Author Topic: What's available from IWM Brick-n-Mortar / in-store  (Read 6546 times)

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
What's available from IWM Brick-n-Mortar / in-store
« on: 16 February 2018, 16:02:23 »
While we've been told about the 'grab-bag' price (purchasing mini's by the pound), what would be available through this option?
I'd expect the standard production mini's, but what about anything that is now "Archive", web-exclusives of BT- or otherwise, Shadowrun 28mm's, or hex-bases?
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: What's available from IWM Brick-n-Mortar / in-store
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2018, 18:13:59 »
Typically, anything that's on the shelves in the factory. That includes all the things you mentioned, and more. For anything not yet in distribution, or if they're fulfilling a big order for someone, they might ask that you refrain from those specific items.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2018, 18:18:15 »
While we've been told about the 'grab-bag' price (purchasing mini's by the pound), what would be available through this option?
I'd expect the standard production mini's, but what about anything that is now "Archive", web-exclusives of BT- or otherwise, Shadowrun 28mm's, or hex-bases?

Yes.  Basically, "All of the Above".  Things they've got on the shelves are something like $40.00 per pound, but if they have to get out the molds and cast things for YOU Specifically, then it's $42.00 per pound.  And No, I don't think they distinguish between BT and SR minis.  Granted, I Could be wrong about that also!   :-\

In case you were wondering, DON'T get your Hopes up and think you'll be able to get any OOP/Unseen minis "Direct From the Source" either.  The old "Unseen" molds are LONG since destroyed, though until a certain HG lawsuit gets settled, I'm sure they've still got the molds for the newest Classic Wasp somewhere.  Again though, they still can't Produce any more at the moment.   :'(
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2018, 11:11:48 »
Thanks guys!
Over the past three years, I've picked up IWM & CGL mini's for 3039-3055 and the Great Succession War campaigns - though still - some where around 75%+ of my collection is lead, so I'm now needing to build up on 3060+ mini's. Running games as a demo-agent means not being able to field most of my collection, so I figure a 'factory run' might be the best option to get back up to speed. (Plus, I'm 30 years behind on making a visit! LOL)
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2018, 16:22:17 »
If nothing else, maybe email "The Office Wench", and let her know when you plan to visit, and maybe what you'll be looking for?  She might be able to "Just So Happen" to have things waiting for you when you arrive.   ^-^  I'm NOT saying that she will, but she Might, depending on how busy she is.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2018, 17:54:19 »
She is awesome.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2018, 10:12:50 »
There is not really a store front, just what is back in the factory. As other people have said the pricing is broken down by a percent off packaged product, different per pound price for metal product from stock bins or if something needs to be casted. Pretty much anything found on IWM online store is available. I would suggest making your list ahead of time sorted by SKU code and Name. Show up between 9am and 5pm during the week.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2018, 19:32:37 »
Further advice... I'm not saying bribing them with beer is guaranteed effective, but it can't hurt the cause.  #P

(Da Wench is just the best person ever, if you haven't met her at a convention you really need to at some point.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2018, 16:49:30 »
(Da Wench is just the best person ever, if you haven't met her at a convention you really need to at some point.)

"Like + Infinity"   O0

It CAN'T be said Often enough how AWESOME she is!   [notworthy]

(Why Yes, I DO think she walks on water!  :D )

Carlson793

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2018, 18:45:34 »
Hmm... and just a few miles down I-75 from my CincyCon hotel. Course, I'll need to leave Louisville a little earlier than planned to run by Friday morning... Oh darn  ;)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2018, 19:46:11 »
I may or may not have considered flying to Cincinnati to do this

The cost only slightly in favor of paying retail prices

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2018, 11:50:27 »
Hmm... and just a few miles down I-75 from my CincyCon hotel. Course, I'll need to leave Louisville a little earlier than planned to run by Friday morning... Oh darn  ;)

I usually stop in IWM on Thursday when I get to town before Cincycon.

Carlson793

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2018, 12:50:56 »
I usually stop in IWM on Thursday when I get to town before Cincycon.
Unfortunately, can't leave till Friday morning - got the local BT campaign Thursday evening  :D

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2018, 13:05:38 »
Until I saw this thread I didn't realize their was an IWM store. If anyone can answer a few questions it would be appreciated. Is the store the location on the IWM Facebook page? Are they only open during the week? Can you just walk in and buy stuff? Hypothetically, if it were to take me 3-4 hours to drive there, how much would I need to buy to make the discount close to worthwhile*?

*Ignoring the time spent to get there. And by close to worthwhile I understand that unless it's a massive discount it will likely not actually be worthwhile barring me buying hundreds of dollars worth of minis in one go. Just wondering how much would make it close to being worth it.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2018, 15:57:52 »
Until I saw this thread I didn't realize their was an IWM store. If anyone can answer a few questions it would be appreciated. Is the store the location on the IWM Facebook page? Are they only open during the week? Can you just walk in and buy stuff? Hypothetically, if it were to take me 3-4 hours to drive there, how much would I need to buy to make the discount close to worthwhile*?

*Ignoring the time spent to get there. And by close to worthwhile I understand that unless it's a massive discount it will likely not actually be worthwhile barring me buying hundreds of dollars worth of minis in one go. Just wondering how much would make it close to being worth it.

As I said in a earlier response, there is no true physical store just the factory. You can visit during the week between 9 to 5. The pricing breakdown is mentioned earlier in this thread. You can purchased packaged product, loose product from stock bins or something casted (if they are free too) if not in stock bin.

IWM also operates a Online store.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2018, 15:59:32 by speck »

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2018, 17:37:35 »
If you want to see what it looks like inside, there are some decent pictures on this blog:

http://www.stuartthamanbooks.com/blog/2017/1/7/seeing-my-name-in-print-but-not-on-the-cover-of-a-novel

Like Speck said. It isn't really a store. It's the factory where they make everything, but they will sell you stuff if you stop by. I don't know what location it says on their Facebook page, but if it is the address on Chester Rd. that is probably correct. Their place is marked on Google Maps so you can look them up there to confirm.

How much would you have to buy to make a 3-4hr trip worth it? Kind of up to you how much your time is worth and how much shipping would be vs. the cost of gas, but I'd say you would probably have to buy quite a lot. In my opinion, it is a big help if you need or want lots of random pieces and parts of mechs, but not the whole mech. So, for getting parts for bashing stuff, it's fantastic. For just saving money or buying whole mechs? Kind of a lot of time to invest in my opinion.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2018, 23:57:47 »
As I said in a earlier response, there is no true physical store just the factory. You can visit during the week between 9 to 5. The pricing breakdown is mentioned earlier in this thread. You can purchased packaged product, loose product from stock bins or something casted (if they are free too) if not in stock bin.

IWM also operates a Online store.
Thanks. I guess I should have been clear when I said I didn't know there was a store that I meant a physical store and not just a store of any kind. I knew about the web store and I've stopped by the IWM booth at GenCon the last couple years to make purchases. I probably phrased my question all wrong emphasizing the pricing. Based on the article sadlerbw linked to it might be interesting enough on its own just to see everything. The discount would be a bonus.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2018, 10:15:12 »
I would love to get down to see IWM and see how the work gets done.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2018, 14:09:04 »
My flight out from Indy for Gencon isn't until 5pm on the Monday. Anyone want to drive me over to the IWM office to do this and then back? :) (Though they are probably closed for the day to move everything back in from Gencon)
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2018, 11:33:13 »
I would love to get down to see IWM and see how the work gets done.

You can see a bit here of it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYopUa34hL4&t=365s

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 April 2018, 17:59:45 »
Probably the wrong place to ask, but is IWM losing the shadowrun license or somehting? All the fasa-era stuff is on sale.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #21 on: 01 April 2018, 20:44:00 »
Typically, anything that's on the shelves in the factory. That includes all the things you mentioned, and more. For anything not yet in distribution, or if they're fulfilling a big order for someone, they might ask that you refrain from those specific items.
this topic... it's about actually going to the store in CVG, quiaff?

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 01 April 2018, 21:25:31 »
The warehouse, aff.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #23 on: 01 April 2018, 22:33:00 »
If my family makes a trek south of CVG, I'll definitely make plans for a pit stop...

Register