Author Topic: I'd rather be lucky AND good.  (Read 1473 times)

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
I'd rather be lucky AND good.
« on: 05 May 2013, 23:03:37 »
Just finished a quick pickup game with a friend: 2 mechs to a side, intro tech, 120 tons each. His team (base model Marauder and Blackjack) are defending a town from my team (base model Warhammer and Enforcer).  About 5 turns into it I've drawn the MAD out to the edge of town and begun to pick it apart using buildings as cover, and my Enforcer has moved to the center of town to bust up an objective building. My friend decides to DFA the Enforcer using his Blackjack right about then as our heavies trade fire.

I light off everything at the incoming Blackjack, small laser whiffs, but the AC 10 and the large laser connect. Location roll for the AC comes up 12 and he groans as he marks off the armor and misses the KO check. I start grinning already because there goes his DFA, and then I roll the location for that large laser. The dice come up another 12. Oh yeah, scratch one Blackjack who thinks he knows kung fu.

A turn or 2 later the Warhammer gets in on the fun, and I put a small laser (of DOOM!) into the MAD's center torso with snake eyes. "OK, roll the crit chance" he says. 12. Yup. 2 engine hits and 1 gyro. By the end of the turn  MAD has also fallen (rolled a 2 for damage location on the right side, followed by another 12 for the crit chance) and he's crippled and overheating with a bum leg kicked nearly off. He called it then but the only place the MAD took internal damage (aside from components caught by lucky crits) was the leg that got kicked.

The dice were hotter tonight than I can remember in a long time.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
Re: I'd rather be lucky AND good.
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2013, 00:50:04 »
 O0

Dakkagor

• Sergeant
  • Taping down the fire button.
    • Gordian Knot Games
Re: I'd rather be lucky AND good.
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2013, 09:31:45 »
I think the proper term is 'I'd rather be lucky and alive than competent and dead'.

Still, nicely done.  8)
'Go Heavy, Go Loud, and Go Home Happy.'

Motto of the Steel Talons Mercenary Battalion, Assault Mech Company.

Register