Author Topic: Anybody thought of?  (Read 4289 times)

noobk

• Master Sergeant
Anybody thought of?
« on: 04 February 2011, 20:36:38 »
So has any of the RPG folk people ever thought of getting together for and host a game over something like skype, ect? Seems like it would not be that hard, just grab an automated dice program everybody could see online somewhere. Seems like a decent idea at first glance.   #P Fun way to get people together too, I'm not much for an RPG guy, prefer the wargaming side really, but I could see myself playing a game for the sake of BTech and using the new RPG system to give it a whirl.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Anybody thought of?
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2011, 14:55:35 »
A few of my friends keep trying to talk me into something like that, but the scheduling logistics are a nightmare, even when no actual travel is involved.

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
  • mei veneratio est mei vita
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2011, 03:40:05 »
I'd definetly be down for something like that. I agree the logistics of timing can get complicated, especially across so many timezones. One option for rolls is Intelser. Our boards have a built-in dice rolling mechanism, and its built on the SMF like these. Maybe they'll put it in here too, that'd be nice.

If you're really wanting to do the AToW, u can jump into S7 of course. Not quite the same because it's forum-based instead of realtime, but it lets u use the system. If you got a group together over Skype, you could likly play anything that people had access to. I think it'd be fun.
Global Moderator - Intelser.org

"I imagine he burned up on re-entry. That kind of happens when one is spaced in orbit without any kind of flight suit, parachute, or other protective gear...."
-Herb Beas

Space him from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2011, 11:48:18 »
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that before, but now it seems like a fantastic idea.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2011, 17:10:55 »
Well we would need a person to run the story, and 3 or 4 players, no more than 4 though to keep things simple getting a schedule set up for 5 (including GM) people to meet one time a week. It can be the test group :P

Who knows, might start a new fad, haha.

Preferably some way of putting maps up on the web for usage in battles (or at least I think that's preference of most people, instead of always asking "What do I see?")

A way so all players can see the dice rolls.

Can anybody think of any other essentials? RPGs are pretty basic, the beauty of them.  :)

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2011, 18:02:10 »
I personally don't like. The whole idea of RPGs is to socialize...not be separated by technology

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2011, 23:14:03 »
The technology is what is letting us get together in the first place AND talk to new people... People are separated by states in this case and at least the technology gives us a chance.

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2011, 15:08:51 »
there are various programs for dice rolling, but the only way to let everyone see the rolls is to have either a client that everyone logs into(i don't believe any of the normal chat programs such as Trillian or skype have dice rolling built in), would be to use a website everyone can view. Intelser does, but there must be others. Maybe our admins here will implement it at some point.

as for uploading maps, you'd need a scanner for anything hand drawn, or else use some graphics program(even MS paint would work, though the grid would be a pain) and then upload that as an e-mail to everyone thats playing. not really any way to hide parts of the map, or to draw in sections like i can face-to-face that i'm aware of

"I imagine he burned up on re-entry. That kind of happens when one is spaced in orbit without any kind of flight suit, parachute, or other protective gear...."
-Herb Beas

Daemonknight228

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2011, 14:29:22 »
so, is there anyone whose actually interested in trying to run a campaign using say Skype(voice chat makes life so much easier) for one of the RPGs out there, be it ATOW, or DnD, or *shudder* Dark Heresy/Rouge Trader/Deathwatch?

((For the unaware, Deathwatch is the DH-esque game if you want to play Space Marines. Your group forms a Deathwatch Kill Team under the Inquisition's Ordo Xenos, and go around hunting aliens.))

I'd personally totally be down for getting something like that going, and seeing as how I've got alot more free time than most of you with jobs, I'd be willing to DM it aswell.

If anyone's interested, post your preferred game(s), timezone and best/2nd/3rd day/time combo, so we can see how difficult the logistics are going to be here. we can figure out die rolling and maps if we get a group together.

-Herb Beas

Register