Author Topic: Society Ultraviolet Markings  (Read 974 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Society Ultraviolet Markings
« on: 14 April 2023, 12:40:04 »
On p. 153 of The Wars of Reaving, it's stated that the Society used ultraviolet markings to identify themselves when undercover. CSO painter Jal Phoenix stated that he painted an infinity symbol on the back, possibly based on information provided to CSO members at the time. However, it's been some time since then, and Jal himself admitted that it could have just been his own stylistic choice, and I've yet to find a publicly-available canon document that would confirm or deny that as a standard marking.

Is it specifically an infinity symbol on the back?

And, as a follow-on question just to lump it in, are there any other notable symbols or emblems of the Society that have yet to be published?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Society Ultraviolet Markings
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2023, 23:20:23 »
On p. 153 of The Wars of Reaving, it's stated that the Society used ultraviolet markings to identify themselves when undercover. CSO painter Jal Phoenix stated that he painted an infinity symbol on the back, possibly based on information provided to CSO members at the time. However, it's been some time since then, and Jal himself admitted that it could have just been his own stylistic choice, and I've yet to find a publicly-available canon document that would confirm or deny that as a standard marking.

I vaguely remember that conversation. As I recall, Jal came up with the infinity symbol, which is a very solid pick.

Is it specifically an infinity symbol on the back?

Not necessarily, but a common thread would be that it's a symbol that tries to emphasize that they're very smart, and Warrior Caste are so very stupid. Mere numbers wouldn't convey this.

And, as a follow-on question just to lump it in, are there any other notable symbols or emblems of the Society that have yet to be published?

Ben might've worked up a list, but I never did. It was mostly a cool idea that seemed hard to implement at the game table.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Register