Author Topic: The *literally* Never-Seen  (Read 160889 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The *literally* Never-Seen
« Reply #480 on: 02 December 2019, 16:38:08 »
Lajos Adder- 12 ERML and jumps . . . so, light Nova?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #481 on: 02 December 2019, 17:02:28 »
Only with even less heat dissipation.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #482 on: 02 December 2019, 17:45:39 »
Yeah . . . 16t of pod space leaves 4t for JJ and DHS . . . so either jumping 4 or 6 means you get 2 or 1 extra DHS respectively.  I mean, 8 sounds reasonable . . . still throwing out max of 56 damage- nothing to sneeze at against IS lights or meds- get the full 6 jumping and another 10 head dissipation.  Run and fire it all will 'only' leave you with 12 overheat compared to . . .

Let's see, jumping 6 hexes and Alpha means . . . 66 heat, sinking 22 . . . so 44 overheat!  But 84 damage . . . enough to end most other early Clan lights.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #483 on: 02 December 2019, 18:19:16 »
Especially if you spent a round or two just firing 4 lasers beforehand.  The only light mechs in existence that can take more than two Clan ER Medium Lasers to a single location have either Hardened or Reflective Armor, and those are rare to begin with and not era appropriate for this machine.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #484 on: 02 December 2019, 18:28:22 »
Sounds like a death or glory machine.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #485 on: 02 December 2019, 19:25:16 »
Sounds like a death or glory machine.

It kinda makes sense. The pilot was injured and in no shape to fight, he would have had to either end the fight quickly or accept he was going to lose. To a clan mindset, even dying in a laser rave blaze of glory trying to win would have been preferable to simply giving up.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #486 on: 02 December 2019, 21:31:46 »
Isn't it basically a Hermes at that point?

Sans flamer
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #487 on: 09 December 2019, 14:16:21 »
Lajos Adder- 12 ERML and jumps . . . so, light Nova?

I would suggest rather that it was - or at least intended to be - a Nova but like several other units in the book, was simply given the wrong name.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #488 on: 09 December 2019, 15:26:54 »
The Florence AmbulanceMech

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Florence

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #489 on: 09 December 2019, 16:14:19 »
According to Era Digest: Dark Age, during Gray Monday one unspecified class A HPG station was attacked by a squad of battle armor of a design never seen before. No further info though.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #490 on: 09 December 2019, 19:19:40 »
Mobile HPG- supposedly used by not only ComStar and WoB, but also the Clans. I would suggest the Dragoons as well, since they had to report back some how, but I suspect that was done using a MHPG located on their resupply cache world and not one they hauled around.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hyperpulse_Generator
« Last Edit: 09 December 2019, 23:37:13 by HyperionCormyr »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #491 on: 10 December 2019, 07:48:51 »
Mobile HPG- supposedly used by not only ComStar and WoB, but also the Clans. I would suggest the Dragoons as well, since they had to report back some how, but I suspect that was done using a MHPG located on their resupply cache world and not one they hauled around.

I can see Comstar and WoB using them after the Clan Invasion, especially during the Jihad. The Clans, I'm not sure about. Definitely on their jumpships and warships but I'm not sure about other units. I don't see it as tech they'd actively use, even though they have access to it. There's no honor in using it. I don't see the Dragoons using it off their ships either. It would attract way too much attention. Plus the range is too short. More likely the jumpships moved to a predesignated spot and then sent a transmission to a Wolf ship who then took the message back to the home worlds.

Now this I can totally see happening, especially as a Comstar plot. It's so them!

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #492 on: 10 December 2019, 15:19:56 »
I can see Comstar and WoB using them after the Clan Invasion, especially during the Jihad. The Clans, I'm not sure about. Definitely on their jumpships and warships but I'm not sure about other units. I don't see it as tech they'd actively use, even though they have access to it. There's no honor in using it. I don't see the Dragoons using it off their ships either. It would attract way too much attention. Plus the range is too short. More likely the jumpships moved to a predesignated spot and then sent a transmission to a Wolf ship who then took the message back to the home worlds.

IIRC, there is a mention - somewhere - that the Clans rolled out a number of Mobile HPGs during Operation Scorpion.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #493 on: 10 December 2019, 16:22:14 »
The Society had a Septicemia variant with a HPG on it, but I don't quite understand how they weaponized it besides sending computer viruses.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #494 on: 10 December 2019, 16:24:32 »
It provides a local ECM blackout...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #495 on: 10 December 2019, 19:14:48 »
The Society had a Septicemia variant with a HPG on it, but I don't quite understand how they weaponized it besides sending computer viruses.

You call in reinforcements, while giving the other guy a busy signal ;)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #496 on: 10 December 2019, 22:44:19 »
A key plot point (such as it was) in the third MechAssault game was a bandit faction aligned with Hell's Horses, of all factions, trying to seize control of a defunct HPG so they could weaponize it along the lines of what was seen in the Null Set RPG adventure. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #497 on: 11 December 2019, 01:24:18 »
A key plot point (such as it was) in the third MechAssault game was a bandit faction aligned with Hell's Horses, of all factions, trying to seize control of a defunct HPG so they could weaponize it along the lines of what was seen in the Null Set RPG adventure.
But TPTB have been trying hard to ignore this into obscurity since (a bit like the Tetatae), because it runs counter to everything we know about HPG technology and its working principles.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #498 on: 11 December 2019, 01:26:59 »
There was a third Mechassault game?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #499 on: 11 December 2019, 01:43:21 »
There was a third Mechassault game?

Well, sort of? MechWarrior: The Phantom War was released on the Nintendo DS before MS Games started shelving allot of their properties.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechAssault:_Phantom_War

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #500 on: 11 December 2019, 01:53:10 »
Came across another reference that I had forgotten.

The SLDF Jumping-Crusader that the Liao-3L model was based on per TRO3039 variants fluff.

I'm guessing it was something like the 2R but with LRM10's & JJ's but who knows.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #501 on: 11 December 2019, 06:08:59 »
IIRC, there is a mention - somewhere - that the Clans rolled out a number of Mobile HPGs during Operation Scorpion.

What were they mounted on though? 

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #502 on: 11 December 2019, 08:01:55 »
Likely mobile, not ground-mobile versions.  So mounted on satellites (re-purposed relay satellites), WarShips, or the like.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #503 on: 11 December 2019, 08:52:46 »
Beachhead1985, the TRO Legends Website post has a link out to an archive of a site with many of the same thing you're looking for here. It was last updated in 2000 so quite a few have been filled in, but there may be some you're missing.

Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #504 on: 11 December 2019, 16:59:09 »
Likely mobile, not ground-mobile versions.  So mounted on satellites (re-purposed relay satellites), WarShips, or the like.

That's what I would think. That means it's not mechwarriors having to operate them but techs.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #505 on: 13 December 2019, 17:44:13 »
I don't see the No LL IntroTech Hussar on the list.

It was mentioned in 3025r IIRC.

Drops the LL for 2x ML & 3 tons of something (Armor?).

Not to be confused w/ the 350D that drops the engine to add 2x ML.

I'd still love to see a proper RS for that one.

Opened up my copy and cannot find that one. Were the MLs in the arms?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #506 on: 13 December 2019, 17:47:08 »
I would suggest rather that it was - or at least intended to be - a Nova but like several other units in the book, was simply given the wrong name.

But it is doable as an Adder. I know what you're talking about and I'd have loved to see that book edited in a new release to fix those errors.

However; with that much waste heat; is it not a suicide machine? Literally?

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #507 on: 13 December 2019, 17:48:03 »

The German Novels come through again...

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #508 on: 13 December 2019, 17:49:45 »
According to Era Digest: Dark Age, during Gray Monday one unspecified class A HPG station was attacked by a squad of battle armor of a design never seen before. No further info though.

And the Gray Monday storyline was never completed, correct? As in; it's never been explained, has it?

I think we have TROs from since then; But I read 3145, 3150 and the add-on PDFs and none of those BA were mentioned as involved in the Gray Monday attacks. By extension; that might reveal key plot info like who was behind it.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2019, 17:51:22 by beachhead1985 »

A.E. Housman

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #509 on: 13 December 2019, 17:53:50 »

Some gear basically demands a design built around it. Another is Cruise Missile Artillery; we have no bedrock, generic (wheeled?!) CM arty. I have made both as customs, but Mobile HPGs are mentioned so often that they almost must exist as distinct vehicles. I mean; you *could* carry them as cargo, but that is so much slower to bring in and out of action than a dedicated vehicle that it's nonsensical to not pay the piddling cost of a SV to carry them thing.

A.E. Housman

Register