Author Topic: Any More New Artwork Incoming?  (Read 5680 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Any More New Artwork Incoming?
« on: 12 October 2018, 11:49:41 »
Our new art director, Anthony Scroggins, has remade many of the classics, some of which were included in Combat Manuals Mercs and Kurita, and the First and Second Succession Wars Sourcebooks.

I was wondering if there were any plans for Mr. Scroggins to continue his work reissuing classic mechs, like the Crusader, Ostsol, Ostroc, and perhaps the Quickdraw?

Best Regards,

Mad

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: Any More New Artwork Incoming?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2018, 11:56:57 »
There's been little movement with this game for nearly half a decade. I think we should be patient and wait to see if Catalyst is successful with the new box sets before they start doing anything else. If Catalyst can manage this and it turns into a success, I believe we would start to see some new artwork for old designs.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2018, 12:27:14 »
Only new art work was in Shattered Fortress, Combat Manuals, and of course the Succession Wars books.

There been steady stream of fan-funded art for Battletech for the CGL artists keep busy. I still weep a little at that , since their not canon.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2018, 20:30:24 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2018, 19:38:09 »
Prior year was rough for CGL and all the current attentions seems to be focus on finally finishing Il Clan and getting the new Boxes of the boat and on the selves.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2018, 01:09:54 »
Prior year was rough for CGL and all the current attentions seems to be focus on finally finishing Il Clan and getting the new Boxes of the boat and on the selves.

And TRO Golden Century (https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=62724.0), which contains never seen before designs, which probably means new artwork. And other projects I'm not allowed to talk about.
CGL is working on more than just ilClan and the boxed sets, but they have taken up a lot of attention, yes. They are not all, though. Things are moving.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2018, 13:01:22 »
I honestly forgot TRO:GC was back on the upcoming releases list :)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2018, 13:21:01 »
I honestly forgot TRO:GC was back on the upcoming releases list :)
It isn't listed there, unless the page just hasn't been updated. TRO: Clan Invasion is though, but that is separate from TRO: Golden Century.
Though it seems TRO: GC is probably next year, so it isn't like it needs to be on coming releases page right now.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2018, 18:57:33 »
Our new art director, Anthony Scroggins, has remade many of the classics, some of which were included in Combat Manuals Mercs and Kurita, and the First and Second Succession Wars Sourcebooks.

I was wondering if there were any plans for Mr. Scroggins to continue his work reissuing classic mechs, like the Crusader, Ostsol, Ostroc, and perhaps the Quickdraw?

Best Regards,

Mad
Crusader might be possible, as it is an Unseen that hasn't gotten new art yet. Ost series is not unseen so probably wouldn't get new art. same for the quickdraw.

personally i would like to see the non-Mk.1 version LAM's get new art that fits the fluff that they were meant to resemble the standard P-hawk, Wasp, and Stinger mechs.. so basically, new art where they resemble the Classics renditions while in mech mode.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2018, 12:21:14 »
...means new artwork. And other projects I'm not allowed to talk about.
We shall see about that... Cardinal Fang! Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR! Now -- you will stay in the Comfy Chair until lunch time, with only a cup of coffee at eleven.

(Cardinal Biggles, is that really all it is?)

CGL is working on more than just ilClan and the boxed sets, but they have taken up a lot of attention, yes. They are not all, though. Things are moving.

Good to hear!  :thumbsup:

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2018, 07:39:26 »
Good to hear!  :thumbsup:

Did you really think they were doing nothing else? You always have to start working on the next products, before the current one is released. Otherwise you have huge waiting times between products.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2018, 07:55:32 »
Did you really think they were doing nothing else?

Fortnite tournaments

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 16 October 2018, 08:07:19 »
Fortnite tournaments

I am happy to announce that the CGL writer team is currently ranked 3150th on the world wide ranking.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 16 October 2018, 14:25:42 »
Otherwise you have huge waiting times between products.

Er......  ::)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2018, 14:26:27 »
I think the implication is "huger".

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2018, 23:07:26 »
What is a longer wait?

Like waiting in line at a local coffee house for hours and all you wanted was a cup of water!

On a hot day even.

:)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2018, 01:28:40 »
I think the implication is "huger".

No. You guys confuse the phase were we didn't have an LD and how things worked back when we had one. The new LD and ALD and putting their ducks in a row and are, once again, planing ahead, which means have multiple products in the works to create a regular production flow. Between LDs that wasn't the case, at least not in a regular fashion and when a new LD starts, he has to take a look at things and start the process anew to fit his plans for the universe. So the first phase of a new LD is not sudden product influx, but a restart of the production process, which takes time but will pay off in the end with a regular (more or less, there are always hiccups) product release.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2018, 07:39:25 »
Assuming the goal isn’t less product.  D&D took a less is more approach with 5th edition and it worked well for them.
I have no idea if that’s a goal for BattleTech right now. It certainly has been, so far, to focus on some core needs rather than smaller, niche, products even if it means less releases. But I don’t know if that’s an overall goal or just a by-product so far of restarting the production process like DarkIsi says.
There are certainly plenty of products being worked on, so my guess would be more of settling in on the process but I’m not sure if/how/when that might mean a more regular release
Schedule.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2018, 08:24:19 »
No. You guys confuse the phase were we didn't have an LD and how things worked back when we had one. The new LD and ALD and putting their ducks in a row and are, once again, planing ahead, which means have multiple products in the works to create a regular production flow. Between LDs that wasn't the case, at least not in a regular fashion and when a new LD starts, he has to take a look at things and start the process anew to fit his plans for the universe. So the first phase of a new LD is not sudden product influx, but a restart of the production process, which takes time but will pay off in the end with a regular (more or less, there are always hiccups) product release.

I thought we've had a new LD for well over a year now?  ???

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2018, 15:19:54 »

Best Regards,

Mad
Yes, new artwork will be the trend.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2018, 15:27:03 »
Yes, new artwork will be the trend.

Thank you for the response!  That is fantastic news indeed!

Seeing more new artwork with ACS underneath it makes me happy.

Best,

Mad

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2018, 15:58:34 »
Wait, trend for the classics, or basically anything that may need new art?
Wondering because i'd rather not read too much into that statement.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2018, 17:59:24 »
I don’t understand the two options in your question.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2018, 18:01:59 »
Rehash of the classics or brand new 3150+ pics of new stuff.

I'd throw in re-makes of Aero including WS, JS and DS.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2018, 18:19:13 »
I don’t understand the two options in your question.

He's attempting to clarify whether the goal is only focusing on presenting new Classics designs, or if the focus on art includes new versions of other, non-Classics units.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2018, 18:40:38 »
He's attempting to clarify whether the goal is only focusing on presenting new Classics designs, or if the focus on art includes new versions of other, non-Classics units.
Yes, this is what i meant.

I could've been more clear to be sure.

I wonder because the previous stance seemed to be "classics only, then we might see about other stuff but we don't promise anything at all and people shouldn't expect anything".

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2018, 00:16:59 »
I thought we've had a new LD for well over a year now?  ???

And that is why you see new products coming out and why we are working on multiple other products in the background that will be released later.
But producing a new product isn't something that is done in a week or a month. Writers need time, otherwise they produce crap. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
Artists need time to draw, otherwise they produce crap.
Editing takes time. Otherwise the editors produce crap.
Layout takes time. Otherwise ...
You see where this is going. Every step in product development takes time. Even more so, if you have a universe filled with as many background information as BT. You cannot snap your fingers and make a finished product appear out of thin air.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #26 on: 18 October 2018, 05:06:24 »
I'm very glad things are moving forward. To me it seemed like it all grinded to a halt.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2018, 07:40:38 »
Artists need time to draw, otherwise they produce crap.
Editing takes time. Otherwise the editors produce crap.
Layout takes time. Otherwise ...

I like the cut of your jib there... as everyone knows that layout designers never produce crap and I'm glad to see you admitting it. It's always the fault of the artists or writers not being on point with their own stuff and all these changes... sigh....

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2018, 08:19:13 »

I like the cut of your jib there... as everyone knows that layout designers never produce crap and I'm glad to see you admitting it. It's always the fault of the artists or writers not being on point with their own stuff and all these changes... sigh....
I feel like you missed the rest of the post after what you quoted. It seemed to encompass every stage in development, not single out a few.

(I could be misinterpreting your "sigh".)
« Last Edit: 18 October 2018, 08:23:32 by Cache »

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2018, 09:13:19 »
I believe he’s a fellow layout designer, and lamenting how little respect/appreciating/understanding there is for what we do by the other people in the process. Like how long it takes, especially dependent on what we’re given to work with, and the amount of editing post-layout to the material that some people think is acceptable.

Just recently I was given something, *no* notice, in the evening, to go out that evening, with the understanding that all that was required was, I’m quoting, “put a bow on it.” I declined and it was given to a colleague. Nearly a week later it’s still being worked on, changes and new material is still coming in, and every day is ‘for real the last day it absolutely most go.’ Heh.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register