Author Topic: Looking for ideas for a new Campaign?  (Read 738 times)

bugman

• Master Sergeant
Looking for ideas for a new Campaign?
« on: 18 April 2024, 09:33:29 »
Background I rebooted my old Campaign successfully about 3 years ago. That campaign goes back to about 1986 to 1993. Currently I have about 12 players from the old days and 6 players that are new that help me run the Opforce. I intend to continue the old campaign but would like to add something new.

The format I am thinking of using is mixing the players up for each game randomly between the two sides. With with each player having two MW's on each side. The campaign would consist of several engagements between the two sides. Likely period of time for the setting would be 3000 to 3030. So I am looking for suggestions for the area of operations and the parent force for each side. Starting experience is likely 4/5 pilots. With the possibility of advancing the pilots over time.  Game days likely to draw 6 to 10 players. Except for the big Fall weekend when I get most of the group to show up for 3 days of BT. Some of the guys come from other states, since they have moved away long ago.

Looking for a setting where a couple of units are involved in a long running battle. Like maybe a plantary siege that was a savage fight between two capable foes. Even in a elite/veteran Regiment there is likely to be a regular company. So experience of the parent units could be anything from Green to Elite. The main thing is that the parent units need to be relatively competitive with each other. Any faction is ok. Would like a actual Canon confrontation.

Any ideas????

Ps. I am thinking I might go with 3/4 pilots as the base. If you loose a MW. They are replaced with a 4/5.

Also the scenarios will be BV balanced as closely as possible.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2024, 09:35:48 by bugman »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Looking for ideas for a new Campaign?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2024, 10:19:39 »
FedCom Civil War immediately jumps out.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2024, 10:38:53 »
FedCom Civil War immediately jumps out.
That could possibly work if I was to jump to that time frame. Was looking late SW3 to SW4. 3000 TO 3030...

Is there a particular battle from the FedCom CW that would be interesting?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2024, 10:43:18 »
Why not Clan? Marshal in the Clan home worlds would be a great setting. You could even just play Fire Mandrill Kindraa

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2024, 11:10:54 »
Why not Clan? Marshal in the Clan home worlds would be a great setting. You could even just play Fire Mandrill Kindraa
This could work. I was not really think Clan. This would fit in with Gencon event series I started last year of Clan vs Clan. I have run two games like this for my players in the last year. So this could work. Marshall looks like a great situation for a continuing struggle.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2024, 11:20:36 »
Misery campaign from the 4th War.  Dragoons versus Combine.  It lasted a long time.  Both sides had capable units where you could also see 3/4s or 4/5s.

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2024, 11:40:42 »
Misery campaign from the 4th War.  Dragoons versus Combine.  It lasted a long time.  Both sides had capable units where you could also see 3/4s or 4/5s.
That is a good one also.

Gorgon

• Lieutenant
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2024, 12:56:21 »
Or go for the Marik Civil War, you know, Anton's thingy. It was a bit one-sided, but you got the Dragoons in there, the struggle of brother against brother...
Jude Melancon lives!

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2024, 13:29:18 »
3025 Battle of Galtor III. One of the largest engagements of the Third Succession War.

There are several currently available books for it in the Catalyst store.
Historical Turning Points: Galtor as well as a Battleforce Campaign book.

I have the original somewhere.
This will grasp both the nostalgia of the older players as well as draw in the new players
to a historically significant battle.

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2024, 13:47:44 »
Or go for the Marik Civil War, you know, Anton's thingy. It was a bit one-sided, but you got the Dragoons in there, the struggle of brother against brother...
This could be interesting a little off the beaten path. Interesting though.

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2024, 13:55:01 »
3025 Battle of Galtor III. One of the largest engagements of the Third Succession War.

There are several currently available books for it in the Catalyst store.
Historical Turning Points: Galtor as well as a Battleforce Campaign book.

I have the original somewhere.
This will grasp both the nostalgia of the older players as well as draw in the new players
to a historically significant battle.
I have the original also. I will have to take a look at it. I never really used back when I bought it.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2024, 14:09:57 »

Marik Civil War / Aton's Revolt has become one of my favorites. Allot of the details are just fluff in other books but that gives you allot of freedom to play it as you like.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 18 April 2024, 14:28:04 »
Do you have the Succession-Wars game box-set?  Why not play a game and create your own version of the 4th Succession-War?

Or you could go through the fanfic section here, and fish for ideas.  For some reason, I always liked Galtor III campaign; maybe because I like Davion v. Kurita battles and those are my favorite House-Books.   

The majority of my Battltech-XP is from playing Mechwarrior RPGs.  I did run a successful Kurita campaign in 3025 (the players were incharge of an penal-Unproductive unit) and again, an early Clan-game in the early 2800's (think, savage, post-apocalyptic colony-game).

Think, WWJKD?  "What Would Jinjiro Kurita Do?
« Last Edit: 18 April 2024, 14:30:11 by Prospernia »

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2024, 14:58:51 »
Do you have the Succession-Wars game box-set?  Why not play a game and create your own version of the 4th Succession-War?

Or you could go through the fanfic section here, and fish for ideas.  For some reason, I always liked Galtor III campaign; maybe because I like Davion v. Kurita battles and those are my favorite House-Books.   

The majority of my Battltech-XP is from playing Mechwarrior RPGs.  I did run a successful Kurita campaign in 3025 (the players were incharge of an penal-Unproductive unit) and again, an early Clan-game in the early 2800's (think, savage, post-apocalyptic colony-game).

Think, WWJKD?  "What Would Jinjiro Kurita Do?
I have that game. Box is in rough shape as I recall. I remember opening it up years ago. But never played it. Lol.....
With some motivated faction leaders it would be interesting to use the game for strategic moves then actually fight a proxy battle to decide the out come for certain fights.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2024, 21:25:52 »
Chaos March

You had a LOT of long running fights b/c none of the factions involved in each of the planetary battles could summon overwhelming force.  You also had a skew of equipment, you could find units using left over 3025 designs scraping together cash to buy upgrades (or maybe with a few bolted on) but also have some well equipped but no faction could afford gobs of that level of quantity.  You would also not find Clan tech being brought in to fight on those worlds.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2024, 06:20:32 »
Chaos March

You had a LOT of long running fights b/c none of the factions involved in each of the planetary battles could summon overwhelming force.  You also had a skew of equipment, you could find units using left over 3025 designs scraping together cash to buy upgrades (or maybe with a few bolted on) but also have some well equipped but no faction could afford gobs of that level of quantity.  You would also not find Clan tech being brought in to fight on those worlds.
This looks interesting. Looks like there are rules for linked battles in a mini campaign form.
What is the best product for these rules?(most complete)????
I think I could use those rules as a framework no matter what setting I would use.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2024, 07:39:50 »
I think Chaos Campaign rules (The Warchest system IIRC) would probably be best. If you want setting stuff there is a Hotspots:Chaos March book as well or you can just make it up.

Carver V/Liberty was a longstanding battle between different factions if you are looking for planetary venues with a particularly interesting period during the 3010s when the Dragoons were there and Candace Liao tried to 'get closer' with Jaime Wolf.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2024, 09:52:44 »
Look into Astrokaszy for a potential planetary battleground; it's wracked by warring factions on the world with only a few 'Mechs on either side.  It's also a place where both the Suns and Combine tested advanced technologies, even if it's a long bloody way away, so you can take on interesting surprises like prototype DHS on 'Mechs.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 19 April 2024, 12:52:58 »
I did a campaign with a Corporate unit called The Baker Street Irregulars . They Worked for Luthen metal works . It was 3030 they took the place of a house unit one company at a time as those units were rotated back to the factory to get CASE  installed.  This applied to second and
 third line units as first line units get new mech with it installed while in the field . This can make an interesting and varied  campaign for 6 or so game years .

Another idieas I had was called the Marion Scorpion's retro , advanced and Experimental
 tech  ,  3025 unit .  The object of the unit was to proved the  Hegemony with Inner Sphere   currency  . A  Senator was the Face man and if need be fall guy .   

Had a couple of innovated ideas recon cameras on all combat vehicles all vehicles fusion or special ordered fuel cell engines so hydrogen was the only fuel used.  Had standard  Trebuchet 5Ns but customized Centurion and Quickdraw mechs with a 5/8 move profile . Motorized AC/2 field guns 30 man platoon with 5 guns . Retro tech primitive large Chemical laser Condor Tank and had a fireworks company make rocket launcher 10s  which is pre 2800 tech to develop tactical doctrines for when the Hegemony develops the better ones without the -1 cluster problems of thes old ones. Made a Blazer cannon varient of the Centurion and put a Trebuchet engine in it . Had GM make the fuel cell engines as well as custom fully amphibious  100 ton mech recovery vehicle with 2 lift hoists . So it cam pick up a downed Atlas and drive away with it . Had fluff text that the  expensive unit never caught on with house or mercenary units but repo units from financial institutions loved them . Custom fuel cell engineering unit as well . Also never caught on because of expense.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2024, 11:43:35 by Col Toda »

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 19 April 2024, 13:18:44 »
I've been having fun with a War of 3039 campaign with the players taking the role of mercs in FWL employ.  I did pull some of the tech progression up a few years (field testing 3040s upgrades) and rearranged a few of the forces in some of the battles but more or less have kept the broad strokes.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #20 on: 19 April 2024, 19:47:46 »
This looks interesting. Looks like there are rules for linked battles in a mini campaign form.
What is the best product for these rules?(most complete)????
I think I could use those rules as a framework no matter what setting I would use.

The old Chaos March SB has a snapshot of what is occurring but suffice it to say there is plenty of action.

During 3058-3067 you have . .
Sun-Tzu is trying to exert influence through his guerillas.
Blakists are trying to influence worlds to join them to form the Protectorate.
Independence movements on most worlds- Carver V succeeds at it throwing off Cappie symps & Lyran hardliners with merc help
Epsilon Eridani trying to remain independent while having covert Blakists undermine the Gov, in fact one of the Blakists is also working for the Cappies
Duke Small of Small World trying to go from his world, annexed Ingersoll (?) and to add a 3rd which Ep Eridani is trying to counter
Marik interests trying some diplomatic re-approachment
FedSuns trying to counter Sun-Tzu without re-igniting war with the Cappies or League
The AMC investigating Blakist movements and combating them in some places
ComStar moving in divisions to counter Blakists & be peacekeepers

Some of what happens there is covered in the novels- Initiation to War is about Epsilon Eridani, opening bit of Double Blind is a independent noble hiring mercs to kick Cappie backed guerillas to the curb, and then some of the Battle Corps stories cover it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 19 April 2024, 19:57:25 »
I have that game. Box is in rough shape as I recall. I remember opening it up years ago. But never played it. Lol.....
With some motivated faction leaders it would be interesting to use the game for strategic moves then actually fight a proxy battle to decide the out come for certain fights.

I'd use that just to get an idea of what's happened as I'm used to GMing Mechwarrior.  I thought about getting Battleforce and refining the action, so I know the overall battle.

My Succession-Wars is all over the place.  I have my counters in a box at my parent's house in their storage-shed. (along with a lot of other counters, for all FASA-games like Centurion).

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 20 April 2024, 07:35:56 »
Lots of great ideas so far. Many of which I had not considered or even knew about. I downloaded the Chaos Campaign rules. Plan to look them over this weekend.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #23 on: 20 April 2024, 16:21:52 »

I second the Chaos March.  I’ve run campaigns there alternating each week between two PC merc units.  So Week #1, Savage’s Savages execute their first contract while the players from Berger’s Berserkers run the NPC opfor (militia, other mercs, FedCom, Blakists, Goons, etc.).  Then Week #2, Berger’s Berserkers execute their first contract while the players from Savage’s Savages run the NPC opfor (militia, other mercs, FedCom, Blakists, Goons, etc.).  Rinse and repeat until you’re ready to end the campaign.  Then for their final contracts, the PC merc units face each other, augmented as necessary by allied forces to even the odds, in a knock-down drag-out fight.  In this finale battle, I usually run a surprise Manei Dominion force that shows up after everyone is seriously damaged, forcing the PC units to join together if they want to survive, escape, and enter the next era.

The rough equivalent of the Chaos March in the ilClan Era is the Hinterlands, especially the Altima Mercantile League, which relies on mercs for its military (and produces all the new Falcon omnis).  But unlike the Chaos March, the formation of the Hinterlands and AML has been comparatively bloodless and there’s not a lot of ongoing planetary conflict yet.  You’d have to make some assumptions about conflict between the AML and the Horses, Jiyi’s Falcons, and others that may not follow the storyline going forward.

Three other good candidates in the Dark Age and ilClan Eras are the Wolf Empire, the FedSuns/Combine border, and the Arc-Royal/Falcon border.  A grinding FWL campaign to retake the Wolf Empire seems to be in the offing.  The Falcons and Kell Hounds/Wolves-in-Exile/Goons ground each other to dust in the Arc-Royal Defense Cordon for years until Arc-Royal finally fell and the Falcons moved on to Terra.  And the Suns/Combine border has seen the Ryuken and Goons spend 3138 to 3146 taking over the Draconis Reach, launching deep raids to places like Glendora, and then rolling back the FedSuns military all the way to New Avalon.

Some other candidates from the earlier Succession Wars:

— Towne (1st Succession War) — The FedSuns take over Towne in 2783 with little opposition from the Terran Hegemony.  But both the Combine and Confederation begin raiding Towne in 2785, and divisions between the FedSuns defenders split and hamper their defenses.  Eventually the 5th Dieron Regulars invade in earnest, destroying the 56th Avalon Hussars and taking the planet.

— Hesperus II (2nd Succession War) — The 6th, 7th, and 8th Battles of Hesperus took place over five months in 2853 as Combine forces repeatedly assaulted the key military production planet.  The factories escaped largely undamaged, but the Lyrans and Combine lost their last warships in this engagement.

— Caledonia (2nd Succession War) — Poor Lyran leadership led to slow bleeding of the elite 4th Royal Guards over a seven-year defense of Caledonia against Combine forces, ending in their final defeat in 2849.  The Lyran agent known as Snow Fire assassinated the Coordinator in retaliation, leaving behind the 4th’s symbol before taking her own life.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 20 April 2024, 20:09:12 »
 Campaigns around the Illyrian Palatinate or the Lothian League can get wild, and you can end up in seemingly bizarre places. There are two pirate kingdoms around you (One a major periphery power), and there is a lot of periphery-oriented intrigue occurring, including on the behest of states like the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine. Because units can have literally any background imaginable, these are highly versatile and interesting items to set up. There are also bandit kingdoms, some of which are uncharted. I dare call it one of the most interesting regions for roleplay.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2024, 01:02:24 »
The three Starterbooks look like they exactly match what you’re asking for.

If you can read German, I would also recommend checking the Bruderkampf mini-campaign (6 scenarios). It was specifically designed by Ulisses to teach new players, using (only) the contents of the Anniversary/Introduction boxed sets. Though you may have too many players for that.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2024, 01:05:00 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Colonial13

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2024, 14:27:44 »
War of 3039?  One side is the DCMS the other is the AFFS.  Plenty of flexibility for mission types and for both sides to play as attackers and defenders.  Plus you get a few new toys to play around with from the Helm Memory Core and Operation ROSEBUD.
St Ives past, present, and forever

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2024, 19:40:52 »

Likely period of time for the setting would be 3000 to 3030.
So I am looking for suggestions for the area of operations and the parent force for each side.

Would like a actual Canon confrontation.

Ps. I am thinking I might go with 3/4 pilots as the base. If you loose a MW. They are replaced with a 4/5.

Also the scenarios will be BV balanced as closely as possible.

Given the era its hard not to say 4th SW, you have LOTS of options to choose from there for large battles that aren't just 3015 raids.

All it really comes down to is picking the 2 factions.
You can have Lyrans, Suns, &/or Mercs on nearly every front.
You can do battle against the Cappies or Dracs easily w/ a few options for the FWL as well.  Mercs aren't quite as common for the Dracs/FWL from what I recall.
I'd ask your players what border/factions they would prefer & then find a nice long battle world.
You could even possibly have a couple worlds by following your ally unit through multiple waves.

As for skills,  since your giving them each 2 mechs & balancing it by BV, I'd give them a set of Vet & Reg skills,  so a 3, a pair of 4's, & a 5.
And then they can tailor the skills to match the BV limit as well as the specifics of the unit.
Good Gunner for the Archer?   Better Pilot for the Hatchetman?   Green gunner in the Ostscout since his job is recon & he has 1 gun?   Etc etc.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2024, 07:09:24 »

Given the era its hard not to say 4th SW, you have LOTS of options to choose from there for large battles that aren't just 3015 raids.

All it really comes down to is picking the 2 factions.
You can have Lyrans, Suns, &/or Mercs on nearly every front.
You can do battle against the Cappies or Dracs easily w/ a few options for the FWL as well.  Mercs aren't quite as common for the Dracs/FWL from what I recall.
I'd ask your players what border/factions they would prefer & then find a nice long battle world.
You could even possibly have a couple worlds by following your ally unit through multiple waves.

As for skills,  since your giving them each 2 mechs & balancing it by BV, I'd give them a set of Vet & Reg skills,  so a 3, a pair of 4's, & a 5.
And then they can tailor the skills to match the BV limit as well as the specifics of the unit.
Good Gunner for the Archer?   Better Pilot for the Hatchetman?   Green gunner in the Ostscout since his job is recon & he has 1 gun?   Etc etc.
I like that idea of giving them some flexibility on the pilots. Paired with the BV balancing that would allow for some player buy in. With the combination of mech and pilot and a pair of units. Could get some interesting combinations from the players for their starting units.

bugman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2024, 07:22:24 »
Really appreciate all the suggestions concerning the different settings from everyone. Many of which I did not know of or had forgotten about. Hopefully others looking for a campaign setting will consider some of these suggestions. I want to play more than one. Lots of really good suggestions.

I have a current Campaign game coming up in May with about half of our group. I think I will present the setting options to the group then.

I am kind of partial to the Misery SW3, Misery SW4, or the Clans Marshal home world. But I will be reviewing all the suggestions again and probably present about 4 to 6 options to the group at our May game.