Author Topic: What was the craziest thing you did in a tournament?  (Read 12965 times)

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
What was the craziest thing you did in a tournament?
« on: 02 February 2011, 18:55:50 »
Like the title says.

What did YOU do in a tournament, something so crazy, such a bad idea, what goes against all fiber of being a tabletop commander?

Please to tell of your tales of glory on the tournament scene of long ago.  Relive and tell so that in home games others may think to your deads and give them hope for thier own half thought of ideas.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
Re: What was the craziest thing you did in a tournament?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2011, 19:16:08 »
I showed up and thought I had a chance.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2011, 19:52:31 »
At Nationals '03, I mistakenly assumed the DF Schmitt had a 3" minimum (not the 2" minimum it actually has) so I based it with my 'Mech (these were the 300 point days, so it was the core of my force) in its rear arc instead of on its side.

It was a little depressing watching it open fire on me the following turn.

DieRache

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2011, 19:55:01 »
Well the strangest thing I did was during one of the Nats qualifying games. I rolled in the first 2 rounds 21 crit misses. No one could believe it so in the 3rd round when I rolled another i calmly walked  to the back door of the store and threw my dice as hard as I could into the field. Then calmly walked up to the counter to buy 3 new dice. And returned to the game.

woodearth

• Private
  • El Mago
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2011, 20:43:01 »
Memory a little fuzzy now but it was one of my first few newbie games.

Towards the end of the round and feeling desperate, I march my infantry up to my opponent's 'Mech. My remaining Mech was then subsequently either destroyed or salvaged. Being deficit in points, I decided to go for a capture attempt. And rolled a critical hit! And that was my first MWDA victory. After that I learn to make better armies and have access to better units so I do not have to be so desperate anymore.  ;D
Angeles Arcanos

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2011, 21:22:18 »
Had a mobile DF army.  The DF HQ flanked by AA Partisans.  M1 and a smaller Mech (Dani or the WD Cougar).  Had to move the formation to give a huge arc to cover the VTOLs.  Next turn artillery was placed on them. They all move the same so forward they went.  A few turns later I had one order left and the HQ was just far enough to reach Vee on the other side.  Partisans were beat up so they were almost useless.  So I Special order rammed.  Hit.  He broke the vee on the next turn.  I pushed to Ram again.  Wow.  Who would ever guess that a DF HQ wouold survive the game, but do 4 clicks of damge and destroying a unit?

Some of those tournaments had some crazy things going on.
Many stories to go over.
More please.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2011, 21:24:01 by LordNth »

EdgeCrusher

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2011, 21:25:09 »
Well the strangest thing I did was during one of the Nats qualifying games. I rolled in the first 2 rounds 21 crit misses. No one could believe it so in the 3rd round when I rolled another i calmly walked  to the back door of the store and threw my dice as hard as I could into the field. Then calmly walked up to the counter to buy 3 new dice. And returned to the game.

I did the opposite of that one game. rolled almost all crits. my opponent was *extremely upset*. the guy was always a jerk so i couldn't help but grin.

Around the time MW:DA came out i was losing a lot because of horrible dice rolls.
i quit dice games for a long long time because of it. hero clix, d&d, MW, all of it.
that one game was especially awesome.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2011, 22:23:44 by EdgeCrusher »

Fat Ninja

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2011, 00:31:05 »
During the one and only Fellowship Championship at Origins, I had started incredibly strong (especially for me).  About midway through, I was at 4th place, I think.  Maybe third.  Since I was a level five envoy at the time, I figured I'd play, go have fun, and congratulate the folks that won.  I had already asked Pawbutt to take me out of Fellowship since, come on... I got enough swag.

Seeing myself as one of those potential winners frankly freaked me the heck out. 

Southpaw called lunch, and a few of us went across the street for sushi.  I was lamenting my successes, and decided to have a drink.  What the heck, right?  I'm an adult, not working, and on a vacation.

Two bottles of sake later, we head back to the tournament hall and I get stomped.  I had a great time drunkenly playing my post-lunch opponents and watched my rankings tank by leaps and bounds. 

I won't say that I wouldn't have had my butt handed to me anyways, as I was suddenly playing way out of my league, but certainly the sake didn't help.

Actually no.  The sake helped me go from an uncomfortable position to set me back on track for my mission.  GO BOOZE!
Still that same Fat Ninja from Wizkids, Realms, and every other flippin' place online.

talonspiritcat

• Corporal
    • My novels
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2011, 09:17:30 »
First game ever showed up and used a Spirit Cat BlackHawk to alpha strike a Peasant Company.  And then had the "energy weapons only do 1 point of damage to infantry" rule explained.

My fave event?
Taking on a Jade Falcon force with 5 Spirit Cat MinerMods and some infantry.  My foe just laughed when he saw my force.
3 turns into the game, SpiritCat MinerMod walks up to the BlackRose and crit hits a chainsaw attack for 7 points.
Next turn, BlackRose crit misses a DFA and that Miner does another 6 points of damage.
With existing damage, BlackRose toppled over in scrap.

MinerMod pilot got nominated for a bloodname.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Free lance

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2011, 10:15:27 »
I also have fallen victim to a bad streak of snake eyes.

My first tourney we played without factions cause no one had enough stuff yet. My best Mech was Caden Senn. Thinking how cool i was to have one of the only limited edition mechs avalible and how much better they must be, I charged! not sure i even did a point of damage.

the funniest thing i have seen is a guy hold his own with a flavio out numbered 3 to 1. he fell in the end but did some serious damage.
Dirty work is the best kind!
Sure I'll take your side, for the right price.

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2011, 11:49:39 »
During pre-AOD Nats Qualifier using sealed boosters - 300 pt build.  The Battlemaster had been unable to acquire enough Counter Assault boosters and thus everyone had to pull from Liao Incursion instead.  Traditionally I pulled crud from LI and that day I upheld tradition; I pulled three yellow dump trucks and assorted laser battery infantry, one Free Legion company, one Fa Shih and some junk vehicles.  I think every other of the dozen or so players pulled at least one LE unit.  I ended up playing all three dumpers, the Fa Shih and the FLC. 

I was amazed as I managed to make it to the final.  My opponent was a good player who had an army built around Arnis Drummand and the Merc Forestry Mech B.  Having no ranged weapons on my mechs and Arnis with Agility and evade, I had no choice but to keep attempting to pound Arnis and the Merc with cc or special attacks for one point at a time while he tore holes in my mechs with his.  After he had salvaged two of my dump truck, I had a big break when I was able to capture his mining mech on a luck roll and then bypass it with the FLC on a subsequent turn.  My real break was that he got over confident and kept Arnis in base with my dump trucks.  He realized too late that I had whittled Arnis down past his agility and evade.  It suddenly got much more difficult to break away and run when I got the Fa Shih in base contact with Arnis.  I ended up salvaging Arnis and won my seat at Nationals.  Several of my fellow players and I still talk about that crap pull and how the tournament turned out.

Free lance

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2011, 12:46:47 »
Traditionally I pulled crud from LI and that day I upheld tradition; I pulled three yellow dump trucks

Did the same with Falcons. Not the dump trucks but I couldnt pull a quality mech to save my life.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2011, 15:35:52 »
I ended up salvaging Arnis and won my seat at Nationals.  Several of my fellow players and I still talk about that crap pull and how the tournament turned out.

Nice. It's funny how that stuff works out. I went through the grinder at Nats '03 to earn my place, and I too had a pretty shoddy pull. DFA boosters... couple of Ullers, a ConstructionMech Mk II MOD, two Padillas (my saving grace), a Mobile HQ, some forgettable infantry. My best friend, sitting right next to me, pulled Eriabee Childs (an Atlas) and the unique Mongoose II.

First opponent I drew had a Swordsworn Balac. If I didn't have those Padillas, I would've been easy pickings. But three wins later, I managed to qualify. O0

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2011, 13:38:04 »
the Monkey in the middle scenario, a guy who thought he was being clever played all VTOLs with the Twins.  I foundout about halfway through that capturing anything with the VTOL speed mode results in its destruction, not its capture.  he lost 300 points right there, in addition to the twin I had already captured as well.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 07 February 2011, 18:34:57 »
Was he flying them at NOE? Because if they're at cruising, they can't be based, and if they can't be based, they can't be captured.

Free lance

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2011, 20:03:12 »
Was he flying them at NOE? Because if they're at cruising, they can't be based, and if they can't be based, they can't be captured.
I questioned that to. Though they might have been playing by there own set of rules which for me is very common. either way a fair question.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2011, 22:16:22 »
May have been at NOE.  I've blocked most details about that Monkey In The Middle event  [tickedoff]  but if he was preventing infantry from getting that darn monkey then he'd have to be at NOE, right?

That was one players idea, just surround the monkey with infiltrating vees and block off the monkey.

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2011, 12:06:03 »
May have been at NOE.  I've blocked most details about that Monkey In The Middle event  [tickedoff]  but if he was preventing infantry from getting that darn monkey then he'd have to be at NOE, right?

That was one players idea, just surround the monkey with infiltrating vees and block off the monkey.

I vaguely recall that event.  Wasn't that the event where you had to base the monkey and try to get him back to your Deployment Zone?  In that case, a good strategy would be to surround it with elevated vtols.  Even though they are not at NOE, their bases would prevent basing the monkey. 

However, other methods could be used to force a VTOL to NOE - namely TSEMP and salvaging the VTOL at which point it can be captured to eliminate it.

Free lance

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2011, 12:37:51 »
In that case, a good strategy would be to surround it with elevated vtols.  Even though they are not at NOE, their bases would prevent basing the monkey. 

Maybe something in the rules stated that if you based the monkey you had to be a NOE. seems to make sence.

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2011, 22:07:58 »
Maybe something in the rules stated that if you based the monkey you had to be a NOE. seems to make sence.

You always have to be NOE to be considered basing something. You can prevent the monkey from being based by others if you "pseudo-base" it with VTOLs at cruising... the VTOLs aren't actually considered to be "basing" it, but their physical bases prevent anything else from doing so as well.

Men Shen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 22 February 2011, 18:14:16 »
The sealed for Liao incursion always sticks out for me. This Doctor from up near harrisburg had been coming to York and had stomped for a couple of games. He pulls the unique mongoose and one of the better DI towed arties. I pulled crap. I thought, Man my mechs going to get stomped by his artie all day. I had used a highlander cougar and i don't know hat else. The time to choose terrain came and I picked the too big pools of water, placed on to the left and one to the right. I would take my mech to one pool, he'd lay down his pogs and on the next turn I would beat feet to the other pool. after two rounds of this he pretty much stopped using the DI towed, he savaged my cougar but the the highlander cougar didn't go into salvage, some how I destroyed his "Goose" and some ifantry and walked away with the Le wolfhound and the Tactician award, and I beat the good doctor. All in All pretty memorable.

talonspiritcat

• Corporal
    • My novels
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2011, 19:16:09 »
First tournament (which was the first game I ever played against other people) saw me use a Banson Raider Mech to alpha strike a Highlander Peasant Company.  (Yeah, I know now that energy only ever does 1 damage to infantry.)

The Faction War was the first game I ever played in...with a borrowed Bannson army.  I forget what pieces I played but I ended up playing the resident BR player and he vaped me.  Mech in centre of my force, with flanking tanks and infantry.  In one turn, he scraped the Mech and crippled my tanks.
So I charged him with everything I had left and battered his main Mech into salvage.
Yeah  I lost...but he said that my charge took him off-guard.  He thought I had some tactical plan...I just had no idea what I was doing.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 04 March 2011, 00:24:01 »
I allowed my opponent to see what army I was bringing  !!!!!!
Normally, not to big of a problem.
However it was almost 20minutes before the start, and while i was talking with other players.
Since I wanted to do the "ALL Infantry Army"...   the Problem was noticed when my opponent had re- constructed his army (in that 20 minutes) to have "ALL" his pieces using Antipersonnel .   >:(

Next craziest thing to happen:  was me NOT beating the garbage out of a player  #P (thanks to Blood Cleaver for grabbing my arm and pulling me out side B4 the kid got laid out, &  thus keeping me out of jail).
During an 8 player grand melee (2000 points) the kid next to me at the table threw 5 critical Hits in 12 attack rolls (all 5 against ME)!  ---- each one of my Assault Mechs was CRACKED WIDE OPEN with 5 to 6 clicks to their dials before MY 3rd turn....
It wasn't until the 5th CRIT that the BM says "WAIT A SECOND, I THINK I NOTICED SOMETHING"
he then picked up the guy's Dice thew them and.......................... ???
CRIT !    that's right! the Dude brought LOADED DICE.   which he used only against me and used another set of dice against everyone else...... [tickedoff]

Unbelievable.....    instant BAN!!!!!
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

darkminstrel

• Sergeant
  • Head Executor at Shaitan's Fist, Local 38
« Reply #23 on: 04 March 2011, 14:37:18 »
that's right! the Dude brought LOADED DICE.   which he used only against me and used another set of dice against everyone else...... [tickedoff]

Ohhhh, I'd have met him out back by the dumpsters. I applaud you for not falling to your baser instincts!

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2011, 01:31:14 »
Ditto, I know that feeling. I did the same thing @ a weekly thursday event. I caught the kid pulling the "Loaded Dice" scenario and had to be restrained by the Other BM present @ the event from shoving the "Dice" in question down his throat and the punk was 6" inches taller than me.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

LordKnightFandragon

• Sergeant
  • Knights Republic, Forward for the Guard!!
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2011, 02:20:59 »
At Nationals '03, I mistakenly assumed the DF Schmitt had a 3" minimum (not the 2" minimum it actually has) so I based it with my 'Mech (these were the 300 point days, so it was the core of my force) in its rear arc instead of on its side.

It was a little depressing watching it open fire on me the following turn.

Wait what? Opened fire on you? YOu mean in the old days of MW you could actually shoot your own pieces? Or are you just kidding and im just plain missing it lol.......
Republic Lord Legionnaire Fandragon Crimsonspirit
Knights Republic of Lerlide
-Nothing will prevent us,  the Legionnaires of the Knights Republic from achieving the Ultimate Victory!

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 25 March 2011, 02:44:28 »
Wait what? Opened fire on you? YOu mean in the old days of MW you could actually shoot your own pieces? Or are you just kidding and im just plain missing it lol.......

The Schmitt was an enemy unit. The 'Mech was the core of my force.

LordKnightFandragon

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2011, 03:00:22 »
Oh, I see...lolz, yeah it does suck to forget a unit has certain abilites, it seems you forget things and they make your mistake abundantly clear the next shot.  Its lolz but it sucks
-Nothing will prevent us,  the Legionnaires of the Knights Republic from achieving the Ultimate Victory!

jc.knight

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 25 March 2011, 04:35:36 »
In one of the early scenarios (BR vs DF I think) 300 point build on turn 2 a wall of fire appeared in player 1's deployment zone, and every turn thereafter moved accross the board.  I can't remember whether it was preset movement or d6 related.  My opponents brought 2 mechs and a light tank.  I brought something that everyone thought was absolutley friggin nuts. 75 Banson Raiders Peasant Companies, for my full 300 popint build.   I dployed all of them infiltraded onto the board, and just started capturing opponent mechs.   As the wall of fire would get closer you could see the panic in the OP face as his mechs/tanks began burning with me chortling in glee not caring about losing 12-16 points worth of infantry at a time.   That was the first time I swept the board 4-0.  From that point on either Mason Dunne or Bart Bradshaw seemed to be in EVERY army I fought against.  And no one would give me Peasants anymore.

Toqtamish

• Private
« Reply #29 on: 27 March 2011, 14:35:22 »
In one of the scenarios during a tournament, can't remember which one. It was the one with the ice that your Mechs could fall thru I was playing my GF at the time and decided to attempt a Death From Above, failed my roll and my Mech fell thru the ice, Mech was the KoS Katsu Moriyama in his Crimson Hawk. Everybody was like, why did you do that ?!, I just wanted to see what would happen lol. Plus she kept whining that she wanted to win so I was like fine, here ya go.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #30 on: 30 April 2011, 14:28:09 »
I don't know about crazy, but it's the one I'll best remember. Still have the certificate for the fellowship of the event, but can't recall what, right off hand. I'll look and find out later.

Anyway. At the tourney, I took a full Merc force. I had some jump infantry with bypass, the merc Crimmy, and I think the Marksman piece, plus some extras. I faced down a Swordsworn force with another Crimson Hawk.

I lost my Crimmy early, but shortly afterward, captured the opponent's, bypassed it, and used it to win the game. Back in the day, the Merc builds were all about capture, with lots of flamers. It was fun.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

phoenixhawk

• Private
« Reply #31 on: 30 April 2011, 22:20:19 »
My CNC veteran Nova Cat stood toe-to-toe with an Ares mech in the Officer's Club game at Gencon the year the Ares came out. Took that sucker down! :) CNC 1, Ares 0

Chris

ChrisSymons1981

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 01 May 2011, 02:42:43 »
My CNC veteran Nova Cat stood toe-to-toe with an Ares mech in the Officer's Club game at Gencon the year the Ares came out. Took that sucker down! :) CNC 1, Ares 0

Chris

serious respect points there mate
You Say Fiery Crash? I Say Dynamic Entry.

LordKnightFandragon

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 01 May 2011, 04:25:26 »
Lol, how did your Nova Cat stand toe to toe and win? The Ares have terrible die rolls or what the Nova Cat not all you had?  I wont lie, the Ares were not even remotely as good as I figure they shoulda been but still.  Good work taking it out +D

lonewolfsyndrome

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 01 May 2011, 15:25:51 »
400pts worth of BR peasant's, One eyed Jack (Jupiter) 295pts, Dagger Di 141pts, Magpie Webster 24pts and the BR Faction pride 40pts.  [rockon]
« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 15:30:58 by lonewolfsyndrome »

Now recurting for the Crimson Cerberus (MWOnline), Currently allied with the Brown Coats. PM me for details.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 01 May 2011, 19:52:07 »
Lol, how did your Nova Cat stand toe to toe and win? The Ares have terrible die rolls or what the Nova Cat not all you had?  I wont lie, the Ares were not even remotely as good as I figure they shoulda been but still.  Good work taking it out +D

Give it hyper laser RISC gear and Improved targeting/Pilot, and you're set.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

phoenixhawk

• Private
« Reply #36 on: 01 May 2011, 21:49:51 »
No Hyper Laser. Only tried that one time and it failed me terribly so I never used it in a tournament that mattered. I do believe the only thing I used was the H IT and a +2 Attack, +1 Def pilot.

catman341

• Recruit
  • Insanity since 1985
« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2011, 00:49:57 »
Silliest thing i did that i can remember was roll 7 critical misses in a row in a 3000 point battle using highlander dice had the Sun Cobra in my army
sometime before that I had a largely Jade Falcon force and went in for no less then 4 dfa attempts against a Spirit Cat Sun Cobra all of the attempts failed
Was playing a capture a castle (home brewed) game third game I ever played still figuring out how to move my pieces around the battlefield saw that the castle was open in the next to last turn with no defenders and the only others people anywhere near enough to the castle wasn't near  an entrance and had to blow their way through the back wall (lack of jump jets) i managed to win my prize to take home Flavio
Cougar Battlemech-1,900,000 C-bills
6 er lasers 2 srm 2's engine upgrade and jumpjets  - 500,000 C-bills
Solaris Championship Entry fees- 400,000 C-bills
Being the only mech left out of two Dire Wolves due to not having to rely on Ammo- Priceless

Hey why is it getting hot and why am I in a handbasket

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2011, 00:49:48 »
i managed to win my prize to take home Flavio
love the story... the only problem is that after the battle you end up with  "FLAVIO"     [metalhealth]
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

katya_Kerensky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 26 September 2011, 02:13:53 »
In Oh. during the event for mason dune's little timberwolf knock off I just had to have I salvaged an enemy mech late in the first battle causing it to salvage by ramming it with a recovery vehical     I number  crunched and crunched and figured out that was just the point amount needed to win
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."
City Fighting-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20092.0.html
Sword of Light-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18206.msg416054.html#msg416054
Lyran Guards-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18212.msg411418.html#msg411418
3rd Edition love-http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,18214.0.html

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #40 on: 26 September 2011, 04:01:00 »
Back when they did the Caves scenario..I took Exarch Jonah Levin and Solitude....and used them
as BAIT while my Highlander Kinnols and Sniper teams did the real killing work
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)