Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 128232 times)

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
MechWarrior: Destiny
« on: 23 July 2019, 11:35:09 »
Taking a look at the THIS Is Battletech PDF, and I'm intrigued by this new RP book, MechWarrior: Destiny. (Now, in hindsight, I see where calling the KS reward "MechWarrior Legends" rather than "BattleTech Legends" makes perfect sense). I know it's probably way early in the process to be answering any questions about it, but I do have two just in case they can be answered:

1. Will the game come with integrations for BT and Alpha Strike as well (although the idea of a free-form, "theater of the mind" Mech combat system is extremely cool too, and sorely needed for RP sessions)?
2. Character creation -- will it be easier than AToW? I took one look at the chargen for AToW and said "nope".

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2019, 11:43:57 »
1. EDIT: This has its own system for 'Mech-Scale Combat. There are rules for tabletop integration which allow the incorporation of RPG elements into CBT or AS games, but it's not a 1:1 conversion.
2. Far easier.

At the direction of management, I'll have no further information about this product at this time.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2019, 13:40:25 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2019, 11:46:25 »
1. Not exactly. Has its own system for 'Mech-Scale Combat.
2. Far easier.

I'll have no further information about this product at this time.

No worries, just this puts my mind at ease about the second point. Thanks!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2019, 12:15:17 »
Hey nice catch

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2019, 12:39:36 »
A few other observations / idle thoughts while perusing the pdf

Is MW: Destiny the BT approximation of Shadowrun Anarchy?

That game being played at the bottom
* what’s up with those big coin things with the Davion and Kurita logo? Much thicker than the challenge coins
* those are definitely faction-themed movement dice. Both sides have multiple colors with their logo

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2019, 12:50:44 »
I am really excited about this!

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2019, 12:56:44 »
However, while I like the idea of MW:D having its own simplified mech combat rules very much. Allow easy conversion of gunnery/piloting skill to TW/AS is a must to give people a choice. For me, I prefer to be able to do both, use whatever mech combat that I feel appropriate for group/situation.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2019, 12:58:47 by sanpats »

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2019, 13:02:16 »
Is this Pdf something that backers to the kick starter get?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2019, 13:05:03 »
Yes go to the Dropbox link in the newest update

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2019, 13:06:42 »
Is this Pdf something that backers to the kick starter get?
Nope, the backers just get 'This is BattleTech' pdf, with the promotion image stating that this is coming soon.

TheOldDragoon

• Sergeant
  • From Royal With Love
    • TexMechs - The Home of the Royal Dragoon Guards
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2019, 13:08:45 »
I am BEYOND excited about this.

But I must agree with my esteemed colleague above- please do include a simple conversion to P/G for standard Battetech or Alpha Strike.

Now, that said- I love the homage to the original Jim Holloway piece on the cover.  If this is spiritually in line with MechWarrior 1e and 2e, I can see our group putting together a campaign pretty quickly.  Faster character gen, faster and simpler task resolution, plenty of MechWarrior flavor- I hope that's what's in store for us.  Heck, even the return to the title "MechWarrior" bodes well.

I thought the return of the missing Legendary designs as high quality plastic minis was the most excitement I'd get from Battletech this year- but this?  This is just as awesome.

Back in the late 80s, we played MechWarrior 1e and loved it.  It was quirky, clunky, and the xp mechanic was a bit burdensome- but holy hell did we have a blast trying to become Knights or Barons though our exploits.  In 1995, we founded the gaming club I'm still a part of now- the Royal Dragoon Guards, and we founded it on a massive MechWarrior 2e/BattleTech campaign that stretched through the Clan War following the trials and tribulations of our struggling mercenary battalion.  That campaign had thirty players/Game Masters running the PCs and the OPFOR.  It was quite a thing- in the climactic battle to unseat a usurper Baron, we had the battalion XO going sword-to-sword with a PC who had defected to the enemy while the BattleMechs mixed it up outside the castle walls.  Epic stuff.  When I got married, it was in the uniform of our unit, with the ushers and groomsmen likewise uniformed.

We playtested for MechWarrior 3rd Edition, and enjoyed some of those campaigns as well- but hit our stride with Time of War where we had a 17-player campaign in which the PCs formed their own Houses Minor banded together under their Duke in exile to take back the planet Royal from House Kurita after it fell in the Fourth War.  We still talk about those Houses Minor to this day, and a couple of them are still entities within our gaming club.

So, when you announce a new version of MechWarrior that takes us back in complexity and theme- well, you've got my full attention.
JEFFREY A. WEBB
Colonel
Regiment Commanding Officer
The Royal Dragoon Guards

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2019, 13:09:36 »
However, while I like the idea of MW:D having its own simplified mech combat rules very much. Allow easy conversion of gunnery/piloting skill to TW/AS is a must to give people a choice. For me, I prefer to be able to do both, use whatever mech combat that I feel appropriate for group/situation.

This definitely. I like the idea of not having to break out the battlemaps for every random encounter, but for big, set-piece battles, it would be very nice to play it out as an AS or BT or BF or what-have-you battle.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2019, 13:13:41 »

* what’s up with those big coin things with the Davion and Kurita logo? Much thicker than the challenge coins

Tins with dice from Origins?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2019, 13:22:32 »
This is why I ask. I’ve never seen them discussed or sold on the secondary market

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2019, 13:25:23 »
speaking of which, the dice shown come from those tins.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2019, 13:28:13 »
That game being played at the bottom
* those are definitely faction-themed movement dice. Both sides have multiple colors with their logo

The "coin things" are the aluminum dice "pucks," which are available at conventions this year and which may be available in the web store as well. (Checking on that.)

The dice pictured come inside the pucks. There are 10 pucks, each with a different color/faction logo.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2019, 13:29:21 »
I’ve seen con exclusive metal dice out there but never off-color for the house like that (E.g. like the red davion and black kurita)

I’d totally spring for faction themed movement dice based on the colors used as the example in the bmm

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2019, 13:34:34 »
I’ve seen con exclusive metal dice out there but never off-color for the house like that (E.g. like the red davion and black kurita)

I’d totally spring for faction themed movement dice based on the colors used as the example in the bmm

Right, these "pucks" are a little different than the first con-exclusive aluminum dice produced a couple years ago.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2019, 13:37:44 »
*snip*
That sounds like a great time, man! Wish I could put a group together for crazy adventures like that.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #19 on: 23 July 2019, 13:40:32 »
Right, these "pucks" are a little different than the first con-exclusive aluminum dice produced a couple years ago.

I have a new item for my list of grievances concerning injury affecting my person via being denied attending cons

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 23 July 2019, 13:41:01 »
I needed to revise my initial statement, re; "conversion" to tabletop games:

This has its own system for 'Mech-Scale Combat. There are rules for tabletop integration which allow the incorporation of RPG elements into CBT or AS games, but it's not a 1:1 conversion.

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 23 July 2019, 13:44:45 »
I needed to revise my initial statement, re; "conversion" to tabletop games:

This has its own system for 'Mech-Scale Combat. There are rules for tabletop integration which allow the incorporation of RPG elements into CBT or AS games, but it's not a 1:1 conversion.

That's good enough for me. Looking forward to hear more about MW:D. Please keep us informed when TPTB give a green light.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2019, 13:46:16 by sanpats »

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2019, 14:07:58 »
That's good enough for me. Looking forward to hear more about MW:D. Please keep us informed when TPTB give a green light.

Same here! I'm absolutely looking forward to this! :thumbsup:

TheOldDragoon

• Sergeant
  • From Royal With Love
    • TexMechs - The Home of the Royal Dragoon Guards
« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2019, 14:17:23 »
Pat Payne,

This was an idea I'd been playing with in anticipation of the next campaign I run.  The idea was to use Alpha Strike for most battles, but break out Battletech for pivotal actions that had heavier meaning to the plot, and perhaps even Solaris VII if only a couple of 'Mechs were involved, or if it needed to be extremely detailed and dramatic.
JEFFREY A. WEBB
Colonel
Regiment Commanding Officer
The Royal Dragoon Guards

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 23 July 2019, 18:05:49 »
Finally, there will be a new edition of MechWarrior RPG.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=66175.new;topicseen#new

« Last Edit: 24 July 2019, 16:55:02 by sanpats »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #25 on: 23 July 2019, 18:11:44 »
I'm extremely hesitant here... having invested hundreds of hours into AToW, and enjoyed it.  CGL doesn't exactly have a great track record with new RPG editions (see Shadowrun)…

sanpats

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: 23 July 2019, 18:20:53 »
Pat Payne,

This was an idea I'd been playing with in anticipation of the next campaign I run.  The idea was to use Alpha Strike for most battles, but break out Battletech for pivotal actions that had heavier meaning to the plot, and perhaps even Solaris VII if only a couple of 'Mechs were involved, or if it needed to be extremely detailed and dramatic.

Which ruleset have you planned to use in you next campaign? My players would never play AToW, so I run mine using MW2e and TW. We enjoy the campaign greatly.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2019, 18:22:41 by sanpats »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #27 on: 23 July 2019, 19:53:21 »
The solution to players who would "never" play AToW is to make their characters for them.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #28 on: 23 July 2019, 21:23:13 »
The solution to players who would "never" play AToW is to make their characters for them.

It shouldn't be the case, though.

AToW wasn't that bad playing it but sadly, the creation process, was not fun for me.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #29 on: 24 July 2019, 07:54:46 »
1. EDIT: This has its own system for 'Mech-Scale Combat. There are rules for tabletop integration which allow the incorporation of RPG elements into CBT or AS games, but it's not a 1:1 conversion.
2. Far easier.

At the direction of management, I'll have no further information about this product at this time.
Okay, super excited. Two questions come to mind for me: If character creation is far simpler than ATOW, are we looking at something similar to MW2 from the old FASA days? Secondly, is there an ETA for the project?
liber et infractus