mech falls into the giant hole, self-crits gyro. accidental DFA time! catapult crushes light mech's CT, loses leg.

2) that time i failed a 4+ ammo explosion check in turn 3 and blew up my rifleman

3) playing as gm/opfor in a star league campaign where the player was assaulting a city in search of records at the enemy HQ. deploys in a way that mucks up my deployment. vehicle company scrambles toward the other side of the map. three out of four of the demon tanks failed easy skid checks and immobilized themselves crashing into buildings. a suddenly outgunned opfor gets routed

4) i was forced to deploy my forces on a 4'x6' map to protect a city (seriously, why does this keep happening?). my opponent got to drop his entire assault company in one corner of the map. bad times ensued

5) that one time my nightstar took twelve or thirteen gauss rounds in one turn. it actually survived into the next turn.

6) insert any number of times i lost a unit due to my chronic inability to count correctly

7) Big Bad of a Jihad campaign I ran was fleeing. Game was about to be called due to time and that he had moved under the cover of an assault lance that showed up turn 12 to cover his retreat. player takes one final shot - punches through a torso and finds an ammo bin. XL engine.

8) in a large team game I jumped my wounded panther behind a building to cool down. opposing player runs his archer through the building and punches my already damaged head off

9) I had set up this epic chase scenario near the end of the first chaos campaign i ran. full of surprises. hidden units. fun surprises. it tooks hours to plan and an hour to set up. player beheads the chase mech in turn 3 with 11s on a gauss shot. 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2019, 10:59:28 »
Gen-con 2016 I'm helping run bootcamp (learn to play).

The mechs are a Jenner and Panther.

Due to being short 1 player, I'm running the Panther and the player is in the Jenner. The first turn, we get to shooting. I fire my PPC... and hit. Normally this is a good thing. Where do I hit?  The head.

Slight issue, the stock Jenner only has 7 armor points in the head. Killed on the first turn.  Ok, so I reroll to somewhere else so I don't kill this person on turn 1.

Turn 4, the last one of the learn to play, the final shot of the match, I fire that PPC and hit.... head.  I don't think that player came back. :(
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2019, 11:13:58 »
I have a few, and they are all very similar:

1st - Playing in a campaign, and made a scenario where the players could 'hot'swap' their damaged mechs for some heavier, undamaged mechs. Player gets his mangled mech up to an atlas...one turn to exit/enter and then power up (didn;t want to take tooo long doing this). First shot from the baddies to this mech, Guass round to the head!

2nd - Friend running a campaign, can't remember the mission but we were still pretty light, so at the start of the session he informs us another mech pilot is coming in to give us some added extra firepower in form of an Awesome...first round, first shot HEAD by a Guass round

3rd - Another campaign, players are doing TOTAL CHAOS, can't remember the mission, but the 'elitest' of the WoB mechs, 1st round - Shot to the head - not enough to destroy, but enough for a Crit roll. 2 Crits! Both Sensors!

Hmmm....seeing a pattern here for 1st Round Head shots.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2019, 11:28:54 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2019, 11:23:09 »
No matter how sucky your position, there is always hope of a couple 12s. It's a feature, not a flaw.

The time my mint executioner took two arrow iv to the side torso. Seriously, who put more armor on the arms than the side torso?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2019, 12:12:48 »
Does being in a BTech rpg campaign where our GM has us roll to see if we successfully seduce a date and then again for our “performance” afterwards, and getting boxcars on the former but snake-eyes on the latter count?

:-[ xp

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2019, 12:16:46 »
it does  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2019, 12:32:03 »
JHB's new chatty topic gets totally ignored at the Kickstarter goes live . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2019, 12:37:06 »
To be fair, I think everything short of the forums spontaneously exploding would be ignored in favor of that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2019, 13:21:55 »
Total Chaos Campaign generic mission.
Because of weather, the mission has so many to-hit modifiers, plus jumping, my forces are nearly impossible to hit.

Meanwhile, all I absolutely have to do is scan the enemy and survive a certain amount of time and escape.

First turn, King Crab has LOS on my Griffin. After all modifiers have been added up, King Crab needs boxcars to hit with his Gauss Rifles.

Needless to say, between eating two Gauss Slugs and rarely winning initiative, I was so on the defensive with that Griffin, that I was never able to complete my scan objective.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2019, 13:53:26 »
I mentioned this in another thread, but I was driving a defending Stalker parked in Heavy Woods.  An enemy Grasshopper runs up, and I need 5's to hit with the kitchen sink (less the LRMs, of course).  I hit that lucky bastard with one Large Laser and one Medium.  In return?  He gets a TAC, and finds an ammo bin, instantly reversing the battlefield situation completely.  C'est la vie de BT!  :P

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2019, 15:08:55 »
  My group was playing out a Clan vs IS scenario where the forces were given BP to spend on pilots and mechs; One of the players submitted his choice, which literally cost almost a quarter of the BP available for 6 players. He was adamant about his choice, and pretty much said that his mech with its elite pilot would be the key to victory. I ran it past the other players and they had no problem with it and I settled for a pair of Spiders, even though we were facing a pair of kids we called the "Masakari Brothers", who only played Clan, only used Masakaris with elite pilots, and heavily depended on head capping.

As I expected, the elite IS pilot, in his game-winning mech was headcapped on the first turn, without even hitting a target. So much "I told you so"...

Yeah, we lost but my Spiders managed to curbstomp one Masakari with a series of physical attacks, keeping him on the ground, unable to attack but unable to kill him before the game was called.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2019, 15:21:49 »

Yeah, we lost but my Spiders managed to curbstomp one Masakari with a series of physical attacks, keeping him on the ground, unable to attack but unable to kill him before the game was called.

and my local group wonder why I like spiders, despite the cain I regularly raise with he back-lines...

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2019, 15:22:04 »
As a player to myself:  Clan Invasion scenario in an urban setting.  I sprint my Dasher (really good pilot) down a street, needing to make one turn on pavement to get behind an opposing 'Mech.  I flub the roll.  I skid past the target (lovely mental picture), stripping armor as I go.  At the end of the street is a lake.  During the skid, the torso loses all armor.  Into the lake I go.  Multiple automatic breaches.  Torso floods.  'Mech dead.  Pilot trapped in his cockpit until post-battle salvage operations.

As a GM to a player:  I had one player in a merc campaign who was totally focused on getting the biggest and baddest 'Mechs with long-range weaponry, and never risking his stuff.  He would let the other guys take the risks.  This went on for months, maybe over a year, and he was into the assault range for most of his lance, but still refused to take risks.  The other guys just put up with it.

Honestly not targeting him, I set up a scenario with hidden forces at randomly determined spots on the map, with randomly determined turns to emerge from the bordering bodies of water.  He backed his LRM boats(I think it was something like customized Stalker, Archer, Cyclops, Atlas) right up to one of the hidden groups, playing it cautious as ever.  Turn comes up for that group's deployment.  It's an assault lance.  He's facing the wrong way, and stationary.  It was carnage.  A 'Mech dead.  The rest crippled.  He quit the campaign at the end of the turn (he had plenty of funds to stay in), and to this day I bet he thinks I did it intentionally.   

CDT Special Agent #343

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2019, 15:32:41 »
This one i recall best:
My Orion attacks a Hunchback whose pilot got knocked out previously. I fire all weapons, merely disarming (literally) the Hunchback, including a headshot that rolls the small laser.
Of course, an alpha strike with the Orion is not a smart idea, especially with some previous heat. I fail the lowest ammo explosion roll and lose the Orion.
The next round, the Hunchback pilot wakes up, stands, and walks away from the map because he had no weapons left.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2019, 17:53:07 »
Teaching newbies at my college. Two versus two with four Mechs each side. We each get one mech of every class and I explain each (the beginner box) so they have a good ideas of capabilities. I have the other team pick first: Atlas, Catapult, Clint, Jenner. A solid force if they get close... and it’s only two maps laid horizontally. My partner picks the Awesome, JagerMech, Trebuchet, and I pick the Panther: basically the force I would have picked with exception of the JagerMech.

Round one: with needing boxcars to hit my partners Jager hits the Clint with both AC2’s and AC5’s Rolls location to hit, head. Rolls Crits and the cockpit is destroyed. My PPC from the Panther legs the enemy Jenner: blows off the leg. Atlas gets two POC’s from the Awesome and the Trebuchet spreads missiles about the Catapult.

Round two: Jenner gets hit in the head by the Panthers PPC.... JagerMech hits the Catapult in the head with a single AC2, the AC5 crits the CT. Engine Hit. Awesome connects with two of three PPC’s on the Atlas.

Round three: Atlas gets in range to get an extreme range hit with his weapons: needs like 7’s... misses everything. Catapults ammo cooks off after the pilot Alpha’ed (Against my advice!). Panther and Awesome hit with two PPC’s on Atlas: Trebuchet wastes missiles in the Catapult. Jager also wasted a good crit on the Catapult breaching a location.

Round four: they surrender.

Yeah..... their teaching/beginner session went to hell... but they actually enjoyed it. We couldn’t stop laughing.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2019, 19:39:17 »
I kinda feel like Hellbie has teleported here and touched all my dice before my last 3 games.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Andrew_Cluetain

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Sniper Mech?
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2019, 21:38:46 »
There are those days, recently in a Dark Age Campaign, we where trying to get back to our Dropship but had to break through some mediums(8) and we where in high end heavies for the most part (Vulture IV, Warwolf, Sunder, and a Gauntlet)  problem was the first turn of shooting TAC's the Warwolf's gyro and we couldn't hit anything half the time; and it got worse...  Vulture gets the same TAC like turn 2 or 3 and the sunder pilot eventually walks home since he (Gauntlet died to ammo crit) can't out maneuver the remaining 6 or 7 mediums that all want his back...
Remember us Ravens seek the ultmate highground, space.

CSR Beta Galaxy

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2019, 22:11:32 »
I was in a merc campaign running a Penetrator when an enemy Trebuchet opened fire at me from long range.  He gets a hit, my AMS kicks on and swats down a few missiles, dropped the cluster down to 6, IIRC.  So he rolls hit locations.  Five points somewhere, and one point... is a TAC to the center torso.

He crits my AMS ammo: 22 points of damage to a location that has 23 points of structure.  Instead of doing the usual thing and mixing it up with the enemy, my Penetrator spent that game hiding in the back and sniping.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #21 on: 18 July 2019, 07:42:44 »
I'll throw another one in. (There's no shortage...)

Tukayyid, battle is Smoke Jaguars vs. Comstar to take Focht's bunker. The Jaguars are pushing hard, but the Com Guards are doing a surprisingly good job (even without Focht's Atlas on the field yet) of holding the bunker. The problem is that their left flank is weakened, and the Jags are pushing hard on that side (courtesy of yours truly) with three Mechs- an Uller, a Ryoken, and a Daishi. The Coms have no answer for the latter, which is slowly but steadily advancing without a care.

Then the Mongoose came.

It occurred during the same turn as a lucky crit knocking the ammo (not the rifle) off the Uller A, neutering that Mech. The Daishi had chased the largest of its opponents on this side of the field- a Shadow Hawk- behind some trees, and was now dealing with two opponents- a Whitworth ahead of it, and a Mongoose that had jogged behind. (I'd been counting on the Uller to keep that situation under control...) Whatever- a Mongoose is a damned good light Mech, but it's a freaking Daishi after all. My rear armor is mint, my limbs have only taken token hits... yeah, the Uller can't really deal with it all that well now, and the Ryoken is busy chasing down that stupid Shaddy, but this is well in-hand.

Then the Mongoose fired its weapons.

The small and one of the mediums both missed, but the two arm-mounted medium lasers? Those didn't miss. The first hit the head- ow. The second then... hit the head, causing a crit, which promptly went to the cockpit.

Ever see The Boondock Saints? It was like that kind of execution. Two guns held to the back of the head (don't try imagining how that works on a Mech shaped like that), pulled the trigger, nothing but gazpacho. Around the long table, word traveled fast on both sides- holy shit, did you see what happened down there, the Jaguar's juggernaut is down, did that Mongoose just headcap an assault Mech, etc.

The Jaguars still won the day, and the Ryoken made life hell on the left flank the rest of the evening, but what ended up as a bloody push up the middle could have been resolved far easier with a left-flank push by that Daishi. Stupid Mongoose...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #22 on: 18 July 2019, 09:51:17 »
One of my most dramatic failures...

In an urban map, my Sirocco decides to be a badass and go all Citytech Cover art, charging straight through a Level 2 Light building(CF 15) to engage a lance on the other side.

Sirocco enters the first hex of the building. Building takes ten damage in the form of a Sirocco-shaped hole just installed in one wall(95 tons/10=9.5, rounded to 10).

Sirocco rolls the required piloting check, succeeds, and takes no damage. Moo hoo ha ha.

Sirocco now rolls to see if the building has a basement. A 3 results in a Depth 1 basement, and the Sirocco takes minor falling damage to the legs and a bit of embarrassment.

With a lightning flash of memory and a growing sense of dread, I skim through the Building section again, and per page 168, the building takes another ten damage due to the Sirocco's fall while inside. This reduces the building's CF to zero, triggering a collapse.

Much laughter is had by everyone at the table(myself included) at my star Mech's misfortune, when I notice the very last sentence on page 176: "If a unit occupies a basement when a building collapses, that unit is destroyed." There aren't any exceptions. xp

My headcanon is that the mech isn't actually destroyed, just trapped. We know mechs are proportionally far weaker than actual humans, so when the mech falls and all the available space gets dulled with rubble, the mech cannot get any leverage with its limbs, and is trapped until someone digs it out.

Moral of the story: If you're playing with random basements, stay the hell out of any building whose CF is 20% or less of your tonnage.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 18 July 2019, 09:52:54 »
... Depth 3 basement? Man, 18 meters underground, why do people in BTU have such basements? Are they hiding secret bases or ComGuards there?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2019, 09:53:59 »
elaborate wine cellars

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2019, 09:54:51 »
... Depth 3 basement? Man, 18 meters underground, why do people in BTU have such basements? Are they hiding secret bases or ComGuards there?

"It's the cops! Quick, Joey, get into the basement and power up that Stalker I ain't goin' back to prison!"
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #26 on: 18 July 2019, 09:55:45 »
Underground parking garage. It's the only way to provide for your employees without having militia Demolishers take up all the good spots.

(And the one in my example was just Depth 1)
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 18 July 2019, 10:00:32 »
Ah, right, i read that "3 result" as depth 3 for some reason.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #28 on: 18 July 2019, 10:09:42 »
"Topic: When it all goes to hell..."  That, in my games, is what is known as "Turn 1".  The rest is usually downhill from there.

Played 3 games in a row against a friend, back in the day.

First game, round 1, his GHR and my TDR are at 21 hexes, and we both need 12's to hit.  No point in me wasting ammo at those odds, right?  He fires his LRM-5, rolls the necessary boxcars to hit, rolls snake-eyes for location, and crits both my gyro and engine on turn 1.  I proceed to fall down, spend the rest of the match attempting to stand, and fail all but once, where I'm promptly put back on the ground permanently.  I think I did about 5-10 points of damage to his 'Mech the entire match.

Second game, his Spider against my Javelin, we both run to close the range, and both end up with 12s to hit (he's got a better movement modifier, but I've got a terrain advantage).  Again, I'm not wasting ammo at 12+, while he shoots at boxcars to hit, gets the hit on the first shot, a TAC to a torso location with ammo, and I'm out of the game before I've taken a shot.

Third game, his Warhammer against my Marauder, he gets a PPC hit to the head of my 'Mech on the opening shot at bad odds, crits the cockpit, and it's game over.  My own return shots are 2 easier, and miss.

Of course, when a friend's Kraken tried crossing a shallow stream on the second turn of a game, failed the piloting roll, fell, and breached the head in the water, that was a bad day too.  Pretty bad when you not only don't get to take a shot, but don't even get to see your opponents.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 18 July 2019, 11:51:33 »
First MO I participated in, so 2nd one Fanpro did, I am playing my Warden Wolves . . . across a mostly open map against a IS force.  We start towards each other, and I keep the movement on my Phantom H down to match the Orion IIC that was running in . . . so it only has a +2 on a design that is supposed to get a +4.  It gets hit by LRMs, want to say a 5 rack, at range 21 . . . needed a 10 or 11 . . . hits with 3 missiles.  Rolls a 2 for location . . . rolls a 12 . . . engine, engine, engine.  Backstabbing speeder gone, leaves me the Orion IIC as my only other mech with IIRC a veh and BA to fill that 5k force.  I think the veh was a Svantovit, it blew later . . . and my Orion IIC could not hit with cERLLs or Gauss before the Gauss got crit.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 18 July 2019, 14:52:32 »
I have two

1) I'm running the "White Ghost, Black Death"  WWE (that saw the OV get their heads kicked in by Loren Jaffrey and his ragtag band. Jaffrey's side had already cleared half the board, the only real threat left is a Viking on the OV side. Slade and Mindar (forum handles) are in partial cover, pounding on the Viking, Slade with an Akuma, Mindar in a Rifleman. The Viking let's rip on the Akuma, ends up doing light damage everywhere but, importantly, it does 8 to the head. Last LRM fires, 8 missiles hit. First 5 LL, which hits the hill because partial cover. Mindar looks at Slade and says "You're fine unless he hits your head". Next roll, 3 points to head. Roll for crits, 12. Akuma falls over unhurt but headless. Mindar is no longer allowed to tell us what we "don't need to happen".

2) We are running a city fight, part of the fighting between Liao and Davion during the FedCom Civil War. My FedCom Axeman has two kills, one a decapitation with the axe and the other AC20 through the CT of a light mech. On the next street over a Liao Jinggau has stopped, perfectly lined up for be to jump behind. So over the building I go, landing three hexes behind the Jinggau. I fire everything, AC20 hits untouched leg, everything else spreads out, no internal damage. But I'm fine, he can, at most, hit me with one arm. Until he asks for clarification, "As long as I don't have hand or lower arm actuators I can arm flip, right". Me, "Right, why do you... Crap". Jinggau arm flips and proceeds too put a Gauss through the head of the Axeman, along with the rest of his weapons ripping the arm off.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2019, 20:57:20 by Bosefius »
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #31 on: 18 July 2019, 14:59:12 »
Ooh, I remember White Ghost, Black Death.

I was on the Highlander side and we'd adopted a defensive position around the mouth of a canyon the Blakists had to come through, when suddenly the guy running our assault lance decided to go Leroy Jenkins and charge all four of his mechs out into the open where they could be seen by the entire Blakist force while the rest of our company couldn't see anything.

We lost the Highlander and Black Watch in the first round, then the other two mechs (can't remember what they were anymore) followed shortly thereafter.

Of course, things weren't helped by the GM letting the other team use BMR rules for Targeting Computers.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 18 July 2019, 16:32:26 »
Have you ever DFA an Atlas while using a Hover APC that loses PSR control while cruising on the Mountain map?

I have...

Tried to make the curve and failed, ran off the cliff right smack into an Atlas' head. Took it on the right side...

I've also used a sprayer fueled by oil to slick a Hussar into a side of a building to cause it to collapse on itself.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #33 on: 18 July 2019, 16:43:30 »
That's... pretty much the exact opposite of something going to hell... I mean, that's simply MADE OF PURE AWESOME!  :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 18 July 2019, 16:48:27 »
It was MY Atlas and my APC...

I DFA'd my own force...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 18 July 2019, 16:51:04 »
Ohhhh… OK, that DEFINITELY counts!  :thumbsup:

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #36 on: 18 July 2019, 21:08:18 »
It was MY Atlas and my APC...

I DFA'd my own force...
Yet it made a very fetching hat, don't you think?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 18 July 2019, 23:54:46 »
Very Dapper!

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #38 on: 19 July 2019, 00:24:46 »
First game, round 1, his GHR and my TDR are at 21 hexes, and we both need 12's to hit.

Second game, his Spider against my Javelin, we both run to close the range, and both end up with 12s to hit

12s to hit at long range being obnoxious (and too often coming with crits) are why I can't live without the glancing blows optional rule.  Saves way too many rage quits. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 19 July 2019, 01:06:39 »
There was a Clan star-v-star fight I played in.  Honor rules level 1 were in effect, as were forced withdrawl.  I end up with a Daishi H vs a Turkina D.

First round, at 27 hexes it hits me with one ATM 12, gets snake eyes on the location, and puts two crits into my Gyro.

Of course, he wasn't laughing so hard several rounds later when my Ryoken E got right up next to him, Alpha Striked, and proceeded to hit with everything and put it all into his right torso.  Ripped him clean in half in one round.

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 19 July 2019, 01:13:39 »
Playing a Solaris Free-For-All with about 5-6 players. Everyone either has big beefy close combat 'Mechs, or custom 'Mechs. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath, and my Berserker is just itching to get in there!

First turn, I'm mid-initiative, and decide I'm going for it. MASC engage... double 1.

:-[

Well that didn't last long...  :bang:

BYE

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 19 July 2019, 11:14:55 »
  Okay, I'm the GM in this campaign most of the players are veterans and don't even require cheat sheets for rolling Mods or Locations. They also have a habit of using the Easy button as often as possible.

They easily capture a base once held by rebels and find out there's a company-sized infantry force in the rump town you'd find just outside any military base. The rebels are scrambling and look like they are getting ready to run.

The genius in charge, who just had a regiment curbstomp the defending rebel battalion decides to reach for the Easy button  and has a dropship lift off, fly over, and incinerate the fleeing enemy before the left the center of town. After I asked "Are you sure?" three times, he kept mashing that button until I shrugged... I described to him what happens when a DS lands. The infantry company and its lorries were easily vaporized, as was most of the town. The crater was three levels deep and by some mysterious coincidence, all the utilities, like power, communication lines, gas and water, were routed under the town that happened to be just outside the main gate. The town's population was about 10,000...was...and over the next few days, people outside the town were posting videos of their friends and relatives in their homes and even underground bunkers, being vaporized.

Needless to say, the players' unit was the best recruiting campaign the rebels could ever hope for, because these players went out of their way to keep stepping on it...they managed to turn a minor, regional grievance into a full-fledged planetary uprising, from an insignificant riot detail to total war:

Captain Tai: Let's break their morale by publicly torturing and executing prisoners!
Captain Dong: Sorry, didn't hear that, I'm going to lunch.
  Walking away when the sociopaths are breaking laws does not absolve you of involvement...

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #42 on: 19 July 2019, 11:39:14 »
Free-for-all game, every player could bring a custom Mech up to a certain BV limit (which I admit I've forgotten). Hellbie showed up in a rather fetching Atlas packing Streak missiles, ER medium lasers, and a trio of LGRs- it worked better than it sounds like, at least in Megamek tests.

...but not today.

Atlas spots an enemy in the urban jungle map we're on, and lumbers towards a traffic circle with a fountain in the  middle of it- the plan is to take control of the intersection, fling Gauss slugs down the street at anything that moves, and light up anything that manages to get close with enough lasers and SRMs to make me very happy.

Atlas, however, apparently didn't have good tread on the bottom of its feet, and slipped on the pavement. Well, okay, a couple of five-point hits and a pilot hit, that's embarassing, but I can salvage th-

-wait, it skidded too? Oh. Well, that's even more annoying, but-

-into the fountain's Lv.1 water? Okaaay, but the head took damage from skidding into the hex so I have to do a breach check-

-...yeah, my mint-condition assault Mech slipped, fell into waist-high water- a single hex of it- and drowned there. Children are pinging coins off my pilot's corpse to make a wish.

+Crow T. Robot+

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 19 July 2019, 16:24:21 »
That is some amazing luck.  Ouch!

winters_night

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 20 July 2019, 00:26:09 »
Was teaching a friend how to play Battletech after playing Mechwarrior Online. He took a Shadow Cat and a Stormcrow, I plopped down a Dire Wolf, turn 1 the Shadow Cat pops the head off the Dire Wolf with his gauss rifle.

WHELP! That's Battletech in a way!  I told him, so we reset up, I dropped the Dire Wolf and took a Summoner and a Night Gyr, he took the PPC Timber Wolf and something I can't remember. Turn 1 Timber headcaps my Summoner.

He liked learning Battletech

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 21 July 2019, 23:38:28 »
We just won an engagement with a Clan star and their last unit, a Ice Ferret Prime, was withdrawing in haste.  I figured screw it, I'll stand still and take pot shots at it as it runs. 

It torso twists to take a shot back at me, and drills me in the cockpit.

That's what I get for being greedy.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #46 on: 22 July 2019, 01:23:32 »
Pristine BLR-1G stomping through a rubble hex that used to be a building.

Fails piloting roll.

Damages left arm, TAC.

MG ammo crit.

We scrounged up a mushroom cloud of cotton for that hex and joked that a cinder block had a kill marker on it now.

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 22 July 2019, 02:08:22 »
This was a number of years and a number of systems ago. Was playing Solaris rules IIRC, in Ishiyama. Boy that mountain earned its nickname.

Can't remember what mech I was using -- think was a Beemer. First step, mine. Second, Mine. Third, Pit. Fourth, Pit WITH Mine.

There wasn't a fifth. At that point it was clear I wasn't fighting a duel, I was fighting the MOUNTAIN.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 22 July 2019, 07:45:39 »
I played a double blind 3025 megamek game where I brought a Jenner and three hunchbacks. I get lucky and draw a city map. I spend 3 turns carefully spotting with the Jenner and hiding my hunchbacks. I get to a point where I know I can run around the last building and stop 1 hex short of letting his four harchetmen get melee in.

Hunchback 1 fails PSR and skids into a building. It took a pilot hit(s?) and passed out.  Hunchback 2 and 3 navigate the corner and only need 5s to hit. We had the optional rapid fire rule in effect so I double tapped the AC20s. One rolled a 2 and exploded, taking the whole torso off. The other rolled a 3.

He had targeted the building the Jenner was on and hit it with all 4 ac10s. The building collapsed.

That’s the first game of battletech where one turn went so badly that it took the wind out of my sails and I just offered to concede and start over.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #49 on: 22 July 2019, 13:55:00 »
Dover, Delaware. My merry band of players has requested the GM (Bosefius) to allow us to use semi-guided LRMs in our forces, and he's grudgingly agreed. Hellbie suggests setting the LRM Mechs up behind a large hill as a result. Hellbie's advice is ignored- instead the LRM boats are on a Lv.3 plateau with only one ramp leading up or down. Hellbie is displeased. Hellbie is then told he's in charge of a couple of the LRM boats that just got offered as sacrifices to the gaming gods. Hellbie, by now thoroughly enjoying talking about himself in the third person, sees where this is going. Just... not quite the way it got there.

See, among the Mechs in his command is a Yeoman.

And among the Mechs charging up the ramp to beat his Mechs to a pulp is a Berserker. The TSM one. THAT thing.

Ever see a walking waffle get sliced in half by a 40-point hatchet strike to the CT? There was nothing to be done about it, the setup was almost custom-designed to be self-groin-punchingly bad, but I was ready to eat my fellow players with farva beans and a nice chianti by the time that turn ended.

+Crow T. Robot+

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 22 July 2019, 15:38:57 »
I lost a Toyama in the first round of combat to a headshot from a heavy PPC.  After it had done nothing but run up the map.  There went my heaviest mech.  Lost to the nether.  The rest of the fight went downhill from there.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #51 on: 22 July 2019, 16:06:00 »
Did I ever tell you all of the time I used orbital bombardment in a regular game of BT?  We did the missions from Jihad Turning Points: Luthien as a loose narrative campaign, and for the one where there's a fight with the DCMS, Nova Cats and WoB, I decided to use a warship.  Paid for with points so it all balanced out.  And it was a glorious mess.  We had 4 urban mapsheets and 2 of relatively open terrain, with the Nova Cats coming in on the open terrain, WoB in the middle, and the DCMS on the far side or the urban section.  The best/worst moment was when a squad of Djinn TAGged a Combine Mech, but the orbiral shot still missed.  It scattered, and still took out the mech I was aiming for.  And two other DCMS mechs.  And the Djinn squad. And an undamged Seraph...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 22 July 2019, 16:10:41 »
Hellbie: wait, wait, wait... they gave you "control" of a unit, but not its deployment??  WTF???  ???

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #53 on: 22 July 2019, 16:25:56 »
Dover, Delaware. My merry band of players has requested the GM (Bosefius) to allow us to use semi-guided LRMs in our forces, and he's grudgingly agreed. Hellbie suggests setting the LRM Mechs up behind a large hill as a result. Hellbie's advice is ignored- instead the LRM boats are on a Lv.3 plateau with only one ramp leading up or down.

What the heck was the point in taking semi-guided LRMs if they were just going to stick the missile boats there?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #54 on: 23 July 2019, 07:43:11 »
What the heck was the point in taking semi-guided LRMs if they were just going to stick the missile boats there?

That was my question too. The original plan was to use indirect fire, so I spent several minutes arguing a case for those semi-guided rounds- we had several TAG units, after all, we were a WoB force so we'd have access to the fun toys, etc.- and when I finally got that call made, everything got moved forward 'so we'd have better numbers early-on'.

Years of hockey have given me a pretty vivid vocabulary. I exhausted most of it by the time that Berserker even approached the ramp.

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 23 July 2019, 10:27:19 »
Mike Tyson once said that everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face, but some people insist on leading with their chin.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 23 July 2019, 10:54:29 »
A friend and I were playing a Clan vs. Inner Sphere game and we were using the engine explosion rules from one of the earlier supplements and rules for falls from higher elevations.  He had a Star and I had an IS company.  After Turn 1 initiative was over, he fired first, his Warhawk struck my QKD-4G Quickdraw with both ER PPCs, one in the RT and the other in the LT.  Both locations have only 14 pts of armor, so he rolled crits and got ammo hits in both locations. 

The ammo explosion triggered an engine explosion and the BJ-1 Blackjack standing right next to the Quickdraw took the brunt of it.  Including taking the head off of the BJ-1 Blackjack.  To make matters worse, under the falling rules we were using, the Blackjack fell into a neighboring hex and fell on top of my Battlemaster.

Rolling hit locations, the Battlemaster took minimal damage, but did take a shot to the head and the Battlemaster pilot failed a Consciousness check and when rolling for hit locations it fell...on its head, breaching the armor and rolling a cockpit crit and killed the pilot.

Once we caught our breaths from laughing so hard, I told him that my side surrendered.  I mean, look at it from their point of view...We were playing early in the Clan Invasion and this unknown 'Mech literally just walked onto the board and fired twice, but KILLED THREE 'MECHS.  Of course, I would surrender!

To this day, almost 25 years later, I can say, "Hey, how may points of Right/Left Torso armor does a 3025 Quickdraw have?" to my best friend and still get a smile. 

The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 23 July 2019, 15:57:23 »
Designed in an era prior to 15 point weapons...  ::)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #58 on: 23 July 2019, 15:58:28 »
Designed in a era of 20 point weapons?
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 23 July 2019, 16:10:31 »
In an era of ONE 20-point weapon, that weighed 14 tons, and only had 5 shots per ton of ammo...

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #60 on: 23 July 2019, 16:11:49 »
Dover, Delaware. My merry band of players has requested the GM (Bosefius) to allow us to use semi-guided LRMs in our forces, and he's grudgingly agreed. Hellbie suggests setting the LRM Mechs up behind a large hill as a result. Hellbie's advice is ignored- instead the LRM boats are on a Lv.3 plateau with only one ramp leading up or down. Hellbie is displeased. Hellbie is then told he's in charge of a couple of the LRM boats that just got offered as sacrifices to the gaming gods. Hellbie, by now thoroughly enjoying talking about himself in the third person, sees where this is going. Just... not quite the way it got there.

See, among the Mechs in his command is a Yeoman.

And among the Mechs charging up the ramp to beat his Mechs to a pulp is a Berserker. The TSM one. THAT thing.

Ever see a walking waffle get sliced in half by a 40-point hatchet strike to the CT? There was nothing to be done about it, the setup was almost custom-designed to be self-groin-punchingly bad, but I was ready to eat my fellow players with farva beans and a nice chianti by the time that turn ended.

I still tell that story, because that Berserker C3 was a beast. Same player also had a Marauder II, lose a leg, stand back up and proceed to make every piloting roll to remain standing for 4 turns.

I did feel awful for you though, your teammates company ignored anything you had to say.
« Last Edit: 30 July 2019, 18:42:50 by Bosefius »

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 23 July 2019, 16:18:29 »
That was my question too. The original plan was to use indirect fire, so I spent several minutes arguing a case for those semi-guided rounds- we had several TAG units, after all, we were a WoB force so we'd have access to the fun toys, etc.- and when I finally got that call made, everything got moved forward 'so we'd have better numbers early-on'.

Years of hockey have given me a pretty vivid vocabulary. I exhausted most of it by the time that Berserker even approached the ramp.

The worst thing was on the first turn ofb movement the Berserker pilot declared "I'm running 9 over already" and I said sure, since I'd given in on the semi-guided LRMs (though BV was right the same, the WOB mercs were almost all upgraded tech while the Dragoons had quite a few 3025 designs). The Berserker player announces he's running hot to the other side, only JHB notices. He gets the rest of the teams attention and they finally, begrudgingly, agree to shoot the Berserker. First fire declaration, they completely forgot and only JHB shot at it. Second round comes, LRM boats can't retreat off the hill (back side was a level 3 cliff) and the Berserker has closed to melee range. And, somehow, most of JHBs team ignored it. JHB had every right to be frustrated, to the point the other side was offering to let him join.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #62 on: 23 July 2019, 16:19:21 »
The worst thing was on the first turn ofb movement the Berserker pilot declared "I'm running 9 over already" and I said sure, since I'd given in on the semi-guided LRMs (though BV was right the same, the WOB mercs were almost all upgraded tech while the Dragoons had quite a few 3025 designs). The Berserker player announces he's running hot to the other side, only JHB notices. He gets the rest of the teams attention and they finally, begrudgingly, agree to shoot the Berserker. First fire declaration, they completely forgot and only JHB shot at it. Second round comes, LRM boats can't retreat off the hill (back side was a level 3 cliff) and the Berserker has closed to melee range. And, somehow, most of JHBs team ignored it. JHB had every right to be frustrated, to the point the other side was offering to let him join.

... I think I would have taken that offer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 23 July 2019, 16:20:49 »
Yikes!  For the record, I wouldn't ignore Hellbie in any situation, much less one like that!  :o

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #64 on: 23 July 2019, 16:45:19 »
I went 15 years from my first game to my first win and that came via a lucky PPC shot from my immobile Manticore on the last surviving mech.

I did have a case where we were playing king of the hill and I had a P-Hawk reach the top of the hill in round one or two. First shots fired in anger of the game were two heavy gauss rifles at my P-Hawk, both of which hit. My mech was vaporized.

A game where my Fire Moth was avoiding getting so much as a point of damage by alternating running and MASC. Then I took a single hit from a large laser if I remember right. And that was all she wrote.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #65 on: 24 July 2019, 06:26:15 »
Yikes!  For the record, I wouldn't ignore Hellbie in any situation, much less one like that!  :o

Let's just say I was ready to consult Google Maps to determine not so much where the nearest bar in downtown Dover was, but how many I could make into a walking tour of town...

+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 24 July 2019, 17:30:36 »
I'd have backed that plan to the hilt too..  ;D

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #67 on: 24 July 2019, 18:57:41 »
No so much an "it all went to Hell" moment for me, but one I watched another VERY obnoxious player have happen to him. ;)

At the local University here a professor and CBT enthusiast put together a large tabletop game, open to all comers regardless of experience. He set up realistic terrain, had miniatures for anyone needing one, and an overall great grinder game set-up. He even had everyone roll up their mech on a personally crafted RAT. 8)

One guy, who made sure to mention he was both a killer player and a cop about 300 times each, got a lucky roll and scored himself an Atlas of all things! He went on and on about how he was going to kick-a-- and take names running THAT beast. I ended up with an Ostsol (first time ever to play one) and on his side.  ::)

Game gets started, and not five minutes into it a total newbie piloting a Hollander takes a just-for-the-hell-of-it edge of long rang shot at the obnoxious guy's Atlas. He even says he doesn't imagine it'll hit but he just wants to see how the process works. Newbie rolls his shot with all appropriate modifiers, needing a 12 to hit at all. He then rolls boxcars with the Professor's supplied dice right in front of everybody.  :thumbsup:

A miracle hit! :o

He then proceeds to roll his hit locations, criticals chances, the works and ends up with a HEAD SHOT. The obnoxious guy and his Atlas are dead before the game even got barely started... xp

The obnoxious guy throws his dice on the table and storms out of the Hall, cursing everyone and their mother on his way out. ;D ;D ;D

While I have no issues with cops or even vociferous players, THAT guy was one I was pleased to see throw a tantrum and walk off... 8)

« Last Edit: 24 July 2019, 19:03:33 by Black_Knyght »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 28 July 2019, 15:15:14 »
When it went wrong for the other guy (I think it was neonknight)

last year at the local mini-con, Jade falcon VS draconis combine. I had a Jade Hawk, the streak version. Also on my side were a couple of Hel and a Shrike, the last with a newbie at the helm.

I decide that I'd play aggro, as the JH has better mobility than firepower, and on turn two supercharger my way up to a slow assault. I figure a bunch of SRM and a kick will get their attention. I never got the chance to kick it, it died from all four streaks locking on, followed by a golden BB to the engine. Attention got!

I spend the next couple turns bouncing around, getting shot at a lot and not much else.

The attracted attention was enough that the Hel could park on a hill and rain fire down with pretty much no return fire. The Shrike was much less effective, as there was a Rokurokubi he was terrified would get behind him (You're in an assault, you have rear armor for a reason!!!)

But yeah, eating that big a chunk of their firepower early was pretty much the turning point in that game.

« Last Edit: 28 July 2019, 16:15:08 by Greatclub »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #69 on: 28 July 2019, 17:30:05 »
Famous last words from my friend:

"I can beat a 4." *rolls a 3*
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: 29 July 2019, 14:02:11 »
*That time when a Battlemaster took a head hit and failed a 3+ Consciousness check...6 time in a row.  There were many, "Shh...he's sleeping!  Don't wake him up!" jokes made. 

*That time I watched as an LCT-1M Locust got a Golden BB shot on the CT of a Stone Rhino...resulting in two gyro hits.

*For a positive one (for me), in MW 2nd Edition, the last opponent in my PCs Bloodname Trial was a MW with a BLD of 6 and Toughness (to my BLD of 4).  This is after winning all the way to the end through a Grand Melee (you try being a Warden in the Clan Jade Falcon and see if you get any sponsors for Bloodname Trials).  So, with a sense of grim determination, I rolled dice and spent EDG like crazy...and put her down in two rounds!  We laughed as we imagined that the Hazen Bloodhouse leaders must have been purple with rage, since they couldn't find even a small technical detail to deny the Trial results.

The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 29 July 2019, 14:42:19 »
Famous last words from my friend:

"I can beat a 4." *rolls a 3*
I'm pretty sure i said something similar about that Orion that exploded on ammo explosion, needed 3 and got 2...

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #72 on: 30 July 2019, 07:53:25 »
Let's just say I was ready to consult Google Maps to determine not so much where the nearest bar in downtown Dover was, but how many I could make into a walking tour of town...

Hellbie, every time you start talking about your bad luck I want to visit Tvtropes.org's Epic Fail page. It's like a Pavlovian response now.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 30 July 2019, 08:11:45 »
I was just taking the Stag out for a test run against a Megamek bot. I got behind him and managed to go through the back armor and get to engine crits against the bot Uziel. It began running for the edge but ran out of movement on the last row. So he tried to kick me.

And failed.

And fell down.

On his back.

And critted the engine.

:facepalm:

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #74 on: 30 July 2019, 08:12:35 »
Well, here's one that shows the other side of Hellbie Dice, then... because it isn't 'weird things happen to ruin JHB's day', it's 'weird things happen to JHB'... not all of them are negative. (Just mostly)

It's 2004, and a Clan-tech grinder is just getting started on a warm Saturday in Denver. Mechs are randomly spawning on the field, and one of them is a Hellfire, driven by the Commando/Demo Agent at the time in Denver, Septicemia. He spawned near the edge of a Lv. 7 cliff leading down into a ravine, but he doesn't care about that. What he cares about is that I spawned six hexes away from him in a Kodiak (the original, and at the time only config- I don't remember if the Hellfire was a 1 or 2). Sep panicked, as one does when the most powerful Mech in the game at the time pops up in your vicinity. So, he engaged MASC to take off towards a grove of woods nearby for some cover.

Well, this was before Total Warfare, so MASC failure meant frozen legs. He needs a 3, and... nope. At this point he's all set to just eject, but we decide to see it through and let him get in a few return shots- maybe he'll luck out and slay the bear? After all, Hellfires are pretty beefy in terms of firepower, and he's not going to hold anything back at this point anyway, so... maybe?

No. The Kodiak's approach comes in from the left side, so only a few of the Hellfire's massive battery can fire back- and it's scattered damage to the bear, which has run right up into base contact. But the cannon stays quiet (ammo conservation), only the large laser fires. Even the medium laser cluster in each hand holds fire. And when the dust clears, the angry bear gives a firm shove.

The Hellfire plummets to what ended up being a very ugly demise, courtesy of ammo crits and such. But there's a reason for the shove beyond 'Hellfire fall down, go boom'. See, I saw something else going on- at the bottom of the ravine, a Mist Lynx was taking cover against the edge of the cliff in case it garnered any attention from the heavyweights above it, and the Hellfire happened to fall juuuuust right to land right on the little scout...

Two kills on turn one for the angry bear. For what it's worth, the squished Mist Lynx was driven by my ex-fiancee, making the story even sweeter in hindsight. (She was not pleased.)

+Crow T. Robot+

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 30 July 2019, 10:31:16 »
Man I will have to come back I don't know where to begin with some of my lost failures.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #76 on: 30 July 2019, 11:02:08 »
Wasn’t me but funny as hell. Trial of Bloodright tourney in San Antonio, I was between matches so was watching a Warhawk vs a Huntsman with an ace pilot and an LB2-X AC. First round, 28 hexes away, cluster round, a single point through the Warhawk’s cockpit glass. One very pissed off Warhawk player.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 30 July 2019, 11:59:58 »
One I almost forgot. At my old FLGS we were having a weekend long mini-con and as my part I ran a clan versus inner sphere event. The goal was for the clan to find the dishonorable spheroids who had hidden in a city near a mountain river. To intice players to play the IS I gave thema big tonnage advantage (pre-BV) including a pair of 50 ton hover tanks that I had designed and which had earned me a ban from designing von hovertanks.

Having ended up in command of the only clan mech with a beagle probe I took the mixed light-medium star over the mountain and crested it in sight of the town.

The two hovers broke cover and streaked up the river reaching range 3 to my mech. Two PPCs and 4 SRM4s later and my mech is scrap on a hill. The IS proceeded to pull off a picture perfect ambush. And both hovers camr out completely functional.

Ferrosol

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #78 on: 30 July 2019, 13:23:55 »
My merry band of mechwarriors were leading a 4th Donegal Guards counter-attack against an invading Jade Falcon cluster and incidentally testing out one of these new-fangled Heavy Gauss Barghests.  Turn 1 everything goes fine.  Turn 2 Heavy Gauss Barghest fires at Jade Falcon Hellbringer, shot misses. HGR Barghest fails the pilot roll by rolling a 2. HGR Barghest falls over, takes a triple TAC to the Heavy Gauss Rifle. Heavy Gauss Rifle explodes blowing off the side torso and destroying the mech.

Both the Jade Falcon player and I are laughing our heads off at this point and I just immediately surrender. I think one of the other players in our group worked out the odds of it happening at one point and it turned out you were more likely to be struck by lightning than have that happen.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 31 July 2019, 21:32:17 »
Eight years ago I participated in a mini-campaign set around 3056, I played a mixed company of combined arms for House Kurita's Ryuken-ni. I was fighting some lead elements from House Davion's 42nd Avalon Hussars.

We both fielded, without knowing at the time during the game, using Blind rules in a city, a single Hatchetman! His was the -5S and mine was a -5K, the Katana variant... ( I was fielding a Catapult-C4, a Wyvern-5N - courtesy of Comstar's oopsie OP:Rosebud, an old Kintaro-20 - an old -19 swapping the Narc for a LL and of course, the Hatchetman. I also fielded a lance of Tokugawa's-150's and two Squads of Radien BA and a single platoon of Kurita's finest Rifle, Foot hauled around in a lance of wheeled APCs: three SRM's and a single MG variant. )  So here I am, looking for the enemy when suddenly my support gets attacked! He sprung on me a pair of Corsair-V20s! Firing, they took out a pair of Tokugawa, just left them burning in the middle of the city street while his Cavalier BA poured on firepower at my dismounted infantry squad trying to pull crewmen from burning up. Adding injury to the assault, his Hatchetman jumped over to attempt to land a coup-de-grace onto the left side of my katana wielding one. Needed 8's and connected... so'kay I swung and missed! Needed 11's and rolled 9... But next turn I laid down LRM fire onto my position from yonder Catapult, connected with all 40 missiles! Double 10s and rolled 11 and 12 on the cluster chart to boot!

Well needless to say I ended up retreating when his paired Victors and single Grasshopper ( the PPC one ) showed up... I can't compete with assaults with out my own...

Still remember that fight as if it was yesterday... Hatchet vs. Katana!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #80 on: 01 August 2019, 13:28:31 »
Years ago, my friends and I did a 4Th SW battle. Our Liao player/GM placed some buildings with surprises inside on one of the 4 or 6 maps of the game. I was moving a Davion Lance that way and one mech got in range of the surprise: an SRM infantry platoon getting out and trying to swarm. His rolls fail, only 2 SRMs hits. Not bad for my mech.

The joke is when he realized what mech he swarmed.... a Firestarter  >:D >:D >:D. Let's just say he didn't ask for rolls agaist his PBI.  ;D ;D ;D :D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 01 August 2019, 13:36:06 »
Why would you try to swarm with an SRM platoon?  Swarm attacks don't deal damage from missile weapons.

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 01 August 2019, 13:39:12 »
Something like this happened to my players a while back.

The op was a simple one, get in, raid the wreckage of the dropship for the backup HD and get out. The opposition was expected to be nothing more than some bandit forces, heavy on the infantry.
Well for a start it turned out that the 'bandits' had some aid in the form of a scout mech lance and a couple of LRM carriers, but the players had the advantage in the form of a 3025 Heavy lance (Awesome, Thunderbolt, Catapult and Wolverine) all geared up and ready to go. Things were going well and the Wolverine spotted a Flea trying to harass the flanks and set off in pursuit through the canyons. He was getting cocky and managed to damage the lighter mech quite badly when it turned towards the wreck and ran straight into a dead end. The player did not think anything strange of this and ran after the Flea. Cornered his prey turned around to face the virtually undamaged Wolverine....
And 5 platoons of infantry popped out of the wrecked DS's hull and the canyon sides, plastering the medium in missile and grenade fire. In one fell swoop the Wolverine was crippled and the tide turned. They retreated shortly afterwards and since then have had a healthy respect for infantry.

More recently one of them ran a Commando around a corner and straight into a Demolisher tank that was sat waiting in ambush. The Commando was struck from the roster seconds later.

for myself I remember one game where I had to escort a convoy of supply vehicles through a city whilst my opponent had to destroy them. On turn 2 his pre-ranged artillery shot landed in the main street through the city.
"So that hits here and the AOE spreads this far"
".... Which tube where you using?"
"A Sniper, why?"
"A sh-"
Not one of the transports survived.
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #83 on: 01 August 2019, 15:19:55 »
I was teaching a few of my friends to play Battletech. I had a Commando (3050 variant), Battlemaster (3050 variant), and Enforcer (3050 variant) versus their  Victor, Spider and 3050 Centurion that had all been upgraded to be more survivable and to have all front-facing weapons. The Spider had no armour left, but bad hit spread meant that it was still fighting. Both the Battlemaster and the Victor were horrifically battered, and the Enforcer was overheating. My friend moved his basically undamaged Centurion into a strong firing position, and I was only able to fire my Enforcer's cluster shot in response. I hit, one of my cluster shots hits the torso and gets a TAC, and hits ammo. My friends pristine Centurion was annihilated with almost no damage and no stupid mistakes on his part in his second ever game. He had died to a fuke ammo explosion in his first game too.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

ChargerIIC

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 01 August 2019, 16:45:19 »
My Very First Game of Battletech was a perfect example of things going to hell. My friend and I had gotten copies of the game, shared out the rules as best we could, and arranged a series of 6 man free for alls as part of an all-night gaming session (ahh...youth). For the very first match we decided to use stock builds and I picked a beautiful ZEU-6T as my start. I get third in initiative and happily wait to move this 85 ton assault mech into what promises to be an apic game.

The first person to go putters about a little, realizing that they are out of range of a lot of firepower, but that if they risk a little, they could shoot a gauss rifle slug at long range. Not much of a chance of hitting, but what the hell, why not?

You guessed it. Went right through the head of my Zeus and splashed the pilot.

Well that's a hundred in one shot so no worries right? I patiently watch as the rest of the match unfolds and then eagerly scoop up my record sheets for match 2: Custom Units!. Not knowing that Clan tech was a massive advantage (or that *at the time* the clans didn't use vehicles), I had crafted this 100 ton monster Clan tank with 4 AC 20s and enough armor to drive through any active volcanoes between myself and the deployment zone. It was going to be epic. People look over at it nervously as they deploy paired medium mechs and lances of lights, but everything is still feeling nice and casual. Another buddy of mine even pulls out a rare find - he's secured a scorpion towed artillery piece and places it on a high hill. We discuss how cool it is, and decide that it'll target a random player each turn 'for fluff and fun'. The thing only did 5 damage *if* it hit, so no one was worried about it.

I should have been. Thanks to the vehicle rules, the artillery piece misses me turn 1, scatters nearby (causing 2 points of damage) but scores a critical hit. I roll on the critical hit table and freeze.

Crew Killed

This nearly pristine assault tank had rolled onto the field, been hit by a very specific of shrapnel which apparently traveled up an air vent and ricocheted around, killing everyone. They hadn't been tank crewmen after all, they had been deliverymen with an expiration date.

I've had a lot of games since then across a variety of game systems, but I'll never forget that night and the lesson it taught me. Dice Happen. No matter what you plan, Dice Happen.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 02 August 2019, 05:08:25 »
Ok Charger IIC, ya got me beat.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #86 on: 02 August 2019, 09:03:47 »
Why would you try to swarm with an SRM platoon?  Swarm attacks don't deal damage from missile weapons.

Missuse of the term swarm. It was a long time ago.  :))

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #87 on: 02 August 2019, 10:29:15 »
Missuse of the term swarm. It was a long time ago.  :))

Ah.  Well, the infantry learned an important lesson that day: know what your target is, because knowing is half the battle. ;D

Register