Author Topic: Tis But a Scratch!  (Read 2285 times)

Achtung Minen!

• Sergeant
Tis But a Scratch!
« on: 09 May 2018, 17:08:47 »
When a ’Mech loses one leg... a standing ’Mech automatically falls.
In a subsequent turn, during the Movement Phase (Ground), the ’Mech may attempt to stand on its remaining leg... If the ’Mech manages to stand, it has a Walking MP of 1 and cannot run.

This rule has remained unchanged since at least 3rd Edition, if not earlier. Even the wording is basically the same. But since I first began playing Battletech decades ago, I have always found it the most ridiculous rule in the game. Just imagining these super cool giant robots literally pogo-ing across the battlefield while they shout over the intercoms "It's just a flesh wound!" Even standing on one leg seems ludicrous to me.

So why are there rules like this? Why not just say, leg is shot off, you're grounded for the rest of the game and can only fire arm weapons? Has anyone considered house ruling this before?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Tis But a Scratch!
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 17:22:23 »
because you should be rewarded for your bravery in attempting a 10+ to stand  ;)

this fits under the umbrella of can't flip only one arm and can only prop and fire if you have two arms. sometimes the absurdity makes for memorable games... though odds are you'll kill yourself trying to stand before you have a chance to imitate the black knight

and for the record, the most absurd rule in battletech is that a motorized platoon towing seven light AC/2 can enter a building and move up the stairs to higher levels.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 17:30:57 »
The fact that a mech that is prone can't crawl forward a hex is what has always bothered me. 

Standing up with one leg is hard enough but when you pull it off you feel awesome.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 17:42:27 »
I appreciated the fact that my  armless and legless mercury was a viable asset on the battlefield.   Being in light woods on level 2 hill was an addition bonus. Or is that additional bonuses. (Technically I wanted to be carried like a football)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 18:17:53 »
The fact that a mech that is prone can't crawl forward a hex is what has always bothered me. 

Standing up with one leg is hard enough but when you pull it off you feel awesome.

Same here, y can't battletech crawl.
Another thing that always bothered me is that 'Mechs can't crouch, only go prone or stand. Like, crouching would be obvious way to gain stability and reduce stature while keeping nearly all weapons usable, unlike being prone.

I would assume these were omitted for sake of simplicity so long ago though. Like, prone is in because you can get knocked down, so it is using basically same rules but voluntarily. Crawling... well, i reckon people might've sacrificed speed to crawl everywhere, especially behind hills to avoid enemy fire.

I don't ever recall bothering to stand with one-legged 'Mech in BT, but i remember a computer game Titans of Steel where this was possible. 3% chance made it pretty epic, though the next shot knocked the titan down.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2018, 20:31:12 »
Actually, the "Hull Down" rule is basically the mech crouching. It also has the added bonus of making it so your battlemech can't fall down except in certain situations, such as losing your leg.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2018, 20:47:13 »

I guess another read-through through TacOps additional rules is in place. Mostly use the equipment rules...

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2018, 09:28:37 »
I see it as a significant difference between "leg destroyed" and "leg blown off".  In the former case, the joints are wrecked, nothing moves (or it moves freely whether you want it to or not), but the remains of the leg are still there, and you can put a ton or two of weight on it to help balance, even if it won't fully support you.  At that point, it's about the equivalent to the classic "mummy" walk: step, drag, step, drag....

In the "blown off" case, the 'Mech is now reduced to "pogo stick" movement, and should probably take a piloting skill roll each turn that it moves at all, although possibly with only a +1 modifier, not with the full +4 "leg destroyed" modifier.  In essence, you're making a series of tiny hops, not a giant one-hex leap on one leg, but there's not much margin for error in balancing.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 18:23:57 »
I do love the idea of mummies in the BTU. 
They did zombies already why not other monsters? 

Still the idea of a mech limping along like a mummy makes me laugh. 
I can see a tech who has to replace legs often enough wrapping a mech up in bandages for a prank.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2018, 06:56:52 »

Or roll over onto their back and then 'sit up'..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2018, 22:20:26 »
I see it as a significant difference between "leg destroyed" and "leg blown off".  In the former case, the joints are wrecked, nothing moves (or it moves freely whether you want it to or not), but the remains of the leg are still there, and you can put a ton or two of weight on it to help balance, even if it won't fully support you.  At that point, it's about the equivalent to the classic "mummy" walk: step, drag, step, drag....

That's what a hip crit does.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman