Author Topic: What's the Wulfen Prime's .5 ton of cargo space for?  (Read 2733 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
As the title states, I'm trying to figure out why it's got that half ton of cargo instead of, well, anything else.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What's the Wulfen Prime's .5 ton of cargo space for?
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2018, 21:00:01 »
In-universe, the Prime might find use as courier. It is fast and stealthy, quite good fit for transporting important stuff that can't be entrusted to lesser things (and assuming air transporting is not possible for whatever reason).

In real life, i assume it is to keep the design pure. As it is, the intend is to use the UAC/2 and ATM-3 ER missiles for long range plinking. CASE II is used, heat is not an issue, light active probe doesn't work with stealth, light TAG doesn't fit its mission profile, an ER small laser would mar its simplicity, so what else to do but add cargo space?

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2018, 21:40:19 »
Mainly so it matches the MW:AoD Clix figure.
I have spoken.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2018, 21:59:41 »
Mainly so it matches the MW:AoD Clix figure.
The D configuration actually matches that one more accurately, minus the Narc beacon that doesn't fit in.
There's some build history for this one in the Wulfen MOTW article.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2018, 22:12:51 »
Timbiqui Dark

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2018, 22:33:26 »
Not Glengarry Reserve?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2018, 02:02:06 »
for LLRP duty. you can stick a couple week's worth of MRE's, camping gear, changes of clothes, all sorts of stuff you'd want for a long term deployment away from base pulling recon and/or special ops.

you could also use it to carry supplies (like spare power packs and ammo magazines) for an attached unit of infantry or battle armor on shorter term missions.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 02:05:22 by glitterboy2098 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2018, 02:04:16 »
for LLRP duty. you can stick a couple week's worth of MRE's, camping gear, changes of clothes, all sorts of stuff you'd want for a long term deployment away from base pulling recon and/or special ops.

That's fine for an IS mech, but assigning a Clanner to do any of those would probably result in an immediate Trial of Grievance.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 02:06:43 »
the crusader wolves aren't exactly traditional anymore. remember it is a post-jihad design from the late republic/dark ages era.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 11:36:06 »
isn't it obvious? it's to hide bodies.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 13:06:12 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ramrod_Rodrick

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2018, 17:34:08 »
It is for the 1000 pound, shock proof fusion powered refrigerator to keep your timbiqui dark cold!

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2018, 18:27:13 »
Stick a small explosive and a Lot of confetti and streamers in it to use as a decoy of you're getting shot at?
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2018, 14:33:53 »
Well, since it's a Wolf Empire exclusive maybe it's a closet to hold dress uniforms to impress LCAF officers.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Straw Boss

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2018, 16:12:00 »
Well, since it's a Wolf Empire exclusive maybe it's a closet to hold dress uniforms to impress LCAF officers.

Snap  :clap:
Rule #1 : Never get into a fair fight.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2018, 22:48:19 »

you could also use it to carry supplies (like spare power packs and ammo magazines) for an attached unit of infantry or battle armor on shorter term missions.

Thats.. actually a really good idea.  I may start putting a half ton of cargo on recon mechs to represent not just stowage/supplies, but other QOL improvements.  Kinda the reverse of the ‘small cockpit’

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2018, 05:59:43 »
I'd imagine that carrying infantry equipment would be possible. I remember in the novel Test of Vengeance that Elemental Trinity Commander order his Mechs to open up the Infantry storage so his Elementals could go into base that was too narrow for Battle Armor.  It was essentially regular soldier uniforms.  The regular fire arms were detached from the Elementals' suits. I think the potential gear the troops have won't even add up to 100 pounds if it's not guns and maybe helmets. 

Maybe something more substantial like powerful com equipment and too, with survival gear.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register