Author Topic: Deadborder's MegaMek Icon Collection  (Read 218827 times)

Cerberus

• Master Sergeant
Re: Deadborder's MegaMek Icon Collection
« Reply #1410 on: 15 June 2015, 05:22:02 »
Those Raks look fantastic. O0

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1411 on: 16 June 2015, 08:10:19 »
We're on a 3055 binge here with another request from the backlog.

Sadly, some of the Thunder's distinctive features don't really show up on a top down. If this is a good or bad thing really depends on how attached you are to Conquistador helmets and tractor grilles. On the other hand, it's giant cannon arm shows up just fine. The real secret is to make the variants distinctive.

THR-1L Thunder

THR-2L Thunder

THR-3L Thunder

THR-C4 Thunder

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #1412 on: 17 June 2015, 01:21:58 »
Oh man, those C4s are gonna look sweet in Ma-Tsu Kai colors.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1413 on: 17 June 2015, 06:03:08 »
Another long-standing request that I probably should have gotten to earlier (whoops), the Mongoose has an... odd shape. Okay, it's just plain weird. Distinctive head, strange medium laser "gloves", reverse-articulated legs... yeah. Plus it's got a high degree of "no two pictures look the same" going for it, which allways makes things fun.

While the Mongoose II is related, it ends up looking completely different. Still, collateral damage and all.

MON-66/67/76 Mongoose

MON-66b Mongoose

MON-66GX Gunslinger Mongoose

MON-68 Mongoose

MON-69 Mongoose

MON-70 Mongoose

MON-86 Mongoose

MON-266/267 Mongoose II

MON-268 Mongoose II

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1414 on: 17 June 2015, 13:37:46 »
After staring at my mongoose mini I must say that it saddens me how ugly my favorite mech becomes as an icon  :'(

At least we can all take comfort that no matter how ugly a top down mech is, DB can still make 90% or more look good anyway ;)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1415 on: 18 June 2015, 02:42:08 »
After staring at my mongoose mini I must say that it saddens me how ugly my favorite mech becomes as an icon  :'(

At least we can all take comfort that no matter how ugly a top down mech is, DB can still make 90% or more look good anyway ;)

Thanks for that. Translating a 'Mech to an icon can be hard at times, and the Mongoose was especially challenging. I'm glad you liked the icon!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1416 on: 18 June 2015, 02:45:13 »
And another request off the list! The Cerberus is another "odd shape that's difficult to translate" 'Mech, which I seem to get so many of. On the other hand, it's shape means that all its variants look the same. So yay, single icon!

MR-V2/V3/5M/6B Cerberus

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #1417 on: 18 June 2015, 03:00:47 »
Another major improvement on an icon I have used a ton over the years (the MR-V3 sees a lot of play with merc OpFors in my games). And I swear by the Blakist one, it's one of my standbys with C3i Twos.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1418 on: 18 June 2015, 03:31:28 »
Another major improvement on an icon I have used a ton over the years (the MR-V3 sees a lot of play with merc OpFors in my games). And I swear by the Blakist one, it's one of my standbys with C3i Twos.

The Cerberus gets a lot of use from me for the same reason. It gave me more incentive to draw the icon.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1419 on: 18 June 2015, 03:42:09 »
And now the Salamander, another funny looking 3055 Assault 'Mech. Wow. There's a pattern for you.

PPR-5S/7S Salamander

PPR-5T Salamander

PPR-6S Salamander

PPR-6T Salamander

PPR-7T Salamander

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #1420 on: 18 June 2015, 07:21:48 »
Glorious.

- Klarg1

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1421 on: 18 June 2015, 13:45:25 »
Wasn't the Falconer based off of the Orion chassis according to fluff? Or was that the Penetrator. Either way, it was a slap my own head moment reading that fluff then looking at the mech.

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1422 on: 18 June 2015, 17:20:42 »
You're thinking of the Perseus.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1423 on: 18 June 2015, 18:46:38 »
At this rate, I might actually be through my request backlog in a couple of months

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1424 on: 19 June 2015, 03:49:03 »
The Legacy was another request. It's also one of my favourite assault 'Mechs, so I guess everyone wins. It was a pain in the Aztec to draw, however, due to it's odd shape and proportions, not to mention it's... odd variants. On the upside, if we ever see a canon version of the Rising Star, I'm ready for it.

LGC-01 Legacy

LGC-02 Legacy

LGC-03 Legacy

LGC-04-WVR Legacy

LGC-05 Legacy

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #1425 on: 19 June 2015, 03:59:20 »
The Legacy was another request. It's also one of my favourite assault 'Mechs, so I guess everyone wins. It was a pain in the Aztec to draw, however, due to it's odd shape and proportions, not to mention it's... odd variants. On the upside, if we ever see a canon version of the Rising Star, I'm ready for it.

Based on the available tech at the time of ca. 2780, I fudged one of those and used it. Really, really fun unit. :) And the icons look really good!
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #1426 on: 19 June 2015, 05:55:36 »
Thank you for your hard work, Deadborder! And I'm very fond of the Legacy icon. Top-notch stuff!

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #1427 on: 19 June 2015, 19:54:08 »
That Salamander is a thing of beauty.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1428 on: 22 June 2015, 03:12:24 »
Time for another request! This one has something in common with the Legacy, being on the cover of a Reprint TRO! Yes, I know that's a dubious link. I'm tired. Work with me here.

At any rate, here's the Helios, which is a rather brutishly ugly 'Mech. On the other hand, it was pretty easy to draw (Draw a rectangle, fill in some bits) and its variants weren't too crazy. Good stuff!

HEL-3D/C Helios

HEL-4A Helios

HEL-6X Helios

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #1429 on: 22 June 2015, 06:08:20 »
Wooh! Thanks for that Helios, Deadborder! It ain't a beautiful 'Mech, but it gets the job done. Or at least, it does in my one-MHQ-game-a-month. :)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Rifleman II RFL-3N-2
« Reply #1430 on: 23 June 2015, 23:34:57 »
Saving you some time.

Rifleman II RFL-3N-2
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1431 on: 24 June 2015, 02:36:06 »
The Apollo is another one off the request list... and that's all I really have to say. It was actually shockingly easy to draw, and one of the fastest ones I've ever done.

APL-1M/1R/2S Apollo

APL-3T Apollo

APL-4M Apollo

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1432 on: 26 June 2015, 03:52:17 »
An unexpected Double Request managed to clear up a degree of indecision over which icon to do next, so yay for that! I think. At any rate, here's the Anvil, yet another weirdly-shaped 3055 'Mech. True, that pretty much amounts to all of them, but in its case it's got a variant that manages to have an even weirder shape.

ANV-3M/5Q/6M Anvil

ANV-5M Anvil

ANV-8M Anvil

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1433 on: 26 June 2015, 04:08:38 »
And now an update of the Anzu, which finishes a pattern of... um... FWLM 'Mechs who's name begins with "A" or something.

ZU-G60 Anzu

ZU-J70 Anzu

Cerberus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1434 on: 28 June 2015, 02:05:11 »
Great job on these icons, it's almost like you're doing a 3055-ish project with all these requests.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1435 on: 28 June 2015, 07:14:55 »
Great job on these icons, it's almost like you're doing a 3055-ish project with all these requests.

I'm actually (nearly) out of 3055-themed requests. With that being said, I expect a lot more to flood in all at once

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1436 on: 29 June 2015, 03:01:15 »
Time for another weirdly-shaped 3055 Heavy 'Mech. Yes, this is a pattern, dammit! The Penetrator was a pin to draw for most of the usual reasons; odd shape, lack of good views of the back and sides and so on. But it's also a popular 'Mech in spite of all this, and so I was pretty driven to get it right. Even if I did kind of end up completely rebuilding the icon when it was 90% complete, because, hey. It's me.

In the meantime, here's a funny story. A friend of mine once lost a Penetrator in a game because its AMS ammo suffered a TAC from a single SRM. That SRM was the sole survivor from a flight that had been otherwise swatted by the AMS. It's weird the way these things work out.

PTR-4D/6S/6T Penetrator

PTR-4F Penetrator

PTR-6M Penetrator

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #1437 on: 29 June 2015, 09:11:14 »
I might be remembering things wrong, but did you do the Primitive Rifleman?

I swear I saw it somewhere.

Here's hoping there is a GRF-1A Griffin in the future as well.

Just saw the TRO artwork for that last night.   O0
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Cerberus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1438 on: 29 June 2015, 09:30:06 »
In the meantime, here's a funny story. A friend of mine once lost a Penetrator in a game because its AMS ammo suffered a TAC from a single SRM. That SRM was the sole survivor from a flight that had been otherwise swatted by the AMS. It's weird the way these things work out.
Luck, destiny, the Great Pumpkin...either or, it happens. That is how TACs are. Anyway, nice Penetrator. Chunky!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1439 on: 01 July 2015, 03:19:12 »
And now for another double request, in the form of the Lynx. This one... hurt. It's an odd-looking 'Mech (because TRO3058 art, that's why) and the sole pic of it doesn't help that much. In the end, I went to the miniature on camospecs for a good look. On the other hand, double request plus a 'Mech that appears in my own games a fair bit means that I would move heaven and earth to get it done decently.

I'd like to think I did an okay job.

LNX-9Q/9R Lynx

LNX-8Q Lynx

LNX-9C Lynx
« Last Edit: 02 July 2015, 07:36:22 by Deadborder »