Author Topic: Future Content?  (Read 2713 times)

RevengingHawks

• Recruit
Future Content?
« on: 02 November 2022, 18:02:21 »
Greetings! So I recently picked up MW: Destiny and have been having fun with it, but I noticed that aside from the 1 book (and some fan content) there doesn't seem to be anything else out there for it. Does anyone know if the game is just a one-and-done book or if there are any plans for future official content, whether that might take the form of adventures or expanded equipment/unit lists?   

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
Re: Future Content?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2022, 18:21:44 »
What we need is a Mechwarrior Destiny Companion.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2022, 19:36:26 »
There are some adventures in Shrapnel magazine issues.
Also you can take the A Time of War ones and use the overall narrative for a Destiny game.
As for other releases like "Destiny with Republic Era stuff" or the like, not sure.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

RevengingHawks

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2022, 20:24:07 »
Thanks for the answers!
Yeah I actually have some of the old, old 2nd edition MW modules that I'm cherry picking for stories content. I agree, a MW companion would be great, but sounds like there haven't been any actual announcements made for new books.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2022, 21:54:29 »
The newest sourcebooks also have a short section on integration with both sets of RPGs, Destiny and AToW
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Snorri

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2022, 07:02:37 »
I just bought the game yesterday! I'm also, say, pretty new to the BT universe at large. So, sorry if this has been talked about before, but, are there somewhere developed fan resources for the game? The first thing that came to my mind skimming through the book is the lack of a lot of mechs that, as far as I know, must be somehow converted from the boardgame sources. Any help? Thanks and cheers!

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2022, 08:38:52 »
I just bought the game yesterday! I'm also, say, pretty new to the BT universe at large. So, sorry if this has been talked about before, but, are there somewhere developed fan resources for the game? The first thing that came to my mind skimming through the book is the lack of a lot of mechs that, as far as I know, must be somehow converted from the boardgame sources. Any help? Thanks and cheers!
MegaMek Lab will give you the Classic stats to convert, and Sarna, though it does have a few inaccuracies being as it is a wiki, is a good whistle-stop tour of the lore.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2022, 10:20:25 »
What I would love to see is one or two short intro adventures that can be run in a session or two as PDF releases. I learn new systems faster if I can see them in action and get an idea how they're supposed to be run.
It also makes it easier for me and my group to just try it out without having to build an adventure from scratch. I get that the RPG side of BattleTech is far smaller than the tabletop side (both Classic and AS), thus making a steady (if slow) stream of official adventures unlikely. But it would make it easier for people to come to the franchise via a RPG. As it stands, it often feels like the current RPG rules are a nice add-on for people already invested in BattleTech.
Jude Melancon lives!

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2022, 14:00:54 »
I'm kinda on the opposite side of that spectrum: I'd rather see more mechanical content released for Destiny as opposed to published adventures. Whipping up adventures for my gaming table is exponentially easier and less of a hassle than having to convert existing tabletop equipment and designs into Destiny's ruleset. That said, though, I definitely feel like Destiny could use at least one publication (as in, not in Shrapnel, but an actual *book*) that had some pre-made adventures and/or possibly a pre-made campaign within it. Like you said, Gorgon, there's value in seeing a system in action to learn it.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2022, 19:11:11 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2022, 18:14:41 »
Yeah, rules to play Destiny in the current present would be great, I'm not gonna argue that. Ideally, we'd get both expanded rules and a set of short adventures set in the current present (or spread through out history, I'm not picky)

But I get why CGL is not focusing on the RPG side of the franchise right now. What with the kickstarter coming up.
Jude Melancon lives!

RevengingHawks

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2022, 14:08:01 »
I think any future content would be welcome, but my first priority would be to see 3050-3067 updates for the Inner Sphere (I know these can be upgraded by hand, and I've been doing it), but it'd be nice to see official rules on Inner Sphere pulse lasers, ER weapons, and the like.

koraq

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2023, 10:36:13 »
I think Destiny was a stretch goal from one of the earlier Kickstarters, so it was probably not released with a support plan. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that, as I has not been backing any crowdfunders.

There are some fan made documents online with more converted mechs, if you don't want to do them yourself. I have also enjoyed the scenario support in Shrapnel.

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2023, 20:13:16 »
I noticed that Destiny content has started showing up in Shrapnel issues.  That's great. 
Does the design team plan to support the RPG with other supplement books or published adventures? 
Or is the Shrapnel stuff it?

Thanks in advance,

Monty

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2023, 10:18:52 »
What I would love to see is one or two short intro adventures that can be run in a session or two as PDF releases. I learn new systems faster if I can see them in action and get an idea how they're supposed to be run.
It also makes it easier for me and my group to just try it out without having to build an adventure from scratch. I get that the RPG side of BattleTech is far smaller than the tabletop side (both Classic and AS), thus making a steady (if slow) stream of official adventures unlikely. But it would make it easier for people to come to the franchise via a RPG. As it stands, it often feels like the current RPG rules are a nice add-on for people already invested in BattleTech.

It's talk like this which was why Shrapnel issue 7 has an RPG adventure called One Last Favor, Old Friend. There's enough of a story and background as to why it's happening and enough flexibility so players don't get railroaded badly (i.e: "No this next part takes place in Mechs so find a way to get in your blasted robots! lol).

I'm kinda on the opposite side of that spectrum: I'd rather see more mechanical content released for Destiny as opposed to published adventures. Whipping up adventures for my gaming table is exponentially easier and less of a hassle than having to convert existing tabletop equipment and designs into Destiny's ruleset. That said, though, I definitely feel like Destiny could use at least one publication (as in, not in Shrapnel, but an actual *book*) that had some pre-made adventures and/or possibly a pre-made campaign within it. Like you said, Gorgon, there's value in seeing a system in action to learn it.

I think this is why there's various weapon articles in Shrapnel, I know most (maybe all) are A Time of War stats but conversion should be possible. So here's to those hopefully getting Destiny stats some day from the magazine officially.

Quite honestly, personal opinion and all, mileages will vary, take with table salt, etc but I don't see the RPG side getting a book on its own without some heavy add ons to it; thus why Shrapnel is the decent compromise to it. The other sourcebooks as well are decent with content in spots.

Herb puts out a few fun A Time of War seeds that can be used for Destiny: Necromo Nightmare, the Wolfeinstein parody, all of the Nebula Calfornia stuff for ideas, etc.

However the rest of us? The ones that haven't been here a quadrillion years? Shrapnel is probably going to be that vehicle for a while on ideas we have. Battletech's first focus is the boxed set for the Mechs. Vehicles are getting love because they contribute to fighting against Mechs. I mean look at how ridiculous the kickstarter zoomed up just in a few days.

Still the more esoteric stuff like aero or even RPG? For a while we didn't get much if anything because if it couldn't be in a sourcebook that moved with Mechs, it was good as gone. Shrapnel however gives us at least a voice for the RPG players and still manage to be economically viable enough to keep pumping issues. It's gone from "we'll try 4, because Kickstarter" to "Hey we made a 10th issue double sided because you keep throwing the money at us".

I think because Battletech was never really made as an RPG in mind first; we won't get RPG level detail on adventures like how Pathfinder or even old MW2 books went. Yet for what we've got, we're making a good showing of support however possible.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2023, 06:21:10 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Horsemen

• Four for the price of one!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • CDT Agent #191
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2023, 00:59:45 »
More official conversions is where I would go with it especially with materials for the other eras.

Adventure scenarios tend to be one of the worst sellers on the shelf but perhaps a pdf line would work better for that.

Register