Author Topic: Gimme STats for...The Butcherbird! (Stat my fluff)  (Read 1205 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Gimme STats for...The Butcherbird! (Stat my fluff)
« on: 03 March 2018, 19:40:24 »
I will give you fluff, gimme designs! :)

The Butcherbird is a light fighter intended to fill a wide role-it's meant to serve as a ground-attack and light interception platform built and intended entirely for export in the 3050-3062 marketplace.  That's right, the Great House that owns the production line isn't keeping any for themselves, it's meant to be sold out and sold off, whether to local mercs, local vassal lords, the periphery, or foreign alliances, the Butcherbird is a plane built to sell...and by sell, we mean, it's built to be as dirt-cheap as possible while being relatively effective against serious opponents.  Much like the famous Mig-21 or F-5 "Freedom fighter" it is intended to serve in multiple roles, be easy and inexpensive (relatively) to maintain, and cheap to construct, while being adequately durable in a fight with statistically better or more numerous (but not both) opponents.

To that end, very little recovered tech was used in the design of the craft, though the wiring harnesses and couplings were designed for significantly heavier uses, and the engine compartment was designed to be able to accomodate larger, bulkier, and more powerful engine packages with little modification (this also makes it easier to maintain or repair).

Studies of physiology and psychology were used to design a flight deck and instrument panel that would be easily trained on, and the first models are two-seat advanced trainers.  Notably, the aircraft's controls are intended to be responsive and intuitive for pilots trained to fly more ordinary, and mundane craft such as VTOLs or conventional civilian airplanes, with control switches arranged in 'fingertip' fashion to enable (with very little training) pilots to quickly select weapons and other systems with minimum movement under high G-loading stresses.  Instrument displays are projected on a heads-up display to enable situational awareness superior to that of other common succession-wars-era cockpits, and the cockpits themselves include a variety of ergonomic solutions to enable pilots to function at peak efficiency with minimal discomfort, including but not limited to pilot relief tubes being integrated and angled to maximize the pilot's ability to 'release pressure' even while under high G-loading without discomfort or disgusting messes.

while nothing in the design is particularly advanced, the pilot ergonomics, easy maintenance, speed, and fuel range are considered exceptional for a fighter in this price range (competitive with used staples such as the SB-27 Saber), and the use of technologies being phased out of front-line service by the Great Houses further reduces the over-all cost of the design for operators.

[let's see what kinda stats  you guys can derive from this]
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Gimme STats for...The Butcherbird! (Stat my fluff)
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2018, 21:24:56 »
Again, like the 'Mech challenge, can be interesting...this time, though, it can be relatively simple to go all 3025 tech...

BBD-1X ButcherBird
Tonnage: 45 tons
Engine: 180 standard - 7 tons
Cruise MP: 6
Flank MP: 9
Heat Sinks: 12 - 2 tons
Fuel: 6 tons
Cockpit: 3 tons
Armor: 192 - 12 tons
Nose: 65
Wings: 45
Aft: 37
Weapons:
Large Laser: Nose - 5 tons
2 Medium Lasers: RW - 2 tons
LRM-5: RW - 2 tons
2 Medium Lasers: LW - 2 tons
LRM-5: LW - 2 tons
2 Small Lasers: Aft - 1 ton
Ammo(LRM)24: 1 ton

Not the most powerful of designs, but serviceable, I think...and with room to upgrade the engine, heat sinks, armor and weapons...for which, I would go to a 270 XL to up the acceleration, with ferro-aluminum armor to make up the half ton difference, double heat sinks, dropping the spare two in the process, to upgrade the large laser to an ER PPC, and upgrade the small lasers to ER models...or maybe just upgrade the large laser to a snub-nose PPC, and use the extra ton to upgrade the small lasers to mediums...

Ruger
« Last Edit: 04 March 2018, 09:30:29 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2018, 08:31:51 »
"Very little" and "spacious engine compartment" seems to imply I can get away with DHS...
If it wasn't so light, I'd try to cram in a Blazer Cannon too...
Code: [Select]
BBR-2B
Tonnage: 30
Engine: 180 standard - 7 tons
Cruise MP: 8
Flank MP: 12
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Fuel: 6 tons
Cockpit: 3 tons
Armor: 128 - 8 tons
Nose: 45
Wings: 31
Aft: 21
Weapons:
6 Medium Lasers (2 Nose and each Wing)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2018, 00:42:21 »
Assuming my aerospace design skills aren't that rusty, seeing how I did it by hand.

My Butcherbird, is a light fighter equipped with a PPC as it’s primary weapon backed by medium lasers in wing mounts and a small laser to keep enemies off it's backside.
The B-model drops the PPC to a Lg Laser, and adds in 4 STAKE ADAT missiles (RL10) in the Nose as well

Butcherbird
Class/Model/Name: 
Mass:              30 tons

Equipment:                                                              Mass
Power Plant:  180 Fusion                                               7.0
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 8
      Maximum Thrust: 12
Structural Integrity: 10                                                 .00
Total Heat Sinks:    10 Single                                          0.00
Fuel:                                                                   4.00
Cockpit & Attitude Thrusters:                                           3.00
Armor Type:  Standard  (104 total armor pts)                            6.50
                           Standard Scale Armor Pts
   Nose:                                30
   Left/Right Wings:                   26/26
   Aft:                                  22

Weapons and Equipment      Loc        SRV    MRV    LRV    ERV  Heat    Mass
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PPC                      Nose        10     10     --     --   10      7.00
1 Medium Laser             RW           5     --     --     --    3      1.00
1 Medium Laser             LW           5     --     --     --    3      1.00
1 Small Laser              Aft          3     --     --     --    1       .50
TOTALS:                                                    Heat: 17     30.00
Tons Left:                                                                .00
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register