Author Topic: Faction Architectural Styles  (Read 4795 times)

Rainsford

• Recruit
Faction Architectural Styles
« on: 20 December 2018, 08:19:56 »
As I am beginning to work on terrain, I’m wondering if there is any of the lore that describes different architectural styles for different factions. I’m currently putting together the Z scale paper Christmas village linked in the paper buildings topic, and adding some pipes and other sci-fi details to get a nice steampunk look. Added some blue & white banners to the HQ-looking school building, and now “Steinerburg” is nearing completion. I’ll post pictures over inthe terrain sub when I get a chance.

I remember reading a blurb somewhere about Baroque architectural style (think it was in the Englesmond PDF) and would think the different sectors on Solaris would exhibit variation similar to big cities with cultural neighborhoods. There was also a piece of art in my old Fanpro box set rules that showed two mechs battling in what looked like 19th century European brick row houses with big satellite dishes on top, hence what I’m doing with Steinerburg.

Making “Kuritamura” is easy, since Japanese Z scale exists (and my Shinkansen needs some scenery anyway). But I’m drawing a blank for how to distinguish Davionville and Mariktown. Any ideas? Anything in the fluff I haven’t come across yet? I’m planning on using the typical glass office block type buildings as the universal constant.

My day job is in historic preservation architecture, in case anyone wonders why I care about this detail.

Phalanx

• Corporal
Re: Faction Architectural Styles
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2018, 09:09:23 »
Davionville:New Avalon was directly Governed by the Terran Alliance as a colony, so the traditional architecture would be influenced by Modern Europe(20th-21st Century).

Mariktown: I would imagine a place with NO zoning laws, with the primary styles being Greco-Roman, Indian, and Amercian Southwest. So perhaps make it look a disjointed  "Wild West" town with a greco-roman style building for city hall, and a buddhist temple.

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2018, 11:24:37 »
Its fun details . . . and I am trying it a bit for my terrain too!  I have a wooden Japanese temple puzzle that will look great, and I use the CubicFun 3D too- in fact they were a big chunk of my Christmas list this year.

So IMO . . . yeah, Davion urban will look like modern London buildings or some of the more spectacular buildings in SE Asia like Singapore & Hong Kong.

For the Mariks . . . well, we have a few books in the MWDA series that give you a look at what the buildings look like.  One where the Spirit Cats are fighting on Marik against the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth which describes the buildings as heavy brick structures- buildings on Marik have to be built to withstand the heavy wind/tornado conditions.  Another covers the capital on Atreus, which to be sounded rather rocco neo-Classical but had been abandoned after the collapse of the League.  Its a interesting story IMO and I sort of get what they were reaching for in that section.  Finally we get some description of the buildings on Regulus and IIRC its Palace of Mirrors, very India/Thailand/Malaysia sounding.

Marik-

Atreus- one of the CubicFun 3D puzzles is appropriately sized for this building even.  I think its worktroll who has a picture of one laid out with mechs

Regulus
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rainsford

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2018, 23:30:57 »
I neglected Liao in my list, mainly as I couldn’t come up with a cheeky name for it...Maximiliangrad maybe...

I’m imagining Liao cities looking Eurasian with lots of Soviet-style concrete apartment blocks and the occasional Chinese-influenced building of some kind.

I already have a start on some of the Southwest mishmash for Mariktown, as I quickly made some modular adobes out of 1/2” foam core.

Is there anything I’m missing about Steiner? I’m guessing in some ways they would be as advanced as Davion, but wrapped in a more traditional package. (A throne room with two Griffins standing guard conjures medieval imagery...)

Same goes for Kurita, although everything I’ve read about them so far screams traditional feudal Japan, but with mechs.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2018, 00:10:23 »
actually in the novels, kurita architecture is more 'skyline of anime tokyo' and less Akira Kurosawa.. there are more ancient looking buildings, but they tend to be islands of traditionalism in cities that have more in common with Bubblegun Crisis or Blade Runner.
not unlike how if you go to japan IRL you will find traditional shrines, gardens, and even the occasional castle preserved and surrounded by modern apartment complexes, shopping centers, and skyscrapers.

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2018, 02:16:14 »
 IIRC New Avalon was originally founded as a Medieval European Theme Park. There may well be castle themed bits of architecture around.

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2018, 04:19:08 »
It a very interesting question. The boring answer is that it will most likely just vary from planet to planet, but perhaps there might be some common themes within each nation.

Lyran Commonwealth: I imagine a mix of modern/futuristic business buildings, like large office buildings with glass facades and such, mixed with a lot of drab looking apartment blocks for the less fortunate, and of course a few large, very monumental buildings made as a prestige project for some noble who wanted to show his opulence. For the latter, I am thinking some sort of Neo-Baroque architecture, though perhaps some with some German-gothic designs mixed in as well.

Federated Suns: Not that far from the Lyran Commonwealth described above. Lots of modern/futuristic buildings. I imagine their apartment blocks have a little more flair though, perhaps a little more brick than concrete, as to look a little more traditional. As for their monuments…I’m thinking more medieval inspired, perhaps with some ramparts even for show, so the nobles can entertain the idea of being glorious knights protecting their lands (Something that actually has been happening in real life as far back as the late medieval period, making castles in an older style to invoke an image).

Free Worlds League: Now this one is a little tougher, as the FWL mostly invokes a mental image of a melting pot of different styles, like described by Phalanx. One part of town inspired by Spanish villas, another has an opulent Indian style palace, and even apartment blocks would show some cultural flair, like sparse decoration of various types. I think the thought that it varies by planet is perhaps even truer for the FWL than the others.

Draconis Combine: Once again, a mix of the futuristic and very traditional Japanese is in order. In one end of town you might see apartment buildings mostly built for function; while downtown might be a futuristic spectacle of neon lights and buildings, showing off technology and new architecture forms. In the other end of town you might then have a much more traditional looking part, with Japanese gardens and everything. This is perhaps where the power elite live, as they pick the traditional Japanese style to ground them culturally and give legitimacy to their rule.

Capellan Confederation: Your stereotypical Capellan city would likely be divided into rather different neighbourhoods, as each of the castes tend to gather in areas, even though they’re perhaps not limited to that. Their apartment blocks would likely be drab concrete, built for function, something that would likely dominate much of the city. As for the more upscale parts, one might simply see more decorated, comfortable looking buildings, to more business oriented buildings for the supporter caste. I think one might see buildings inspired by traditional Chinese architecture on both lower and higher levels. For the higher end, they have the resources to show off a little more, but I also imagine the artist caste trying to pick buildings that are more inspiring creatively, and it is amusing to think the streets of downtown being decorated in such a way, much more lively then the outer neighbourhoods.

And while no one asked for it….the Clans: This one is easy for the most part…ugly concrete monstrosities that draw more inspiration from bunkers than anything comfortable. In the occupation zones, these blocks were likely plonked down right next to more traditional buildings with no regard to aesthetics what so ever.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2018, 04:48:03 »
The clans are the space commies, so yep, stalinist architecture.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2018, 15:03:14 »
One aspect I'd expect in Marik cities would be partially completed buildings for tax purposes.  Swathes of modern day Europe have tax exemptions for property under construction, and some constituencies don't put a time limit on them.  The results are often hilarious.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2018, 09:12:11 »
It’s the early 80s, so there should be lots of Brutalist architecture everywhere.  It’s present in most of the early game books, if you look.  Think Le Corbusier running wild.  Lots of empty, wind-swept plazas, and odd geometric designs in concrete.

That’s probably going to be the case for all of the factions.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2018, 21:50:25 »
To be honest, I would hope the FedSuns would favor a style similar to Edinburgh, but maybe with modern materials.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2018, 23:54:10 »
for the capellans, they started as more russian than chinese. their newer stuff would be more classical chinese feel, due to Sun Tzu's reforms, but their older stuff should be a mix of russian/soviet and various south east asian styles.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2019, 07:27:46 »
My short mental images are:

Lyran Commonwealth: Gleaming skyscrapers, bright lights, wide pavements. Big, impressive, symmetrical, clean lines, usually well-looked after. They are probably the ones who look the most like generic-sci-fi-future, so to speak. I could easily imagine a Lyran city looking like this: advanced, busy, industrial, covered with lights.

Draconis Combine: Three-quarters of the city is a horrible, smog-filled Blade-Runner-esque nightmare. Narrow roads, neon lights, people crammed into tiny square apartments with only a few basic amenities. The remaining quarter of the city is a luxurious noble district, aesthetically modelled on Tokugawa Japan with with modern technology seamlessly and silently integrated. (This impression may be entirely based on Luthien.)

Federated Suns: Cities are probably quite sprawling, since everyone likes a lot of space; I imagine lots of roads, car cultures, and heavy regionalisation. They don't go for giant metropoleis so much as lots of smaller cities networked together, and they like the countryside between them. Architecture features a lot of local flourishes, and faux-retro styles are often common. The 'high Davion' style is probably faux-medieval, with ornamental ramparts, spires, and gratuitous flags, but I don't think that's the rule everywhere.

Capellan Confederation: Not quite concrete blocks everywhere, but you can see the influence. Upscale districts are probably quite advanced, while poorer areas are less so - but they're all generally quite clean and don't have much urban decay, because the Confederation's strong ethic of public service. The Capellans seem like the sorts of people who'd taken broken windows theory to a high level. Recent constructions tend to deliberately evoke traditional Chinese architecture (or at least, what 31st century people think looks Chinese; I'm sure they wildly blend together different eras), and some older beings have been renovated appropriately. In wealthy areas it can be quite beautiful, but in poorer regions, the effect can be very chintzy.

Free Worlds League: My picture of the Free Worlds League is very Mediterranean, but that's probably only some regions. Diversity is probably the key here: not so much Davion-style local flair as what you get from a dozen different cultures of highly diverse origins, all of which rather dislike each other, living in close proximity for centuries. I imagine lots of architectural choices made to differentiate your district from that of the next people over; no one wants to be confused with them!

Clans: Concrete blocks. Decorations are for the weak.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2019, 00:41:10 »
The clans are the space commies, so yep, stalinist architecture.

Clans: Concrete blocks. Decorations are for the weak.

Clan architectural style is noted as being 'utilitarian' for most part, as one would expect. But special buildings like the Hall of Khans on Strana Mechty and various Bloodname chapels are more colorful and awe-inspiring. The Hall of Khans is described as magnificently large and built 'gothic style' overall, while each Clan's quarters within the complex reflect their own architectural preferences. Strana Mechty is a mix of styles, other worlds tend to be more uniform (Marshall I'd imagine is an exception, hosting at least six Clans at any one time).

So if you were designing Clan buildings, you could easily have an architectural wonder or two as the centre of an urban area, contrasting nicely with a mass of utilitarian buildings all around. The latter could be concrete blocks, as others have mentioned, but 'utilitarian' could also cover the use of more plentiful building materials. For example, if concrete was scarce on one world it might be reserved for warrior caste barracks or armories, while civilians are housed in wooden, adobe or brick dwellings.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2019, 21:51:21 »
I figure the Clans have a bunch of quonset huts, Soviet block apartments, and huge grand Nazi-esque government buildings.

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2019, 09:48:03 »
I think the novel "A Rending of Falcons" had some comments on Clan architecture, mentioning that there had been made no effort to make the newer buildings fit with the style of the older cities they had conquered.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2019, 06:13:20 »
Straight from the hell's horse's mouth, one might say...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2019/01/19/from-my-battletech-archives-the-planning-documents-for-twilight-of-the-clans-part-ii/

Page 10 of the Twilight of the Clans document: "In general, Clan settlements are utilitarian and spartan. Grey and unpleasant, dwellings and businesses stand in stark contrast to the massive monuments the Clans build to fallen warriors and Clan totems. These fantastic structures are huge tools of propaganda, reinforcing the might of the Clans to all who see them. In addition to monuments, Clan Council halls and other 'government' buildings are stylized and impressive.
Each Clan has a different style or motif to their buildings, making each unique in flavor. These styles were deliberately chosen back when the Clans were born, allowing them to be historic or fantastic, depending on the character of the Clan in question."
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2019, 09:46:53 »
Since the Wolves have Kerensky’s genetic legacy, I’d imagine they have Russian style buildings.  I’m thinking the Kremlin and Red Square.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2019, 10:38:42 »
I am not sure I would agree with that . . . look at the Kerensky blood chapel.  Yeah, its a mega- monolithic structure.  A large clean imposing structure.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2019, 14:38:24 »
I think Liaoville should take its tenor from Pyongyang ... brutalist official monuments, sparsely decorated but maintained housing blocks, well-organised spontaneous rallies ...

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

massey

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2019, 15:16:51 »
Since Battletech is the future of the 80s, I think the cities all need a heavy dose of brutalist architechture.  Meaning lots and lots of exposed concrete.  This stuff was really popular in the 60s and 70s, and "the future" in the 80s just meant a run down version of that.  I think some of the early CityTech art had some brutalist buildings pictured.

Plus they look like they're really damn durable.  I could totally see a Battlemech landing on one of these and not falling through the roof.

I think these should make up at least 50% of any city in Battletech.  It's the backdrop of a generic big city.  From there, we add local flair.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2019, 17:36:42 »
Now, for Davion, let's throw in some pseudo-futuristic medieval symbology.  The Federated Suns is pretty militaristic, so I think that will be reflected in the homes of their nobility.

Davion really sells the whole feudal mindset, loyalty to the crown and all that stuff.  I think their architecture will consciously reflect that.  This wouldn't be in the functional, everyday parts of the city.  It would be where the extravagantly wealthy live.  Dukes and other nobles.  They would be surrounded by manicured gardens and scenic countryside, but would still serve a military purpose.  Their castles are still really castles.

The wealthier parts of town (but still common folk) may resemble parts of London or Paris. 

Whole cities wouldn't look like this.  These areas would probably be smaller neighborhoods crammed between the previously seen brutalist works.  Relatively high population density compared to the modern US, but not nearly as crammed as Kuritan or Laio space.

The bulk of the Davion population though, probably lives out in the sticks.  As I recall, they've got a huge number of underdeveloped worlds.  The Davion "Outback" they call it.  The ideal would be quaint little English villages.

Note that last picture has a dirt road.

But that's the ideal.  In the Succession Wars, and with many of the less than desirable climates of Davion Outback worlds, you're probably going to get a lot of places that look like Old West ghost towns.

or Barrow, Alaska

Think "cheapest construction available" and "totally falling apart".  The Federated Suns is supposed to have the highest disparity between wealthy planets and poor.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2019, 21:09:46 »
Citing the American West but not the actual Outback?

You get the idea - long expanses of nowhere, slanted tin roofs, sky rolling on forever, the occasional bit of dilapidation. Small towns might be more connected by air than by ground vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Davion equivalent of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 22 January 2019, 21:19:57 »
Citing the American West but not the actual Outback?

You get the idea - long expanses of nowhere, slanted tin roofs, sky rolling on forever, the occasional bit of dilapidation.
Small towns might be more connected by air than by ground vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Davion equivalent of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

I’ve been to the American Southwest.  My only experience with Australia is Mad Max and Welcome to Woop Woop.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 24 January 2019, 01:58:07 »
It's okay, I'm just being the cranky token Australian.  ;)

Though I admit to frequently being a little miffed by 'Davion = America' stereotypes.

AldanFerrox

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 24 January 2019, 02:23:46 »
I think the architectural style of a planet also really depends on the people who settled a planet. The worlds of the former United Hindu Collective that is now part of the Federated Suns (Panpour, Islamabad, Basantapur) probably have at least some degree of Indian style in their architecture (like places of worship for example, or replicas of famous Indian buildings).
« Last Edit: 25 January 2019, 09:07:24 by AldanFerrox »
Only in death duty ends

massey

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 24 January 2019, 12:10:04 »
It's okay, I'm just being the cranky token Australian.  ;)

Though I admit to frequently being a little miffed by 'Davion = America' stereotypes.

I tried to keep their architecture more French and English inspired, but yeah I think Davion is frequently the America stand-in.  Probably more accurate to say they're the Anglosphere.

One thing I always want to include in Battletech is something I saw in cartoons as a kid.  You'd have the heroes flying around in space ships, and they have this cool futuristic base, but when they go out into the town nearby you've got peasants with horse drawn wagons and no electricity.  I always liked that contrast.  Like this planet can have a guy with a robot arm, and the village elder has a holo-screen in his house that communicates with starships, but they have dirt roads and still get their water from a well.  I figure the Davion Outback is a good place to have things like that happen.

Gravedigger

• Freelance Writer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 24 January 2019, 14:36:00 »
I think the architectural style of a planet also really depends on the people who settled a planet. The worlds of the former United Hindu Collective that is now part of the Federated Suns (Panpour, Islamabad, Basantapur) probably have at least some degree of Indian style in their architecture (like place worship for example, or replicas of famous Indian buildings).
You can read Touring the Stars: Sherwood for an in-depth description of the architectural style of that world.
But you are correct. Settlers, terrain, if the planet needed terraforming or not, odd ball ideas taking root in early years, etc... all can affect what a planets buildings look like.
Aaron "Gravedigger" Pollyea

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2019, 04:45:11 »
I tried to keep their architecture more French and English inspired, but yeah I think Davion is frequently the America stand-in.  Probably more accurate to say they're the Anglosphere.

French and Spanish are common first languages in the Suns as well, so I'd tend to say more Western Europe as a whole. If there has to be a Space America, I'd associate it more with the Hegemony.

But there is certainly a history of the Suns being written as the audience-identification faction by American authors, so it tended to slide into America-by-default.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #29 on: 28 January 2019, 19:25:12 »
I try to keep in mind this is THE FUTURE!!!  ;D and that buildings in the civilized core worlds will be likewise, futuristic.
Even the mad max type periphery worlds I see built on the bones of once far more advanced environments.
Your just not going to find min any Munich beer halls or Tudor revivalist apartment buildings. To my mind at least.  ;)