Author Topic: 45 Ton Clan Omni's & Speed  (Read 1829 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
45 Ton Clan Omni's & Speed
« on: 21 October 2018, 19:09:32 »
Hello All, 

I'm wonder what you feel is the best/worst speed of the 45 Ton Omni-Trio.

1.  Grendel at 7-11-7
2.  Ice Ferret at 8-12-0
3.  Shadow Cat at 6-9(12)-6

For me none of them is "ideal" for the chassis but I favor the Grendel out of the 3.

The real question is, what comes in 2nd/3rd.

I'm not sure if I like 8/12 raw guaranteed speed better v/s 6/12MASC with Jumpjets.

Mind you now,  I'm ONLY comparing speeds.

The chassis, armor, pod space, etc etc is all NOT in consideration.

I'm just looking at which speed/mobility is the best, or actually, the worst.

Thoughts?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: 45 Ton Clan Omni's & Speed
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2018, 19:36:50 »
I don't think there's a right answer based on speed alone. I mean, considering no other factors at all, why would you choose anything but the greatest speed?

Depends on your role, what you want of the mech. What you're deploying it with, too. 7/11 and 6/9 are easier to find friends who move the same speed. at the same weight, lesser speed means larger possible warload. If you're looking for a battlearmor carrier, a preponderance of arm-mounted weapons is a bonus. and all of that is without considering factions.

Hard to answer in a vacuum.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2018, 19:38:00 »
7-11-7. Is solid being the next movement bonus from 5-8-5 also a pain to deal with sans pulse lasers.  However, I prefer the Shadow Cat/Phoenix Hawk 6-9-6 as it allows turns and more podspace

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2018, 07:16:49 »
6/9 ignores the Stormcrow in the room.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2018, 07:34:03 »
Speed is determined by role.

If you know what job(s) you want the mech to do, you know how fast it needs to go.

Once you know the role intended and speed, you can usually solve for ideal tonnage (assuming that a larger mission payload makes it better at the role it is to fill - almost but not always the case)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2018, 09:13:06 »
Yeah . . . the Ice Ferret at 8/12 and 1 long range big gun was designed to hunt down lights or flank heavier forces.  Its why one the Prime & A you have a ERPPC or ERLL- its faster than Kit Foxes (JF) and Mist Lynx (SJ) and the ERPPC or ERLL will punch through (or nearly) on side torsos or legs.  It might even be argued that the Arctic Cheetah was built to be able to at least keep speed with the Ice Ferret so the Hellions could keep their distance from their lost design . . . and then the Jags snagged it for the same reason.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2018, 07:19:13 »
You can't really decouple the movement curve from the available pod space.

Case in point, I also would take the Grendel as first choice, but my second choice would be the Shadowcat, since I like jump jets in general and favour being able to jump out of a bad situation, which the Ice Ferret is not able to do. Plus, the Shadowcat can match the running speed of the Ice Ferret for a short time if needed, thanks to the MASC... and you don't usually need more than one turn of active MASC to get into position or out of dodge at these speeds. The lower base speed gives it more podspace to play with and usually a bigger punch than the Ice Ferret.

But if we are talking about more(or rather less ;D) than just 45 tonners, I'd take the Viper(Dragonfly) over any of them in a heartbeat. Imho it is an Ice Ferret done right, at only 40 tons no less! ^-^
It pays for that in BV however, compared to the Ice Ferret. Most of it's configs are quite a bit higher in BV than those of the Ice Ferret, and come close to the Grendel's BV.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2018, 07:28:32 by SD501st »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2018, 10:09:32 »
The reason it has that BV is IIRC the JJ are fixed- which is something that sucks when it comes time for IJJ (8/12/11 can you hear the screaming?) but is a plus for those that never went the Cougar/Turkina route.  Not sure what sort of weapons load you could put on a jump-equipped Ice Ferret (no HMP right now), but it could be a dedicated scout.

You bring up the Shadow Cat, but again as Jellico says you forget the Stormcrow- why not go with that?  Or a Linebacker even for more durability?  Both can divert some of their pod space to JJ and a SC to match the movement profile of the Cat but have superior armor let alone more IS.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2018, 11:46:24 »
The reason it has that BV is IIRC the JJ are fixed- which is something that sucks when it comes time for IJJ (8/12/11 can you hear the screaming?)

Screaming from the pilot because of his 1.5 tons of weapons?  :o

I'll echo Steve, it can't be looked at in a vacuum because speed costs tonnage and possibly crit space.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register