Author Topic: Identify this LAM Minature  (Read 3098 times)

Fullback

• Corporal
Identify this LAM Minature
« on: 19 April 2020, 16:46:26 »
Hello
I currently try to make a list of all my miniatures
and found this LAM, which i cannot identify, no stamp at the bottom.

Hope anybody can help me out.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Identify this LAM Minature
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2020, 16:53:28 »
It wasn't a Ral Partha mini.  No stamp implies a knock-off.  It would be closest to a Phoenix Hawk LAM.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2020, 17:01:31 »
Pretty sure it's a Dark Horse robotech mini from the late 80s or 90s.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2020, 17:12:04 »
Pretty sure it's a Dark Horse robotech mini from the late 80s or 90s.

No, it is not a Dark Horse. Here are some painted by Dave Fanjoy.

https://www.heavygauss.com/Museummain.html
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2020, 17:54:00 »
You're quite correct. Wow, that's a funky little mini! It has all the hallmarks of late 80s castings, but that funky raygun makes it unique.

Got to assume you've got a real rarity there - may not be worth thousands, but some mob with less respect for formal copyrights probably made it.

Under the circumstances, though, I'd waive the rules - it's not like you're promoting it.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2020, 19:48:19 »
No idea what it is. The single engine exhaust nozzle, overly swept-back wings, and the pistol set it apart from anything I've seen before. It's gotta be a knock-off for a different line.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2020, 16:40:42 »
Can you get a couple more photo's I over the years have managed to lay my hands on a # of LAM
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2020, 13:56:11 »
Wow. And they were sure cribbing Robotech Valkyrie legs there too!

How neat!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2020, 16:20:17 »
 :o I like to know where this mini came from ? It looks like it came from the late 80s or early 90s. Nice find on the mini.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2020, 17:21:59 »
maybe its a Mekton miniature? they were making a lot of "loosely similar knockoff" designs for different anime franchises.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2020, 07:36:05 »
Mekton minis had a much higher level of detail than that, and their bases were rectangular with the "ground" being textured.

I completely agree with some being loosely similar knockoffs . One's an almost dead ringer for the Unseen Griffin IIC.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2020, 08:30:10 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

calendraug

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2020, 09:39:57 »
Is it a Munin LAM that was in a battletechnology issue just before the clans?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2020, 17:40:22 »
Probably not - the BattleTechnology art is basically a Phoenix Hawk LAM with some wrist guns added to the left forearm. Not that funky raygun & single back pack.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2020, 18:41:23 »
Okay I have gone and looked at all my LAM and I have nothing like that one in my collection based on the picture.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2020, 07:17:06 »
Could be a homebrew/self-cast mini.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2020, 10:02:35 »
If I had to bet, I'd go all in on "bootleg".
I have spoken.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2020, 10:17:26 »
I want to agree w/ this being a boot leg model.

But at the same time, the folded in wingtips & missile rack? on the far shoulder make me think its very different from anything we have to be a bad copy of an existing design.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2020, 18:26:59 »
Not all of the gerwalk mode mecha had engine pods on the back.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2020, 19:35:06 »
Among BT minis only the P-Hawk did.   (Except for my own personal P-Hawks where they were missing from the package)  :'(

But I'm more looking at how the wings are folded partially in at a mid-wing joint & the missile rack itself is just odd.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2020, 17:39:14 »
a 6mm gaming facebook group i cross posted this image to hoping maybe they'd recognize it has asked for additional pictures. basically they want to see additional angles so they can figure out the details of the mini.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2020, 16:16:57 »
and the FB group has been largely useless so far. just some people as stumped as we are, and a lot of people who are like "oh i know what it is. battletech. they had these things called LAM's, it must be a miniature for that game!"
*facepalm*

ugh.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2020, 16:35:06 »
Wow. Just...wow.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2020, 19:17:43 »
and the FB group has been largely useless so far. just some people as stumped as we are, and a lot of people who are like "oh i know what it is. battletech. they had these things called LAM's, it must be a miniature for that game!"
*facepalm*

ugh.

ok, it's been a day or two since I looked at your FB post, but did you not already point that out in your post? (not a BT unit, already checked in a BT forum?)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2020, 04:11:48 »
ok, it's been a day or two since I looked at your FB post, but did you not already point that out in your post? (not a BT unit, already checked in a BT forum?)

multiple times. original post and then every time it came up. general trend is people suggesting it is battletech, robotech, or various macross related properties. all things i pointed out we'd already determined it was not.

unfortunately people on FB often skim the text rapidly to get to the picture, then go and post without bothering to actually read any of the responses.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2020, 05:25:20 »

I am thinking that this LAM is a custom, it seems to have markings on it from from sawing and filing, it is especially obvious on the gun.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2020, 05:38:51 »
I have a friend with a 20 year old spin casting setup. This looks like the kind of quality he used to make (not saying its specifically his! Just it has the look of a home cast piece.)
The difference in detail between the limbs and jet body, the incongruity of the Flash Gordon zap gun, the almost-but-not-quite Macross lines...
My vote is "Garry Grognard" made it in his basement like a money counterfeiter when his beloved Unseen became...well...unseen...
It is as they say in the art biz; a 100% genuine, totally unique....copy...  :thumbsup:

Fullback

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2020, 15:11:24 »
Hi there,

Sorry, that i didn't respond.
After the first clueless responses, I just thought that this will stay a unsolved mystery.

Maybe i have given to less input.
I am in miniature casting myself and as far as i can tell this looks quite professional and not like some cheap knockoff.
I have 2 of those miniatures and as they are identical, and quite good quality, i thought they are part of a bigger miniature line/run.
This are onepiece miniatures with a lot of details, ( sorry my cam does not show them properly) and many undercuts.

Fullback

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2020, 15:12:45 »
Marauder for scale

Fullback

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2020, 15:15:03 »
Btw, i have all darkhorse robotech miniatures and the tend to be bigger than Battletech.
This ones are much smaler than Darkhorse.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2020, 17:29:49 »
I agree with you re casting quality - that's some serious work. Does not appear to be a cheap homecast.

It does give me that 80s vibe; I suspect someone working for a professional caster did some "on spec", and the company let him make some until they got talked to. That hole under the base is ringing a bell for some reason not yet to come to the surface of my mind.

Register