Author Topic: MoC MIM  (Read 302 times)

Porshadoxus

• Recruit
  • Kill the meat. Save the metal.
MoC MIM
« on: 14 April 2024, 15:28:54 »
I've strolled through the Periphery subforum and cannot find this discussion. Forgive me if I've missed it.

Several sources (not cited) speak of the Magistracy's sudden rise in intelligence capability, but I cannot recall seeing an explanation for that increase. Is the increased capability of the MIM explained somewhere? If not, what are the leading theories that explain the phenomenon?
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: MoC MIM
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2024, 19:26:21 »
My guess for years was that they stumbled over either a Clan Wolverine grouping , or a an ex-star league Intel post somewhere out on the Rim.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2024, 19:41:04 »
You had a change of leadership with Emma Centrella in charge during the 3040-60s, a strong very involved Magistrix can be a major boon to your covert service. The increase could also be related to the general increase in connectivity and prosperity due to the Helm Core bringing new jumpships online which allowed the formerly astrographically constrained MIM to operate further afield. Additionally there was closer cooperation with the Davions early on, and Taurians, Capellans, and Word of Blake later that could explain some of their increased capability. Plus the Canopians were the only periphery realm to venture into the Clan Homeworlds during the Great Refusal and there is a high likelihood there were many MIM operatives within that contingent that came back with ideas, personnel, data, and prototype equipment from Huntress.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2024, 20:13:15 »
And then there's the Ebon Magistrate, which AFAIK hasn't had its origins explained anywhere; they just suddenly were always there.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2024, 20:47:17 »
And then there's the Ebon Magistrate, which AFAIK hasn't had its origins explained anywhere; they just suddenly were always there.

I mean they weren't 'always there' it's heavily implied to be Emma Centrella's answer to a Lohegrin/Death Commando-type organization of fanatically loyal and cybernetically enhanced covert operatives. Its probable that they were formerly something of a secret police/ROM-adjacent that took on more paramilitary missions until the Shadow War.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2024, 04:41:56 »
Canopian intelligence agencies were always excellent.  Somebody got sloppy and everyone else found out that they existed.  :wink:

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2024, 00:12:41 »
There hasn't really been an explanation so far. There have been a couple of theories, but none of them really stand out.

The big ones are.

Funding - Dump enough money in there, and you can achieve results. Then again, everyone else can as well. Its a possibility that with the rise in technology and borders being more open, that the MIM has just taken advantage of things (remember, for the most part their neighbors are Periphery nations and the FWL and CapCon who weren't in the best shape in the 40's and early 50's).

Defector/Outside help - The idea that the Magistracy at some point got outside help. Either from some sort of defector, or some other faction decided to boost them for some odd reason. Theories range from the Dragoons to the Davions. The Wolverines/Minnesota tribe is also a popular(?) choice. I will suggest another "outside help" theory. The Magistracy basically brought in outside help themselves when they brought in Hadji Doru to help command the MAF. Its possible that at some point, the Magistracy did that for their Intelligence services as well, and we just don't know it.

Outside Tech -The Magistracy has an odd history with technology. They're pretty Mech poor during the Succession War, but some of the earliest fluff talks about them having sources of units from beyond the Periphery. At some point they managed to get their hands on some Dictator DropShips as well. Throw in some sort of tech buff for the Magistracy's Intelligence Services, and that could explain some advances.

Not always there, just suddenly there. I still think they're a recent (3050s) development. I will say one thing about them. They make sense in theory. If you're a nation that's know for your medical technology, then when you're looking to improve the effectiveness of your soldiers in some way, you probably can't be too surprised when someone suggests a medical solution to the problem. Especially when one of your buddies is doing something similar (The Cappies). I would be interested in when the first Myomer implants were done.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2024, 18:57:51 »
Handbook: Major Periphery Powers (pg. 88-89) set just pre-Jihad very much implies that the MIM was the best intelligence agency in the periphery prior to the Reunification War. Then during the Star League era it was forced to report to the Star League Council and suffered from a lot of budget cuts.

It then goes on to say that during the Succession Wars era, the MIM got more funding and mandates/missions that had been shuttered during the Star League era. That it regained its reputation as the best intelligence agency in the periphery.

It says this contributed to excellent work during the Andurien War of Succession, helping to enable the early victories against the CCAF, which began in the early 3030s, but that work wasn't sufficient to prevent the defeat the MAF suffered.

It then goes on to say that the followers of Kyalla were purged after her attempt to assassinate her daughter Emma. The MIM was then purged of some elements in the aftermath of that, and restructured, and given more funding. It suggests that the MIM was tasked to monitor the Inner Sphere's response to the Clan Invasion in the 3050s, which sent their agents pretty far and wide.

It goes on to speculate about how the MIM got so good, implying that they got a lot more money and talent from the 3040s onward. It does talk about the rumors of the Ebon Magistrate, including rumors that these elite covert operatives have received "personal modifications."

So that book does a decent job breaking it down. Even if some of the things it says are presented at that time as just rumor. We now know a lot of those rumors are fact. It does vaguely reference the rumor/idea that the MoC found some lostech cache or that the MIM gained some mysterious benefactor. Though it does wrap it all up by saying maybe this is just all Emma's doing, that she sought to build up the MIM into what it became and was successful.

It feels to me like they left some doors open to future writers, but also threw a "the simplest solution is the right one" logical answer into the mix, just the idea that Emma sought to improve the agency and threw resources at that priority (an agency that reported ONLY to her by the way, if I recall correctly, General Hadji Doru tried to restructure this and she refused that recommendation, according to FM: Periphery in the MoC section that addresses the MIM). So during Emma's time the MIM got very good.

During Emma's time, she also kept a tight hold on who the MIM reported to, ensuring that it only reported to her. I don't think this is a coincidence. I think those two concepts go tightly together.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2024, 19:05:24 by Alan Grant »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2024, 23:05:38 »
Yeah, there's still a little bit of mystery, but nothing that really goes one way or another beyond the obvious. I was thinking maybe the MIM might have used Augmented Personnel during the Succession Wars to get a boost on operations, but nothing really indicates that.

Register