Author Topic: 2011-01-25 Interview: Doug Chaffee [BattleCorps Exclusive]  (Read 14916 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Read answers from artist Doug Chaffee

Longtime BattleTech illustrator Doug Chaffee answers a few questions for BattleCorps.com.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
Re: 2011-01-25 Interview: Doug Chaffee [BattleCorps Exclusive]
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 07:28:53 »
very disappointing in how brief it was.

would like to have seen questions / answers re;

early influences and art direction.  if/how they might have changed to current and with different Art Directors over the years.

Style and composition evolving over several TROs / Source books.

do artists ever get involved in the design / fluff process or do they just get the final stats and have to work in with those.

Are designs purely the artist's own creation or do some designers already have their own vision of the mech / vehicle / asf  that they try to work with the artist to get it into print.
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 13:50:27 »
i'm really not into these interviews, they lack any interesting info, and i fell like you could have interviewed any btech fan and stuch chaffee's or any other person's name on and it wouldn't change. if these are going to be done it seems like they should start to be done right, and get some more unknown info out of the people developing btech products, instead of the usual Q: what is it about btech you like so much A:big stompy robots!
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 13:54:38 »
There is only so much you can ask without risking an NDA breach.

Don't see these interviews as a way to get information about BT itself, but rather as a way to get to know the people working on it.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 14:04:47 »
that's exactly what i'm suggesting, i don't want btech secrets and i never said i did, so i'm not sure where you got that idea from, but i do want to know who the people are that are making the products. take your interview for example, i don't know you any better than i did before, since i already knew your position, and that you're a btech fan, and i can infer you like BA cause of your avatars. so i literally learned nothing at all, that's all i'm saying 
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 14:11:02 »
Yeah, you are right about that. If you are active in the forums, you should know us well enough. So the interviews really aren't that useful for you. But people not very active here don't know much and that way they get the change to find out a few things.
Not very much, there is only so much stuff you can put in there, but at least a bit :)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Tizona

• Sergeant
  • Caput Castellae
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 04:21:02 »
I also find the interviews somehow lacking. Specifically, Chaffee's looks like a constatation of why he's a graphical artist and not a writer :P

I'd like to read more about the kind of things already mentioned. Not about current or future products, but how is like the work they usually do, or why some past product X was so gratifying to work in, or the opposite.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 10:19:42 »
That's actually a good idea. Had I thought of it, I would have just put answers to them in my interview, even with them not being asked. :)