Author Topic: Actually Good Introtech Mechs  (Read 1477 times)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
Actually Good Introtech Mechs
« on: 25 March 2024, 08:25:59 »
I want to pull together a list of highly BV efficient IntroTech mechs. The kind you want to make sure that the new player takes to give them an Edge and ensure they have a good time. Looking to exclude anything that requires strong synergy, situational use cases, alternate munitions, or to be any good at playing the game.

The two examples that jump immediately to mind are:
  • Awesome 8Q
  • Grasshopper 5N
The sort of stuff you might actually take in a later Era game.

ravensword

• Sergeant
Re: Actually Good Introtech Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2024, 08:40:03 »
Wolverine WVR-6M.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2024, 09:40:41 »
PNT-9ALAG
FRB-2E
PHX-1D and1K
WHM-6D and 6K
MAD-3L and 3D

All of those I'd still take in a later game, they are tough, heat efficient, and pack adequate firepower for the mass class.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2024, 09:44:39 »
ARC-2R Archer.
Can't remember which variant it is that I liked but there is an introtech Stalker I wouldn't mind taking in later eras.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2024, 10:58:20 »
VND-1R Vindicator - the very definition of a trooper mech. A touch slow but capable of hitting at distance and closer up that will rarely heat up.

OST-4D Ostsol - fast for a 60 tonner, a plethora of lasers and a decent amount of heatsinks to cope with bracket fire.

SHD-2H Shadow Hawk. Ok it kinda sucks. Unbalanced movement with only 3JJ, a whole different mess of weapons systems which are mismatched and inefficient but it can fulfil most rolls - albeit in a lackluster way but it's never going to be run down by a Hunchback and caught inside that 9 hex bubble conversely, it's faster and more capable being up close and in the face of an LRM boat like an Archer. It's a good mech for learning about movement, heat and ranges.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2024, 11:23:59 »
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk. Ok it kinda sucks....

To be honest, the SHD-2H is exactly the sort of mech I want to steer people away from.   Commonly recommended, but basically useless until already know enough that recommended mechs lists aren't all that helpful.

Eiretech

• Recruit
  • Demo Agent #1076
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2024, 11:34:07 »
STC-2C Striker - General purpose 80 tonner, essentially a better Zeus
ON1-K Orion - Good Ol Orion
RVN-4X Raven - More armour, machine guns, jump jets and no EW system
BJ-1DB Blackjack - Swaps AC2s for Large Lasers and extra heat sinks
CRB-20 Crab - Good Ol Crab
CPLT-C1 Catapult - Can't go wrong with the classic 'Pult
GLT-4L Guillotine - a more close quarter Grasshopper
CRD-3D Crusader - It's explodes a little less frequently but also has more heat sinks to fire it's weapons
VND-1R Vindicator - One of the best trooper Mechs in my opinion.
4/6 is fast enough

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2024, 12:23:45 »
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the WLF-1A Wolfhound , JVN-10F Fire Javelin, CLPT-2K Catapult or BNC-3S Banshee.
I have spoken.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2024, 13:30:19 »
ENR-4R the basic enforcer's not a bad mech, it's a medium trooper that you can't really go wrong with, the ONLY issue with it is the ammo's a bit light
The Suns will shine again

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2024, 15:09:20 »
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the WLF-1A Wolfhound , JVN-10F Fire Javelin, CLPT-2K Catapult or BNC-3S Banshee.
Another vote for the JVN-10F Fire Javelin. You gotta throw a few light mechs in there somewhere
and it's comparatively more survivable then most of the others.
I might consider the Disco Ball  as well. ( HBK-4P Hunchback)
It's simple to use and lets a new player throw a LOT of dice once they're in range.
Throwing a fist full of dice at once is fun within itself.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 15:11:44 by House Davie Merc »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2024, 15:14:48 »
Of all the 'Mechs that spring to my mind, only one wasn’t mentioned yet:
AS7-WGS
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2024, 16:36:48 »
 If we are just looking at lights:
 MON-67 Mongoose
 JVN-10F Javelin
 FRB-2E Firebee
 JR7-F Jenner (The base model is quite good, but I do not think it is what you are after)
 PNT-9R Panther

The three original bugs are fairly user friendly but left out because I do not think that they represent what you are after. The Flea similarly deserves some recognition. I shrugged when considering whether or not to list the Mercury.
 The Wolfhound did not make the cut because of all of the ways I have seen the thing misplayed or overplayed that has cost players.

« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 16:43:59 by Minemech »

LAMFAN

• Corporal
  • Powered by LAM Autism
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2024, 17:10:23 »
Personally, THE GOAT:

TDR-5S Thunderbolt
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 17:23:24 by LAMFAN »
"It's called the Death Basket, because I'm riding this coffin all the way to Hell!"

CEO of Hamric Industries and Hamric's Hammers Mercenary Unit

Want to play with Air Mech's without the extra Battlemech/ASF mode of LAMs? Try Air-Slip Mechs!
AIR-SLIP MECH: LORE AND RULES

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2024, 17:29:59 »
Some introtech i've enjoyed outside of introtech play

AS7-RS
AWS-8Q
BNC-3S
BJ-1DB
CPLT-K2
CN9-AL
CGR-1A5
CRB-20
CNS-3M
DRG-1G
GRF-1N
GLT-4L
HOP-4B
HBK-4H
JVN-10F
JR7-A
JR7-F
LNC25-02
LNX-8Q
MAD-3D
MAD-4A
MON-68
OTT-7J
PX-3R
PXH-1D
RFL-3C
STN-3KB
STK-3H
THG-10E
TI-1A
TBT-5N
VND-1R
VON 4RH-5
VL-5T
WHM-6D
WLF-1
WVR-6M
XNT-3O
ZEU-6T

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2024, 17:51:50 »
The humble, overlooked BJ-1 Blackjack is actually really solid.  4 MLs, a pair of AC2s that are great light flak, solid armor, decent mobility.

It's hard to beat a basic, bog-standard Hunchback-4G.  It's a reasonably mobile, well-armored AC20, what more do you want?

The CN9-AL Centurion is great.

The CRB-20 Crab is very solid.

The VLK-QA Valkyrie is pretty basic, but it's a mobile LRM10 with backup ML.  Simple.  Effective. Still useful.

Just a few that come to mind offhand that I didn't see mentioned, or at least commented on.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2024, 18:07:45 »
"Good" is a relative term.  A Grasshopper is a superior Skirmisher, but a lousy sniper.

Most of our local games have a win condition of a fast unit making it to the other player's deployment edge and gathering up points there.  For that, I usually pull the following:
Locust LCT-1E
Locust LCT-1S
Mercury MCY-98
Mongoose Mon-67
Jenner JR7-F

For Skirmishers, I usually look at the Wolverine 6M, but have used one of the Phoenix Hawks (PXH-1D is good), Gladiator GLD-4R, Grasshopper, or Guillotine for that role.

For a Brawler, the Thunderbolt is a favorite, and 4/5 designs will fit that role well.  The TDR-5D is a little underwhelming on firepower, so not my first choice unless I just want to freak someone out.  The Black Knight, Centurion, and 4G or 4P Hunchbacks also serve this role well.

For Fire Support, I usually save the Awesome as a secondary list for new players, but I sometimes use Missile Boats like the Archer personally or a Stalker to do a dual role of Fire Support and Juggernaut.

What is good will largely depend on what you "need" to play, what "holes" you need to fill in your lance, and what BV is left.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2024, 19:56:40 »
Glad to see the LCT-1E included.  The STG-3G is another solid Introtech 20-tonner.

It's a one-off, but the GRF-1E is also great.  I also am really fond of the EXT-4A Exterminator and the GHR-5N Grasshopper.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2024, 20:16:51 »
"Good" may be relative but "BV efficient introtech you would use in later eras" is significantly less so.

For my money BV, the list isn't very long:

Awesome 8Q
Battlemaster 1G and 1D (1D definitely fits better for OP's intent)
Orion 1-V
Wolverine 6M
Shadow Hawk 2H (it's the most efficient armor at this speed for BV for a long time)
Crab 20
Wolfhound 1
Javelin 10F
Mongoose 66

And that's basically the list.  Any of the 20 tonners that is even passably efficient is wholly outclassed by better versions of themselves in later eras and the BV savings just don't cut it at sub-600 BV.

EDIT: There are definitely more than I've listed here but those are what come up off the top of my head.  Even if I go browsing through every introtech design I don't expect to get more than five or six others, though.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 20:22:21 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #18 on: 25 March 2024, 22:27:30 »
Petty Officer PW: "LAMFAN, That T-Bolt needs to BIGGER and THICCer than the other guy... Now, what is it with you?"

LAMFAN: "I Just want to pilot the greatest 'mech in the Navy, in the game, SIR!"

So far, the recommendations are all accurate... yeah. Now will they be competitive on a table top setting with all sorts of Dark Age and iLClan era stuff?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 25 March 2024, 23:24:40 »
Howdy Geg!  Setting up some teaching games it seems?

So for a 'new' player I like the base Hunchback.  It has ammo, it can slightly over heat, and its main gun can headshot.  Its not too fast, and doesnt teach bad habits about jumping (and missing).  It hits on all the core things to teach about, and its nice and deadly to boot with satisfying table moments like headshot potential and dramatic ammo explosions.

Other good teaching mechs that are good for the BV is the Yen Lo Wang from the essentials box (a slightly different hunchback, but with cool looking claws), the Rifleman 3c with dual AC10s is an exemplar fire support mech for cheap, the Vindicator from the beginner box with its selection of weapons covering most of the weapon rules, and you mentioned the awesome already.

3025 stuff gets really crazy with alt ammo, but Im assuming you dont want to introduce players to infernos and all the SRM straight killers like the Trebuchet S due to needing so many dice and overloading them with too much info.  So while some of those are the most BV efficient units, ill just put my SRM spam to rest as bad for new players.

I avoid the mostly energy zombies with jump jets (the awesome is in the AGOAC so it deserves the mention though) because they teach bad habits to new players IMHO.  They also have a hard time hitting if they jump, so I value landing hits and learning how to walk/run/turn/pay for terrain much higher.  Like, I dont think the wolverine M is at all a good mech for a new player in BV, I think the Wolverine 6R is a much better value buy for the BV if you want to give them a 5 jump jet unit from AGOAC.  Likewise, the PHX1D I would not give to a new player, though the no jump PHX 1K is fine.  The 6M and 1D are 'advanced' mechs, and not that cheap in BV.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2024, 23:27:37 by DevianID »

LAMFAN

• Corporal