Author Topic: Rarely Seen Unseen Art  (Read 2970 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
Rarely Seen Unseen Art
« on: 17 April 2018, 10:33:01 »
So, this is a repost of sort from my own blog, but check this out.  Please note this is nothing official, strictly fan work, and has nothing to do with my status as a freelancer, as a heads up.

About two years ago I started doing some research on the original Battletech Clan IIC designs.  And I think I discovered some really cool stuff that had never been discussed or seen before, at least not since the 90s and not in the US.

As many of you all know, MechWarrior 1 was released in 1989 for DOS and was not too terribly popular, but it was enough to kick off the franchise.  What is less well known is that Mechwarrior 1 was ported to the Sharp X68000 PC in Japan in 1993.  But, do to the obvious unseen issue, with many of the designs (well, all except the Jenner) being based off of Macross or Dougram designs.

For reference, there were 8 'Mechs in Mechwarrior 1: the Locust, the Jenner, the Phoenix Hawk, the Shadow Hawk, the Rifleman, the Warhammer, the Marauder, and the BattleMaster.

So, what the developers of BattleTech X68000 did is redesign those 8 Mechs, which, as you may notice, lines up with 7 of the 8 original Clan IIC mechs.  The only difference is the Griffin IIC and BattleMaster, but as you will clearly see in the art I am about to show below, the BattleMaster from the game became the Griffin IIC.

So, I was able to start the game and what I was able to find was really, really cool.  I was able to get into the mech purchase screen of the game and I took these 8 screenshots:

They kind of show the interior of each mech and their repair status, just like in MechWarrior 1, but with a little more detail.  Furthermore, if you zoom in on the images, they have an orange outline showing the exterior lines of the 'Mech.  But it's kinda hard to see with the X-Ray like view you have going on here, so I imported the images into GIMP, scaled them up by double, and then traced the orange lines with a black line in a separate layer.  The results are really, really cool:

Voila! Clear front views of each IIC 'Mech, never before seen. 

Originally Posted Here: http://blog.crosselectric.net/

Luciora

• Major
Re: Rarely Seen Unseen Art
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2018, 11:17:33 »
Still sad we never got a metal release of the VMI Griffin.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2018, 11:47:32 »
i read about it some time ago maybe back in 96 but i never followed it up to see how that was changed in japan. thanks for finding this little gem...
send me a link to the blog if you have more...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2018, 11:51:53 »
Still sad we never got a metal release of the VMI Griffin.

No argument there. If I could fan finance a sculpt today, that'd be it.

Well, that or a Night Gyr resculpt.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2018, 12:18:20 »
i read about it some time ago maybe back in 96 but i never followed it up to see how that was changed in japan. thanks for finding this little gem...
send me a link to the blog if you have more...

Blog was linked at the bottom of the post, but here it is!

http://blog.crosselectric.net/

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2018, 12:20:29 »
Awesome work Stinger.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really, it is surprising to see more details in your images than in the actual miniatures. Having a Rifleman II in miniature form with those extra details would be lovely.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2018, 12:26:09 »
Awesome sauce, man!  :thumbsup: ;D  I hope we get Classic redesigns for these mechs in the future.
As for the VMI IIC art, they took 80s artwork of the originals and make them look XTREME!!!  :P (yes, the first 'e' fell off in the word extreme.. I couldn't resist, guys).  I first learn about the japanese port from Mektek's MW years of their forum
« Last Edit: 17 April 2018, 12:30:36 by SapphireWolf »

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2018, 12:35:02 »
Okay, this is cool! Ganking this for the podcast
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2018, 12:42:44 »
Okay, this is cool! Ganking this for the podcast

I've got a lot more info.  PM me, I've got some cool stuff.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2018, 13:10:47 »
Holy cow, that's neat.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2018, 02:31:20 »
Not what I expected on clicking on this topic but very cool. :)

ssfsx17

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2018, 12:11:25 »
Mechwarrior 1 was also ported to the PC-98, and titled "BattleTech: Ubawareta no Seihai". It might have the same art, or different art, to the X68000 version.

PC-98 emulation can be an interesting experience - although still an order of magnitude easier than emulating the IBM PC with MS-DOS authentically.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2018, 19:10:00 »
Sounds like E-Bay might be an easier solution to that problem.  I managed to obtain an Apple II-gs on the cheap so I could play Wizard's Crown again.  The power supply blew a couple of capacitors a few years later, but I haven't managed to find the time and effort to fix it yet...

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2018, 22:50:40 »
Sorry anyone for not responding to PMs.  RL is really tough right now.  I'll get to you tomorrow!

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2018, 23:59:40 »
Tagged.  I want everything you got.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2018, 04:33:08 »
Amazing work, thanks for sharing!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2018, 05:37:03 »
Wish this art was used for the minis.  The proportions are much better and look properly stocky instead of awkward gangly.

I'm also getting a huge powerdolls vibe as well.  So mich sadness.

Register