Author Topic: Warship Race Redux  (Read 89258 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Warship Race Redux
« Reply #810 on: 26 May 2020, 17:34:45 »
Children AND grandchildren!  A whole tenth of a G for essentially EVER!?  Sign me up!  :D

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #811 on: 26 May 2020, 19:10:53 »
It's a pretty nifty technology, throwing mass out at twice the speed of light and all.
Not bad, really.  :D
Speaking of technology...  :P

Oh, and slightly rephrasing the earlier question as that might have been overlooked in an edit: What is com equipment supposed to cost? It looks pretty normal with requiring "gunners", so the weight is a bit puzzling.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2020, 19:17:14 by UnLimiTeD »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #812 on: 26 May 2020, 20:59:15 »
A question: I’m considering scrapping the remaining Yang Wei and Binzhou. Problem is I’ve got a nine billion repair bill. What’s the order of operations and would I get the ‘full’ scrap price for them (aka %25)?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #813 on: 26 May 2020, 22:24:01 »
A question: I’m considering scrapping the remaining Yang Wei and Binzhou. Problem is I’ve got a nine billion repair bill. What’s the order of operations and would I get the ‘full’ scrap price for them (aka %25)?

Lets assume (for housekeepings sake) that the individual bills are 6B for the Yang Wei and 3B for the Binshou. 

You can repair (for list cost) and have the ships in service, or scrap.

When scrapping a damaged ship, you get the 1/4 of the remaining value.  IE, if Yang Wei was worth 10B, with a 6B repair bill, its 'remaining value' unrepaired would be 4B, and scrapped, you would get 1B.

In your shoes, I might repair Yang Wei - a Class 3 ship is worth more than 6B - and if need be, refit her into something more useful to you.  Id probalby let Binshou go, unless I felt I needed hull count.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #814 on: 26 May 2020, 22:41:27 »
Thanks: I’ve only got Size One Yards currently is my problem.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2020, 22:42:59 by Tyler Jorgensson »

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #815 on: 26 May 2020, 22:49:29 »
I figure -repairing- a ship is a less extreme activity thab building one.  If it made it home, its spine and core are intact. 

You dont need a class 3 yard to repair.  You would need one for refit - but you need one -anyway-, sooner or later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #816 on: 27 May 2020, 02:49:43 »
It's a pretty nifty technology, throwing mass out at twice the speed of light and all.
Not bad, really.  :D
*snip*
Just to be clear: there's nothing super-luminal going on (special relativity sees to that).  And for a mere tenth of a G, you don't even need to exceed matter/anti-matter annihilation efficiency.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #817 on: 27 May 2020, 03:32:18 »
Well, on stations not quite, but seeing the fuel efficiency of Warships and even fighters, I don't think physics can explain that.
I've always assumed KF drives produce a bubble that increases the speed of the maneuvering drives.

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #818 on: 27 May 2020, 07:00:02 »
How do people feel about a change to refit costs. Thought I had basically boils down to this:

* If your only changing the armour, pay the difference as per previous.
* If your doing any further modifications, pay the difference but the minimum cost is 10% of the new ship cost, to cover labour costs and such. No refit has ever been free after all.

Thoughts?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #819 on: 27 May 2020, 07:16:55 »
I think the rationale for the ‘free’ refit was that the parts stripped could be resold/recycled.  Given the price of some items, such a refit would be like ‘refitting’ gold plates off a ships hull.

That said, you are absolutely right, refits should probably cost more on the whole.  Historically, refitting could approach the cost of a new ship!  At the same time, a ‘refit’ of replacing 100MGs with 100SL should probably not cost a billion C-Bills just cause it was done to the flanks of a 10 billion ship.

I suppose the *best* answer would be something like ‘10% of the cost of everything removed’ (ie no resale, and you have to tear it all out) plus 1.5x the cost of anything added (more expensive to work something into an existing ship than installing on a ship as its built) - but I don't really want to do that math, or ask people to do it, or check it, or try to build a tool that does it.

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
« Reply #820 on: 27 May 2020, 07:40:44 »
W.r.t. drive efficiency, anything beyond about 80 fuel points per .1% of mass is not fusion, as discussed here.  Everything with a strategic drive and more than about 100 tons of mass exceeds this.

W.r.t. refit costs, swapping armors seems pretty invasive/difficult to me.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #821 on: 27 May 2020, 07:54:00 »
We do pay high maintenance on the ships while they are being refitted.
Easy ways I see it could work is
a) Pay 125% of the price difference, minimum 0, + a flat working fee.
of
b) Pay the price difference before the removal and/or downsizing of or drop collars and repair facilities - as those are the main causes of negative (aka 0) refit costs.
I would assume a lot of components are regularly replaced, anyways. I would assume an NAC/40 barrel is worn out after a single battle.
Could probably still do with a minimum of 1% ship value.

Or we could just make ships scheduled for a refit unavailable for the first half of a turn.
Of course, one potential problem is that yards or so cheap compared to our financial means, so the main limit of tying up yard space doesn't apply.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #822 on: 27 May 2020, 07:59:14 »
Yards arent all that cheap, or Id be seeing Class 6 ships all over the place...

But it is a valid point that a ship being refit still pays its maintenance cost, while being unavailable at least part of the turn.  Assuming a 1 year refit (our listed time) any ship being refit is paying 5% of its list price for a year in which it is unavailable for duty.

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #823 on: 27 May 2020, 08:20:46 »
SIDE NOTE:

The Terran Hegemony Navy is disposing of the following ships at the following prices:

CL Cruiser x21,      1.865B                                  
SC Bonaventure x28   1.259B         
DD Lola x 5   1.663B  (All 5 SOLD)         
BB Dreadnought x1*   2.025B         
BC Black Lion x 1   1.751B   

These ships are available for sale to PERIPHERY POWERS ONLY.

Players will have first dibs on them, though the periphery powers are mostly NPC right now.

First come first served, claim by posting here.  Don't be greedy**

These are scrap prices, so its the largest hulls you will get this cheap pretty much ever. (Also selling at scrap price means I can go ahead and do the TH turn either way - whatever isnt bought is scrapped) Their old designs, but okay.  If you have yards large enough to host them, remember that you can refit them into something likely more to your taste, though sadly nothing to be done about the very low Structural Integrity Values.  Still, the very, very large cargo spaces allow them to serve as colliers to other warships, or could support conversion to carrier type duties.  Lola and Dreadnought specifically jump out at me here.

*It is dropping both from service, but one is being retained as a museum ship.

**  The Leadership of the Principality of Rasalhague regrets to inform the Admiralty that they will not be spending another decades budget on yet another fleet to launch like a missile at the DC.  Buy a few if you want, but be reasonable.  :)
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 14:27:31 by marcussmythe »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #824 on: 27 May 2020, 09:34:59 »
You know, that was actually a very successful action for the PoR.
They did more damage than they took.

... so ... if those ships are "scrapped", will they show up in pirate fleets, as well?
Because that's gonna be some serious piracy.  xp
Can I found a new periphery nation as a puppet state?

Interesting that a ship being refit is unavailable, while a ship being built is there immediately.
Though I also noticed that pretty much all the action last turn took place in the last 2 years or so.

Edit: Seems like the Hegemony came out stronger from this conflict. Minus the territory lost, of course.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 10:36:30 by UnLimiTeD »

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #825 on: 27 May 2020, 10:45:10 »
You know, that was actually a very successful action for the PoR.
They did more damage than they took.

... so ... if those ships are "scrapped", will they show up in pirate fleets, as well?
Because that's gonna be some serious piracy.  xp
Can I found a new periphery nation as a puppet state?

Interesting that a ship being refit is unavailable, while a ship being built is there immediately.
Though I also noticed that pretty much all the action last turn took place in the last 2 years or so.

Edit: Seems like the Hegemony came out stronger from this conflict. Minus the territory lost, of course.

More damage than they took given the price they paid for the ships, yes.  Is that still the case if you count the value of what they lost?  Should be close...

Im not in charge of Piracy, Smegish is.  But my thought is 'no', given the change in focus in the THN.  I imagine Cortez is cleaning house behind the scenes and using a battleaxe to do it.

No, no puppet states.  Talk a player into it.

We actually take both refit dates and construction dates into account on force availability.

EH, the THN has less budget than before, and lost a yard.  If there had been the impetus to 'fix the problems' two turns ago, they would be in a FAR better position now.  Still, though their absolute hull count is way down, it is still VERY high compared to the amount of space it is responsible for, and their discretionary budget is actually larger, as they have cut their maintenance load way back. 

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #826 on: 27 May 2020, 12:09:13 »
More damage than they took given the price they paid for the ships, yes.  Is that still the case if you count the value of what they lost?  Should be close...
Well, ignoring a potential reduction in economic capacity, the listed costs, required repairs, and force replacements(which are halved to account for maintenance had they not needed replacement), I calculated about 75b in damages, not including the Luthien yards, which would be another 50b. Besides, what something is worth is irrelevant if you get it for less.  ;)

But now for the important questions: Where did he get that battleaxe? It was the Rasalhagueians, was it? 

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #827 on: 27 May 2020, 12:21:43 »
SIDE NOTE:

The Terran Hegemony Navy is disposing of the following ships at the following prices:

CL Cruiser x21,      1.865B                                  
SC Bonaventure x28   1.259B         
DD Lola x 5   1.663B            
BB Dreadnought x1*   2.025B         
BC Black Lion x 1   1.751B   

These ships are available for sale to PERIPHERY POWERS ONLY.

Players will have first dibs on them, though the periphery powers are mostly NPC right now.

First come first served, claim by posting here.  Don't be greedy**

These are scrap prices, so its the largest hulls you will get this cheap pretty much ever. (Also selling at scrap price means I can go ahead and do the TH turn either way - whatever isnt bought is scrapped) Their old designs, but okay.  If you have yards large enough to host them, remember that you can refit them into something likely more to your taste, though sadly nothing to be done about the very low Structural Integrity Values.  Still, the very, very large cargo spaces allow them to serve as colliers to other warships, or could support conversion to carrier type duties.  Lola and Dreadnought specifically jump out at me here.

*It is dropping both from service, but one is being retained as a museum ship.

**  The Leadership of the Principality of Rasalhague regrets to inform the Admiralty that they will not be spending another decades budget on yet another fleet to launch like a missile at the DC.  Buy a few if you want, but be reasonable.  :)

You're killing me Smalls! ;D

But no the Fleet Admiral wouldn't dare try and convince the Prince to do that again. He will definitely try and convince to buy a couple of them though: such great prices.

EDIT: Mark me down for all Five Lola's. My math has been getting better: 8.3175 Billion?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 18:24:57 by Tyler Jorgensson »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #828 on: 27 May 2020, 17:41:06 »
W.r.t. drive efficiency, anything beyond about 80 fuel points per .1% of mass is not fusion, as discussed here.  Everything with a strategic drive and more than about 100 tons of mass exceeds this.

W.r.t. refit costs, swapping armors seems pretty invasive/difficult to me.
And as discussed in that other thread, tactical thrust is pretty much OK.  Strategic Thrust around the order of 0.1 g is also mostly ok, but 1g+ is right out.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #829 on: 28 May 2020, 10:38:54 »
LC is offering the Sontra 1a for sale.

They are $4,818 Million space bucks.

Scrapped they are worth $1,204.5 Million space bucks.

Make offers, am looking for space bucks and political concessions.

Neighbors can apply but govt would want extra guarantees.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #830 on: 28 May 2020, 11:14:02 »
I've planned to build a battlecruiser for 2 turns. Last turn, I revised the design, and it was too big again, so I wanted to build it this turn.
But now, the triumphant launch might be a touch diminished given the cost and reduced available budget.
But if I build them next turn, I lose out on a turn of work for my largest yard.
But then, they are more a prestige project, and wouldn't necessarily help in the current situation. Tricky.

... Damn, the new weapon listing is hardly readable.
Why you want to get rid of them, though? They are your only ship that could actually reliably catch pirates operating in your territory.

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #831 on: 28 May 2020, 11:30:47 »
I've planned to build a battlecruiser for 2 turns. Last turn, I revised the design, and it was too big again, so I wanted to build it this turn.
But now, the triumphant launch might be a touch diminished given the cost and reduced available budget.
But if I build them next turn, I lose out on a turn of work for my largest yard.
But then, they are more a prestige project, and wouldn't necessarily help in the current situation. Tricky.

Why you want to get rid of them, though? They are your only ship that could actually reliably catch pirates operating in your territory.

I'm thinking of a variant that you can't just upgrade the old models from (more SI and less thrust) and I don't know if I want to have two distinct versions of the Sontra floating around.

And this is the one turn where a bunch of fleets have been flattened so it is a sellers market.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #832 on: 28 May 2020, 11:59:44 »
I have very little time, barely enough to reply, want Dreadnought. Hopefully will post soonest.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #833 on: 28 May 2020, 12:47:31 »

Prestige -is- a role for a warship to serve, and arguably an important one.  'Look at my two big SCAAARY Battleships' may have more diplomatic and political impact than 'Here are twenty boring but effective cruisers', even though the twenty cruisers are more useful.

I dont find the weapon list at all hard to read?  Maybe my eyes are just used to it, having done the conversion. 

Although the phrase 'Battlecruiser' itself makes me think.  Real world ship classes represented roles, and were meaningful (usually).  They have come to make less sense over time - 'cruisers' and 'destroyers' are often the main combatants of a modern navy, but those terms are used rather than 'battleship' because to us 'battleship' means 'big guns', which are not a major naval weapon at this time.

Heck... consider 'ship of the line' vs. 'line of battle-ship' vs 'battleship' (predreadnought) vs. "Dreadnought Battleship" vs. "Superdreadnought" (and the Battlecruisers that were mostly contemporaneous with the Superdreadnoughts) vs. the post-WW1 'Fast Battleship' (theoretically the marriage of the Superdreadnoughts and the Battlecruisers - sacrificing neither armor nor speed, and paying a lofty premium in tonnage and cost to do both at once).

I imagine that each navy will tend to break down ships by intended roles, and it will take a while for nomenclature to standardize (if it ever does).

My own preference runs to large, multirole ships - I dont think the return on investment in specialization is worth the payoff, in this design space - thus the Quan Yin and Pallada for the Capellan Confederation - both large, and both multirole (though not EVERY role - Pallada does different jobs than Quan Yin, but both cover a lot of jobs - between them, most of the jobs the CC needed done).   If I still had the CC, theyd probably keep using the phrase 'Cruiser' for multirole ships... Light, Heavy, and a hypothetical 'Battlecruiser' if they ever go much bigger than Quan Yin.. and would then use more specialized designations for 'pure warships'... Battleship or Dreadnought/Destroyer/Frigate perhaps.  Fighter carriage is an independent variable, though a 'Cruiser' is likely to carry DIFFERENT fighters, with different cargo loads to feed them, than a Battleship.

Over on the THN side of things, they are throwing 'multirole' to the winds.  The THN just got plastered, and it needs to not lose fights.  Its territory is tight enough that 'long range' isnt an issue... no ship will ever be more than a jump away from a friendly world, and no ship is every likely to be more than a month away from Terra.  So range is largely a non-issue.

Of these, the Constitutions are still fairly 'multirole', and carry a lot of cargo for the THN - and thus are Cruisers.  The new Iron Duke class is PURE Wall of Battle Crunch, and thus Battleships.  The Typhoons are a one off 'Dreadnought' Class, probably headed for a role as fleet support and command ships, and unlikely to be repeated (due to the cost of combining LFBs with Collars). 

All LFB ships get the designation 'Fast' - to reflect their high strategic speed.

Im not sure about future THN designations.  In time, I think the Constitutions will become the 'light escort/maid of all work' hulls of the THN - continue to be mutirole 'do-everything' style hulls.  I dont know if there will ever be a PURE 'fleet escort' design - a hypothetical Constitution weight hull with the multirole capacity sacrificed in the name of AAA/PDS fit.  Its possible that a Connie successor will just grow more of that over time, and her designation move from 'Cruiser' to "Light Cruiser, with the Iron Duke falling into a support role for a later class of heavier battleships.

Id REALLY like to see the THN add additional specialized classes over time, but right now they need pure combat weight ASAP, and are only allowing themselves one 'multirole' ship.   And in all fairness, despite having so many different ship classes, the historic Jutland era navies really only broke down to a few main types.. BBs, BCs (likely a mistake, but not as bad one as some judge, IMHO), Armored Cruisers (a dying class by WWI) Light Cruisers (mostly destroyer leaders and anti-destroyer and escort duties) and DDs (first created to oppose, and later replacing, the Torpedo Boat.. Destroyer was originally short for 'Torpedo Boat Destoryer')

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #834 on: 28 May 2020, 13:37:36 »
Yes, the terms will be different for each power, and probably change over time, as well.
I've mostly been going by the original concept of a battle cruiser, which was meant to be mostly a bigger cruiser with dreadnought armament, and thus able to hunt down anything short of actual battleships and give the British empire wide area naval coverage.
That they didn't work well in a fleet engagement should come as no surprise given they were never meant to be.
As such, the design as it is is also un-optimised, and not really what the Navy needs atm. But then, by now it's probably Nihongi's turn to rule, and him being distant and incapable could influence that decision either way. I've no data on his vanity stat.  :-\
I dont find the weapon list at all hard to read?  Maybe my eyes are just used to it, having done the conversion. 
Maybe it's just me, not being used to shorthands for the missiles - but I find I often recognize words by their structure (as all people in western languages can do), and everything being written in caps without slashes makes it rather samey.

Jester Motley

• Corporal
« Reply #835 on: 28 May 2020, 16:13:41 »

I needed one more turn to get where I wanted but... nooooo...  stupid war and stuff getting in the way of me making my toys.

As long as its consistent, I don't care how we name weapons.  If you'd like to change all the existing designs, just let me know how the new format will parse?

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #836 on: 28 May 2020, 16:29:56 »
In this verse, Nihogi Kurita ascends to the throne in 2388.  His rule is, generally, not particularly aggressive (for a Kurita), nor is it particularly competent or incompetent.

This version of Nihongi is... about dead center on all the meters of 'House Kurita', at least in his effect on policy, economics, warmaking, etc.  If hes crazy as a monkey on acid in his private time... well, your welcome to creative control on that. :)

Jester Motley

• Corporal
« Reply #837 on: 28 May 2020, 16:38:25 »
In this verse, Nihogi Kurita ascends to the throne in 2388.  His rule is, generally, not particularly aggressive (for a Kurita), nor is it particularly competent or incompetent.

This version of Nihongi is... about dead center on all the meters of 'House Kurita', at least in his effect on policy, economics, warmaking, etc.  If hes crazy as a monkey on acid in his private time... well, your welcome to creative control on that. :)

I read that as "nor is it particularly continent or incontinent" and then hit the part about monkey on acid.  I laughed.  FedSun propaganda will make hay with that.

As to ship designations, they are all over the place historically.  Just look at the various ways Frigate gets used.  Anything from an army sea vessel, to missile ship/anti sub ship, to larger than anything but a ship-of-the-line warship, to a armed merchant marine ship...  And then some.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #838 on: 28 May 2020, 17:09:00 »
Corvette: Fast, Lightly armed, patrol/anti-raider
Destroyer: Bigger Fast Well Armed: think a Wolf or a Shark: work well in packs
Frigate: Slow up a Destroyer and add more guns: sometimes a Jack of All Trades
Cruiser: Bigger Line Ship, Commands Small Squadrons, functions often as a gunboat
Battlecruiser: Battleship + Cruiser : aka a faster Battleship
Battleship: Big Boy with lots of very big Guns: killer
Dreadnought: Biggest Boy on the Block: Fleet Command Ship, Superweapon
Carrier: Obvious but I only break them down into regular and Supercarriers

That’s at least the way I tend to group ships. Course some of my original RP was Star Wars do theirs that. Their are some examples of misnaming a ship intentionally to confuse the enemy.

With the PoR’s limited resources I’ve made the Hund a jack of all trades Frigate, augmented by the Lola Cruisers and Vittoria Destroyers. I really need a Carrier, Fast Corvette for anti-pirate duties, and eventually my own better Cruiser or big Destroyer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #839 on: 28 May 2020, 17:18:59 »
Don't forget the name "Destroyer" came from "Torpedo Boat Destroyer"... they need to be able to pop PWSs very quickly...