Author Topic: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.  (Read 45489 times)

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
Re: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.
« Reply #90 on: 25 July 2019, 13:11:50 »
*rage intensifies*
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! :flame:
This is just unbelievable that MW5 is an Epic Store exclusive.  >:(

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #91 on: 25 July 2019, 13:36:53 »
But (and I could be wrong here) you don;t pay for EPIC GAMES, you pay for the actual game, so does it matter how you access it?

At this stage I have been using steam for about 10 years and pretty much my entire game library for that period is in steam and I have never had a single problem. Why would I want to move to a different service at all never mind one that from what I have read on the net offers much less functionality and funnels my data to China?

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #92 on: 25 July 2019, 14:07:12 »
sucks for sure as i have only 1 other epic game|(not played it due to work and such)..  i just turn my epic launcher off and only on when i need to use it...

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #93 on: 25 July 2019, 16:25:03 »
Breaking news.

https://mw5mercs.com/news/2019/07/9-development-update

Epic Game Store exclusive.

Welp. There goes any idea of me playing MW5.

(I'm firmly in the camp of Epic's launcher never touching my system.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 25 July 2019, 16:46:49 »
It'll be out on other launchers a year later, so don't fret.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 25 July 2019, 17:04:08 »
Another big letdown is that MW5 had promised support for modding, via the Steam workshop (for sharing and easily managing any you have downloaded) while Epic does not have anything comparable. Which likely means that whole promise will drop away. At best, it just means organizing and finding mods will be more annoying. At worst it means they're dropping easy support for mods entirely.

Either way, I've waited over 17 years for a new MW game, I can wait another year.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 25 July 2019, 17:30:06 »
This doesn't surprise me.  We knew PGI has been in need of cash so i doubt epic had to work really hard to convince them and the fact that they'll keep a large percentage makes it a no brainer for them.   

With how often this has happened recently, I'm surprised Valve hasn't raised developer shares yet.  Maybe they're expecting the bad will toward epic will be enough?  Clearly not the case so far.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 25 July 2019, 17:38:06 »
Valve raises dev shares in certain cases, though it is mostly limited to bigger sellers AFAIK (after all, bigger sellers have more leverage).
But the argument that Epic's better due to dev shares is BS. Devs who sell on Steam can generate keys and sell them on their own page for 100% profit, a feature absent from EGS at the moment. GoG takes 30% cut and apparently has issues staying up, though they did invest heavily in R&D regarding the platform. If Epic didn't have Fortnite money, they couldn't stay up with that mere 12% cut.. or at least wouldn't be offering as many features as Steam, not to mention not having money to invest in VR and stuff like Steam Wallet cards that actually cost Valve more than they're nominal value is, they're effectively subsidizing access to Steam for regions that don't use debit or credit cards really paid for by that cut.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #98 on: 25 July 2019, 17:52:43 »
It'll be out on other launchers a year later, so don't fret.
Well there screwed. So am i. Paid with a gift card so im utterly screwed.
I cant be refunded. Unless they can transfer it when game comes out next year..
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 25 July 2019, 17:55:52 »
Well there screwed. So am i. Paid with a gift card so im utterly screwed.
I cant be refunded. Unless they can transfer it when game comes out next year..

I saw someone else posted (not here) a response from PGI that their "original method could not be refunded" but offered to refund it to a paypal account if they had one. Possibly for a similar situation. Doesn't hurt to request it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 25 July 2019, 18:10:47 »
I don't think it's delayed because of epic, I think it's just delayed (from the old 9 month delay to 12 months) because PGI is about as good at making games as they are at attracting and retaining customers.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #102 on: 25 July 2019, 18:28:09 »
When they come to Steam, I'll get into it them. Shame.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #103 on: 25 July 2019, 18:34:27 »
I don't blame PGI. Who would've known when they started working on MW5 YEARS ago that Epic's investors would pull this crap.

Not i truly think this will bode well the company.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 25 July 2019, 19:11:46 »
Another big letdown is that MW5 had promised support for modding, via the Steam workshop (for sharing and easily managing any you have downloaded) while Epic does not have anything comparable. Which likely means that whole promise will drop away. At best, it just means organizing and finding mods will be more annoying. At worst it means they're dropping easy support for mods entirely.

Either way, I've waited over 17 years for a new MW game, I can wait another year.

Mod support will just happen over Nexusmods instead, which imo is easier to manage. You can use their Mod Manager or whatever it is called to easily handle multiple mods.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #105 on: 25 July 2019, 19:17:18 »
Well, damn. I was really looking forward to MW5 until this. Epic store exclusive is a no-go for me. Hopefully it'll release on Steam and/or GOG later on. THEN I'll buy it.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #106 on: 25 July 2019, 19:27:45 »
Epic store exclusive = I don't need this game anymore.

I oppose any store exclusivity - I'd feel the same if it was Steam exclusive.

I really don't need yet *another* launcher on my PC to go with GoG Galaxy,Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Battle.net, never mind any issues of "will this game work without the 3rd party launcher?" At least GoG lets me download standalone installers.

Ah, well, I'll take a look at this again in 18 months time if I still care. I'm just glad I didn't pre-order

>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 25 July 2019, 19:38:12 »
Ah, well, I'll take a look at this again in 18 months time if I still care. I'm just glad I didn't pre-order

My desire to support anything Battletech-related had overpowered my distrust of PGI. Thankfully they were quick with the refund.

slh

• Recruit
« Reply #108 on: 25 July 2019, 19:43:57 »

They did add an faq entry about that:

https://mw5mercs.com/faq#question-2-4

5 Will the Epic Games store support modding like Steamworks?

We are fully committed to supporting mod making for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. Upon the game release, mod makers will be able to download the editor and everything they need to create full mods. Then early in 2020, we will integrate the end user experience for mod makers to share their creations with the community.
Epic Games store plans to release modding support, including product-specific storefronts for mods, in early 2020. For more information on current feature status, please visit the Epic Games store Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #109 on: 25 July 2019, 20:25:08 »
On the bright side, all the bugs from initial release and features like physical attacks will be implemented by the time exclusivity expires...  Right? :-\
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 25 July 2019, 20:27:06 »
lol
Considering that MWO didn't really ever change, and it took years for some features to appear, no chance MW5 will be in tiptop shape within just a year.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #111 on: 25 July 2019, 21:19:55 »
Well, damn. I was really looking forward to MW5 until this. Epic store exclusive is a no-go for me. Hopefully it'll release on Steam and/or GOG later on. THEN I'll buy it.

From their FAQ:

"Q: For how long will MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries be an Epic Games store exclusive?

A: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will be exclusive to the Epic Games store for a year."

https://mw5mercs.com/faq#question-2-1

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 25 July 2019, 21:52:45 »
I wonder why the exclusivity period is a whole year?  Borderlands 3 will only be six months!
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #113 on: 26 July 2019, 00:28:55 »
I wonder why the exclusivity period is a whole year?  Borderlands 3 will only be six months!

Likely more money for longer period.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #114 on: 26 July 2019, 02:57:02 »
On the bright side, all the bugs from initial release and features like physical attacks will be implemented by the time exclusivity expires...  Right? :-\
You need money to implement features. With people straight-up telling PGI that they hope they go the way of Kyoto Animation and that the teams should kill themselves, I don't imagine PGI would be seeing much.

I get that it sucks, but I'm pretty thoroughly disgusted with the MWO community right now over exactly how vitriolic the response is. It's a move I saw coming when Borderlands 3 had its drama.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #115 on: 26 July 2019, 06:37:17 »
But (and I could be wrong here) you don;t pay for EPIC GAMES, you pay for the actual game, so does it matter how you access it?
Until they clarify that the preorder isn't locked to Epic Games copy only, you would be basically paying for a copy accessible only on Epic Games.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 26 July 2019, 07:14:11 »
Saw this online and  thought it recapped things short and sweet:

1. The deal means more money and more time for MW5. This means a better game. IT also had to be delayed in order to avoid Borderlands 3 and Gears of War 5 that is dropping right on top of MW5's original Sep 10 release date.

2. We get German, French, Russian localization, more marketing push, and hire more employees to polish the game

3. The recoup point to be successful for MW5 is 750.000 units instead of Steam's 1 million

4. If you don't like the EGS, you can get a complete refund and keep all of your preorder MWO content

5. The game will come out on Steam and GOG next year and will benefit from more patches and more mods from the dedicated modding community

6. This deal lessens the financial risks, gives more marketing, a better overall and polished game, higher chance of success and more Mechwarrior games, and finally you can get  your money back and wait, and it'll still be on Steam and GOG later

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #117 on: 26 July 2019, 10:26:28 »
Have they said anything about doing such a thing?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #118 on: 26 July 2019, 10:31:03 »
How do weapon groupings work in MWO?  I'm hoping MW5 has something really close to MW4:mercs. I especially liked how it let me automatically cycle my weapons for the primary grouping instead of firing them all every time I pulled the trigger.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #119 on: 26 July 2019, 10:34:27 »
Saw this online and  thought it recapped things short and sweet:

1. The deal means more money and more time for MW5. This means a better game. IT also had to be delayed in order to avoid Borderlands 3 and Gears of War 5 that is dropping right on top of MW5's original Sep 10 release date.

2. We get German, French, Russian localization, more marketing push, and hire more employees to polish the game

3. The recoup point to be successful for MW5 is 750.000 units instead of Steam's 1 million

4. If you don't like the EGS, you can get a complete refund and keep all of your preorder MWO content

5. The game will come out on Steam and GOG next year and will benefit from more patches and more mods from the dedicated modding community

6. This deal lessens the financial risks, gives more marketing, a better overall and polished game, higher chance of success and more Mechwarrior games, and finally you can get  your money back and wait, and it'll still be on Steam and GOG later
The problem is that Epic Games has an extremely bad reputation for customers.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Register