Author Topic: Configurable 3D Printable Buildings  (Read 1988 times)

pascal

• Corporal
Configurable 3D Printable Buildings
« on: 23 December 2018, 14:42:55 »
While browsing Thingiverse I found this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:954701

(If you find this useful, please consider tipping the original author, timlo, via Thingiverse)

I'd like to note that I don't own a 3D printer my self, so the stuff posted below has not yet been tested.

However the default object scale was too small for use with BattleTech, so I modified it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3306159

This includes the modified OpenSCAD (the parameterized source), and example STLs (printable buildings), one of which should fit nicely within three adjacent hexes on a standard mapsheet:

And a few for hexless play (Alpha Strike, or the Classic Miniature Rules):

Given that the original model was made with OpenSCAD by timlo, my modified version can be used as well to generate a multitude of similar but not identical buildings. I've modified the parameters so that they make little more sense for our purposes.

To do so, you either need to download and use the OpenSCAD software itself...
Or create a Thingiverse account, and click "Open in Customizer", which presents you with a simple web interface to generate different building configurations. In my experience the Customizer can be a bit slow and flakey at times, probably due to peek demand or something along those lines. If it's not working for you, try again in a few hours.

For Alpha Strike, or Classic using the Miniatures Rules, I would recommend using a 2.50in hex size, and a proper 10mm storey height.

Also keep in mind that the model was originally design to be printed at a significantly smaller scale, so it's not super detailed, as we're essentially upscaling the model.

If you have access to a 3D printer, and do decide to print a few buildings, I'd love to see some photos posted of the buildings being used in your games...
« Last Edit: 25 December 2018, 13:12:23 by pascal »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Configurable 3D Printable Buildings
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2018, 15:14:25 »
Very cool... I have a reasonable expectation of a 3D printer for Christmas, but I probably won't have first dibs on what gets printed.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for posting it!  :thumbsup:

pascal

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2018, 13:12:51 »
I just added a few more STLs of example buildings.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2018, 13:17:29 »
Cool... unfortunately, shipping hasn't cooperated with the holiday.  We got our raw materials (three coils of it, in fact), but not the printer.  Hopefully it'll make it in the next week or so.

Register