Author Topic: Handling Neutral Systems in ISW  (Read 2306 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Handling Neutral Systems in ISW
« on: 24 June 2016, 04:29:54 »
OK for neutral systems I'm talking everything from 'independent' worlds Antallos/Port Krin and those of the Choas March to vest pocket empires like the Tortuga Dominions right up to the worlds of the former Terran Hegemony during the First Succession War, this last being of particular importance.

How do you gain control of these worlds? If you just show up can you claim them? Are there defending forces that you must defeat? And if, so how many? Is Pacification time still needed? And again, if so how much? And of particular note for people wanting to play games set in the First Succession War, how industrialized are they? (I'm guessing hyper, at minimum for TH worlds, but can't be sure)

Archangel

• Major
Re: Handling Neutral Systems in ISW
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2016, 20:32:54 »
The answer to all your questions is that it depends upon the world in question.  Some neutral worlds have defenders, others don't.  Some have a single government, others have multiple independent governments (pre-unification New St. Andrews and Franklin Fiefs) and still others have no official government (Port Krin/Antallos).  Some TH worlds likely found their rating reduced first during the coup as Amaris secured the world, then during the occupation (both the result of fighting and Amaris securing vital manufacturing facilities to Terra or to deny them to Kerensky) and finally in the fighting to liberate the TH.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2016, 11:34:46 »
I'd expect them to at least have a garrison.  And then find someone to opfor any combat decisions in game. 

Just be sure that you and your group decide on how to handle them in advance so that it is clear to all players.  Whatever system you come up with is probably going to be fine.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2016, 02:45:31 »
The any ISW basically requires a GM, so that's who would be running the OpFor. In fact my viewpoint is that of the GM, I asked previously about this sort of thing (actually on extra powers, even finding the 6 people needed to run the basic ISW in IO is unlikely) and the advice I received was to ignore them/remove them from the map, which REALLY doesn't work for a 1st Succession War game, what happened in canon is that they fought over the Hegemony, so simply removing those system can't work.

But yes, before play starts is a good idea, or if you need to change things let everyone know at the same time.

ScrapYardArmory

• Master Sergeant
    • ScrapYardArmory
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2016, 06:59:28 »
I've mentioned in previous posts that I think a great way to kick the tires on ISW is to try putting together a smaller regional conflict which would reduce the number of players required and the required work by the GM.

Something like the War of 3039, Ronin Wars, or Andurien Wars.

Ghost cub

• Private
  • Long time GM getting back into Battletech
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2016, 15:01:37 »
I agree a smaller ISW would be faster and would serve as a better lead in/introduction to ISW maybe we should create a Periphery scenario that would serve as a fun ISW game.