Author Topic: Data Cards and Advice for Fixed Defenses?  (Read 1773 times)

Colonial13

• Private
Data Cards and Advice for Fixed Defenses?
« on: 30 October 2019, 12:51:52 »
Getting ready to kick off an Alpha Strike campaign and fixed defenses will play a part in some missions, LRM and SRM turrets.  I couldn’t find any data cards for these on the MUL (not surprised, since they really aren’t “units”), has anyone used data cards for these in the past?  If so, what did you use for all the stats?  I was thinking of the following:

LRM Turret
Armor - 3
Structure - 1
S - 0
M - 2
L - 4
TMM - 0

SRM Turret
Armor - 4
Structure - 1
S - 4
M - 2
L - 0
TMM - 0
That moment when you realize all your favorite mechs are Capellan designs... *shrug* Long live the Chancellor!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Data Cards and Advice for Fixed Defenses?
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2019, 14:38:00 »
Generally, start with choosing a building from ASCE p73 Buildings Table.
ASCE p138 then has simple rules for arming buildings without having to pull out TechManual and/or Tactical Operations to build one.  (Oh great, and they need errata...)

If you want specifics on what weapons it has (instead of ASCE p138's really simple just give it damage), use ASC p106, pick the weapons you want to arm it with, and multiply the damage values by the number of them it carries (and then round up to the next whole number when done).

Three LRM-15s... They are .45 at S, and .9 at M and L each.  So 1.35/2.7/2.7 would round up to 2/3/3 for three LRM-15s.  It would have IF3 and LRM 1/3/3 (special abilities are round normal instead of round up).

Two SRM-6s (.6 each at S and M) and a Medium Laser (.5 at S and M) would be 1.7/1.7 or 2/2/0 with SRM 1/1.

TMM would indeed be 0.  Note they are also immobile, so would give the -4 target number for immobile on top of the +0 TMM.  Nobody is going to miss them.  Keep that in mind when giving them armor/structure.

You can also armor a building.  Buildings generally have only a CF value.  but you can add armor up to its CF value. 

So you can take a Heavy, Small Gun Emplacement from ASCE p73 (CF default of 8).  Maximize it's armor at 8 so it has Armor 8, CF 8.  Give it three LRM-15s in a turret and it will have TUR(2/3/3, IF3, LRM1/3/3) for its attack.

Then put some infantry in it, just because. :)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

LegoMech

• Private
Re: Data Cards and Advice for Fixed Defenses?
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2019, 20:20:19 »
Wow, that is super helpful! Knowing how to build these out officially is great.

I have used gun emplacements in casual campaign missions before. I had it do 1 damage at short and medium range with a skill of 4 and armor/structure of 1. It was immobile, but because it was on a building that needed to be captured intact it had a +2 penalty for partial cover to reflect the attacker trying to avoid damaging the building structure (this was prior to the cover modifier changing).

I was just totally winging it with that, though. The idea was that there were a few of them that were required targets for the attackers to take out (one of the mission objectives), and even though they were easy to destroy and not much of a threat, that was an attack not targeting the defender mechs that were firing back at them.

Register