Author Topic: Deadborder's MegaMek Icon Collection  (Read 218813 times)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Deadborder's MegaMek Icon Collection
« Reply #780 on: 20 July 2014, 12:46:38 »
VERY silly follow up: does that mean I need to download the newest version of Megamek to use them?

I add the Icons to the MegaMek SVN as they are released.  Ral does up new releases every couple of weeks.

So the the newest version of Ralgiths Custom release of MM (http://megamek.info/node/124) would have up to July 7th icons in them.

Basically there is always a lag of a few weeks before you will see them.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #781 on: 20 July 2014, 16:01:48 »
It's the EASIEST way to do it. If you wait for the new megamek, it'll have most/all of the icons loaded already. it's entirely possible to retrofit the icons onto an old version though, it's just enough of a pain to do for 10-15 units that I wait for MegaMek to do it myself.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #782 on: 20 July 2014, 16:26:26 »
It's the EASIEST way to do it. If you wait for the new megamek, it'll have most/all of the icons loaded already. it's entirely possible to retrofit the icons onto an old version though, it's just enough of a pain to do for 10-15 units that I wait for MegaMek to do it myself.

To be fair once you've done it once it's easy as heck to do it again, it'd be even easier if the Devs moves the latest update unit images to the bottom of the mechset file whenever they get updated though.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #783 on: 20 July 2014, 16:27:27 »
No, you can get them directly from the megamek svn here BUT you will have to click on the download snapshot button then extract the archive into your images folder to use them.

Or you can be patient and wait for a new build of MM or HQ if you don't feel confident enough to try the above w/o screwing something up.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #784 on: 20 July 2014, 16:35:32 »
To be fair once you've done it once it's easy as heck to do it again, it'd be even easier if the Devs moves the latest update unit images to the bottom of the mechset file whenever they get updated though.

Not gonna happen they will stay alphabetical.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #785 on: 20 July 2014, 19:18:11 »
I'm also going to be offering a single collected dwonload of the NBP once its done
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #786 on: 21 July 2014, 02:59:26 »
And now the Warhammer IIC, the reseen version of which I've probably drawn and re-drawn more times then god. Seriously, I'm so obsessive it hurts some days. On the other hand, this is my first ever shot at drawing the unseen Warhammer IIC. So yeah.

Warhammer IIC (Standard)

Warhammer IIC 2

Warhammer IIC 3

Warhammer IIC 4/11

Warhammer IIC 5

Warhammer IIC 6

Warhammer IIC 7

Warhammer IIC 8

Warhammer IIC 9

Warhammer IIC 10

Warhammer IIC 12

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #787 on: 21 July 2014, 09:24:59 »
Not gonna happen they will stay alphabetical.

Figured as much, still not much harder though with the find/replace function in most text editors. It'd be nice if we could do it from inside the lab as well though, but you guys have enough on the go without that being requested.

Anywho nice work on the 'hammer DB your self-inflicted torture is greatly appreciated as the 'mechs look great, especially the IIC 8 & 10.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #788 on: 21 July 2014, 10:20:47 »
No, you can get them directly from the megamek svn here BUT you will have to click on the download snapshot button then extract the archive into your images folder to use them.

Or you can be patient and wait for a new build of MM or HQ if you don't feel confident enough to try the above w/o screwing something up.

Wait, does that work for everything? I can just grab a completely up-to-date version of megamek whenever I want?

How long has that been a thing?

saginatio

• Private
« Reply #789 on: 21 July 2014, 10:42:53 »
Wait, does that work for everything? I can just grab a completely up-to-date version of megamek whenever I want?

For most new features in MM you would need to compile source first. But changes to data folder are not harlinked to .jar, so you can simply download them and replace old data.

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #790 on: 21 July 2014, 10:51:34 »

You can, but it isn't recommended. For one, it's only a SOURCE download. So you'd have to be able to compile MM yourself. For another, you'd no longer be matched to other players by version. Also, there could be buggy code that isn't in official releases.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #791 on: 21 July 2014, 11:12:41 »
And now the Warhammer IIC, the reseen version of which I've probably drawn and re-drawn more times then god. Seriously, I'm so obsessive it hurts some days. On the other hand, this is my first ever shot at drawing the unseen Warhammer IIC. So yeah.

Warhammer IIC (Standard)

Warhammer IIC 2

Warhammer IIC 3

Warhammer IIC 4/11

Warhammer IIC 5

Warhammer IIC 6

Warhammer IIC 7

Warhammer IIC 8

Warhammer IIC 9

Warhammer IIC 10

Warhammer IIC 12

Those are just simply gorgeous

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #792 on: 23 July 2014, 07:52:01 »
Welcome to my nightmare.

The Unseen Marauder IIC's original TRO art is incredibly unhelpful. A bizzare perspective and weird angles that are very subject to interpretation makes it hard to get a good idea of even it's basic shape. The Miniature isn't much help either, being largely flat. Added to that, it's a Marauder, which means both that it has a strange body shape and that it's reseen is a completely different shape overall. In the end, I had to take a number of compromises between conflicting depictions... and even then, I found that, of all things, its MechWarrior 2 model was the best and most helpful reference.

After that, the reseen was a snap.

That's it for Phase II of NBP. Phase III starts... soon.

Marauder IIC (Standard)

Marauder IIC 2

Marauder IIC 3

Marauder IIC 4

Marauder IIC 5

Marauder IIC 6

Marauder IIC 7

Marauder IIC 8

Felime

• Sergeant
« Reply #793 on: 23 July 2014, 08:41:07 »

I've started doing it for MekHQ, but I'm also fiddling with it to try to learn the code-base, and you have to be prepared for there to be huge issues they know about, but haven't had time to fix. Just doing it and copying out the new images is pretty safe though

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #794 on: 23 July 2014, 11:20:07 »
The marauder still came out looking good though DB.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #795 on: 23 July 2014, 18:08:58 »
Phase III begins! And boy, was that quick or what?

First up is the Baboon, which was stupidly easy to draw (though after the Marauder IIC, anything is). I admit now that it's a bit on the big side for a 20-tonner, but then in general, the Baboon is rather flat and broad for its weight.

Munky!

Baboon (Howler) (Standard)

Baboon (Howler) 2

Baboon (Howler) 3 'Devil'

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #796 on: 24 July 2014, 10:56:52 »
I just got to say... I really do love the new Icons. I'm using R1925 now, upgraded from 1739. All the improvements are well worth your effort.

I do have one question though.

I have my own PXH variant for instance. What is the simplest way to over-ride the image selection?

I've taken to putting "exact" statements for every instance of one of my variants that is required, in every one of the config files. Is there a simpler method?

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #797 on: 24 July 2014, 11:31:43 »
What's the best way to resize the icons? 

All of DB's icons are fantastic, but for the past few weeks he's been drawing them larger than the scale for all the previous ones.

I decided to change that (scale is important to me with icon's just as much as mini's) but if I resize them in paint, the area around the mech is no longer transparent, but shaded.

3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #798 on: 24 July 2014, 17:28:36 »
I just got to say... I really do love the new Icons. I'm using R1925 now, upgraded from 1739. All the improvements are well worth your effort.

I do have one question though.

I have my own PXH variant for instance. What is the simplest way to over-ride the image selection?

I've taken to putting "exact" statements for every instance of one of my variants that is required, in every one of the config files. Is there a simpler method?

Unfortunately, that's the only way to do it. All you need to edit is the mechset.txt, however

ralgith

• Captain
« Reply #799 on: 24 July 2014, 18:45:56 »

Those should be put in only the localclient_mechset.txt, as that is what it is for.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #800 on: 24 July 2014, 18:52:03 »
And now for the Vixen, a 'Mech who's unseen I admit that I really don't like. Not only is it ridiculously animesque, but it suffers from a bad case of Pinhead syndrome - that is to say, the head looks too small to fit a cockpit.

Oddly enough, while there is a MWDA version, it looks nothing like either the unseen or reseen versions.

Vixen (Incubus) (Standard)/2

Vixen (Incubus) 3

Vixen (Incubus) 4

Vixen (Incubus) 5

Incubus II

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #801 on: 24 July 2014, 21:27:55 »
For the Incubus II should the right wing(?) be shorter/smaller than the left?

Xenon54z

• Master Sergeant
  • Code should be like art.
« Reply #802 on: 24 July 2014, 21:50:32 »
For the Incubus II should the right wing(?) be shorter/smaller than the left?

I think that is the gray foot your are seeing since it is walking/running. (hard to tell which at this angle :-\ )
Free air guitar! Just pick one up! Hurry Now!
Buy now while entropy is low!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #803 on: 24 July 2014, 21:53:51 »
If that's the case then the foot should be less visible with the wing overlapping it.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #804 on: 25 July 2014, 03:04:03 »
The Incubus II's wing actually sticks out quite a bit from the back rather then being directly attached to it, leaving a gap between it and the body. That's why the back foot is visible.

ralgith

• Captain
« Reply #805 on: 25 July 2014, 03:27:48 »
The Incubus II's wing actually sticks out quite a bit from the back rather then being directly attached to it, leaving a gap between it and the body. That's why the back foot is visible.

And it's the quality of details like this that makes your sprites so good :P

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #806 on: 25 July 2014, 04:15:55 »
The unseen Peregrine is funky looking. With its weird head and those tubes over its back, as well as it's all-curves body, it's hard to get a good idea of what it actually looks like. Certainly no two pictures of it look alike. This makes my job hard, but this also seems to happen a lot.

Peregrine (Horned Owl) (Standard)

Peregrine (Horned Owl) 2

Peregrine (Horned Owl) 3

Peregrine (Horned Owl) 4

Peregrine (Horned Owl) 5

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #807 on: 25 July 2014, 12:14:39 »
never knew that the Peregrine was considered an unseen mech?  But lets leave it at that.  If somebody wants to tell me great but do so in a pm.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #808 on: 27 July 2014, 04:05:08 »
The Hellhound is the best medium 'Mech ever. That's all I have to say.

Hellhound (Conjurer) (Standard)

Hellhound (Conjurer) 2

Hellhound (Conjurer) 3

Hellhound (Conjurer) 4

Hellhound (Conjurer) 5

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #809 on: 28 July 2014, 05:55:19 »
I am the god of hellfire. I am invincible. I can iconify anything

Or, at least, that's how I feel after today. It's not just that I did icons for the Goshawk, which is a complex 'Mech at the best of times in both unseen and reseen format. No, because I did them in MS Paint because I didn't have access to my regular computer for various reasons. After doing that, I feel that I can do anything.

Oh, and if you thought the unseen Vixen suffered from Pinhead Syndrome, it has nothing on the unseen Goshawk.

Goshawk (Vapor Eagle) (Standard)

Goshawk (Vapor Eagle) 2

Goshawk (Vapor Eagle) 3

Goshawk (Vapor Eagle) 4

Register